Bye Week Discussion: Better QB Chad Penning or Kenny O'Brien

Maxman

Who was a better QB  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who was a better QB

• Chad Pennington
    • Ken O'Brien

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't miss it.  Is there a stat to break out how much of that was RAC?  My guess is that that's how he had such a high average.  

But part of YAC is related to accuracy,  Hit a guy in stride and let him make a play.  Joe Montana built an all time great HOF career around that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Pennington was actually very accurate in the deep throws, btw.

Yeah he didn’t have a strong arm but what good is a strong arm if the pass is not completed. 

An underrated part of Pennington’s game was his ability to complete the deeper throws. (And I voted for Kenny O here)

He threw a very good bomb, nice arc, accurate.

He did not throw a very good 15 yard out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

But part of YAC is related to accuracy,  Hit a guy in stride and let him make a play.  Joe Montana built an all time great HOF career around that.

Very fair point.  No doubt about it.  And Zach is poor at it (how many times is GW reaching behind him).  Troy Aikman is another.  But Montana had JaMarcus Russel's arm compared to Chadwick.

While Kenny O had a cannon, I watched both and have to go with Penny.

The ONLY think Penny lacked was arm strength. He was such a heady player. Always making the right read. No fancy defenses badly confused him. One of his best plays was his play action. Even the announcers and camera man would follow the RB while Chad stands there in a deserted pocket with the ball behind his back. Sitting for the first 2 years probably helped his game. If only he had a bit more of an arm, we'd have multiple SBs right now.

7 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

While Kenny O had a cannon, I watched both and have to go with Penny.

The ONLY think Penny lacked was arm strength. He was such a heady player. Always making the right read. No fancy defenses badly confused him. One of his best plays was his play action. Even the announcers and camera man would follow the RB while Chad stands there in a deserted pocket with the ball behind his back. Sitting for the first 2 years probably helped his game. If only he had a bit more of an arm, we'd have multiple SBs right now.

Penny had a decent arm up until those rotator cuff injuries. Watch his college tape throwing to Randy Moss

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think the rules back then destroyed him ... I remember Lott giving an interview about his technique and it went something like ... "I ball up all my fire and then explode from my toes all the way up through my soul .. every ounce of me going into the hit" .. his ' woo hits '

Dude was a kamikaze.

Different game altogether than today.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Back when men were men