Playoffs Start Today ...

KRL

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My gosh you have become so negative.

I don't see it as negative, I see it as realistic/pragmatic.  Also, I've always been seen as negative, so this isn't really new, there is no becoming here.

In no way am I saying it's impossible we win some of the games I think we likely lose.  They're just unlikely (as I see it).

Also I am not so sure about the number of wins needed to make the playoffs.  A lot of the teams we are competing with play each other quite a bit. Outside of our 3, there are 5 games between Buff NE and Miami so that group will get 5 wins but also 5 losses spread out amongst them. In the end I think the final wildcard is 9 games.

That's possible.  

I think if you do not see wins, you are just still thinking in SOJ terms. The Jets won in Pitt, GB, Denver on the road. Our talent level is pretty much equal with the other teams in our division and we have shown the ability to close out games consistently as we are the best team in the NFL in the 4th quarter.

Pitt is quite down, worse than almost anyone left on the schedule other than the Jags/Lions.  And they played a backup QB in his first game.

Green Bay is a disaster.  Winning in Lambau was nice tho, but this isn't a few years ago's Green Bay team.  Which is why they're 4-6 and falling.

Denver sucks.  Good D, pathetic O.  And another backup QB game, of which we have several helping our win total this year.

I'll repeat, I hope the hype is real, and we cruise to the postseason.  I think some of you are in for a rude awakening, but that's JMO.

EVERY game we have left is MORE than winnable. Will we wind all of them? No. Should we win at least 5? Definitely.

Seems so many people here just expecting us to implode.

Not implode, no.  

As I keep saying, if you're right, we cruise to a win in New England this week.  

We'll see.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ooof this is a terrible take.

1)NE is going to dominate us next week? Based off what? Their commanding 5 point win when Zach threw 3 terrible interceptions? Dont understand your confidence on that

2) The Bears are not good. They traded away their 2 best defensive players and are 3-7 for a reason. Yes Fields has been running all over. We shut down Allen running, why cant we handle Field again? If Fields actually has to throw the ball we my break an INT record. 

3) Vikings in MN absolutely a tough game. Cant argue. 

4) Bills in Buffalo? Few weeks ago I say its no shot but the team may be headed for one of those 2nd half implosions. The team looks shaken to the core and you cant tell me Allen is 100 percent. 

5) The Lions can and should be beat at Home. Every game is every given Sunday but the Jets are leaps and bounds the better football team. 

6) See above comment for Lions game

7) Seahawks are headed back down to earth as evidence by their loss to an overrated TB team. Travel is tough, but I also heard that about going out to Denver.

8. Games in Miami are like Jet home games. 50% Jet fans. We man handled them 40-18 last time. Sure they are good, but we proved we can light their defense up. 

We are winning more then 3 games....

IMO the Miami game is absolutely unguessable right now. Depending the landscape of AFCE in week 18. 1 or both teams may be resting starters or conversely maybe they are duking it out for playoff position. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To make the playoffs, I believe the Jets will need to win 5 more games.  That would put them at 11-6. 

10 wins may not make it this year, and 9 will absolutely not.

We have remaining:

at New England Patriots
Chicago Bears
at Minnesota Vikings
at Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
 Jacksonville Jaguars
at Seattle Seahawks
at Miami Dolphins

It's very hard to see five wins here. 

1. New England dominates us, and Zach specifically.
  2. Bears are winnable, if Fields doesn't rush for 200 yards (a real possibility, as good as our D is, running QB's still are an issue).
  3. False bravado and Cousins dislike aside, the Vikings are 8-1 for a reason.  And we're in their house.
  4. @ Buffalo?  If Allen is out, maybe.  If not, hard to see us sweeping the supposed best team in the AFC, sorry.
  5. Lions are beatable, even if they're on an upswing of late.  Just be harder than we hoped.
  6. Jags are winnable, but any given Sunday etc.
  7. Seattle, on the west coast?  50/50 at best.
  8. Miami in Miami is going to be tough.  We squeaked past them with their #3 QB.  Not their #1 QB and the best QB in the NFL (give or take) so far this year.

Without a few miracles, I see three wins here.  Bears, Lions, Jags.  We'll have steal a couple (like we did vs. Buffalo at home) to have a shot at the postseason.  Vikings, maybe?  Seattle, maybe?  Just not seeing where else is a real possibility, I honestly think we get swept the rest of our way in the AFC East.  

