CBS QB Rankings: Zach stinks

Bronx

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Things like this are mostly caused by the negative attention driven off his own fan base.  In NY he gets so much exposure and the fans of his own team, inexplicably, want to see him fail.

We have a 5-1 QB, on a 6-3 team - and if you go to the team's most popular fan forum 5 of the top 10 threads on the board will be Zach Wilson sucks threads.

What are the talking heads at CBS supposed to think?

Talking heads aint on this site

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Things like this are mostly caused by the negative attention driven off his own fan base.  In NY he gets so much exposure and the fans of his own team, inexplicably, want to see him fail.

We have a 5-1 QB, on a 6-3 team - and if you go to the team's most popular fan forum 5 of the top 10 threads on the board will be Zach Wilson sucks threads.

If this was actually true Bailey Zappe would be ranked way ahead of Mac Jones. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

Zach should be like 25-30 if you're being honest with his play. underwhelming to this point and......oh, but look at that steelers game... ok great 4th quarter. outside of that its been pretty, well, meh. 

yeah we are winning because the defense and team is much more solid/deep than any of us expected, even with the injuries.

JD and Saleh have done a nice job.

its Zach's turn. would be awesome to see him have a 'break out game' for most fans expectation at qb, not this well, we won. Zach had 175yds passing 1 TD. that can't be the acceptable play from a QB in a passing league. Yes, that can win you a game or 2 on a "bad" week but can't be the norm.

irrational, irate jets fans roast me now. @Paradis don't come at me bro.... @Jetsfan80 have at it 

Kenny Pickett over him is harsh.  lol  Mac Jones and Mayfield too, they're both atrocious players.  Matt Ryan seems high based on this year.  Probably 25-28 range for Zach if I'm taking a list seriously.  The top 15 looks about right, probably put Fields in the top 10-5 range because he's full blown superstar but otherwise, seems fair.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Ah ... Jalen Hurts at 2 and Fields at 11 .. .hmmmmmmmmm ... just did some fact checking . this ranking system is based heavily on fantasy numbers .... I care more about the corn pellets in my turds than this.

I don't know about the fantasy impact.  Here are the guys comments from the article.  

Nothing steers NFL teams quite like quarterbacks. It's possible, not probable, to win in spite of them. It's preferable, not easy, to land the best of them. They are, more than anyone else, the ones who shape the football landscape, week in and week out.

That's why we're ranking all 32 starting signal-callers throughout the 2022 season: to take stock of the most important players in the game, sorting everyone from the bona fide superstars to the QBs who might be worth replacing.

While these rankings don't necessarily reflect which QBs we'd rather have for the remainder of the year (or their career) -- for example, we still trust Tom Brady over, say, Geno Smith -- they are designed to showcase which ones are performing and positioned best at this moment.

Just seems like one guy's subjective ranking of QBs.    While I think 31 may be a bit harsh, he is still, imo, in the bottom tier of NFL QBs, but hopefully that is starting to change.  I was encouraged by the Bills game, I hope he follows it up with a strong outing in NE.  A win in a solid effort against BB and he should begin to move up these rankings.  For whatever that is worth.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

According to LSJF Cody Benjamin knows d*ck.. still rather have Zach over many of those ? .. STATZ are for Pussies….Just win baby

Agreed. I think it is unfair to evaluate Wilson by comparing him to players with far more experience. I totally get what the Jets see in Wilson. The guy has an enormous amount of talent. Based on how well Saleh and his coaching staff has done developing young players and Saleh's stated belief that Wilson does not get enough credit for the plays he makes and getting the Jets into good plays at the line,  I'm just going with "In Robert I Trust" on Zach Wilson. So long as Robert Saleh believes in Wilson, I will too. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He produces (as a passer) better than Zach, is himself now 3-1 as a starter with a win over the undefeated Eagles, and yet fans here are quite critical of him and remain desirous of a better QB. 

Based on previous posts I believe you mean the team is 3-1 with him as a starter.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So CBS is scanning this forum and noticing the negativity and adding more to it for a national audience to read?

LMAO!

I would think yes. CBS HQ is where Brady Quinn and Pete Prisco work - need I say more. They a bunch of Jets haters and it's worse now than it was a few weeks ago.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Probably 25-28 range for Zach if I'm taking a list seriously.

Fair IMO.  

Zach is currently 33rd amongst starting QB's in Completion % (57.5%), with only Russel Wilson and Mayfield behind him.

He's 33rd in TD Pass % (2.4%) with only Pickett and Trubiksy behind him.

He's 28th in INT Pass % (3.0) with Mariotta, Mills, Prescott, Dalton, Fields, Pickett and Jones worse, in that order.

He's 23rd in Passing Yards pert Game (200.3), that Pats Game helping in this category.  Amongst others, Pickett, Mariotta, Fields and Mayfield are all behind him.

He's 34th in QB Rating (75.5) with only Pickett behind him.

I think there is a fair argument for Pickett, Mariotta and Mayfield to be ranked behind Zach as a passer.

Fields is interesting, because as a passer he's clearly behind Zach, no question.  But Fields has 749 rushing yards and 6 TD's to Zach's 68 yards and 1 TD, and that would likely be enough to propel Fields over Zach in any ranking like this.

So maybe he belongs in that 28-29 spot.  With 29/30/31/32 being Fields/Mariotta/Mayfield/Pickett is some order.

Spot on JiF.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Based on previous posts I believe you mean the team is 3-1 with him as a starter.

Only if you're being consistent in application,. which (lets be honest) few Jets Fans are when the topic is Wilson.

But yes, the 'Ders are 3-1 in games started by T.H.

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed. I think it is unfair to evaluate Wilson by comparing him to players with far more experience.

I really bristle over this view. 

