Ranking top 5 Rookie DE's through Wk 9

How is everyone feeling about Jermaine Johnson through week 9 compared to the other Defensive ends selected in the first round? 

Jermaine > Kayvon

Jermaine > Karlalftis

Jermaine < Hutch

Jermaine < Walker

I like what I see from Jermaine Johnson so far. His ability to set the edge was always a strength. I loved his effort last week with the big plays in the second half. Before his sack, on the previous drive, he had another pressure. I believe it forced a punt late in the game.

It was like Allen was surprised he couldn't outrun JJ. He seemed to get flustered looking down the field to get the ball out and couldn't make a play. Allen tried to outrun him again then got sacked.  

I've only seen Karlalftis play once and he stood out. Hutch I heard had a good start and his buzz has fallen off along with his play. So to sum things up I fairly happy with Johnson and there's no need to compare. 

Both the Chiefs and Jets got the best value in the backend of the 1st round on their selections. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen Machine said:

How is everyone feeling about Jermaine Johnson through week 9 compared to the other Defensive ends selected in the first round? 

Jermaine > Kayvon

Jermaine > Karlalftis

Jermaine < Hutch

Jermaine < Walker

I like what I see from Jermaine Johnson so far. His ability to set the edge was always a strength. I loved his effort last week with the big plays in the second half. Before his sack, on the previous drive, he had another pressure. I believe it forced a punt late in the game.

It was like Allen was surprised he couldn't outrun JJ. He seemed to get flustered looking down the field to get the ball out and couldn't make a play. Allen tried to outrun him again then got sacked.  

Not sure why you'd be surprised that he could catch Allen.  Johnson was like 2 tenths faster in the 40.  He skipped the agility tests which are how you usually project pass rushers.  That scares some people off, but I think it fits what the Jets want. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not sure why you'd be surprised that he could catch Allen.  Johnson was like 2 tenths faster in the 40.  He skipped the agility tests which are how you usually project pass rushers.  That scares some people off, but I think it fits what the Jets want. 

I saw Josh Allen run 60yds for a td… ??‍♂️

Also I didnt say I was surprised. I said “it was like Josh was surprised”.
 I don’t know if Allen thought JJ had a chance when JJ is 275 lbs and coming off a chip block.

All to say, it was awesome! 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Pass rushers take a while to bake… 

Early returns look good as an edge setter with some sack/pressure production.  Unlikely he will be an elite sack artist but should be a solid starter for many years.

JJ has 2.5 sacks in 57 pass attempts, which is about the equivalent of 2 games .   I realize its a small sample but it projects to 20 sacks a year.  Even if he only gets 10-12 thats pretty respectable.  I wouldnt write him off as an elite sack artist just yet.   I can see all 4 of this years draft being All Pro in the next few yrs

• Upvote 1