Pass or Rush Against The Pats

Do the Jets come out throwing  the ball or running against the Pats? 

Personally I still think the Jets are built to run the ball and I hope we have a 65/35 run/pass mix if not more run heavy. 

The Bills are a better defense than the Pats and we were able to rip off some big runs in the 4th qrt because we wore them down. This is not to say we shouldn't take some shots but stay with the short passes to GW and let him make some guys miss, passes to the TE's in the seams and for God sake, Zach doing what he did against the Bills, not bailing on the pocket. 

If we can do this, there is no way NE can beat us with out D. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Personally I still think the Jets are built to run the ball and I hope we have a 65/35 run/pass mix if not more run heavy. 

The Bills are a better defense than the Pats and we were able to rip off some big runs in the 4th qrt because we wore them down. This is not to say we shouldn't take some shots but stay with the short passes to GW and let him make some guys miss, passes to the TE's in the seams and for God sake, Zach doing what he did against the Bills, not bailing on the pocket. 

I really believe it's about moving the chains.  Getting those first downs, and wearing down the Pats defense, while keeping our defense fresh.  The Jets need a good mix of both run and pass, with the emphasis on short passing, as long as the Pats play a soft zone.  If they play tight up, then the offense needs to adjust to that.  My feeling is that Bill won't let the Jets beat them with the short passing game, and will play tight, with the defensive backs ready to help stop the run.  Zach will need to use his legs when he sees daylight, because we really do need to control the clock.  

I see a very low scoring game in this one.  22-17 was last game.  I see the Jets winning 17-3 in a ugly defensive heavy led game, with good field position being a premium.

I think this is the type of game where you play pretty conservatively and see what our defense does. This is going to be a game of the turnover.  if we play conservative and don’t turn the ball over we win. The Pats did it against us the last time. They were ultra conservative and allowed us to make the mistakes. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

As a pessimistic fan, I assume they won't have Corey Davis but think he could be huge for us in the passing game

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if he is back, but Mims looks like he is gaining confidence and could provide that big type of target. Not saying he is at the point of Davis, but I don't think he is the liability out there that we have seen in the past.

Who would have ever thought we could say that based on what we saw last year but good news for the team.  

• Upvote 1

This game comes down to our Defense being able to get off the field.  We have to run the ball to keep the D fresh.  The Pats are very content to kick 6 field goals and their kicker is automatic.  

The Pats will play field position and TOP and try and turn it into an ugly game.   This game is about descipline.  We lost the last game because of a lack of descipline in all 3 phases of the game and a bad decision by the coaching staff on a 4th and 5.

It's real simply we have to stay in early get a lead early and not do dumb stuff.  The last game we broke down in every phase and the Pats didn't.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cop out answer is to say balance is the key.  But we should be able to move the ball on the ground in this one.  NE doesn't allow many rushing TDs (4 on the season) but between the 20s you can run it.  They're allowing 4.7 YPC (t-22nd).

They need to run the ball more 15 rushes as they did last game, a hell of lot more.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It kind of depends on the game script and what is working, doesn't it? 

57 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I think this is the type of game where you play pretty conservatively and see what our defense does. This is going to be a game of the turnover.  if we play conservative and don’t turn the ball over we win. The Pats did it against us the last time. They were ultra conservative and allowed us to make the mistakes. 

Exactly. Let Mac Jones lose the game.

• Upvote 2

Balance early, run late. Pass more on first down than run early, reverse late. People seem to forget that NE did not really fool Zach he sort of teared them apart in the air outside of a few terrible decisions. NE is a mirage. If the Jets lose it is ALL on them (or maybe the refs). We are a better team on both side than NE

New England will replay what worked. They will stack the line and dare Zach to beat them.  They are not great against the run, but an 8 man box will stop a running attack.  I think they look to run.  If they drop the 8th man into the box, hit them with the quick read they used against Buffalo.  If Zach can hit those quick hitters, the defense will have to drop off and then they can run all day.

The recipe they used the first time will work.  The changes are Zach plays clean and gets the ball out of his hands quick and someone smacks Franklin Meyers and the other jugheads.  Those late hits and roughing the passer penalties have to be eliminated if they expect to win.

Do that and we will be 7-3 and in first place.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cop out answer is to say balance is the key.  But we should be able to move the ball on the ground in this one.  NE doesn't allow many rushing TDs (4 on the season) but between the 20s you can run it.  They're allowing 4.7 YPC (t-22nd).

In this game it is about not helping the Patriots score.  That means field position and ensuring against turnovers. Zach Wilson needs to play with the mindset of an adult.  The Jets defense will do the rest. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Exactly. Let Mac Jones lose the game.

Agreed.  I felt like the whole team let down and folded against the Pats.  They had two long drives.  The FG in the 1st quarter and the long TD drive to start the half.  Their 2nd drive of the 3rd quarters was 34 yards for a FG.  They got 9 points on drives of 16, 0 and 4 yards.  Those 9 points are all on Zach and JFM.  If they don't beat themselves again, they should win. 

Belichick is great at fooling young QBs, but hopefully Zach won't fall for it again and the game plan probably won't give him that many opportunities to be tricked.  I think Robinson may get a lot of carries.  He seems more bell cow punish the D, while Carter actually gets more yards.  I guess that's what happened last week anyway.