If he is a starting NFL QB, he absolutely should be compared to other starting QB's. They have the exact same job.  

If you have the job, you are expected to do the job.  Period, end stop.  There are no mulligans in the NFL and there are no handicaps for NFL QB's like there is for golfers.  

If you don't have enough experience to do the job, maybe you shouldn't have the job in the first place till you gain that experience.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Warfish said:

I really bristle over this view. 

If he is a starting NFL QB, he absolutely should be compared to other starting QB's. They have the exact same job.  

If you have the job, you are expected to do the job.  Period, end stop.  There are no mulligans in the NFL and there are no handicaps for NFL QB's like there is for golfers.  

If you don't have enough experience to do the job, maybe you shouldn't have the job in the first place till you gain that experience.

Salesmen have the same job. I wouldn't compare the sales of a guy in year 2 to one with 12 years experience. Seriously, if the guy with 12 years experience is not appreciably better than the guy with 2 years, "experience" doing a job is meaningless. 

Wilson is not 

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

The Jets as a team are 3-1 against those teams. If you had to pick the weakest position on the team.........

Wilson is not "weak" on physical abilities.  He has them by rote.  It is absolutely obvious.  It is also absolutely obvious that he has not learned the position.  Up until the last game, it was also absolutely obvious that there was no improvement arc.  The same mistakes over and over and over.  BUT...  We did see real improvement in his last game.  If the NE game this Sunday shows his improvement to be a trend that is going to stick, it will be the most significant news the Jets fans have gotten in over a decade.  

This upcoming game against the Pats is dauntingly significant.

1. Did Wilson turn the corner ??? What does that question mean ???

The impact of that answer will be massive. 

If Wilson's continued maturation as a player is a fact and not wishful thinking, the Jets will dispatch NE and signify their place as the new leaders of the AFC East. The Jets will have a young and well appointed roster AND a gifted QB that can at last, apply his physical skills as a maturing professional.  THAT will define the Jets as a quality team in the NFL.  One that wins and competes week to week.  Season to Season.  Playoffs.  Every year.

BUT... If Wilson does not show that he has "learned from his mistakes" and he performs poorly.  The Jets will beat themselves again, New England will come away with a win, and the Jets will walk away with a nice roster and no QB.

No QB = No Team.  And we know how hard it is to find a QB.  Teams have been trying for decades.  "You cant just dial 1-800 Quarterback". (Bill Parcells)

This game is about Wilson and it is HUGE.... HUGE !!!!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Salesmen have the same job. I wouldn't compare the sales of a guy in year 2 to one with 12 years experience. Seriously, if the guy with 12 years experience is not appreciably better than the guy with 2 years, "experience" doing a job is meaningless. 

Salesmen as a dime a dozen, with literally tens of millions of them at any point.

NFL Starting QB's are a population of 32.  The 32 most vital pieces of a trillion dollar business.

Not the same thing my friend.

This is the problem with the modern NFL, the "must play them now" immediacy fallacy.  QB's can sit, but no one has the nuts to actually make them sit, or make them earn their job vs. real competition.  Because teams and coaches are weak, and afraid of their fans and the media.  Five years is a long time, plenty of time to allow a not-quite-ready inexperienced QB time to sit a year (or even two) and learn/get that experience if needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Eagles have the best fan base in the NFL, which is why they turned things around and are 8-0.  

And the wonderful attitude of Patriots fans is why that team has had such great success the past 2+ decades.   

Take a look back to Dec. 15, 1968 when Eagles fans booed and pelted Santa Claus with snowballs.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32872172

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fair IMO.  

Zach is currently 33rd amongst starting QB's in Completion % (57.5%), with only Russel Wilson and Mayfield behind him.

He's 33rd in TD Pass % (2.4%) with only Pickett and Fields behind him.

He's 28th in INT Pass % (3.0) with Mariotta, Mills, Prescott, Dalton, Fields, Pickett and Jones worse, in that order.

He's 23rd in Passing Yards pert Game (200.3), that Pats Game helping in this category.  Amongst others, Pickett, Mariotta, Fields and Mayfield are all behind him.

I think there is a fair argument for Pickett, Mariotta and Mayfield to be ranked behind Zach as a passer.

Fields is interesting, because as a passer he's clearly behind Zach, no question.  But Fields has 749 rushing yards and 6 TD's to Zach's 68 yards and 1 TD, and that would likely be enough to propel Fields over Zach in any ranking like this.

So maybe he belongs in that 28-29 spot.  With 29/30/31/32 being Fields/Mariotta/Mayfield/Pickett is some order.

Spot on JiF.

I know you are absolutely not a Zach homer, but I don't believe that statement can be substantiated by any of the available data. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fair IMO.  

He's 33rd in TD Pass % (2.4%) with only Pickett and Fields behind him.

Spot on JiF.

Yes bUt oNlY bEcaUse Jet fAns aRe beIng unFaiRly nEgatiVe toWarDs hiM!

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Salesmen as a dime a dozen, with literally tens of millions of them at any point.

NFL Starting QB's are a population of 32.  The 32 most vital pieces of a trillion dollar business.

Not the same thing my friend.

This is the problem with the modern NFL, the "must play them now" immediacy fallacy.  QB's can sit, but no one has the nuts to actually make them sit, or make them earn their job vs. real competition.  Because teams and coaches are weak, and afraid of their fans and the media.  Five years is a long time, plenty of time to allow a not-quite-ready inexperienced QB time to sit a year (or even two) and learn/get that experience if needed.

I disagree on the experience part, but I am in lockstep with you on sitting a young QB for 1 or even 2 seasons.

BTW, I think your views on sitting a rookie QB are at odds with your views on the value of experience for an NFL QB.

• Upvote 1