Playoffs Start Today ...

KRL

Shockingly, everything is in front of the Jets as they reassemble after the bye:
- The #1 seed in the AFC
- The #1 spot in the AFC East
They need to raise their sights and not settle for sneaking into a wildcard spot.
Let's see how mature/serious the roster and staff are as they prep for the final
eight games.  One good sign is we heard absolutely nothing in terms of players 
getting into "off the field shenanigans" during their off week.  The offensive
side of the roster should be stronger with the return of Davis, Fant and Mitchell.
The big questions are can Wilson take a step and be more consistent in taking what
the defense gives him in terms of checkdowns.  And can he show better awareness on
when to leave the pocket and pickup 5+ yards on scrambles.  As far as the defense
is concerned I'm hoping to see Ulbrich add a few blitz wrinkles to ensure we aren't
predictable.  I'd also like to see more reps for our young edges (Huff & Johnson)       
Can we get an update on the injury report ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

My 3 keys to the second half:

1. Can the OL keep it up. The offense can be effective if the running game is working and the OL has been miraculously holding it together despite the injuries. Will the OL play even better when Fant & Mitchell come back?

2. Will the secondary keep up its elite play? This has allowed the Jets to keep low scoring games that allows the offense to run the ball and not have to throw more than necessary. 

The CS is also going to be tested in the 2nd half of the season.  The games are higher stakes.  Road games in New England, Miami and Buffalo amongst others.  

Can the CS get the team to win the games they're supposed to as well as pull off some upsets?

Can they coach ZW up (as he clearly needs to take a big step if this team has any real aspirations)?

• Upvote 3

Keys:

1) No more serious injuries.  We have payed the full toll this season.  No more please.

2) No losing streaks.  We bounced back beautifully from the NE loss.  In fact, haven't lost two in a row at all this season.  Just keep that up and we finish with 10 wins minimum.

3) Win 2 of 3 against AFCE teams.  4-2 in the division at this point almost locks in a wildcard at least.  Tall order but it start with NE next week.  I like our chances of taking 1 of 2 between MIA and BUF.  This is especially critical for tie-breakers because we unfortunately have lost to both CIN and BAL, one of whom will be in the wildcard hunt.  So we need the clear tie-breakers over at least one of the AFCE teams.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Shockingly, everything is in front of the Jets as they reassemble after the bye:

- The #1 seed in the AFC
- The #1 spot in the AFC East

They need to raise their sights and not settle for sneaking into a wildcard spot.
Let's see how mature/serious the roster and staff are as they prep for the final
eight games.  One good sign is we heard absolutely nothing in terms of players 
getting into "off the field shenanigans" during their off week.  The offensive
side of the roster should be stronger with the return of Davis, Fant and Mitchell.
The big questions are can Wilson take a step and be more consistent in taking what
the defense gives him in terms of checkdowns.  And can he show better awareness on
when to leave the pocket and pickup 5+ yards on scrambles.  As far as the defense
is concerned I'm hoping to see Ulbrich add a few blitz wrinkles to ensure we aren't
predictable.  I'd also like to see more reps for our young edges (Huff & Johnson)       

As always this can change week to week as evidenced by our mood after the Pats loss when firing everyone and benching Zach was freely discussed.  After beating Buffalo the next week there was a thread about going to the Super Bowl.  That being said, Cincinnati last year was a good example of  not settling for just making the playoffs.  We should be competitive in all remaining games and the road hasn't been a problem so if we can get in we should be a tough out for any team.  Beating the Pats this week is key for a good start to the second half and remaining in control of the division.  We looked like the better team until that disallowed pick six the last time so hopefully we can bring that same energy the whole game this time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Jets control their own destiny in AFC East at this point. On the remaining 8 they have some tough ones (Vikings, Bills, Fins again) but also some real struggling ones (Lions, Bears, Jags) and some toss ups (Pats, Seahawks) No reason this team can't finish strong. 

HOWEVER, I think its time for Zach to step up. This team cant take that next step till he does. Effective game manager can win us some games and even take us to the playoffs but eventually, to beat teams like KC etc we are gona need Zach to be the QB drafted at 2 overall. I would like nothing more then to see this Pats game his break out game. 

Regardless, the Jets are 6-3, fresh off the bye. No excuses, end this playoff draught now.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, docdhc said:

As always this can change week to week as evidenced by our mood after the Pats loss when firing everyone and benching Zach was freely discussed.  After beating Buffalo the next week there was a thread about going to the Super Bowl.  That being said, Cincinnati last year was a good example of  not settling for just making the playoffs.  We should be competitive in all remaining games and the road hasn't been a problem so if we can get in we should be a tough out for any team.  Beating the Pats this week is key for a good start to the second half and remaining in control of the division.  We looked like the better team until that disallowed pick six the last time so hopefully we can bring that same energy the whole game this time.

