State of the Jets vs. Expectations at the BYE

bostonmajet

So, at the beginning of the season there was a lot of talk about what made a successful season and what expectations we had. Here are mine and it is looking pretty good.

1. 6 to 8 wins. A little over half-way there and we are already at 6 wins. Check!

2. Defense turn around and start playing well under new scheme by the halfway mark - They did this 4 weeks early - Check!

3. ZW shows that he can be the guy. He has had his ups and downs, this is still a work in progress - Incomplete!

4. Play meaningful games in December. With a 6-3 record and with only 2 games left in November we are there - Check!

So, basically except for knowing if ZW is the guy or at least is going to get another year, they have accomplished what they needed to do this year. With that in mind, I am optimistic of the following:

1. The Jets have a good shot of breaking the 500 mark; only 3 wins needed. If this team can keep the momentum up, we should be able to achieve this.

2. Make the playoffs - 4 or 5 wins should get us into the playoffs with the expanded field. The division is tough again this year, but we he still have a shot at it.

Great year so far with some crippling injuries.

Go JETS.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

So instead of waisting our time with wondering why on earth bad things will happen in the 2nd half or by complaining ourselves, we just have to accept it, and try to make the best of the season, don't let it get destroyed by the bad things if they do happen. We should keep the first half  with us and don't forget it, remember that those wonderful memories are what make life worth living, doesn't matter how it goes or how it ends, we ourselves choose on what to put the emphasis, put the nice, good memories on the first place, they give you the energy and courage to live on.

That's what I feel, and it's a support to me, eventhough it has a very bitter undertone and it says very well how hard and how raw life as a die hard jets fan can be, it gives me a positive message.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this team will make the playoffs.

I think we face a very difficult schedule, and we're not ready yet to defeat it, primarily on Offense.

I hope my pessimism is unfounded, but we'll start to find out next week. 

A loss to New England would be bad for our post-season asperations.  They're beatable.  More than many of our remaining opponents.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I think we face a very difficult schedule, and we're not ready yet to defeat it, primarily on Offense.

A loss to New England would be bad for our post-season asperations.  They're beatable.  More than many of our remaining opponents.

Didn’t you write a love letter to Zach that he answered?

My recollection was you wouldn’t doubt the team if they pulled off a win 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, I’m kind of with you. I predicted 6-8 wins at the beginning of the season (with mostly competitive losses) and I’m going to stick with that, though I can see them winning 9 and squeaking into the tournament. The team looks worlds better than last year which is what I hoped to see. They can challenge anyone this season but they’re still such a young team and still figuring out who they are and how to win on the regular. 

Being wrong would be awesome, though. I’d love to see them confidently stroll into the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The second half of the season is easier than the first half.  So much for strength of schedule.  
Accept the fact that this team is pretty damn good.  You’re always preaching that you’ll hold off the optimism until they prove themselves.  Well they have, there’s talent on this team, lots of it and they’re well coached.  Enjoy it

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

So, at the beginning of the season there was a lot of talk about what made a successful season and what expectations we had. Here are mine and it is looking pretty good.

1. 6 to 8 wins. A little over half-way there and we are already at 6 wins. Check!

2. Defense turn around and start playing well under new scheme by the halfway mark - They did this 4 weeks early - Check!

3. ZW shows that he can be the guy. He has had his ups and downs, this is still a work in progress - Incomplete!

4. Play meaningful games in December. With a 6-3 record and with only 2 games left in November we are there - Check!

So, basically except for knowing if ZW is the guy or at least is going to get another year, they have accomplished what they needed to do this year. With that in mind, I am optimistic of the following:

1. The Jets have a good shot of breaking the 500 mark; only 3 wins needed. If this team can keep the momentum up, we should be able to achieve this.

2. Make the playoffs - 4 or 5 wins should get us into the playoffs with the expanded field. The division is tough again this year, but we he still have a shot at it.

Go JETS.

1) The minimum # of wins I would've accepted for a "good season" was 8.  And tbh, I really wanted at least 9.

2) I wanted the defense to improve from "historically bad" to around #20 in the NFL.  Amazingly, we're a top 5 defense and potentially even #1.  Even more amazing, the NFL seems to be changing and defense matters again.  You can win with ground-and-pound and a great defense (I love that style of football, btw).  That has surprised me more than the improvement in our defense.

3) I was hoping for much more progress from ZW than we've seen but he still deserves the entire season before I judge him too harshly.  But the early returns have definitely not been great.  And going into the season, his progress was the #1 most important thing to me.  But we're seen so much improvement in other areas that it's been a lot easier to deal with his mediocre (at best) play.  And I still hold out hope every single week that he's going to have a breakout game.  If that does happen, the sky is the limit with this team.

4) This also felt like a big year for judging Saleh, Ulbrich and LaFleur.  So far I feel like they're all getting a passing grade (certainly Ulbrich and Saleh).  And of course, the one guy I had the most faith in (LaFleur) has been the worst of the 3.  But these grades are still up for debate.  The hardest part of the season is coming up.  All 3 still have plenty to prove. 

