The Jets Defense and the Dreaded Third Down Stops...

SoFlaJets

is something that has been happening during every defensive-minded Jets Head Coach's regime since Bill Belichick scrawled his infamous Take This Job and Shove It on a barroom drink napkin right after the Johnson's took ownership up until...now? Yea, there were flashes here and there. I'll never forget the way Jon Abraham was playing in those first games in his rookie year, looking like a NY team had another Lawrence Taylor to enjoy watching play, another game-changing defensive star who could put the team on his back and secure wins. That is until (of course) "IT*" happened this time being that rookie year against (who else) the frigging Patriots when he sacked Drew Bledsoe, sealing the victory. and immediately crab-walking off the field with a groin injury that made him never be the same player again for us.

From Herm Edwards and Teddy Cottrel, to Eric Mangini and Bob Sutton, Rex Ryan and Mike Petine, Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers, Disaster Gase and Gregg Williams and now to Robert Saleh and Jeff Ulrich, the Jets' defenses could never seem to make the big 3rd and 4th down stops. I even went back and got the numbers but they didn't seem too drastically different nor do they show what my eyes and my memory recall. Over the past decade all the 3 and outs that were followed by the hapless defenses surrendering long, clock-eating scoring drives were the norm. No more. 

Something seems to have clicked with the players since that game in Pittsburgh the team seems to have gotten confidence in itself. The Steelers were still able to cover 6 of 12 3rd down attempts as well a  the only 4th down they tried and to be honest, the Jets defense couldn't seem to stop back-up QB Kenny Pickett, reverting back to their historically usual way of always making their opponents back up quarterbacks look like the 2nd coming of _____ ______ (fill in the blank yourself).

But then the Dolphins, our long-despised rival who had been KICKING our asses for the past 3 seasons came to town October 9th and Ulrich's defense stopped Miami on 3rd & 4th downs 4-11 on 3rd and 0-2 on 4th down attempts. The Next week against the Packers  the 'D' was even better, allowing only 4-16 on 3rd and 1-4 on 4th downs. The Broncos (who I can't stand) always dirty, always co-cky went 5-16 and 1-3 on 4ths. Then the MOST HATED Jets rival the stinking' Patriots even though they won (cheated and robbed by the crooked zebras-again) only managed 7-21 conversions (3rd and 4th downs combined). Finally Buffalo with the strongest running QB since John Elway managed to convert 8 of 13 3rd downs and 0 for 1 on 4ths but if you take away the 6 which were converted on mostly broken plays, it was Josh Allen's legs either for 1st downs or TD's that made the numbers look better than they actually were.

Let's face it guys, it was just no fun watching Jets football up until last month when things started happening that we hadn't seen happen since Leon Hess owned the team,  and I'm telling you now that I am getting this funny feeling....

"IT*"- being the Jets uncanny ability to lose it's most important players to catastrophic and season ending and season changing injuries. You know the names.

• Upvote 1

The entire first half of the patriots game the Jets defense had nobody in the center of the field on 3rd down. It was blatantly obvious just watching on tv. To their credit they adjusted that at halftime, but by that point it was too late.

2 minutes ago, BP said:

The entire first half of the patriots game the Jets defense had nobody in the center of the field on 3rd down. It was blatantly obvious just watching on tv. To their credit they adjusted that at halftime, but by that point it was too late.

Lol, they were up 10-6 at the half. The problem wasn’t the defense in that game, the problem was that they inexplicably gave up on the running game on offense. Don’t see that happening again. 

16 minutes ago, BP said:

They were there but they just forgot to celebrate every play regardless of the result  or who made it in order to bring attention to themselves. 

• Haha 1