Jump to content

Just a little bye-week fun


EM31
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK so as the title suggest this is just a way to have a conversation on a topic (however unlikely) to help us kill some time during an off week.

In other words don't go nuts here.  Also, if you think the premise is not worth discussing then don't.  Simply let this cup pass without trying to influence others who might want to weigh in.

Premise (2-parts)

  1. Zach plays badly enough during the remainder of the year to make it clear that he is not going to be our long term answer at QB. The jets 2022 record brings us well outside of the premiere QB draft position window.
  2. Green Bay gets into a full meltdown (as I think may already be happening) where the team simply quits on the QB. Players not trying and internal sniping gets to the point that they a ready for a full on rebuild over there.

Question (Again in 2-parts)

  1.  Is Rogers poison at this point or do you think that in a new environment that he could still lead a team to a championship?
  2. If the answer to 1 at this point is "could still lead a team" then are we that team how much would you give up to get him?

Once again thread police. please desist.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard pass on Aaron Rodgers under any circumstance. He is poison, what they are building here is more of a long term sustained success kind of thing. Sure you trade up if you an win a Super Bowl, but with a 14 TD \ 7 INT season underway, you have to wonder if age is creeping in. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anything that involves Aaron Rodgers coming to Jets  is a non starter. 
Haven’t we learned anything at all about getting over tge hill QBs from Green Bay

This guy with his bloated salary and me first attitude would kill the camaraderie on this young very impressionable team. Not to mention the fact the disdain Rodgers has for LaFluer as his head coach do you think his attitude gets any better if LaFleurs little brother is his OC Saleh won’t stand for it and JD isn’t trading for this potential headache 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My son and I had the same discussion about 3 weeks ago.  At the time, I would have been all in on a move to acquire Rodgers.  But now, I am not so sure.  He looks bad.  Its not just his receivers.  He made some awful decisions last week against Detroit, has missed open receivers fairly consistently.  

I like what we are building here.  If it turns out Zach is not the answer, I woudl prefer the approach that @slimjasi outlined above.  Get a younger vet who could potentially be here a while if he works out. 

I am afraid if we went all in for Rodgers, we would have buyer's remorse similar to what Denver is feeling right now. Cap and picks needed to acquire a guy on the downside of his career is too steep a price to pay.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Not to mention the fact the disdain Rodgers has for LaFluer as his head coach do you think his attitude gets any better if LaFleurs little brother is his OC Saleh won’t stand for it and JD isn’t trading for this potential headache 

Good point. I was also going to bring up the LaFleur issue. Mike LaFleur has talked openly about talking to his brother about the packers and Jets on a weekly basis - I can't imagine the endorsement of AROD is very encouraging right about now. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The consensus here seems to agree with my own position but there is this little niggle that keeps whispering that if he is cheap enough and if we think we are close enough except for a QB that we might have to explore the option while holding our nose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EM31 said:

The consensus here seems to agree with my own position but there is this little niggle that keeps whispering that if he is cheap enough and if we think we are close enough except for a QB that we might have to explore the option while holding our nose.

The bolded, in and of itself, is a pipe dream, IMO

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d bring back Geno over Rodgers at this point every day and twice on Sundays. He’s only 32 and, unlike Rodgers, is actually playing at a high level. 
 
But it is a weird time for this thread as Zach looks about as safe for a third season as he has so far this year. Massive test next week. He’s one player who’s probably not relaxing on his alleged week off. So even if circumstances turned to where the Jets were looking at the veteran market, Rodgers is not only a poor choice based on his current level of play on the field, but probably an impossible choice based on his contract. Can’t quite see Green Bay absorbing a $100M cap hit to unload him. I’d’ve left the veteran QB field wide open. That’s a conversation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

So you could even say that he would "be in Jeopardy" eh?

Any other vets who might be attractive?