As for the playoffs, I do expect the Jets to make it.  We have a very tough division (probably the toughest in the NFL) but I don't want this team to start in with excuses.  There's enough talent here to get it done.  I think the only thing that can hold us back (assuming we're healthy) is ZW.  And the expectations have to be raised for him.  Throwing for 130 yards and no INTs isn't enough.  He needs to start being a driver of the team's success if we have bigger aspirations.

The last 7 minutes of the Bills game was extraordinary encouraging.  They ran it 7 times, chewed clock and forced the bills to use all 3 timeouts, converted a yuge , clutch 1st down by passing it, and the defense shut them DOWN.  that wasn’t the Texans either, that was the best team in football and a division rival, that was no trap game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Go JETS.

Agree with all and believe me I’m thrilled, but unfortunately the MOST important of all of the above is to see if Zach is the guy. Incomplete but still hope! Just imagine this team if he turns out to be THE guy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

The last 7 minutes of the Bills game was extraordinary encouraging.  They ran it 7 times, chewed clock and forced the bills to use all 3 timeouts, converted a yuge , clutch 1st down by passing it, and the defense shut them DOWN.  that wasn’t the Texans either, that was the best team in football and a division rival, that was no trap game. 

Those last 7 minutes were stunning to me.  How can our OL, which has been decimated, dominate one of the best teams in football like that?!

Otoh, I still feel like it says something about ZW that our CS called almost all runs on that drive.  I don't want to rehash the "running was successful so it made no sense to throw" argument.  Tbh, I agreed with the calls.  But I still think it says something about a lack of confidence in ZW.  Something like "he's played a solid game today.  Let's not risk him throwing an INT and having to answer to the media all week, which would potentially damage his confidence".   Again, I agree with the strategy.  But I will still insist that if this team has bigger aspirations, they're going to need to take the training wheels off ZW at some point.   I want that to start next week in New England and go on for the rest of the season.  We need to see if this kid has "it" or not.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the Claw said:

Yeah, I’m kind of with you. I predicted 6-8 wins at the beginning of the season (with mostly competitive losses) and I’m going to stick with that, though I can see them winning 9 and squeaking into the tournament. The team looks worlds better than last year which is what I hoped to see. They can challenge anyone this season but they’re still such a young team and still figuring out who they are and how to win on the regular. 

Being wrong would be awesome, though. I’d love to see them confidently stroll into the playoffs.

Don't get it. Seriously. You are thinking the Jets will completely fall off the map and there is objectively not a single reason to think that.

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It’s ok.  I write open love letters to Zach on JN too.  

I also expect ups and downs for him the rest of the way.  

It's ups and downs for every single QB in the NFL.  Could you imagine this board if Zach threw two Red Zone INTs and fumbled in the end zone for a TD to just hand a game to the Vikings

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't get it. Seriously. You are thinking the Jets will completely fall off the map and there is objectively not a single reason to think that.

I don’t think they’ll fall off the map at all. I think they’ll be competitive, I just think there are more losses in the coming weeks than wins. Like I said, if they win the three games they’re more likely to win, the playoffs are a chance. The rest are totally up in the air, and they haven’t shown me they can be a consistent threat. One game against the Bills does not a champion make. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Open letter, not love letter, but Yes.

I wouldn't doubt Zach.  

For a lot of games Zach was the only part of the team that didn't look amazing. If you don't doubt him now what do you doubt about the team?

Jets have exceeded my expectations. Even though our record a 1/2 way mark is right where I predicted at the start, I guess deep down I never truly believed they'd find a way, but they have.

My concerns now are with injuries catching up. So far, JoeD had done great navigating the minefield. Flacco for Zack, Herbig filling in for Max (and AVT) has worked very well. Carter re-taking the #1 RB title after Breece went down seems to have worked pretty good so far. But now Sheldin Rankins is out 3-4 weeks (at least). Rankins was a big part of our d-line rotation and had several key pressures and sacks. We now need the youngins to fill in for Rankins. Jermain and Clemons need to keep up the great work.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Jets have exceeded my expectations. Even though our record a 1/2 way mark is right where I predicted at the start, I guess deep down I never truly believed they'd find a way, but they have.

My concerns now are with injuries catching up. So far, JoeD had done great navigating the minefield. Flacco for Zack, Herbig filling in for Max (and AVT) has worked very well. Carter re-taking the #1 RB title after Breece went down seems to have worked pretty good so far. But now Sheldin Rankins is out 3-4 weeks (at least). Rankins was a big part of our d-line rotation and had several key pressures and sacks. We now need the youngins to fill in for Rankins. Jermain and Clemons need to keep up the great work.

Jets have exceeded everybody's expectations. Most people expected the Jets to win 6-8 games, and they are 6-3 with 3 3-win teams on their schedule. Even if injuries mean they end up missing the playoffs or not getting very far into it, their roster is constructed in such a way that the window is open for 2+ more years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

Jets have exceeded everybody's expectations. Most people expected the Jets to win 6-8 games, and they are 6-3 with 3 3-win teams on their schedule. Even if injuries mean they end up missing the playoffs or not getting very far into it, their roster is constructed in such a way that the window is open for 2+ more years.

This is so true...and with the injuries, we've given nice play time to 2nd tier players. Herbig and Mims recently. Bottom 1/2 of our roster is so much better than years past, and like you said, tons of very young, very skilled talent that will only get better and better. Skys the limit for this squad. Can't wait!

• Upvote 1