Jump to content

Which of these three players would you extend first?


AFJF
 Share

Which of these three players would you extend first?  

98 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of these three players would you extend first?



Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tough call but Pass Rusher > Guard >LB

And that is how I would approach it.

In reality I see no reason we cant keep them all.  None of them are going to break the bank,

I agree with the premise, but Huff was a healthy scratch to start the season.  I don't think it puts him on the level of the others who are starting.  He is playing 10-15 snaps a game.  

I agree that you make offers to them all.  If they are too pricey, that is one thing, but they all belong on a roster.

40 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Herbig. He’s young OLine that can be a quality starter without breaking the bank (tremendous value) and, at worst, too if the line backup. 
 

Huff would be 2nd 

Kwon’s heir will be addressed in’23 draft if Sherwood doesn’t overtake the position. 

I thought they were looking at Sherwood inside?  He took over when Mosley went down.  I guess he played outside last year.  Kwon and Quincy Williams are both UFA, so they are probably going to try very hard to sign at least one.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Huff has been really good, but Herbig has been great. Plus, OL continuity seems to be more important than DL continuity, as they're rotating the DLers.

Herbig has been OK not great. And OK was a very good thing to have but in a world where avt, max Mitchell and Becton are healthy he does not start. And he's not really a center 

I'd sign huff tbh pass rushers are rare af. You can find another nate herbig if you need to 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with Beerfish. Huff is a difference maker as a situational pass rusher. Herbig is turning into one of my favorite Jets. He'd be 2nd. Only because it's an easier position to fill with at least average play. Kwon would be last. He was a late signing. We can draft a replacement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great question. My preference is Herbig because as one other poster cited o line continuity is very important and Herbig has played well and brings a nastiness to the line without going overboard and getting penalized. 
Sign both Huff and Biggie and we as fans would be very happy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

herbig.  he's a big part of the oline and seems pretty durable.  kwon is basically a one year rental.  he's not going to re-sign for what he's getting paid now.  can he replace mosley after next season?  huff?  he's an rfa but i think it depends on how well johnson and cleamons come around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Huff is a RFA so we may not HAVE to extend him first.

Herbig would allow us to be flexible with AVT. Kwon is our 2nd best FA pick up, idk what he ends up costing us this time around.

This. Tender Huff, probably at no less than a second round pick level. Done. 
 
They should consider extending Herbig as soon as now. He’s been solid. But the thing with both Herbig and Alexander is that they were both available during (or close to, I forget) training camp. These types of pick ups will likely be available again and they shouldn’t be looking to break the bank for either of them. And I doubt they will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Id go Huff , Herbig , Alexander. Huff has improved the pass rush .  

Herbig, while a great find might not start for us next year if AVT and Becton return or they like AVT/Mitchell  over Herbig/AVT.

Love what Kwon brings and Id like to bring him back but he is the least important of the 3, IMO.
 

If they do leave we should get draft pick comps which will be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Herbig, while a great find might not start for us next year if AVT and Becton return or they like AVT/Mitchell  over Herbig/AVT.

The Eagles had him working at center and he was doing a decent job there. I’d continue that project. Replacing Feeney as the backup G/C would be great, while replacing McGovern as the starting center could be a home run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought they were looking at Sherwood inside?  He took over when Mosley went down.  I guess he played outside last year.  Kwon and Quincy Williams are both UFA, so they are probably going to try very hard to sign at least one.  
Kwon might be expensive .. but that guy changed the face of this defense.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Huff is a RFA so we may not HAVE to extend him first.

Herbig would allow us to be flexible with AVT. Kwon is our 2nd best FA pick up, idk what he ends up costing us this time around.

BAM! Someone did his research. Herbig is an UFA as is Kwon. Get Herbig signed, make a fair offer for Kwon. Finally, hear what Huff’s agent has to offer for LT security. JD has leverage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, slats said:

But the thing with both Herbig and Alexander is that they were both available during (or close to, I forget) training camp.

Herbig was waived and we were fortunate enough to be awarded him. 
IIRC Kwon was coming off injury and still getting up to speed. Wasn’t seeing high $ offers so he took a 1 year deal to play 1st team reps and hit FA again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep.  Looks like Huff will be an RFA.  He came out in 2020, which means that he will only have 3 accrued years after the season.  That means they can push him down the line.  It also may allow them to make a long term offer under better terms.   Huff has only played 95 snaps this season.  He has like 3 tackles and a sack and a half.  He has a few QB hits, but he has not been a huge stat guy.  Huff is a nice player, but I see him as a DPR rather than a full time player.  Think of Maybin under Rex.  They can make splash plays and kill drives, but they are not necessarily an integral part of the D.  It will be interesting how they value him.   overthecap.com does not seem to expect him to get a ton of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting thing on tendering Huff - he was undrafted.  1st round tender is $5.5M, 2nd round $4M.  Original round ($2.5M) does us no good, but right of first refusal is $2.4M.  The Jets tendered Robbie Anderson at the 2nd round level (which was then $3M) in 2019.  IMO Anderson was certainly worth m ore than Huff at that point. It will be interesting.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting thing on tendering Huff - he was undrafted.  1st round tender is $5.5M, 2nd round $4M.  Original round ($2.5M) does us no good, but right of first refusal is $2.4M.  The Jets tendered Robbie Anderson at the 2nd round level (which was then $3M) in 2019.  IMO Anderson was certainly worth m ore than Huff at that point. It will be interesting.

