Should you pay your QB a gazillion dollars and commit for many years

Beerfish

BAL is going to have a tough decision to make.  It sounds like Lamar wants Watson money.  Word is he already turned down a Murray-level deal.  I have to think ARI will seriously wish they had a mulligan on that deal, if they don't already.  I don't see how BAL can give Lamar $45M/year+ at this point and expect to push themselves over the top.  

The only guy that got paid and still looks to be 100% worth it is Mahomes.  

• Upvote 2

Let's look at some examples-

• The Bucs, Titans and Browns took Jameis', Mariota's and Mayfield's fifth year option.  They really had no choice.  The Browns were able to recover something.  One year at that money is still worth the risk.  Its the longer contracts which become killers.
  • The Redskins strung Cousins along for 4 plus 2 Franchise Years.  I liked that plan.
  • Paying Sanchez, Goff and Wentz killed the Jets, Rams and Eagles.  
  • The Colts inability to find ANY decent QB to play basically got Frank Reich fired-he is a good coach.  
  • Unfortunately, if you extend your QB you end up paying him close to top $, even if he is not really worth that.  
  • For all of the knocks on Jimmy G, for what he makes he has yielded results for the 49ers.  I like that plan. 

So if I am JD, if there is a decent QB prospect when the Jets pick in the first round, I would seriously consider giving it a try.  The Jets will really stink if they have to pay ZW top QB money.  It is almost better off extending him early for less per year if he looks like he could be a good game manager. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I would disagree. He wanted to make money and so found alternative ways to do it instead of taking up all the cap space. His pay cuts are a big reason he has won 7 Super Bowls.

He got paid by the Pats outside the salary cap. The term for that is circumventing.

It should’ve been disallowed from the outset. It’s cheating, but that’s par for the course with him and the Pats, with Goodell’s blessing.

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, nycdan said:

BAL is going to have a tough decision to make.  It sounds like Lamar wants Watson money.  Word is he already turned down a Murray-level deal.  I have to think ARI will seriously wish they had a mulligan on that deal, if they don't already.  I don't see how BAL can give Lamar $45M/year+ at this point and expect to push themselves over the top.  

The only guy that got paid and still looks to be 100% worth it is Mahomes.  

It’s a true rock and a hard place.  

What if they move on and have a stretch of QBs like the Jets have had? 

A running QB is an extra layer of risk.  

Here are the 10 highest paid guys this year along with their records:

Aaron Rodgers (4-6)

Russell Wilson (3-6)

Kyler Murray (4-6)

Deshaun Watson (3-6 but he hasn't played) 

Patrick Mahomes (7-2)

Josh Allen (6-3)

Derek Carr (2-7)

Matt Stafford (3-6)

Dak Prescott (6-3)

Kirk Cousins (8-1) 

4 out of the 10 teams have winning records. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He got paid by the Pats outside the salary cap. The term for that is circumventing.

It should’ve been disallowed from the outset. It’s cheating, but that’s par for the course with him and the Pats, with Goodell’s blessing.

Thanks Sperm. I knew I spelled it wrong but I'm on my second bottle of red so don't  really care. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ah, I see. This makes more sense. Did the Bucs do this as well? Just curious.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Aaron Rodgers (4-6)

Russell Wilson (3-6)

Kyler Murray (4-6)

Patrick Mahomes (7-2)

Josh Allen (6-3)

Derek Carr (2-7)

Matt Stafford (3-6)

Dak Prescott (6-3)

Kirk Cousins (8-1) 

One of the winning QBs is actually 2-2 (Prescott) because Cooper Rush went 4-1 while he was hurt.

Kirk Cousins is having one of his worse years too. 

It's really only Mahomes and Allen who are worth their contract.

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

This is a tough one. Stay with Zack for a min...

When the time comes, we probably will not have 100% evidence that ZW is a guaranteed FQB. He'll still be getting better. So what does JD do? Draw a reasonable line in the sand? Refuse to go higher, even if it means ZW hits the open market? I can actually see Joe Douglas doing just that...he seems very disciplined in his contract negotiations.

But with the Browns offering rapist Watson a fully guaranteed Billion Dollar Contract there is always SOME dumbass GM who ruins it every time. If JD doesn't back up the Brinks Truck, some other GM will.

So at the end of the day, if you have a QB whom the fans like and is pretty decent, you really have zero choice but to pay up, and every new QB contract seems to out-do the previous one. If ZW become even close to what we all hope he becomes, he could be looking at $50+m/yr just like all the other QBs. Josh Allen, that runt QB from the Cardinals who doesn't like to study, and Lamar very soon. 

If ANY GM draws a line in the sand, some other GM will jump in and snatch your guy up.

if we dont know about Zach by the end of next year he is gone. i might even get rid of him for next year if he doesnt show us something before the end of the year.

