Should you pay your QB a gazillion dollars and commit for many years

Beerfish

1 minute ago, Hex said:

No, you shouldn't. 

Look at the Aaron Rodgers situation. He wanted a big contract and in doing so they couldn't keep Adams. It's clear now that Adams was just as crucial to the team as Rodgers, and now they're in a pit with a big QB contract.

If you look at players like Tom Brady he gets paid a lot but is willing to take cuts for his team. This is a sign of a QB who cares more about winning than making money.

Yeah i was going to mention brady, he is still only making 25 million, well done the pay list.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

As a counterargument though, Allen and Mahomes are some of the leagues top-paid too, and it seems to be worth it. 

Yeah those are the guys i meant 'well worth it' but they are amongst a slew of guys who are not great or not great enough. 

I'd add lamar jackson as guy you should pay as to me he is a big part of why the ravens win.

Guys like rodgers and russell wilson paid for what they did years ago.  Guys like kyler murray paid for what he has never really shown for more than a few games.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I think if you do you better make sure he is not FQB but 1st ballot HOF

Like the Packers have? I would argue that in giving Rodgers that contract they screwed themselves over. Rodgers is a 1st ballot HOFer but he looks washed at this point and his contract forced the Pack to rid their team of Adams.

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Like the Packers have? I would argue that in giving Rodgers that contract they screwed themselves over. Rodgers is a 1st ballot HOFer but he looks washed at this point and his contract forced the Pack to rid their team of Adams.

True. They probably should have cut bait. My guess is that they know they blew the Jordan Love pick but someone like Arizona or Pittsburgh would roll the dice with him. 

• Upvote 1

This is a tough one. Stay with Zack for a min...

When the time comes, we probably will not have 100% evidence that ZW is a guaranteed FQB. He'll still be getting better. So what does JD do? Draw a reasonable line in the sand? Refuse to go higher, even if it means ZW hits the open market? I can actually see Joe Douglas doing just that...he seems very disciplined in his contract negotiations.

But with the Browns offering rapist Watson a fully guaranteed Billion Dollar Contract there is always SOME dumbass GM who ruins it every time. If JD doesn't back up the Brinks Truck, some other GM will.

So at the end of the day, if you have a QB whom the fans like and is pretty decent, you really have zero choice but to pay up, and every new QB contract seems to out-do the previous one. If ZW become even close to what we all hope he becomes, he could be looking at $50+m/yr just like all the other QBs. Josh Allen, that runt QB from the Cardinals who doesn't like to study, and Lamar very soon. 

If ANY GM draws a line in the sand, some other GM will jump in and snatch your guy up.

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

I truly believe we are a super bowl contender with average qb play.  I am hoping Zach transitions, and although young we have the talent.

So, no, I do not think many are worth it.

You make a very good point. Especially this year, having just an elite QB isn't going to turn out well. If there is any year to have a great team and a mediocre QB, this is it. I see this being the case for at least another few years too.

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

When the time comes, we probably will not have 100% evidence that ZW is a guaranteed FQB. He'll still be getting better. So what does JD do? Draw a reasonable line in the sand? Refuse to go higher, even if it means ZW hits the open market? I can actually see Joe Douglas doing just that...he seems very disciplined in his contract negotiations.

But with the Browns offering rapist Watson a fully guaranteed Billion Dollar Contract there is always SOME dumbass GM who ruins it every time. If JD doesn't back up the Brinks Truck, some other GM will.

So at the end of the day, if you have a QB whom the fans like and is pretty decent, you really have zero choice but to pay up, and every new QB contract seems to out-do the previous one. If ZW become even close to what we all hope he becomes, he could be looking at $50+m/yr just like all the other QBs. Josh Allen, that runt QB from the Cardinals who doesn't like to study, and Lamar very soon. 

If ANY GM draws a line in the sand, some other GM will jump in and snatch your guy up.

In 2.5 years if Zach isn't a sure FQB he doesn't get his 5th year option barring something crazy happening. JD is a very good GM and I don't see him extending Zach for big money unless he is a top 10 or better QB. If he's top 16 I can see him being extended for an ok amount but he has to be great to get a contract like Allen or Mahomes.