All comes down to this next game.  If we beat New England, in New England, who knows.  But this is the one winnable game of the remaining divisional games, and is likely a must-win for entry to the postseason, honestly.

How many wins did you see at the bye before the season started?

• Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

We have the longest playoff drought in sports and play in the toughest division in football. Grabbing a wildcard would be a monumental achievement. We were 8-3 in 2008 and missed the playoffs, nothing is guaranteed. 

Nonsense.  Assuming ZW is a legit QB, this team is good enough to win this division.  That's where their expectations should be.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, docdhc said:

How many wins did you see at the bye before the season started?

In July, right before the Preseason started, I saw ~4 wins by the Bye, and a 9-8 final record.  Link below.

Later, in August, post-Zach injury, I was much less optimistic than this, and was thinking 1-8 at the bye was possible, with several games being tossup win/losses, for a possible 3-4 win number.

Unquestionably, the team as a whole, especially the Defense, has been better than I could have hoped.  Nor did I see us playing (and winning) so many games against 2nd and 3rd string QB's early on.

But alot has changed for everyone since July/August, not just for us.

didn't the doltfins win?  if so the jets are in second place.  the patsie game is going to be huge.  they win that there's no reason to think they won't win the division.  the bellichicken will have them ready to play.  the jets need to play smart, no turnovers and keep the patsies on a long field.

• Upvote 2

I see some people looking at the upcoming schedule and thinking how hard it will be to beat those teams.

What you are missing (like completely) is that most of those teams are looking at the Jets the exact same way.  Nobody is looking at the Jets as an easy W this year.  Jet fans (some at least) are the last remaining people who still see this team like last year's version.

There is no team in the league we should expect to lose to.  Sure, MIN will be a tough out, but they needed a miracle to beat BUF yesterday.  We may be underdogs against most of the rest, but that hasn't been an issue so far.  

It's time to wake up to the fact that this team is good, flaws and all, and can beat anyone on their good days.

• Upvote 3

The good thing is the team has few serious contenders in the remaining schedule. The bad news is the Jets still have a game against each division rival and those games will decide a lot about who is in and who is out. 

IMO the NE game is virtually a must win. Although the Jets could still secure a playoff spot with a loss it's going to be tough to think of this as a playoff competitive team that can't beat another team with a middling QB and a DC running the offense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The good thing is the team has few serious contenders in the remaining schedule. The bad news is the Jets still have a game against each division rival and those games will decide a lot about who is in and who is out. 

IMO the NE game is virtually a must win. Although the Jets could still secure a playoff spot with a loss it's going to be tough to think of this as a playoff competitive team that can't beat another team with a middling QB and a DC running the offense.

if we don't beat the Pats we ain't shit! Simple as that Rex!

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts:

1. It's already been said, but it is all about the game verse NE. That team is hanging over our heads. Zach's interceptions basically doomed us last game. It's always something with Bill and NE. Let's just beat them and move on. Win, we're 7-3 with confidence and a path to the playoffs. Lose, and we aint feeling too good, and if we lose everyone will over-react and meltdown. Back-to-back wins over Buffalo and NE are just what this team needs. 

So, I'm going to assume a W verse NE. But if we lose, we do not belong in the playoffs this year.

2. Until now, I would have never thought we had no chance of a win at Buffalo, but after the last two weeks . . . who knows . . . I'm assuming a loss, but something is up with that team.

3. That final game in Miami, if playoffs are on the line, will be anyone's bet. 

4. Of the Bears, Lions, Jags, Vikings, and Seahawks; I think it's reasonable to say 3 wins. So, 3 wins there, plus the win v. NE, and we will win v. NE (que the "and you will make your free throws" line from Hoosiers), we're going into Miami Sunday Night on Jan 8 at 10-6, and who know what will happen. 

The Jets need to think about one thing and one thing only. Annihilating and embarrassing this Pats team.

Particularly the defense. They should be angry after letting the Pats off the hook two weeks ago. 

Our pass rushers should be frothing at the mouth at the thought of tearing Mac Jones' head off.

Our secondary should expect perfection. Zero pass TDs allowed at minimum. Complete shutdown of the Patriot receivers. Sauce and Reed should walk into Foxborough with swagger and the expectation that the top Pats receivers will get completely shut down to the point where they will start to get frustrated and commit stupid personal foul or offensive penalties.   

