2023 draft

AlexVanDyke

Would you trade up and or trade out of the draft to accumulate more picks on future drafts?  I feel with so many hits including late rounds hits in the last few years, we don’t need 7 new picks and ot may be a good time to either get value in future facts or get a combine picks to get a couple of studs  . 

37 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Would you trade up and or trade out of the draft to accumulate more picks on future drafts?  I feel with so many hits including late rounds hits in the last few years, we don’t need 7 new picks and ot may be a good time to either get value in future facts or get a combine picks to get a couple of studs  . 

You constantly need to reload. If there is a great LB, OT, even a WR there, you take them. Trading out is also an option but I would  want to be blown away with an offer to do it. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Nope. Make great draft picks and keep the pipeline of good young players coming in!

I think that is always JD's plan going in, but he does an excellent job on capitalizing what is happening in the draft rather than having an inflexible plan going into the draft. He will trade to where the value is as the draft is happening. He'll trade up if a guy he really likes has not been selected where JD has him on his board -- like JJ, and he'll trade back if he thinks there is more value in doing so.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wit said:

I think its clear that JD thinks the first 3-4 rounds matter more and will package picks to trade up for players he believes in. 

Well it seemed clear the last 2 years, but he needed must-start-now guys and further had so many picks he had that luxury.

The year before that, when he didn't have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, he stayed pat in round 1 and traded down in round 2 and then traded down again from the bottom of round 3.

Without an extra 1st rounder, plus an extra 3rd or 2nd on top of that, and with our picks having lower slots in each round, I think it's reasonable to expect less trading up.

I think we need to keep drafting and have players in the pipeline. because in a few years with the way we just hit the last two drafts we are gonna have to pay a lot of guys. Can’t pay everybody.  so if a guy or two walks or gets traded, we have youngsters right behind them. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well it seemed clear the last 2 years, but he needed must-start-now guys and further had so many picks he had that luxury.

The year before that, when he didn't have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, he stayed pat in round 1 and traded down in round 2 and then traded down again from the bottom of round 3.

Without an extra 1st rounder, plus an extra 3rd or 2nd on top of that, and with our picks having lower slots in each round, I think it's reasonable to expect less trading up.

I’d expect his philosophy to change year to year depending on the circumstances. This year he clearly, aggressively, went all in on a quality over quantity approach. There was talk that this year’s draft was pretty deep thru the first few rounds, then dropped off. It would seem that’s how JD saw it. He probably saw that he didn’t have a lot of room on his roster for rookies, either (Jets had a lot of their cuts scooped up by other teams), so trading picks for better selections made sense. In years where maybe he’s losing talent because of age or contract, he might be more inclined to collect more picks. I think there will be a roster glut again this year, though. That would probably lead him to follow this same trade up philosophy that looks as if it really paid off. I’d expect him to target a specific player or two and make moves. But it’s way to early to play the game of what position that might fill. 

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Nope. Make great draft picks and keep the pipeline of good young players coming in!

Normally I would agree. But really, it depends on so many variables. 

Where are we selecting? 

Who is there when we are selecting?

Who did we get/lose in FA? 

Is there an opportunity for a player trade that would fill a major hole or take us up to another level?

We dealing with any uncertainty on the horizon due to injury?     

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Normally I would agree. But really, it depends on so many variables. 

Where are we selecting? 

Who is there when we are selecting?

Who did we get/lose in FA? 

Is there an opportunity for a player trade that would fill a major hole or take us up to another level?

We dealing with any uncertainty on the horizon due to injury?     

Agree with all of this. Given the cap considerations this coming year (extensions, etc.,) I'm not sure I foresee big moves up in the draft, unless someone really attractive drops for unseen circumstances. Maybe just consolidating picks from rounds 5-7 into earlier picks in rounds 1-4? JD has been pretty good in finding UFA's right after the draft: maybe he doesn't see that there is that big a drop off between a 6th or 7th round pick and a UFA - especially when he can move up some slots or a round trading with a GM who sees those picks as being more valuable than UFA's.  

7 hours ago, slats said:

I’d expect his philosophy to change year to year depending on the circumstances. This year he clearly, aggressively, went all in on a quality over quantity approach. There was talk that this year’s draft was pretty deep thru the first few rounds, then dropped off. It would seem that’s how JD saw it. He probably saw that he didn’t have a lot of room on his roster for rookies, either (Jets had a lot of their cuts scooped up by other teams), so trading picks for better selections made sense. In years where maybe he’s losing talent because of age or contract, he might be more inclined to collect more picks. I think there will be a roster glut again this year, though. That would probably lead him to follow this same trade up philosophy that looks as if it really paid off. I’d expect him to target a specific player or two and make moves. But it’s way to early to play the game of what position that might fill. 

Pretty much what I think, too. Depends on the situation, and the recent situation - two years in a row - was that he had 3+ drafts' worth of picks in 2 drafts (when factoring in not just quantity, or quantity up top, but the pick slots in those upper rounds are like 4 years' worth of picks for perennial playoff teams).

The team wasn't just bereft of young starters (starting for more reasons than there was no one else). It needed playmakers & difference-makers, not just a mere upgrade from Bless Austin, Alex Lewis, or Bell/Gore; he could've upgraded from those guys in the draft and still not ended up with anything special.

He won't have as many extra picks in '23. At the same time he won't have as many holes either, so it depends who's there. I think he'll sit back, but if there's an omg I can't believe this guy fell within reach at and fill a need in lock & key fashion, I wouldn't put it past him to move up again. Barring that, I don't expect it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Pretty much what I think, too. Depends on the situation, and the recent situation - two years in a row - was that he had 3+ drafts' worth of picks in 2 drafts (when factoring in not just quantity, or quantity up top, but the pick slots in those upper rounds are like 4 years' worth of picks for perennial playoff teams).

I could also see a Howie Roseman type move (AJ Brown) trading for a disgruntled stud for a mid-round 1st & mid-round pick and locking him up. 
The Jags trade for Ridley was an interesting move. Curious how it will play out next year. 

• Upvote 1

Do not trade up. Mainly, because we no longer have the picks resources we had before.

Whether it's from FA or the draft, in no particular order, we need LB, S, OT, G, C, WR.

At WR we have Davis, Mims, and Moore, and it's possible that we may part ways with two of them. So, we need support there.

What's going to happen with Mosley and Quincy? The LB position needs to be addressed.

Joyner was going to retire before the Jets made him an offer. So we need another S.

Everything in the OL needs support, and I don't think it needs explaining.

• Upvote 1