QBs are the best known star position players in any team sport so you assume considering the money being taken in by the NFL they are going to be paid a lot of money. Salaries have gone way up with the additional revenue the league is making. So when guys like Rodgers Brady etc make 40 to 50 mil a season it sounds high and is but they are the star commodity in a super rich league. The NFL needs star power big attractions and QBs are their biggest. Even lower tier starters are going to be in the 20s. So if you can find one you have to pay them. Or you can go the route of having a competent game manager vs paying a franchise Qb. I’d pay extra for a star Qb. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

QBs are the best known star position players in any team sport so you assume considering the money being taken in by the NFL they are going to be paid a lot of money. Salaries have gone way up with the additional revenue the league is making. So when guys like Rodgers Brady etc make 40 to 50 mil a season it sounds high and is but they are the star commodity in a super rich league. The NFL needs star power big attractions and QBs are their biggest. Even lower tier starters are going to be in the 20s. So if you can find one you have to pay them. Or you can go the route of having a competent game manager vs paying a franchise Qb. I’d pay extra for a star Qb. 

The problem is this, your lower tier to mid tier QBs do not want to be paid lower tier they want to be paid top dollars top tier.

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Aaron Rodgers (4-6)

Russell Wilson (3-6)

Kyler Murray (4-6)

Patrick Mahomes (7-2)

Josh Allen (6-3)

Derek Carr (2-7)

Matt Stafford (3-6)

Dak Prescott (6-3)

Kirk Cousins (8-1) 

Does that trend translate to other seasons?

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

Aaron Rodgers (4-6)

Russell Wilson (3-6)

Kyler Murray (4-6)

Patrick Mahomes (7-2)

Josh Allen (6-3)

Derek Carr (2-7)

Matt Stafford (3-6)

Dak Prescott (6-3)

Kirk Cousins (8-1) 

It's a little to vacuumed of a view to make any thing of this, IMO as 3 of the 6 w/ losing records, also have a Super Bowl under their belts, and I dont think any of these teams are super upset with what they're paying their QB's.  Maybe Arizona and Vegas has some buyers remorse because neither QB has proven they can win (maybe Minn to an extent) down the stretch but the rest?  I think those teams arent too upset.  I know everyone is thrashing Rodgers, myself included but dude is on the heels of his 2 best seasons, back to back MVP's, do you really think in 1 season he's just pure trash?  I think GB has failed him but I guess you could argue the contract had a factor. 

Ultimately, my take is, you have to pay to play in this league and if you look at the Super Bowl's, you've had Burrow, Goff, Mahomes and the Wilson years, on rookie contracts, the rest were highly paid QB's; Brady,, Jimmy G., Manning, Stafford, Cam, Ryan, Mahomes post contract.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Before I could reply, I'd need to know the following two data sets:

1. Of say, the last 25 Super Bowls, what was the ranking of pay of the winning and losing QB's?

2. How many Super Bowls have been won by bottom 5 or bottom 10 paid Quarterbacks?

I can do winners the last 20 or so. The starter was on a rookie deal and/or their last name was Brady, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger, or Stafford (plus Foles started the game with a team built with Wentz on his rookie deal).

12 hours ago, Hex said:

Like the Packers have? I would argue that in giving Rodgers that contract they screwed themselves over. Rodgers is a 1st ballot HOFer but he looks washed at this point and his contract forced the Pack to rid their team of Adams.

They screwed themselves over by not drafting any offensive weapons. When was the last time they spend a first rounder on a WR?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I believe the imbalance of pay structure throughout NFL rosters will continue to lead to sporadic team success and 1 and done championships, the Rams being the most recent/prominent example. The football era of dynasties will continue to fade, imo.

Excellent. I wish other sports could adopt this pay structure. Well, Hockey did, maybe even more so. 

Been thinking about this a lot. I say the answer is absolutely not. I think you groom a young QB ... hope he develops into a stud.   But you draft another stud to keep in the stable, and keep a rotation rolling that you can trade for draft capital or keep for insurance in case of douchey agent contract demands. Deshaun Watson's contract will be an albatross. Cleveland might have felt their window was closing already and panicked.

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think there should be a financial cap on every position. In other words no RB in the league should be able to make more than 10 million a year. He can sign for less but he can't make more. In my opinion it's getting ridiculous.

I think they should get rid of the cap completely.  

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

Watch the giants do the stupid thing and give Barkley a $100 million contract and let Jones walk

The Giants have one of the best GM's and head coaches in the NFL.  They aren't doing stupid anymore.   This is one of the few times both NY teams seem to be at the very top of the league in terms of football management.  

How many QBs that are not on that list have won the super bowl?  Now do it with guys not named Brady.  After Mahomes, you have to go back to Flacco.  I guess unless you count Foles.  I think that everybody else is retired - Peyton, Eli, Ben, Brees.  I am not a proponent of huge contracts to mid-tier guys, but I understand the reasoning.

9 hours ago, Hex said:

One of the winning QBs is actually 2-2 (Prescott) because Cooper Rush went 4-1 while he was hurt.

Kirk Cousins is having one of his worse years too. 

It's really only Mahomes and Allen who are worth their contract.

Maybe, I was just posting facts and allowing people to form their own conclusions. 

• Upvote 1