Elijah Reset. We Need Him & It Sounds Like He’s Embracing New Role

32EBoozer

Here's to hoping Elijah did some serious personal inventory and this new found perspective change is genuine. Life can get the best of everyone at times, even young millionaires, and anyone can make some detrimental choices when they feel like there's no way out. 

Maybe the team can take advantage of the young man's change and get some production out of this very talented player.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, JiFapono said:

Meh, he's saving face.  I got a feeling that Moore sent out that tweet as an emotional response and despite his agent being representing Deebo and AJ Brown, his agents knows that you cant do this 20 games into your career.  He's walking it back as instructed so he can be attractive when future contracts on the table. 

That said, I hope he does have a resurgence in the slot.  That would be good for the Jets.  He's a talented player.

Pretty much. 

Its not like the Jets haven't been trying to utilize him. I honestly don't believe the narrative that they have simply been using him as a decoy. Zach has definitely had trouble getting him the ball. But the team has been winning. So his complaints take a back seat. 

So we will see. He could have a good game for a change. I hope the Jets will make an effort to involve him early. He will certainly be on the field. But if their gameplan is working without Moore contributing with catches, if they are controlling the game, dare I say winning the game, I don't see why they should suddenly start trying to target Moore.

The key to this game will be defense, special teams and minimizing turnovers anyway- IMO. Offense will need to be a complete team effort. I don't expect any one player to have a big day.   

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Pretty much. 

Its not like the Jets haven't been trying to utilize him. I honestly don't believe the narrative that they have simply been using him as a decoy. Zach has definitely had trouble getting him the ball. But the team has been winning. So his complaints take a back seat. 

So we will see. He could have a good game for a change. I hope the Jets will make an effort to involve him early. He will certainly be on the field. But if their gameplan is working without Moore contributing with catches, if they are controlling the game, dare I say winning the game, I don't see why they should suddenly start trying to target Moore.

The key to this game will be defense, special teams and minimizing turnovers anyway- IMO. Offense will need to be a complete team effort. I don't expect any one player to have a big day.   

True, but the Pats do play a lot of man and you would think a player like Moore could get open quickly near the LOS from the slot to make it a little easier on Zach vs. a really good pass D.

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

True, but the Pats do play a lot of man and you would think a player like Moore could get open quickly near the LOS from the slot to make it a little easier on Zach vs. a really good pass D.

Yup. I mean, I agree. In this game in particular I think the Jets should and will look to involve him early. But what you said about Moore is also true for G.Wilson, Berrios, Davis (using his large frame on in routes or slants) and even Conklin if he has a LB on him. So I could see Moore getting lost in mix if he does not see early success...especially if, let's say G.Wilson is making plays or the run game is working. 

Corey Davis is likely gone next year, so it make sense for us to try to involve Elijah in this game and moving forward in the season.

Someone asked Saleh the question about Corey during today's press conference and I got the vibe the team may be annoyed its taking Davis so long to find his way back onto the field.  Saleh gave a canned answer about how these types knee issues heal differently for everyone, but the team expects him back next week.  It seemed like a shot across the bow to Davis to me.  

Wonder if anyone who listened to today's press conference got the same feeling.

Here is a link to the press conference.  The part about Corey Davis starts at the :30 second mark.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:35 AM, 32EBoozer said:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/elijah-moore-embracing-new-jets-role-feel-rejuvenated/

Jets wide receiver Elijah Moore went home to Florida during the bye week to spend time with family, and he returned with a smile on his face.

“I feel good. I got my spirit right,” Moore told The Post on Wednesday. “I reflected over everything. I had time with my family. I feel good. I feel rejuvenated.”

has been a tough season for Moore, the second-year wide receiver. He saw his role diminish over the first two months of the season, culminating in him asking for a trade on Oct. 20 and the Jets making him inactive for their game in Denver. Moore returned against the Patriots a week later but has only been targeted once in the past two games and has not caught a pass since Oct. 9 against the Dolphins.

The Jets made a subtle shift in how they used Moore against the Bills, having him play mostly in the slot. Since Moore was drafted the second round in 2021, he has been used him primarily on the outside. But against Buffalo, Moore lined up in the slot on 19 of his 27 snaps, per Pro Football Focus.

The move was not just about Moore. The Jets slid rookie Garrett Wilson outside to the “X” position that Moore had been playing more in the previous two games. Wilson has exploded with two big games, combining for 14 catches for 207 yards. The Jets have also been without Corey Davis (knee) in those games, leading to more playing time for Denzel Mims.

I still think Elijah will be good wherever he goes,” coach Robert Saleh said. “It’s a few things, there’s the emergence of Garrett on the outside also. Elijah, trying to get him some run on the inside where he can utilize his shiftiness and his separation and his route-running ability, so it’s a bunch of different things, and not that he’s going to be exclusive to just the slot. It’s just going to be more opportunities in the slot. So, he hasn’t, to be official with it and maybe, I know it’s been a big deal over the bye week, he’s not making an official move to the slot. It’s just a lot more opportunities in the slot. So, just trying to utilize him to put him in the best positions to be successful.”

When Saleh’s comments about playing in the slot were relayed to Moore, he smiled big.

“Hell yeah. I’m ready man,” Moore said. “I love hearing stuff like that. Moving to the slot, I feel like it’s going to be an adjustment as far as the playbook, but I’m super excited.”

It always has been a little curious why the team viewed Moore as more of an outside receiver. In his final season at Ole Miss, Moore played 77.9 percent of his snaps in the slot, per PFF. As a rookie, the Jets had Moore in the slot just 26 percent of the time.

This season his slot percentage has gone 28, 16, 18, 17, 17, 18, 50, 70 — with the big jump in the past two games.

Though Moore clearly got frustrated last month, he seems to have a more positive attitude entering the second half of the season. “I want to put my best foot forward and just be super positive,” Moore said. “Whenever stuff like this happens and the situation I’m in, everyone’s watching you. There are more eyes. You want to make sure you set an example, because someone else will go through this someday, too. You want to be able to say you handled it well, and that’s all I wanted to do.”

The transition benefitted the team but there is something wrong when a player of Moore"s talent is erased from the game-plan.  Zach said he's just going through his progressions.  Assuming he is right, why isn't Moore in any of those projections.  When an offensive coordinator loses complete sight of an impact talent when game-planning, there is a problem.  

Wilson needs to be a priority but what other player has more potential in the passing game than Moore?  Davis has his spots but is not a game changer.  Berrios has great impact but only in limited spots.

If Moore is not getting open, take him out.  You cannot completely ignore any offensive option.  Otherwise it's 10 against 11.