It's good timing to talk about CIN last year.  That was little more than a pipe dream for us this season at the start.  "Why not us" felt like a jinx to even whisper.  Well now that whisper has become a roar.  We're doing it a very different way than CIN did, but looking around the league, there's no reason not to think we can reach at least the AFCCG this year.  And unlike last year, when KC and BUF almost seemed inevitable, this year feels more open.  Every team is flawed and can be beat.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They control their own destiny w/ what IMO, is the easier part of the schedule on the horizon.  Which is wild but if you ask me, the most important game left is this upcoming game vs. New England.  They have to get this monkey off their back.  I think losing this game could have some negative impacts.  I hope not because this seems like a tough, resilient team but you cant help to think it would be a very deflating loss to start the second half of the year and what should a very legitimate playoff/division championship run.

It was really encouraging to see them come back and beat Buffalo after the terrible loss to NE the week before, but yeah, better not to have to do that again. It's also a big game in that we need 4 wins in the second half to make sure we're in the playoffs, and wouldn't you know it, we're going to be favored in 4 games, including this one. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To make the playoffs, I believe the Jets will need to win 5 more games.  That would put them at 11-6. 

10 wins may not make it this year, and 9 will absolutely not.

We have remaining:

at New England Patriots
Chicago Bears
at Minnesota Vikings
at Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
 Jacksonville Jaguars
at Seattle Seahawks
at Miami Dolphins

It's very hard to see five wins here. 

1. New England dominates us, and Zach specifically.
  2. Bears are winnable, if Fields doesn't rush for 200 yards (a real possibility, as good as our D is, running QB's still are an issue).
  3. False bravado and Cousins dislike aside, the Vikings are 8-1 for a reason.  And we're in their house.
  4. @ Buffalo?  If Allen is out, maybe.  If not, hard to see us sweeping the supposed best team in the AFC, sorry.
  5. Lions are beatable, even if they're on an upswing of late.  Just be harder than we hoped.
  6. Jags are winnable, but any given Sunday etc.
  7. Seattle, on the west coast?  50/50 at best.
  8. Miami in Miami is going to be tough.  We squeaked past them with their #3 QB.  Not their #1 QB and the best QB in the NFL (give or take) so far this year.

Without a few miracles, I see three wins here.  Bears, Lions, Jags.  We'll have steal a couple (like we did vs. Buffalo at home) to have a shot at the postseason.  Vikings, maybe?  Seattle, maybe?  Just not seeing where else is a real possibility, I honestly think we get swept the rest of our way in the AFC East.  

All comes down to this next game.  If we beat New England, in New England, who knows.  But this is the one winnable game of the remaining divisional games, and is likely a must-win for entry to the postseason, honestly.

Ooof this is a terrible take.

1)NE is going to dominate us next week? Based off what? Their commanding 5 point win when Zach threw 3 terrible interceptions? Dont understand your confidence on that

2) The Bears are not good. They traded away their 2 best defensive players and are 3-7 for a reason. Yes Fields has been running all over. We shut down Allen running, why cant we handle Field again? If Fields actually has to throw the ball we my break an INT record. 

3) Vikings in MN absolutely a tough game. Cant argue. 

4) Bills in Buffalo? Few weeks ago I say its no shot but the team may be headed for one of those 2nd half implosions. The team looks shaken to the core and you cant tell me Allen is 100 percent. 

5) The Lions can and should be beat at Home. Every game is every given Sunday but the Jets are leaps and bounds the better football team. 

6) See above comment for Lions game

7) Seahawks are headed back down to earth as evidence by their loss to an overrated TB team. Travel is tough, but I also heard that about going out to Denver.

8. Games in Miami are like Jet home games. 50% Jet fans. We man handled them 40-18 last time. Sure they are good, but we proved we can light their defense up. 

We are winning more then 3 games....

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Haven’t you heard? Absolutely no substitutions for the offensive line! Duane Brown has to play 100% of the snaps for the remaining eight games and into the playoffs.

@More Cowbell just having a little fun with you. ?

Yeah,  but what you said is correct. You don't  substitute  on the OL unless there is a injury. If someone on our OL was playing like crap, Yeah, get him out of there bit that isn't  the case. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To make the playoffs, I believe the Jets will need to win 5 more games.  That would put them at 11-6. 

10 wins may not make it this year, and 9 will absolutely not.

We have remaining:

at New England Patriots
Chicago Bears
at Minnesota Vikings
at Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
 Jacksonville Jaguars
at Seattle Seahawks
at Miami Dolphins

It's very hard to see five wins here. 

