Road to a Division Title

WhartonJet

Overall        Division      Conference    Remaining Games

Dolphins    7-3            2-1                 5-2             Bye, Texans, @49ers, @Chargers, @Bills, Packers, @Pats, Jets

Jets            6-3            2-1                 5-3             @Pats, Bears, @Vikings, @Bills, Lions, Jaguars, @Seahawks, @Dolphins

Bills            6-3            0-2                 4-2             Browns, @Lions, @Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, @Bears, @Bengals, Pats

Patriots      5-4            1-1                 4-2             Jets, @Vikings, Bills, @Cardinals, @Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, @Bills

Head to Head is the 1st tiebreaker, followed by division record, then conference record.

So, its important for the Jets to finish strong and win as many of their remaining division & conference games.  Looking at the remaining schedules, the Dolphins looks the hardest with tough road games 3 weeks in a row (49ers, Chargers, Bills) and only one "easy" (Texans) game.  I see the Dolphins winning 4 games to finish 11-6.

The Bills will probably get right with wins over the lowly Browns and Lions over the next 2 weeks to push their record to 8-3, but then they have 4 division games plus the Bengals (on the road Monday nighter) in a tough 6 game stretch to close out their regular season.  I see the Bills winning 6 games finishing at 12-5.

The Patriots have 6 "tough" games left, and 2 "easier" games left (Cardinals and Raiders who I think both quit on the season).  I see them winning 3-4 games to finish 8-9 or 9-8.

So, for the Jets to win the division, I think it will take a 6-2 finish with one of those wins coming against the Bills (or a loss to the Bills while still having a better division/conference record).  As many on the board have said, the Patriots game will tell us much of what we need to know about the rest of the season.  

How do you see the division shaking out based on the remaining schedules for each team?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Last week of the season Jets vs Miami gets flexed to Sunday Night Football

Win and your in.

doubt it gets to that especially if we win this week.   A win and in would mean we only win against the Jags/Lions

the Bengals have a Brutal schedule, I don't see how they end up making it.

I think the Bills and Dolphins have much easier schedules.  Hard to see them both not making it honestly.

the last spots (2) come down to the Pats, Jets, Chargers.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

doubt it gets to that especially if we win this week.   A win and in would mean we only win against the Jags/Lions

I think the Bills and Dolphins have much easier schedules.  Hard to see them both not making it honestly.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the Dolphins have a brutal schedule the rest of the way.

Bye, Texans, @49ers, @Chargers, @Bills, Packers, @Pats, Jets

There's 1 easy game (Texans), and the rest will be tough including 3 straight weeks on the road against very good teams (@49ers, @Chargers, @Bills,)

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Dolphins    7-3            2-1                 5-2             Bye, Texans, @49ers, @Chargers, @Bills, Packers, @Pats, Jets

Jets            6-3            2-1                 5-3             @Pats, Bears, @Vikings, @Bills, Lions, Jaguars, @Seahawks, @Dolphins

Bills            6-3            0-2                 4-2             Browns, @Lions, @Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, @Bears, @Bengals, Pats

Patriots      5-4            1-1                 4-2             Jets, @Vikings, Bills, @Cardinals, @Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, @Bills

Head to Head is the 1st tiebreaker, followed by division record, then conference record.

So, its important for the Jets to finish strong and win as many of their remaining division & conference games.  Looking at the remaining schedules, the Dolphins looks the hardest with tough road games 3 weeks in a row (49ers, Chargers, Bills) and only one "easy" (Texans) game.  I see the Dolphins winning 4 games to finish 11-6.

The Bills will probably get right with wins over the lowly Browns and Lions over the next 2 weeks to push their record to 8-3, but then they have 4 division games plus the Bengals (on the road Monday nighter) in a tough 6 game stretch to close out their regular season.  I see the Bills winning 6 games finishing at 12-5.

The Patriots have 6 "tough" games left, and 2 "easier" games left (Cardinals and Raiders who I think both quit on the season).  I see them winning 3-4 games to finish 8-9 or 9-8.

So, for the Jets to win the division, I think it will take a 6-2 finish with one of those wins coming against the Bills (or a loss to the Bills while still having a better division/conference record).  As many on the board have said, the Patriots game will tell us much of what we need to know about the rest of the season.  

How do you see the division shaking out based on the remaining schedules for each team?

for the jets, it's pretty simple.  just win the rest of the division games.  but an even more difficult thing is to make sure the team stays focused on the game right in front of them.  they've proven they can beat good teams now they need to beat them when it counts.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Not sure what you are looking at, but the Dolphins have a brutal schedule the rest of the way.

There's 1 easy game (Texans), and the rest will be tough including 3 straight weeks on the road against very good teams (@49ers, @Chargers, @Bills,)

fair enough, that's a good point.

pretty much if you assume the bengals won't make it due to their schedule, everyone minus 1 will get to the playoffs

(jets, fins, bills, pats, chargers)

i think the chargers end up making it as they have lots of winnable games and can see them with 10 wins.

this game against the pats is very important for us as if we win I see 10 wins (win home games lose away games), about 95% chance according to the website i see. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

fair enough, that's a good point.

pretty much if you assume the bengals won't make it due to their schedule, everyone minus 1 will get to the playoffs

(jets, fins, bills, pats, chargers)

i think the chargers end up making it as they have lots of winnable games and can see them with 10 wins.

this game against the pats is very important for us as if we win I see 10 wins (win home games lose away games), about 95% chance according to the website i see. 