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This game comes down to our Defense being able to get off the field.  We have to run the ball to keep the D fresh.  The Pats are very content to kick 6 field goals and their kicker is automatic.  

The Pats will play field position and TOP and try and turn it into an ugly game.   This game is about descipline.  We lost the last game because of a lack of descipline in all 3 phases of the game and a bad decision by the coaching staff on a 4th and 5.

It's real simply we have to stay in early get a lead early and not do dumb stuff.  The last game we broke down in every phase and the Pats didn't.  

Yes.  If you watch the first game vs the Pats, it was more of a defensive and special teams failure (with the biggest play being the the roughing the passer penalty that was a 10 point swing)  than a Wilson failure that led to the loss.  17-3 after the pick 6 became 10-6 at halftime after the penalty. Then the Pats drove the field with the first possession of the 2nd half to make it 13-10. Then Zeurlein missed a FG that would have tied the game. After the miss, the Pats drove for a FG to make it 16-10.  Then after a punt, the Pats drove for another FG to make it 19-10. Wilson's 2nd interception (the one that was out of bounds) led to a punt by the Pats.  The 3rd interception at the beginning of the 4th quarter led to a FG and a 22-10 Pats lead.  

• Upvote 1

Last game the Patriots sold against the run a lot of the game. That's a big reason why Zach threw for so many yards, and it's also a big reason why he made multiple bone-headed mistakes. BB knows that the more you make Zach pass, the higher chance of making mistakes there is. 

In the 2 games he threw INTs in he averaged almost 39 pass attempts per game. In all the other games he averaged almost 23 pass attempts with the most in a game being 26. 

BB understands this and will force Zach to make 40+ pass attempts again.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Zach he sort of teared them apart in the air outside of a few terrible decisions

Yes, this has not been talked about enough. See all this BB owns Zach stuff. Zach killed himself that day, like he was high or soemthing. 

He won't be that bad again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It was the Jets first game after the Breece injury and the Pats shut the run down. 

It’s critical they get a run game going, or screen game. Might also need to stretch the field early with some shots to Wilson.

I’d also expect the Pats the get some kind of cheap trick chunk play or TD this game.. after a bye.

13 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes.  If you watch the first game vs the Pats, it was more of a defensive and special teams failure (with the biggest play being the the roughing the passer penalty that was a 10 point swing)  than a Wilson failure that led to the loss.  17-3 after the pick 6 became 10-6 at halftime after the penalty. Then the Pats drove the field with the first possession of the 2nd half to make it 13-10. Then Zeurlein missed a FG that would have tied the game. After the miss, the Pats drove for a FG to make it 16-10.  Then after a punt, the Pats drove for another FG to make it 19-10. Wilson's 2nd interception (the one that was out of bounds) led to a punt by the Pats.  The 3rd interception at the beginning of the 4th quarter led to a FG and a 22-10 Pats lead.  

Wilson's INTs led to 6 points scored by the Pats, and the Jets lost by 5. I wouldn't put the blame all on Wilson, because ST was pretty bad as you said and the defense made a couple idiot mistakes, but this loss was just as much a Wilson failure as it was a D and ST failure. I think Wilson recognized this and he looked like a big boy QB against the Bills, which was nice to see. Hopefully he looks like one against the Patriots too.

• Upvote 1

We tried to pass last game and the 3 ints killed us.

The problem is Belli will do everything on bis power to make us pass.

How we play our offense will be dictated by our defense.  If we get ahead or stay even we run the ball  but if the pats get up by 10 early we are in trouble. 

Last game we were better than them for 3 quarters but they outscored us 13-0 in the 3rd quarter thus the loss.

Both.  Without Hall, I do not think you can replicate what the Packers did.  Let Kapono run.  Lamar and Fields ate the Patriots alive.    He will not be as effective as them obviously, but he can probably do enough damage to keep the Patriots on their heels.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I really believe it's about moving the chains.  Getting those first downs, and wearing down the Pats defense, while keeping our defense fresh.  The Jets need a good mix of both run and pass, with the emphasis on short passing, as long as the Pats play a soft zone.  If they play tight up, then the offense needs to adjust to that.  My feeling is that Bill won't let the Jets beat them with the short passing game, and will play tight, with the defensive backs ready to help stop the run.  Zach will need to use his legs when he sees daylight, because we really do need to control the clock.  

I see a very low scoring game in this one.  22-17 was last game.  I see the Jets winning 17-3 in a ugly defensive heavy led game, with good field position being a premium.

100% 

This is how I see it. 

While the Jets saw success running the ball with a compliment of the quick, short passing game against the Bills, they will need to be ready to adjust because BB will be ready for that and scheme specifically with that in mind. 

However, easier said than done. Its not easy to stop the Jets run game and a decisive Zach Wilson releasing the ball before pressure gets to him with the receivers we have. First lets see if BB can stop us, then we can adjust accordingly. 

As you said, the key will be defense. And in that sense, turnovers. Jets have the edge, IMO. If the Jets O-line can protect Zach enough for him to be an efficient game manager and for the run game to be consistent. If the defense can come in and play their typical high level football without giving up too many critical 3rd downs or committing costly penalties the Jets should have this in the bag.  

24-17 Jets. 

• Upvote 2