1. New England dominates us, and Zach specifically.
  2. Bears are winnable, if Fields doesn't rush for 200 yards (a real possibility, as good as our D is, running QB's still are an issue).
  3. False bravado and Cousins dislike aside, the Vikings are 8-1 for a reason.  And we're in their house.
  4. @ Buffalo?  If Allen is out, maybe.  If not, hard to see us sweeping the supposed best team in the AFC, sorry.
  5. Lions are beatable, even if they're on an upswing of late.  Just be harder than we hoped.
  6. Jags are winnable, but any given Sunday etc.
  7. Seattle, on the west coast?  50/50 at best.
  8. Miami in Miami is going to be tough.  We squeaked past them with their #3 QB.  Not their #1 QB and the best QB in the NFL (give or take) so far this year.

Without a few miracles, I see three wins here.  Bears, Lions, Jags.  We'll have steal a couple (like we did vs. Buffalo at home) to have a shot at the postseason.  Vikings, maybe?  Seattle, maybe?  Just not seeing where else is a real possibility, I honestly think we get swept the rest of our way in the AFC East.  

All comes down to this next game.  If we beat New England, in New England, who knows.  But this is the one winnable game of the remaining divisional games, and is likely a must-win for entry to the postseason, honestly.

My gosh you have become so negative. Also I am not so sure about the number of wins needed to make the playoffs.  A lot of the teams we are competing with play each other quite a bit. Outside of our 3, there are 5 games between Buff NE and Miami so that group will get 5 wins but also 5 losses spread out amongst them. In the end I think the final wildcard is 9 games.

I think if you do not see wins, you are just still thinking in SOJ terms. The Jets won in Pitt, GB, Denver on the road. Our talent level is pretty much equal with the other teams in our division and we have shown the ability to close out games consistently as we are the best team in the NFL in the 4th quarter.

EVERY game we have left is MORE than winnable. Will we wind all of them? No. Should we win at least 5? Definitely.

Seems so many people here just expecting us to implode.

• Upvote 4

I'm curbing any playoff optimism until after this game. It's huge and it feels like there's a mental block when it comes to New England, especially for whoever's at QB. Belichick just knows how to put the ball in their hands and feast. 

It's a bad matchup. Buffalo played into our hands by going for our secondary which is probably the best unit in the league - The Pats will not do that. If Zach can cut the mistakes it will be a close game - That loss at home still hurts. 

Whatever happens the rest of the way this team has shown more than it has any right do. In an ideal world Zach Wilson would step up and turn us into a legit contender - More likely he treads around the same level and we either scrape or come close to a playoff berth. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ooof this is a terrible take.

1)NE is going to dominate us next week? Based off what? Their commanding 5 point win when Zach threw 3 terrible interceptions? Dont understand your confidence on that

No, New England has (historically/recently) dominated us (what is it, 0-12 or 0-13 the last several years), including their dismantling of Zach just a few weeks ago.

2) The Bears are not good. They traded away their 2 best defensive players and are 3-7 for a reason. Yes Fields has been running all over. We shut down Allen running, why cant we handle Field again? If Fields actually has to throw the ball we my break an INT record.

As I said, it's winnable.  But if Fields runs for a ton, or plays like he did vs. Miami, it's no cakewalk.  

3) Vikings in MN absolutely a tough game. Cant argue. 

Fair enough.

4) Bills in Buffalo? Few weeks ago I say its no shot but the team may be headed for one of those 2nd half implosions. The team looks shaken to the core and you cant tell me Allen is 100 percent.

Agree to disagree. 

I hope you're right, but the last two weeks were a miracle in by the Jets and a very close defeat in a gme they were up quite a bit vs. an 8-1 team.  

5) The Lions can and should be beat at Home. Every game is every given Sunday but the Jets are leaps and bounds the better football team.

Yes, this is likely the easiest game on the schedule left.  

6) See above comment for Lions game (Jags)

If the Jets win all the games they should win, yes, I agree.

7) Seahawks are headed back down to earth as evidence by their loss to an overrated TB team. Travel is tough, but I also heard that about going out to Denver.

Denver sucks.  Seattle, so far, doesn't.

It's not impossible, but the travel and a good team will have the odds in Seattle's favor.  

8. Games in Miami are like Jet home games. 50% Jet fans. We man handled them 40-18 last time. Sure they are good, but we proved we can light their defense up.

The first game is irrelevant to this game.  Night and day, their #3 vs. Tua.  

We are winning more then 3 games....

I hope so.

Like I said, lets see if we beat New England.  

• Upvote 1