NFLPA calls for 'immediate replacement and ban' from slit-firm turf field

THE BARON

11 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I think there’s some truth to this.   Regarding Breece specifically he was hurt in Denver so can’t blame our field for that unless Denver has the same type of surface. 

Indeed.  That was a dumb comments on my part.  Denver does not have split-firm turf.  They have real grass.  Kentucky Bue Grass.  I was just thinking of all the knee and ankle injuries in general and had Breece in mind. 

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  That was a dumb comments on my part.  Denver does not have split-firm turf.  They have real grass.  Kentucky Bue Grass.  I was just thinking of all the knee and ankle injuries in general and had Breece in mind. 

I wonder if these type of injuries are built over many weeks rather than just a sudden occurrence. Point being, yea it happened on a grass surface but all offseason, preseason, practice and home games leading up to that may have caused unknown damage previously.

Hoping one of our medical geniuses on here can speak this.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wonder if these type of injuries are built over many weeks rather than just a sudden occurrence. Point being, yea it happened on a grass surface but all offseason, preseason, practice and home games leading up to that may have caused unknown damage previously.

Hoping one of our medical geniuses on here can speak this.

That is a great point.  Does playing and practicing on a bad filed regularly cause some sort of accumulated wear that can make a catastrophic knee or ankle injury more likely ? 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

That makes no sense considering how much the owners pay their player's. 

With revenue sharing, you could argue that owners are less likely to be concerned about winning and losing so the players don't matter as much as they used to. 

While nfl teams do make some extra money via ticket sales, it's negligible vs tv deals and other nfl revenue streams that are shared equally. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Money. The answer is always money. Owners don't care about the health of their players outside of quarterbacks. They'd rather save the money as natural grass fields are more expensive to maintain. 

But this i dont get. How much is it to maintain 100 yards of grass for a season as opposed to medical bills for player injuries?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

But this i dont get. How much is it to maintain 100 yards of grass for a season as opposed to medical bills for player injuries?

They're going to have to pay a lot of medical bills anyways (If they even do to begin with), the grass just reduces the chances a lot. Probably not enough to warrant  change in the owner's eyes. Grass fields need to be mowed and watered and uniforms have to get cleaned a lot more rigorously. While injuries might add a little extra expense, changing it out looks more costly. I know it's weird

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I think most fields would be just slightly more cost to use real grass. The real challenge is fields used by multiple teams and the timing/scheduling of fixing the field when it gets badly worn.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I’m all for it, but it’s probably more complicated than rolling it out on a Wednesday.

I bet the turf companies have contracts with the stadiums etc etc. 

seems like an off season deal  

if they have solid data on these type of fields and the NFL is serious about player safety they should bit the bullet and buy out whatever contracts they need to.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hex said:

They're going to have to pay a lot of medical bills anyways (If they even do to begin with), the grass just reduces the chances a lot. Probably not enough to warrant  change in the owner's eyes. Grass fields need to be mowed and watered and uniforms have to get cleaned a lot more rigorously. While injuries might add a little extra expense, changing it out looks more costly. I know it's weird

real grass is real football.  

• Upvote 2

Money. The answer is always money. Owners don't care about the health of their players outside of quarterbacks. They'd rather save the money as natural grass fields are more expensive to maintain. 
But what makes no sense is that the practice facility has like 3 grass fields...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sign me up.  And I know exactly what we need to do.

We will grow grass on trays.  Yes.  You see these trays will fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.  And whenever one of them is worn out, we can replace it with an identical tray with some fresh turf.  If we keep a few trays of grass around, we will have a beautiful playing surface.  Why soon the entire league will be playing on Woody's trays of grass. 

What could possibly go wrong?

• Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

if the have solid data on these type of fields and the NFL is serious about player safety they should bit the bullet and buy out whatever contracts they need to.

Right I’m just saying that it’s likely more complicated than just installing it 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

The players, even non qbs, are worth far more (their contract value and worth to the team on the field) than the cost of great turf, or grass. Some teams just make poor choices without seeing the obvious. It's not as if the team is like "buy the crappy turf, but only the cheap stuff that doesn't hurt qbs"...

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I don’t get the pushback from the nfl on this.  If the players want to get rid of slit turf, just get rid of it I don’t understand what the big deal is. 

With turf, the stadium can quickly host other events that require rolling foldable seating or other equipment right over it with minimal damage. Grass needs recovery time between uses. As others have said, follow the money: the owners would rather have the money and pay for surgery than not hold concerts and other high revenue events at the same venue.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

With turf, the stadium can quickly host other events that require rolling foldable seating or other equipment right over it with minimal damage. Grass needs recovery time between uses. As others have said, follow the money: the owners would rather have the money and pay for surgery than not hold concerts and other high revenue events at the same venue.

Bingo

13 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I’m not talking about grass, just about swapping out the slit turf for what the turf the players prefer.  Putting down turf isn’t that expensive.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

And yes.  MetLife has slit-firm turf.  Perhaps Breece and a few others would have been spared with better turf ??? Just a thought.

Breece got injured in an away game, but in general I agree that it needs to be addressed. The franchises from NY should set the bar in excellence.

• Upvote 1