I agree with your assessment, but I would flip the Chargers and Bengals.  For some reason, I think something has clicked for the Bengals and they will finish hot and get to 10 wins.

Time to get greedy for the Jets and see if we can win this division.  Hosting a playoff game would be bananas given how nearly everyone felt about this team after the first preseason game where Zach went down 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

At this point I'd be ecstatic with that but I'm not expecting it to be that good. things are falling apart in Buffalo right now

What is your analysis? Obviously Allen is not 100% but he seems to be reverting to reckless gunslinger as well. I don’t get why your coaching staff doesn’t use the RBs more. 

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

What is your analysis? Obviously Allen is not 100% but he seems to be reverting to reckless gunslinger as well. I don’t get why your coaching staff doesn’t use the RBs more. 

He just seems to be trying to do it all himself. People said this team is loaded at the beginning of the year but actually the offense isn't loaded at all. Diggs is a stud but outside of that Davis isn't a consistent number 2 and has been getting by on his performance in the playoffs. The RBs are just meh, the line is inconsistent and Knox is an average TE although he isn't helped by Dorsey's play calling which seems to have pushed him out of the game plan. I'm biased on Allen because I love the guy but he really does carry that offense (along with Diggs).

I think Dorsey's play calling is being figured out and his halftime adjustments just aren't working. Defensively Poyer is a huge hole and god only knows when White finally starts playing again. 

I think they're a bit soft if I'm being honest. I hate Colin Cowherd but he's right when he compares them to Mike Tyson (not that Tyson was ever soft), they're great at knocking people out early but when people start jabbing back and taking them the distance they seem to tire and fall apart.

Even the Browns aren't a gimme as they can actually run it and Buffalo's run D has been terrible lately. 

Luckily I'm well conditioned for this as a life long bills fan so them suddenly blowing it isn't much of a surprise!

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Just Win. Every game from here on out is crucial but this week is absolutely about revenge n sticking it to these guys. Nothing better than beating the Pats in Foxborough & being in control of the division. Huge game.

Not just beating them, but knocking them down below the playoff contention line for a week at least.  Their tears will be delicious if we pull this off.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I don’t think the Chargers are all that. Their DL is decimated and their overall D is not good and the coach flat out sucks.

The Packer game at home is interesting now that the Packers have righted the ship. (At least for this week) and they always seem to somehow get it done against NE

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Phins likely beat Texans, @Chargers, Packers, @Pats, Jets - Finish 12-5

Jets likely beat Bears, Lions, Jaguars, maybe steal one other - Finish 9-8/10-7

Bills likely beat Browns, @Pats, @Lions, Jets, Dolphins, @Bears, Pats, but probably lose one more unexpectedly - Finish 11-6

Pats likely beat Jets.  Finish 6-11, Bill Bellichek retires at Season End.

• Haha 2

I Agree. And I’m thinking worse case playoff scenario ( can’t believe I just said that ) just thinking wild card here.
Assume….
Bills in
Dolphins in
Patriots in
Leaves 1 spot open between Jets/Cincy/Chargers
Just have a better win loss record than them. And we’re in. Again this is worst case playoff scenario

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Miami - 10-7

Jets - 11- 6

Bills 14-3

Pats 6 -11

Jets finish 2nd in the division, should be good enough for a wild card spot, I have the Jets losing to the Bills, Vikings and Seattle.

I think the Pats looked past the Bears to our game. They forced Zach to throw and he took the bait. I expect this to be a different game. With that said, I think we will split with Miami but might sweep the Bills. If we had Breece Hall still, I'd feel good about sweeping Miami too.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Phins likely beat Texans, @Chargers, Packers, @Pats, Jets - Finish 12-5

Jets likely beat Bears, Lions, Jaguars, maybe steal one other - Finish 9-8/10-7

Bills likely beat Browns, @Pats, @Lions, Jets, Dolphins, @Bears, Pats, but probably lose one more unexpectedly - Finish 11-6

Pats likely beat Jets.  Finish 6-11, Bill Bellichek retires at Season End.

I see a lot of this but your last line, Belichick retiring at the end of the season, I don't see him retiring on a down note (2022) unless  he surprises the poop out of all of us and wins the super Bowels...

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

I see a lot of this but your last line, Belichick retiring at the end of the season, I don't see him retiring on a down note (2022) unless  he surprises the poop out of all of us and wins the super Bowels...

Perhaps some wishful thinking on my part, to counter my usual pessimism.

• Haha 1

Bills / Patsies still have to play each other twice ... the outcome there will have a big impact on how the East ends up, obviously.

If Patsies lose both it will make it far harder for them to claim a WC. If they win both ... Buffalo will have a losing record in the division and it may cost them the division win that everyone pretty much handed them in preseason.

Not sure from a Jets POV if a sweep either way is better than a split ... knock one team down but strengthen the other.

But this week is huge for us. Win and we're atop the AFC East, with NE more firmly at the bottom. Lose and we would be bottom (unless Buffalo drop a third consecutive game). So critical that we win this one.

There's only one game that's important on our schedule right now, and that's the PATS !!!!   Win that F'n game like your life depended on it, and then worry about the rest of the games later. Just once lord, I'd love to see a beatdown of the PATS at their house. I love the grit, and never give up attitude... but this needs to be a total humiliation game for this team, and a Zach comeback from the 3 interception games at MetLife. Once we have this game in the bag with our 3 score lead coming out of the 2 minute break, I start whispering in their ears, that the refs can't help you now.

• Upvote 1