Expected Points Added (EPA) Impact from dropped passes

Claymation

I'm interested to know how they calculate this. Is a catch that was dropped but had no way of being a TD pass if caught a drop that was counted if it moved the team significantly closer? Are PATs, 2 pt conversions and field goals counted in this EPA, or just touchdowns? If so, what if a kick is missed?

Tom Brady and Justin Herbert like Zac Wilson throw uncatchable passes.
I think the 'catchable' comment came because the kind of velocity Zach throws with is special. Brady has special zip on the ball too. Yes Brady's deep ball isn't/wasn't amazing .. but the zip was special .. Favre threw like a cannon ... G Wilson probably just hadn't seen that before, and now he has adjusted.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think the 'catchable' comment came because the kind of velocity Zach throws with is special. Brady has special zip on the ball too. Yes Brady's deep ball isn't/wasn't amazing .. but the zip was special .. Favre threw like a cannon ... G Wilson probably just hadn't seen that before, and now he has adjusted.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Zach has tempered his velocity a little as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Zach has tempered his velocity a little as well. 

He still throws behind, too high, too low, etc.  Good QBs make the receiver's job easy, Zach hasn't done that consistently.  

It's actually impressive how much Corey Davis and especially Garret Wilson have caught inaccurate passes from Zach this year.  

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

He still throws behind, too high, too low, etc.  Good QBs make the receiver's job easy, Zach hasn't done that consistently.  

It's actually impressive how much Corey Davis and especially Garret Wilson have caught inaccurate passes from Zach this year.  

It’s actually normal and happens all the time in the NFL lol.  I thought of JN and the accuracy expectation here and laughed while I watched the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

This is so wrong I can barely explain it but I will try. 
Surely Zach hasn’t been perfect but no QB’s are.  Difference is WR’s made plays for their QB.   G Wilson is starting to - Corey Davis almost  never does.   

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Surely Zach hasn’t been perfect but no QB’s are.  Difference is WR’s made plays for their QB.   G Wilson is starting to - Corey Davis almost  never does.   

Davis never did last year for sure, he was having a much better year making tough catches.  Garret Wilson most impressive trait this year has been his ability to adjust and catch Zach's poorly placed balls.

Zach is doing better with his ball placement this year than last but that's an extremely low bar.  If he can't clean it up consistently from where he is now then he'e not a franchise QB, plain and simple.  I'm cautiously optimistic be will.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Davis before getting hurt has been amazing. Garrett Wilson has 521 yards on 42 receptions. Corey Davis has 351 on 19 receptions. That's an extra 6 yards per reception. These are the top 2 receivers on the team. 

No QBs are perfect, but Zach is more consistently missing receivers due to bad passes than other QBs. Jets WRs are certainly not the worst in the league, but Zach is pretty near that in completion %. 

Amazing we turned a post about the Jets being 2nd in the league in DROPPED PASSES into another "Zach is awful" post. When he wins a Super Bowl, and he will, y'all will complain that his completion percentage (the most overrated stat in the NFL) was too low.

Where is Patsfan80 with a Jim Carrey (never even remotely funny), meme. 

Pathetic. Miserable. So many ways to describe these forums. Embarrassing being a Jets fans with most of you. Hope to never see you at a Jets game, though you probably never go anyways. You just come in here and complain. What a sad life.

';

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 2

3 hours ago, Hex said:

Davis before getting hurt has been amazing. Garrett Wilson has 521 yards on 42 receptions. Corey Davis has 351 on 19 receptions. That's an extra 6 yards per reception. These are the top 2 receivers on the team. 

No QBs are perfect, but Zach is more consistently missing receivers due to bad passes than other QBs. Jets WRs are certainly not the worst in the league, but Zach is pretty near that in completion %. 

Well if they caught those balls they dropped Zac would be much better in completion percentage

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Well if they caught those balls they dropped Zac would be much better in completion percentage

Jets are middle of the pack in the NFL in terms of drops. There's 8 teams that have more and like 5 that have the same amount as the Jets. Teams like the Buccaneers and Chiefs and Dolphins have more drops, and yet they have much more accurate passers. The issue isn't all on Zach and the WRs need to do better but they are not the main problem.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Jets are middle of the pack in the NFL in terms of drops. There's 8 teams that have more and like 5 that have the same amount as the Jets. Teams like the Buccaneers and Chiefs and Dolphins have more drops, and yet they have much more accurate passers. The issue isn't all on Zach and the WRs need to do better but they are not the main problem.

Jets are second highest in dropped balls according to that graphic.  Do you have different data?

And considering that we are not a pass happy offense, being second in dropped passes is really first on a proportionate or percentage basis.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Where is Patsfan80 with a Jim Carrey (never even remotely funny), meme. 

Pathetic. Miserable. So many ways to describe these forums. Embarrassing being a Jets fans with most of you. Hope to never see you at a Jets game, though you probably never go anyways. You just come in here and complain. What a sad life.

Wtf is it with you?  Did you not recall the thread I started on Monday where I admitted I was wrong about Zach Wilson's ability to demonstrate progress?  I even tagged you on it.  In addition, the meme I posted you're referring to was about Sam Darnold, not Zach Wilson.  lmao.  

Give it a rest.  The only miserable one is you, because you make every single thing you read on an internet message board super serious.  You even left the board for 9 friggin years only to come back and keep on whining over...what, exactly?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Jets are second highest in dropped balls according to that graphic.  Do you have different data?

And considering that we are not a pass happy offense, being second in dropped passes is really first on a proportionate or percentage basis.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

That was my source, and a few other sites also said the same thing.

I see what you're saying though.