I'd pretty much prefer anyone to Aaron Rodgers if we're playing this game.  He's not what this team needs as they're building the culture.  In the event that the Jets had to replace Zach, I'd go w/ Jimmy G. > Marcus Mariota > Ryan Tannehill > Jacoby Brissett > Teddy Bridgewater > Jameis Winston.  I'd monitor Geno and Daniel Jones, all before I make a call for that whack job diva and I'm sure have to pay some of that 80 mil guaranteed he's got coming to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The consensus here seems to agree with my own position but there is this little niggle that keeps whispering that if he is cheap enough and if we think we are close enough except for a QB that we might have to explore the option while holding our nose.

Not only do I think Rodgers "me" mentality is toxic to the culture being built. 

The team is so young,  they need a person in that position they can really around for years to come.  I don't think Rodgers has years left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The Gardner Minshew love around here

Yeah I'd be open to it. Also, I'm the first to mention it in this thread so is the love really that strong or are you exaggerating? Others mentioned in this thread: Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Mariota, etc. -- they don't make me feel any better. You failed to see the part I said about drafting a QB to give time to develop I guess cause that's the main thing I'd be interested in doing. Not to mention Minshew is like Fitz part 2 and would probably be hella fun. I am rooting for Zach but this is just for "fun"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Drums said:

Yeah I'd be open to it. Also, I'm the first to mention it in this thread so is the love really that strong or are you exaggerating? Others mentioned in this thread: Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Mariota, etc. -- they don't make me feel any better. You failed to see the part I said about drafting a QB to give time to develop I guess cause that's the main thing I'd be interested in doing. Not to mention Minshew is like Fitz part 2 and would probably be hella fun. I am rooting for Zach but this is just for "fun"

I am in favor of this route next time.  The problem with Zach and Sam in some ways was that they were pushed into starting right away because of where they were drafted.  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder not named Hackenberg will work out better for us next time.  Especially if we give him time to develop.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rodgers would destroy the AFCE with the weapons we have and make Josh Allen go home and cry to his mommy. The Packers sucked at getting him weapons and then traded away the one he had. WTF is wrong w/them?

I fear this is true, especially if JD can finish the job on rebuilding the offensive line.  I do not think Rogers is done even though I do think he is done in Green Bay.... Still there is the whole "toxic" thing which is probably the deal-breaker here even more so than whatever draft picks we would have to give up or salary cap considerations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The Gardner Minshew love around here

All depends on how Zach finishes out this season. If he finishes strong… top 15 over last 8 games then no way JD signs GM to distract Zach. 
ZW finishes bottom 6 rated Qb over last 8 games I think you have to bring in a capable vet. We can’t waste another season waiting to see if Zach can be “The Guy”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think that another option at qb would be prudent as Zach has been injured on top of being hit or miss. Whether that’s through the draft or bringing in another vet to actually be a serious option, I don’t think I care. I just don’t want that to be Rogers. The dude was sick five to ten years ago but now is just too depressing to bring to this energetic team. It reeks of TannyMacc, not JD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, EM31 said:

OK so as the title suggest this is just a way to have a conversation on a topic (however unlikely) to help us kill some time during an off week.

In other words don't go nuts here.  Also, if you think the premise is not worth discussing then don't.  Simply let this cup pass without trying to influence others who might want to weigh in.

Premise (2-parts)

  1. Zach plays badly enough during the remainder of the year to make it clear that he is not going to be our long term answer at QB. The jets 2022 record brings us well outside of the premiere QB draft position window.
  2. Green Bay gets into a full meltdown (as I think may already be happening) where the team simply quits on the QB. Players not trying and internal sniping gets to the point that they a ready for a full on rebuild over there.

Question (Again in 2-parts)

  1.  Is Rogers poison at this point or do you think that in a new environment that he could still lead a team to a championship?
  2. If the answer to 1 at this point is "could still lead a team" then are we that team how much would you give up to get him?

Once again thread police. please desist.

I don't  think Rogers is poison, but I do think we aren't at the Rent a QB level yet. Maybe in 2 years if Zach doesn't  pan out. Also, Zach will have to bring his play to a new level of bad for the team to look elsewhere.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...