Jets building for a 3 year run after this year.

Offense first..

QB is the big If but credit to Zach who showed major cajones for stepping up against the Bills when he could have easily wilted under all the pressure!  This gives me HOPE.  (3 more years on his contract  if he puts it all together)

OL

1. G AVT is our uber versatile All Pro (3 more years)

2. C/G Nasty Nate is our overachieving ‘mood setter’.  I expect JD to re-sign him for 3 years as our 2023 starting Center + immediate insurance if Tomlinson doesn’t regain his anchor (which often kills the pocket).  I also expect the 2023 Jets to draft a Center early, allowing them to move on from Tomlinson no later than 2024 and possibly earlier (shifting Herbig back to guard)

3. RT Max Mitchell.  I’d give him the first shot at RT when he is back & healthy.  Need to confirm he is the Guy, .. who will only get better with a year of S&C.  (3 more years)

4. LT Duane Brown.  He’s been a Godsend.  Happy we have for (1 more year).

5. LG Tomlinson.  Too expensive to cut outright but his starting role will not be a given if he continues to slip.  (1 more year on roster)

* 2023 Draft:  Select Center in round 2; OT depth & potential future starter in round 3.  

RB

1. Breece is our future All Pro.  (3 more years)

2. Carter is the change of pace.  (2 more years)

3. Robinson is the short yardage + most reliable pass protector.  (1 more year)

TE

1. Conklin is a guy who can catch 80 balls for 6 TDs.  (2 more years)

2. Uzomah is the most well rounded & probably the best blocker.

3. Ruckert & Yeboah will get their chances.

WR

1. Fingers crossed, Wilson is a true #1 outside receiver.  (4 more years)

2. Davis & Mims battle for #2.  (2 & 1 more year)

3. Moore & Berrios battle for the slot.  (2 & 1 more year)

* 2023 Draft Surprise?  Jets select WR in 1st round.  Could happen if they don’t want to rely on Davis staying healthy and don’t believe Mims is the answer.

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Offense first..

OL

2. C/G Nasty Nate is our overachieving ‘mood setter’.  I expect JD to re-sign him for 3 years as our 2023 starting Center + immediate insurance if Tomlinson doesn’t regain his anchor (which often kills the pocket).  I also expect the 2023 Jets to draft a Center early, allowing them to move on from Tomlinson no later than 2024 and possibly earlier (shifting Herbig back to guard)

3. RT Max Mitchell.  I’d give him the first shot at RT when he is back & healthy.  Need to confirm he is the Guy, .. who will only get better with a year of S&C.  (3 more years)

5. LG Tomlinson.  Too expensive to cut outright but his starting role will not be a given if he continues to slip.  (1 more year on roster)

* 2023 Draft:  Select Center in round 2; OT depth & potential future starter in round 3.  

Excuse me sir, but I believe you missed Mekhi Becton in your O line discussion. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Offense first..

QB is the big If but credit to Zach who showed major cajones for stepping up against the Bills when he could have easily wilted under all the pressure!  This gives me HOPE.  (3 more years on his contract  if he puts it all together)

OL

RB

TE

WR

* 2023 Draft Surprise?  Jets select WR in 1st round.  Could happen if they don’t want to rely on Davis staying healthy and don’t believe Mims is the answer.

Your thoughts?

Tomlinson has been playing better the last two games. 

19 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Offense first..

OL

RB

TE

WR

Your thoughts?

Need a second QB who can game manage in case Zach gets hurt or sucks.

AVT is going to be a big part of Jets chasing SBs the next few years.

I don't see Duane Brown playing next year. I see him getting shoulder surgery and moving forward with the next chapter of his life. Huge props to him for what he's done this year.

I'm disappointed to see Laken not performing where he has been. Hope he settles in. He can be good.

Let's get a Center in the draft.

TE room looks good. RB room is good (no doubt injuries will affect things though).

Going to need a stud big-bodied receiver at some point to go with GW17. Other guys can be support. I don't see Moore lasting long if he's a drama queen. Mims in a moot point, and I don't see CD getting a big new contract.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

They are not gearing for a  3 year "run". They are building a team that can compete for a SB on a perpetual basis. 

Correct. JD's philosophy of building through the draft keeps young new talent coming in, replacing aging talent. That's the way to stay relevant year after year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Sustainability and perennial contention.  It's what Douglas was shooting for here.  He delayed that with the whiffs he had in the 2020 class, but it was not denied.  

Now, the Jets are going to be a destination for free agents, and Douglas will have the cap flexibility to bring in just about anyone he needs to plug holes and perhaps a "big swing" type FA as well.

OR, since there aren't many holes in the roster, he can choose to start winning the comp pick battles instead.

11 minutes ago, viffer said:

Correct. JD's philosophy of building through the draft keeps young new talent coming in, replacing aging talent. That's the way to stay relevant year after year.

Yep.  The Ozzie Newsome philosophy.  Newsome rarely spent very much in free agency because he really didn't have to.  The pipeline of draft talent kept them relevant for over 2 decades.  And they still are.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

They are not gearing for a  3 year "run". They are building a team that can compete for a SB on a perpetual basis. 

Yup. If Douglass does this right he will have replacements already drafted and with a year or two experience and ready to step in when some guys are ready for FA.

I don't know what a guy like DJ Reed contract is but if the Jets are smart they should be starting to groom his replacement whether it is in the 2023 or 2024 draft. Give the kid a year or two on special teams and when Reed's contract is up that kid is ready to step in.

BTW I am just using Reed as an example. You could do the same thing with Mosely, Alexander, Davis, etc.

• Upvote 1

I watched SF last night and that Shanahan system.  Credit the Chargers for holding SF mostly in check, but how about the talent on that SF team.  Talk about a set of triplets - Deebo, McCaffrey, Kittle.  And, they have a QB who (arguably) could be considered a rough approximation of what Zach is trending towards, a "good enough" QB who executes the system and can make some big throws at times.

The real difference making addition for the Jets in the next year or two just might be a game-changing TE.  There aren't many in the league... Kittle, Kelce, Mark Andrews, etc. but this offensive system really prizes the TE position.  If the Jets could step into a better than good TE in the next year or two that might just open the offense more than upgrading WR2 might.  Just a thought.