Guys like Clemons, Kwon Alexander, Whitehead, and Quincy Williams (amongst others) should be looking forward to knocking Stevenson into next week.  

The Jets ARE the better team. And now that they beat the Bills, the Jets know this more than anyone.

Losing this game will be a MASSIVE let down to them, IMO. This is not a trap game, this is a redemption game. Zach knows this, the defense knows this. I think this team will show up confident, prepared, and angry. And despite the record of losing to the Pats and despite this being in Foxborough, I think they will have the edge going into this game. The Pats will need to weather the early storm to have a shot at winning, IMO. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets control their own destiny in AFC East at this point. On the remaining 8 they have some tough ones (Vikings, Bills, Fins again) but also some real struggling ones (Lions, Bears, Jags) and some toss ups (Pats, Seahawks) No reason this team can't finish strong. 

HOWEVER, I think its time for Zach to step up. This team cant take that next step till he does. Effective game manager can win us some games and even take us to the playoffs but eventually, to beat teams like KC etc we are gona need Zach to be the QB drafted at 2 overall. I would like nothing more then to see this Pats game his break out game. 

Regardless, the Jets are 6-3, fresh off the bye. No excuses, end this playoff draught now.

dont underestimate the Bears. last 4 games they avg 30 pts and Fields is running like crazy. that game makes me nervous.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Fields can run but can’t throw and their defense is complete trash. 

But no game in the nfl is a given. Not one 

Fields' passing is improving the last 3 weeks.  Not much volume, but more TDs and better completion %.

However....

He gets sacked SO much.  Sacked 36 times already in 10 games - on pace for 61.  And that hasn't really improved much.  It will be an interesting game to be sure.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It was really encouraging to see them come back and beat Buffalo after the terrible loss to NE the week before, but yeah, better not to have to do that again. It's also a big game in that we need 4 wins in the second half to make sure we're in the playoffs, and wouldn't you know it, we're going to be favored in 4 games, including this one. 

For sure, that was huge.  The good news is, they're a better team than NE.  They should win and I expect them too honestly.  It will be big for many reasons and huge if it comes down to some division tie breaker thingy with someone.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fields' passing is improving the last 3 weeks.  Not much volume, but more TDs and better completion %.

However....

He gets sacked SO much.  Sacked 36 times already in 10 games - on pace for 61.  And that hasn't really improved much.  It will be an interesting game to be sure.

I think the rushing for 300 yards per game kind of offsets the sacks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

To make the playoffs, I believe the Jets will need to win 5 more games.  That would put them at 11-6. 

10 wins may not make it this year, and 9 will absolutely not.

We have remaining:

at New England Patriots
Chicago Bears
at Minnesota Vikings
at Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
 Jacksonville Jaguars
at Seattle Seahawks
at Miami Dolphins

It's very hard to see five wins here. 

1. New England dominates us, and Zach specifically.
  2. Bears are winnable, if Fields doesn't rush for 200 yards (a real possibility, as good as our D is, running QB's still are an issue).
  3. False bravado and Cousins dislike aside, the Vikings are 8-1 for a reason.  And we're in their house.
  4. @ Buffalo?  If Allen is out, maybe.  If not, hard to see us sweeping the supposed best team in the AFC, sorry.
  5. Lions are beatable, even if they're on an upswing of late.  Just be harder than we hoped.
  6. Jags are winnable, but any given Sunday etc.
  7. Seattle, on the west coast?  50/50 at best.
  8. Miami in Miami is going to be tough.  We squeaked past them with their #3 QB.  Not their #1 QB and the best QB in the NFL (give or take) so far this year.

Without a few miracles, I see three wins here.  Bears, Lions, Jags.  We'll have steal a couple (like we did vs. Buffalo at home) to have a shot at the postseason.  Vikings, maybe?  Seattle, maybe?  Just not seeing where else is a real possibility, I honestly think we get swept the rest of our way in the AFC East.  

All comes down to this next game.  If we beat New England, in New England, who knows.  But this is the one winnable game of the remaining divisional games, and is likely a must-win for entry to the postseason, honestly.

lmfao  this was a funny read.  They're 6-3 (5-1 w/ Zach) but they will need "miracles" to win more than 3 games?  I'm curious what you had their record at this point preseason?  lol 

• Post of the Week 1