Jamien Sherwood...

Steveg

6 minutes ago, Steveg said:

Did anyone else notice how well Sherwood filled in for Mosely?  He was only in for a few series but had 3 solo's, 1 assist, and .5 sack.

Mosley renegotiated contract leverage. 
I would try and get Sherwood some additional snaps in certain situations.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, he looked good

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

As a rookie he was the greenest, most out of place player I think I’ve seen in 25 years. Didn’t belong on an NFL field. Yes, he was making a position change, but he was so bad you might have thought he was changing from shortstop to linebacker. 

what an improvement. Score 1 for Saleh and JD. The investment year paid off. 

he still struggles to get off of blocks but he reads the play so much faster his athletic abilities are coming through 

He was a player that really jumped out at me during the preseason when he had a lot of playing time. He was making plays sideline to sideline and no longer seemed "undersized" for the position.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Preparing Sherwood to be the starter for 2024 would be very wise, as would drafting a LB on Day 2 this year IMO.

There was a detailed breakdown on Jet X Factor a few months ago that suggested JD restructured Mosley's contract to make it easier to cut him post June 1 NEXT YEAR.  If Sherwood continues to develop, the odds of him being a 2023 starter go up. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

There was a detailed breakdown on Jet X Factor a few months ago that suggested JD restructured Mosley's contract to make it easier to cut him post June 1 NEXT YEAR.  If Sherwood continues to develop, the odds of him being a 2023 starter go up. 

I didn't see the breakdown but that doesn't make much sense.

He's just as easy to cut next year; it's just not as clean on paper for those who see each year's salary cap as a single bucket rather than a bucket within a bigger bucket.

Further, it's nonsensical that the purported on-paper messiness (of having his cap charge hit the future rather than the present) is any justification for paying him another $17MM in new money in 2023. 

Looked at rationally, it made no difference whether they'd moved $12MM his 2022 hit to the future or anyone else's. Dollars are dollars.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't see the breakdown but that doesn't make much sense.

He's just as easy to cut next year; it's just not as clean on paper for those who see each year's salary cap as a single bucket rather than a bucket within a bigger bucket.

Further, it's nonsensical that the purported on-paper messiness (of having his cap charge hit the future rather than the present) is any justification for paying him another $17MM in new money in 2023. 

Looked at rationally, it made no difference whether they'd moved $12MM his 2022 hit to the future or anyone else's. Dollars are dollars.

By converting his base to signing bonus, if he is cut post June 1, 2023 below is what happens according to the article.  JD gets significant cap relief in 2023 but then must eat the balance of the converted signing bonus in 2024.  I guess, based on leadership/level of play/etc., JD will need to decide if Mosley is worth carrying on the 2023 roster vs. a $4.8 mil cap hit in 2023 followed by $10.4 mil hit in 2024.

mosley.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

By converting his base to signing bonus, if he is cut post June 1, 2023 below is what happens according to the article.  JD gets significant cap relief in 2023 but then must eat the balance of the converted signing bonus in 2024.  I guess, based on leadership/level of play/etc., JD will need to decide if Mosley is worth carrying on the 2023 roster vs. a $4.8 mil cap hit in 2023 followed by $10.4 mil hit in 2024.

mosley.jpg

It’s still adding $17MM more to the cap by keeping him. 

Again, it’s looking at it in the wrong way. All they did was move this year’s hit to the future. It didn’t involve counting off this year’s cap AND even more in the future. They did the exact same thing with Brown (just for a lower amount).

100% of the dead cap was money already paid to him. It matters not if it was this year, next year, or 2024. They needed relief more in 2022 so they moved his hit to later, but it makes no accounting difference if it was Mosley whose $ was moved or someone else.

All that accelerated future cap hit is going to hit whether they keep him or not. It’s not new money. The only thing in question are (most importantly) whether they decide to incur an additional $17MM on top of that, and (of lesser importance) whether that $12MM that was moved will all hit in ‘23 or spread between ‘23 and ‘24. The rest of the $ was from his original SB that (if cut in before ‘23) would’ve accelerated in similar fashion with or without this year’s restructure.

Whether it was Mosley or someone else restructured is irrelevant. Just like if they choose to have all of it hit in ‘23 instead of spread from ‘23 to ‘24 they can lessen that by similarly backloading any new contracts from others. In the end the piper has to be paid, but they’re not stuck no matter how they handle his future cap hits (in the event he’s let go).

Mind you, I don’t think they will cut him, though I strongly think they should. He’s not worth anywhere near his salary, and next year that disparity between compensation and performance will be even more stark. They do not need him. 

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s still adding $17MM more to the cap by keeping him. 

Again, it’s looking at it in the wrong way. All they did was move this year’s hit to the future. It didn’t involve counting off this year’s cap AND even more in the future. They did the exact same thing with Brown (just for a lower amount).

100% of the dead cap was money already paid to him. It matters not if it was this year, next year, or 2024. They needed relief more in 2022 so they moved his hit to later, but it makes no accounting difference if it was Mosley whose $ was moved or someone else.

All that accelerated future cap hit is going to hit whether they keep him or not. It’s not new money. The only thing in question are (most importantly) whether they decide to incur an additional $17MM on top of that, and (of lesser importance) whether that $12MM that was moved will all hit in ‘23 or spread between ‘23 and ‘24. The rest of the $ was from his original SB that (if cut in before ‘23) would’ve accelerated in similar fashion with or without this year’s restructure.

Whether it was Mosley or someone else restructured is irrelevant. Just like if they choose to have all of it hit in ‘23 instead of spread from ‘23 to ‘24 they can lessen that by similarly backloading any new contracts from others. In the end the piper has to be paid, but they’re not stuck no matter how they handle his future cap hits (in the event he’s let go).

Mind you, I don’t think they will cut him, though I strongly think they should. He’s not worth anywhere near his salary, and next year that disparity between compensation and performance will be even more stark. They do not need him. 

Love the money break down, totally disagree with the football assessment. Nobody is worth that salary but they do need him. He is playing at a Pro Bowl level.  He is the piece that keeps this defense together. The way they are playing now, I wouldn't mess with that at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Love the money break down, totally disagree with the football assessment. Nobody is worth that salary but they do need him. He is playing at a Pro Bowl level.  He is the piece that keeps this defense together. The way they are playing now, I wouldn't mess with that at all.

We can agree to disagree there, then. They don’t need him, and to the extent they did this year (because the team is so young) they’ll need him that much less next year.

Putting aside what else he brings as a veteran on the sideline and in the huddle — on the field, I think he’s just ok (and while occasionally better than that, also often he’s not even). The Jets could do as better or upgrade for much, much less. 

OK that’s not what agree to disagree looks like. I yam what I yam. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yep. I think you just get him extended and on a better deal given this stage if his career. Move money around. They all do it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We can agree to disagree there, then. They don’t need him, and to the extent they did this year (because the team is so young) they’ll need him that much less next year.

Putting aside what else he brings as a veteran on the sideline and in the huddle — on the field, I think he’s just ok (and while occasionally better than that, also often he’s not even). The Jets could do as better or upgrade for much, much less. 

OK that’s not what agree to disagree looks like. I yam what I yam. 

Geez you are getting soft. We didn't even have one back and forth and you are already dropping the agree to disagree line.

Years ago we would have gone all night fighting over this.  :)

• Haha 1