You could make the point that Anderson was more valuable while also believing him to be more easily replaceable. Huff’s pass rush success rate is hard to ignore, even just as a part time player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  Looks like Huff will be an RFA.  He came out in 2020, which means that he will only have 3 accrued years after the season.  That means they can push him down the line.  It also may allow them to make a long term offer under better terms.   Huff has only played 95 snaps this season.  He has like 3 tackles and a sack and a half.  He has a few QB hits, but he has not been a huge stat guy.  Huff is a nice player, but I see him as a DPR rather than a full time player.  Think of Maybin under Rex.  They can make splash plays and kill drives, but they are not necessarily an integral part of the D.  It will be interesting how they value him.   overthecap.com does not seem to expect him to get a ton of money.

Interesting because I would lean Huff of the options.  How much of this is because he's situational?  What happens if he sees more snaps?  I would assume a contract would bring more playing time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is unlikely Herbig will be back, at least wtihout first testing the FA market.  Don't see why he would sign an extension with us, given how crowded the OL is.  AVT and Tomlinson seem to be locked in to starting G positions.  Maybe Herbig can be moved to C where he can replace McGovern.  But after 4 years as a back-up, he has proven to be a capable starter and has his first UFA season coming up.  

I would love to keep him, but I would expect he would want to test the FA market given this is his first chance to cash in.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huff has to be the priority.

For as good as Herbig has been (and he's really been great), he plays one of the most easily replaceable positions.  With AVT and Tomlinson under contract, the Jets can find a solid OG depth piece in FA or draft one on Day 3.

Huff is not only turning out to be a weapon (weaponzzz?) on Defense, but is giving the Jets optionality at the DE position.  What I mean is that he is 100% the reason the Jets were able to get Jacob Martin off the books and trade him for a late round pick (that could be used on an OG).  Huff is also the guy who gives the Jets some level of leverage with Carl Lawson after this season.  With Jermaine Johnson, JFM, Huff, etc. the Jets would be in a great position to renegotiate Lawson or do a release/re-sign potentially.  Finally.... if Robert Saleh were voting in this we all know what he'd do.  The "organic" pass rush (not blitzing, bringing extra guys, etc.) is his #1 priority on Defense.  It's the straw that stirs the drink and I'd guess he'd tell you that it's the primary reason behind at least 2 or 3 of the Jets wins this year.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think it is unlikely Herbig will be back, at least wtihout first testing the FA market.  Don't see why he would sign an extension with us, given how crowded the OL is.  AVT and Tomlinson seem to be locked in to starting G positions.  Maybe Herbig can be moved to C where he can replace McGovern.  But after 4 years as a back-up, he has proven to be a capable starter and has his first UFA season coming up.  

I would love to keep him, but I would expect he would want to test the FA market given this is his first chance to cash in.

this is a good point 

it's one thing to resign Herbig at Dan Feeney back up center level 

if he wants to be paid like a starting G it's not going to happen here

the return of LDT kind of proves the point how these guys can be found 

like how Herbig himself was found on the waivers 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless the Jets cut Tomlinson to open up a starting G spot for Herbig, they are not resigning Herbig. And AVT will be starting at G next season. AVT is not moving to T. So, the answer is not Herbig because unless the Jets get release Tomlinson, Herbig is not starting on the Jets and he will leave to go someplace where they have a starting spot for him. So, the answer is not Herbig.

Kwon will be a 29 year old 8 season veteran next year. That is the point where a player who has never won a SB starts to prioritize winning. So, he'd likely only leave the Jets for a team he thinks has a better chance of winning the SB in the next 2 to 3 years. I am shocked I am saying this, but that list is short. So, they can wait to sign Kwon, he likely wants to remain a Jet.

That leaves Huff. Situational pass rusher is a premium position. He will be a valuable commodity to other teams. Sign him to a deal as soon as possible, maybe even before this season has ended.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Unless the Jets cut Tomlinson to open up a starting G spot for Herbig, they are not resigning Herbig. And AVT will be starting at G next season. AVT is not moving to T. So, the answer is not Herbig because unless the Jets get release Tomlinson, Herbig is not starting on the Jets and he will leave to go someplace where they have a starting spot for him. So, the answer is not Herbig.

Kwon will be a 29 year old 8 season veteran next year. That is the point where a player who has never won a SB starts to prioritize winning. So, he'd likely only leave the Jets for a team he thinks has a better chance of winning the SB in the next 2 to 3 years. I am shocked I am saying this, but that list is short. So, they can wait to sign Kwon, he likely wants to remain a Jet.

That leaves Huff. Situational pass rusher is a premium position. He will be a valuable commodity to other teams. Sign him to a deal as soon as possible, maybe even before this season has ended.

 

I pretty much agree. 

I DO think there is a higher likelihood of AVT moving to OT than you think. The Jets could find themselves (if Fant leaves in FA and Becton can't overcome his injuries) with a developmental, unproven RT and a 38yr old LT coming off shoulder surgery as their starters. Moving AVT to OT and resigning Herbig is probably a better move than going out and trying to find a stable OT starter in FA or the draft. 

Kwon came to the Jets at a low price because he wanted top play for Saleh and he's had a great year so far. You could argue he wanted a prove it deal to make more money elsewhere and banked on getting the most out of it in Saleh's scheme. But really, I think as long as the Jets don't completely low-ball him, he will stick with the Jets. 

And that leaves Huff. He is a situational pass rusher but for SOME teams he will get much more playing time than he does here. And they will be willing to pay him a considerable chunk. If I was the Jets I would be in extension talks with him yesterday. Having said that, I would not overpay. I think his agent knows his value and its quite possible he wants to hit FA to go to the highest bidder. This will be his first big contract opportunity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...