You can see what happens if a QB gets paid when they don't deserve it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

...maybe that's why it's a good idea to always have a young QB somewhere in the ranks who could possibly step up and take over if your starter runs to greener pastures? Should Jets burn another 4th on a developmental arm as insurance to losing ZW down the road?

Nah, sign or trade for a vet that isn't ancient, like Minshew or McCoy. They are solid QBs who are currently sitting behind better QBs (or at least higher paid ones). If Zach doesn't pan or gets hurt out they're a good replacement, especially in Minshew's case. 

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

The league minimum is 705K in 2022.  If we can sustain what we have now we should offer Zach 1M per year after his rookie contract is over.  We have to be stellar at all the other positions to carry him.  It's going to cost.

Or, 

we cut our losses get a competent vet and draft again.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

In 2.5 years if Zach isn't a sure FQB he doesn't get his 5th year option barring something crazy happening. JD is a very good GM and I don't see him extending Zach for big money unless he is a top 10 or better QB. If he's top 16 I can see him being extended for an ok amount but he has to be great to get a contract like Allen or Mahomes.

If Zach ever gets to top 20 he will have overachieved.  Its a 32 team league.  Zach is trash, and everyone here knows it.  

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

Yeah...sorta.  The Jets would have to pick up the option BEFORE May 3rd of the 4th year of the contract...so, 1.5 years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah...sorta.  The Jets would have to pick up the option BEFORE May 3rd of the 4th year of the contract...so, 1.5 years.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. 3 years in I still feel like we should know if Zach is the guy though.

54 minutes ago, Hex said:

If you look at players like Tom Brady he gets paid a lot but is willing to take cuts for his team. This is a sign of a QB who cares more about winning than making money.

And sells supplements to his team under the table. Tom cares about Tom 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

See Giants, NY…..in about 4 months with Daniel Jones. It’ll be fascinating. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hex said:

I hear ya, but it never seems that clear cut. Always a lot of gray area when it comes to extending a key player. There's going to be voices in the building that really want to extend him, other voices that aren't so sure. I guess that's why JD gets the big bucks.....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The league minimum is 705K in 2022.  If we can sustain what we have now we should offer Zach 1M per year after his rookie contract is over.  We have to be stellar at all the other positions to carry him.  It's going to cost.

Or, 

we cut our losses get a competent vet and draft again.

I read somewhere that Brady Quinn is gunning for Zack's job.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hex said:

No, you shouldn't. 

Look at the Aaron Rodgers situation. He wanted a big contract and in doing so they couldn't keep Adams. It's clear now that Adams was just as crucial to the team as Rodgers, and now they're in a pit with a big QB contract.

I think Brady is about the worst example you could make. It pretty well known the Pats were supporting his TB12 company. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Brady is about the worst example you could make. It pretty well known the Pats were supporting his TB12 company. 

I would disagree. He wanted to make money and so found alternative ways to do it instead of taking up all the cap space. His pay cuts are a big reason he has won 7 Super Bowls.

17 minutes ago, Hex said:

I would disagree. He wanted to make money and so found alternative ways to do it instead of taking up all the cap space. His pay cuts are a big reason he has won 7 Super Bowls.

Yeah, some pay cut. Hey Tom, we need to sercumvent the cap so we can use the money we would normally pay you to sign other players so here is a 20 million investment in TB 12 that nobody needs to know came from us and just sign this contract for half your normal salary.  

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, some pay cut. Hey Tom, we need to sercumvent the cap so we can use the money we would normally pay you to sign other players so here is a 20 million investment in TB 12 that nobody needs to know came from us and just sign this contract for half your normal salary.  

And yet it worked. They outthought the system.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Top paid QBs:

Aaron Rodgers

Russel Wilson

Kyler Murray

Deshaun Watson

Carr and Stafford making over $40 million

Goff, Wentz, Matt Ryan all making over 30 million.

Of course there are guys totally worth it but man some real bad contracts.

No. You shouldn’t pay any player that much especially not with a long contract. Are me injury or just bad play and it screws your team for years.