Jump to content

This Is What Zach Needs For Motivation! Aspire To Be Jimmy G


32EBoozer

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Grossly dissimilar? 40 passing yards a game? 1 pick? As far as TD's, he has thrown 1 or 2 a game, pretty much like Zach now that the team doesn't  have Breece. You would think the comparison  was to Mahomes. JG is a game manager. 

Over the course of a full season 40 yards a game is 680 yards.  That is four full games worth of passing yards at Zach's current rate.  If you think that 66% and 57% are the same and 11/4 vs 4/5 are insignificant differences, I can't help you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Over the course of a full season 40 yards a game is 680 yards.  That is four full games worth of passing yards at Zach's current rate.  If you think that 66% and 57% are the same and 11/4 vs 4/5 are insignificant differences, I can't help you.  

Zach was throwing the ball away a lot.  I don’t think any of this matters now.  After the season the discussions begin.  

Zach ‘s good games are better than Jimmy G to my eye. Jimmy is what he is.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach was throwing the ball away a lot.  I don’t think any of this matters now.  After the season the discussions begin.  

Zach ‘s good games are better than Jimmy G to my eye. Jimmy is what he is.  

Which good games?  In 2022, he has gone over 200 yards three times.  Two were probably his two worst games (NE and Pitt).  He went for 210 against Miami in a very nice performance.  He has thrown for more TDs than INTs once.  Last week.  That was a very efficient performance, but he only threw for 154. 

Garoppolo has not thrown for less than 211 in a game he started this year.  He has not thrown more INTs than TDs in any game this season (more TDs than INTs 5 times).  He has not thrown for less than 59% all season.  He averages like 2 more yards per attempt

I guess if you are just sticking to the eye test there are times Wilson looks good.  I don't want to bash the kid, he certainly has potential.  There is some truth to the fact that there are times he is doing what he has to since the D and run game have been so good.  Throwing it away and not taking chances.  Still, if you are comparing him favorably to Garoppolo right now, you are delusional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Over the course of a full season 40 yards a game is 680 yards.  That is four full games worth of passing yards at Zach's current rate.  If you think that 66% and 57% are the same and 11/4 vs 4/5 are insignificant differences, I can't help you.  

It's the difference of possibly 2 or 3 completions.  Maybe if our WRs didn't  drop so many passes he would have better passing yards. You know this is weird because I am not a big fan of Zach but you putting JG on some sort of pedestal  is actually pretty funny. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's the difference of possibly 2 or 3 completions.  Maybe if our WRs didn't  drop so many passes he would have better passing yards. You know this is weird because I am not a big fan of Zach but you putting JG on some sort of pedestal  is actually pretty funny. 

Yes.  You got me.  I worship at the feet of the almighty Jimmy Garoppolo.  He is a fairly mid-level starting QB.  That does not mean he is not very significantly ahead of Wilson.  So is Kirk Cousins who the board loves to insult.  

I don't know what your issue is with statistics.  If you don't want to value them, fine but you can still admit that Garoppolo's are WELL ahead of Wilson.  I think it is funny that 2 or 3 completions, or 40 yards a game are insignificant to you, but the what?  One drop more the Jets have than the Niners is somehow meaningful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Which good games?  In 2022, he has gone over 200 yards three times.  Two were probably his two worst games (NE and Pitt).  He went for 210 against Miami in a very nice performance.  He has thrown for more TDs than INTs once.  Last week.  That was a very efficient performance, but he only threw for 154. 

Garoppolo has not thrown for less than 211 in a game he started this year.  He has not thrown more INTs than TDs in any game this season (more TDs than INTs 5 times).  He has not thrown for less than 59% all season.  He averages like 2 more yards per attempt

I guess if you are just sticking to the eye test there are times Wilson looks good.  I don't want to bash the kid, he certainly has potential.  There is some truth to the fact that there are times he is doing what he has to since the D and run game have been so good.  Throwing it away and not taking chances.  Still, if you are comparing him favorably to Garoppolo right now, you are delusional.

I think it gets missed a lot - he’s going to do what he is asked to do.  That’s the standard coaches judge on - not QB rating and Stats.

I think the Buffalo game he did exactly what he was asked to do.  I rewatched the game and he was good and playing winning football - not just “not ruining” it. 

NE game has some hair pulling stuff, but “flashes” for sure.

And the TD passes… trick play and end around OC is getting the job done but that’s not going to pad the stat sheet and the coaches are not going to hold that against Zach either.

The coaches are happy with where Zach is.  They have been transparent the whole time.  They expected progress year 2 and the big jump year 3.  If he keeps getting better like he has the trend is very good.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The coaches are happy with where Zach is.  They have been transparent the whole time.  They expected progress year 2 and the big jump year 3.  If he keeps getting better like he has the trend is very good.  

Next year will be his 3rd season with same HC & OC & running the same system. Remain healthy & get incrementally better every game making the right reads and not running backwards and out of bounds. Above all protect the football.

I wish Zach was a quicker study, but Lefleur and Saleh have also been learning OTJ. Injuries and young receivers haven’t helped him either  Next year… a stronger GW, team oriented EM and a deep, healthy backfield will prime the pump for Zach’s ascension into a top 15 Qb or face a veteran Qb & Streveler or White  in year 4

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Next year will be his 3rd season with same HC & OC & running the same system. Remain healthy & get incrementally better every game making the right reads and not running backwards and out of bounds. Above all protect the football.

I wish Zach was a quicker study, but Lefleur and Saleh have also been learning OTJ. Injuries and young receivers haven’t helped him either  Next year… a stronger GW, team oriented EM and a deep, healthy backfield will prime the pump for Zach’s ascension into a top 15 Qb or face a veteran Qb & Streveler or White  in year 4

 

 

I felt like lots of last season was slower for Zach due to new coaches and no Knapp.  
 

It’s ok for OJT if you have the right people all in place which it’s starting to look like.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jimmy G when healthy is an elite NFL QB.  He's numbers are terrific.  BB wanted him to start and replace Brady.  Shanahan traded for him and paid him.  Jimmy G hasn't been able to stay healthy.   That's his fatal flaw.  

Unlike Zach, Jimmy G got to sit for 3 years behind Tom Brady and learn the game on an established playoff team with a proven HC.  

Zach is more athletic than Jimmy G.  If he develops into a QB like him and can stay healthy it will be a home run pick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I said before the season we should trade for Jimmy G - he would have been fantastic as a mentor for Zach.  I started a thread on the subject this summer and got a lot of eye rolls.  I live in the Bay Area these days, and Jimmy is a guy that can win with the right team around him.  He plays within his abilities (which is what drives Shanahan nuts because his ceiling is not high as a pure passer outside the hashmarks).  But what he does really well:

  • Takes what the D gives him
  • Super quick release
  • Plays great in the "phone booth"

Jimmy G's two biggest flaws are his health (although has been healthy the last two seasons) and his inability to be accurate on the deep out.  But the way that team is built - he could ride SF to the SB.  Plus, unselfish leader and his teammates love him.  If Zach could ape Jimmy's style AND use his god given talent to see and hit the whole field, he would be a top 5 guy in the league.

Most of the Jimmy haters here have shut their mouths and are thankful their season didn't end opening day.  The reality is that Trey Lance was never ready to start this year, and Lynch and Shanahan are beyond lucky they were able to renegotiate Jimmy G's contract and save their season.

But honestly, this is all water under the bridge.  I am really psyched for Zach for the second half of the season.  He might end up breaking our hearts, but he also might be a diamond forged in the press of duty.  

That's why they play the games.  Exciting times.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...