Jump to content

Derek Carr


Recommended Posts

The Raiders “committed to” quarterback Derek Carr with a three-year contract extension this offseason worth $120.5 million with $24.9 million guaranteed at signing. Only his $17.4 million 2022 salary and a $7.5 million signing bonus were fully guaranteed. His $32.9 million 2023 salary and $7.5 million of his $41.9 million 2024 salary are currently guaranteed for injury. Those become fully guaranteed three days after this season’s Super Bowl.

If Zach doesn't get much better than we've seen and the Jets miss the playoffs because of it, should we become players? I've been hearing it would take a 2nd rounder and additional assets (a starter or a later round pick)

Would Derek Carr be able to make the Jets Super Bowl contenders for the next few years?

Edit: How the **** does this turd @T0mShane downvote a question?

  • Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd take a Kirk Cousins thing if it means we'd be 8-1 and a leading contender to win it all. 

 

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Everyone I know that watches Carr play every week hates him. I know his #s are good, but is it the Kirk Cousins thing where the #s don't add up?

Kirk Cousins’ Career Earnings

Salary data via Spotrac.

CAREER BASE SALARY: $131,496,600
CAREER SIGNING BONUSES: $58,472,688
OTHER BONUSES/INCENTIVES: $11,700,198
TOTAL SALARY EARNINGS THRU 2022 SEASON: $201,669,486

ESTIMATED SALARY EARNINGS THRU 2023 SEASON: $231,669,486

  • Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd take a Kirk Cousins thing if it means we'd be 8-1 and a leading contender to win it all. 

Until it's a prime-time, elimination or winner-take-all game and a few hours later you're scouring mock drafts and draft guides for QB prospect intel.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derek Carr is a quality QB, but unless we get an elite vet they're not going to make us SB contenders. Especially with the cap space. I'd take him as a holdover for the next drafted QB but I don't see him as the answer.

Give Zach his three years while looking at 2nd-3rd day QBS in '23 if needed (Richardson etc.). If he busts out then trade whatever you need for Drake Maye in '24.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the Jets can be consistent playoff contenders with Carr/Cousins at the helm. I don't know if you can win a SB with those guys though. I think I'd rather move mountains to get Lamar Jackson.

Like you said, it would take something monumental but if he doesn't want to be a Raven Jackson will hold some leverage.  Multiple 1sts and more.  But I shudder to think about this defense and Lamar Jackson with our weapons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd take a Kirk Cousins thing if it means we'd be 8-1 and a leading contender to win it all. 

I am still not sold on Cousins. If you hold him to the Zach Wilson standard winning is not enough. What did Cousins do to beat the Bills? Did he score from the goal line? No. Did he make a spectacular throw late in the game on 4th and 18? No. Did he lead his team to an OT TD ending the game? No.

Not taking anything away form Cousins. He is a good QB. I just don't think he has fully laid his ghosts to rest yet. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Everyone I know that watches Carr play every week hates him. I know his #s are good, but is it the Kirk Cousins thing where the #s don't add up?

What part of 8-1 this year and mostly consistent top 10 production since becoming a full time NFL starter doesn't add up?

Did you want Cousins to play Defense, O-line and RB too?

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Everyone I know that watches Carr play every week hates him. I know his #s are good, but is it the Kirk Cousins thing where the #s don't add up?

would've been great to have kirk cousins honestly. he is SO MUCH better than anything we have trotted out there since

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am still not sold on Cousins. If you hold him to the Zach Wilson standard winning is not enough. What did Cousins do to beat the Bills? Did he score from the goal line? No. Did he make a spectacular throw late in the game on 4th and 18? No. Did he lead his team to an OT TD ending the game? No.

Not taking anything away form Cousins. He is a good QB. I just don't think he has fully laid his ghosts to rest yet. 

haha whattt. The Buffalo game was his 5th 4th quarter comeback and game-winning drive this season. He was clutch down the stretch.

He has been a 4th quarter killer and people would be soiling themselves here if Zach Wilson ever played to his level 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

haha whattt. The Buffalo game was his 5th 4th quarter comeback and game-winning drive this season. He was clutch down the stretch.

He has been a 4th quarter killer and people would be soiling themselves here if Zach Wilson ever played to his level 

4th quarter killer!? He failed to get a TD on the goal line. He does not get credit for a 4th quarter comeback against the Bills.

The previous 3 4th quarter comebacks were Lions, Saints and Bears. Please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you gain in a QB who makes $40M annually over a QB who makes $10M annually needs to more than offset the $30M in other players on the team you lose to be able to afford it. This is also in part why guys look absolutely terrible once they've been re-signed after looking good on rookie deals with elite supporting casts and why I think the bar for rookie QB's has to be kept high.

The Jets could justifiably move money to future years with this roster but Carr's probably the offseason addition and with the need to move money around it probably gives them a pretty short go for it window. We see how quickly things unraveled for the Rams.

Carr also seems super uncomfortable running McDaniels' offense so you'd want to know he'd be happy in this system.

I personally would rather try to keep the roster mostly rolling and take another spin on the rookie QB merry go round for the reasons discussed above, but I get I'm probably in the minority there and I think the majority's perspective on that is totally reasonable given what the last 20 or so years have looked like. I just think it's a good window with this roster, Super Bowls are hard to win, and I'd rather chase that ceiling than a bunch of early playoff exits.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

1 play, a QB sneak, is how you want to define that game haha

 

yeah he shoulda been sneakier on the QB sneak. I agree :) 

One sneak? Try Five plays from 6 yards or closer ....

1st & Goal at BUF 3

(1:09 - 4th) K.Cousins up the middle to BUF 6 for -3 yards (J.Phillips). QB slipped after snap.

(1:05 - 4th) Timeout #2 by BUF at 01:05.

2nd & 6 at BUF 6

(1:05 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to J.Jefferson.

3rd & Goal at BUF 6

(0:59 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to J.Jefferson for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official reviewed the runner broke the plane ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to J.Jefferson to BUF 1 for 5 yards (C.Benford).

(0:57 - 4th) Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:57.

4th & Goal at BUF 1

(0:56 - 4th) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to D.Cook. PENALTY on BUF-J.Phillips, Defensive Offside, 0 yards, enforced at BUF 1 - No Play.

4th & Goal at BUF 1

(0:50 - 4th) K.Cousins up the middle to BUF 1 for no gain (S.Lawson). The Replay Official reviewed the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets got a ton of their own guys they need to pay/retain. There’s no room in the budget for a $25-$30m QB. Unless you want to say goodbye to guys like Quincy, Kwon, Lawson, Corey Davis. They’re better off rolling with the QB on rookie contract 

There is ALWAYS room in the budget for a $25-30M QB.  If you find a QB worth paying $30M you pay him and don't look back.  It is really not that hard to move money around.  Besides, $30M isn't $30M any more. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The Raiders “committed to” quarterback Derek Carr with a three-year contract extension this offseason worth $120.5 million with $24.9 million guaranteed at signing. Only his $17.4 million 2022 salary and a $7.5 million signing bonus were fully guaranteed. His $32.9 million 2023 salary and $7.5 million of his $41.9 million 2024 salary are currently guaranteed for injury. Those become fully guaranteed three days after this season’s Super Bowl.

If Zach doesn't get much better than we've seen and the Jets miss the playoffs because of it, should we become players? I've been hearing it would take a 2nd rounder and additional assets (a starter or a later round pick)

Would Derek Carr be able to make the Jets Super Bowl contenders for the next few years?

Bro he can't win games with davante adams and Josh Jacobs. Thanks but no

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...