Zach Wilson needs to use his legs vs Pats

Jetlife33

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach is a materially better runner than his statistics would imply.

I think he's fearful.  I think he thinks about getting hurt when he runs.

I thought this but he has dove head first into the endzone knowing he would absorb hits. I think someone got in his ear and made him believe running diminished his value and he should always pass instead of run. I think Saleh and MiLF have dispelled him of that notion.

• Upvote 3

Yes he does, all QBs in the NFL need to run when it is given to them, look at matt ryan last week, his 37 yard run you could say won them the game.  It's also no riskier for a QB than sitting in the pocket if you run smart.  Look at Josh Allen and how he runs never got hurt then he gets hurt in the pocket.

BB will design a game where he wont let the Jets win with our RB's. He will force Zach to throw. There will be vertical running lanes for him, HE NEEDS to take them and get the 1st down. None of this trying to force the 30 yard touchdown. Thats exactly what BB wants. I hope the kid is smart enough to realize it. Win this game! Doesn't have to be pretty Zach, we just need the DUB BRO. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes he does, all QBs in the NFL need to run when it is given to them, look at matt ryan last week, his 37 yard run you could say won them the game.  It's also no riskier for a QB than sitting in the pocket if you run smart.  Look at Josh Allen and how he runs never got hurt then he gets hurt in the pocket.

Correct, even Zach’s knee injury his rookie season vs NE happened in the pocket. Brady’s ACL tear in ‘08 also comes to mind. 

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

BB will design a game where he wont let the Jets win with our RB's. He will force Zach to throw. There will be vertical running lanes for him, HE NEEDS to take them and get the 1st down. None of this trying to force the 30 yard touchdown. Thats exactly what BB wants. I hope the kid is smart enough to realize it. Win this game! Doesn't have to be pretty Zach, we just need the DUB BRO. 

Yep, also read that NE brings an extra rusher about 30% of the time. On those blitz’s Zach needs to step up and run for it, not run sideways/ backward and force a throw. Now obviously we’re going to need him to throw the ball, and if a guys open let it rip… but seriously I think he can really take over this game with his legs. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Towards the end of last year he started to more often, think the Jax game. Especially coming off the bye with rested legs it’s time for Zach to take off on the ground. 

93DF941B-8E8D-4C51-AB01-A95CE6255591.png

97EC5CC5-0172-4168-91A4-8A2B68D95DA6.png

I agree that Zach needs to run when he can but those stats are inflated by playing both Fields and Jackson.

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I agree that Zach needs to run when he can but those stats are inflated by playing both Fields and Jackson.

Really good point. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence both Bears & Ravens won those games and put up over 30 points. Zach is nowhere near the runner that those guys are, but I think he is definitely serviceable and athletic enough on the ground. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

It wont be freezing. But starting to get cold, prob like 39 at game time. Thats nothing. Plus Zach grew up in Utah. He's not one of these SEC Florida kids who can't handle the cold. 

Last I checked 36 & sunny for kickoff. Don’t think there’s any chance of precipitation. 

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

While I agree with you, Josh Allen is a really bad comparison. He's 6'5" and 240 lbs. Essentially a linebacker at QB. Meanwhile his injury in the pocket has nothing to do with the running argument. Any QB who's in the act of throwing and is obstructed with force will be vulnerable to an injury. Now if you want to talk about Lamar Jackson, or Fields, or the like, that would make more sense.

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

While I agree with you, Josh Allen is a really bad comparison. He's 6'5" and 240 lbs. Essentially a linebacker at QB. Meanwhile his injury in the pocket has nothing to do with the running argument. Any QB who's in the act of throwing and is obstructed with force will be vulnerable to an injury. Now if you want to talk about Lamar Jackson, or Fields, or the like, that would make more sense.

Why is allen a bad comparison?  He runs a lot and does not get hurt running, being big means nothing.  He got hurt in the pocket, you are as likely to get hurt in the pocket as you are running, thus run when given the chance.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why is allen a bad comparison?  He runs a lot and does not get hurt running, being big means nothing.  He got hurt in the pocket, you are as likely to get hurt in the pocket as you are running, thus run when given the chance.

Being big means a lot for Allen. Allen runs like a QB, Lamar Jackson runs like a running back. By that I mean Jackson will find a hole, keep himself low to the ground so he doesn't absorb hits and falls forward like running backs do.

Allen is an effective runner but he runs straight up like a QB, he moves down the field quickly with big strides because he's so big and puts his shoulder into traffic unlike Jackson, because he's so big.

It's a minor miracle that Allen hasn't gotten hurt yet where as Jackson is more sustainable I think

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’m assuming the Jets have also been holding back given Zach’s 2 knee injury’s these past 2 years. I think the time is now to let him loose. 

I agree with you a million percent and I don't think for one second Zach is scared.  I think it's the coaching staff holding him back.  He can run the ball pretty well.

• Upvote 3