JetNation Forums will always be there for you, Twitter may not

Maxman

13 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

It amazes me that people run to Twitter to get reactions to news from faceless people with whom they have no trusting relationships with. The reactions that have value are the people in your life that have earned your trust and respect, not some bot or person that just wants to see the world burn. At least here at JN we are (mostly) likeminded and have a specific purpose and common cause. Twitter will never unite the masses and only serve to create further divide. It’s a swamp!

I agree. Bots are a huge issue (by far the biggest issue in my opinion). Bot Sentinel has helped but it’s not enough.

Good thing jets fans have JN.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would say I'm surprised people actually believe Twitter is going down but then I still see people driving around by themselves wearing a mask.

We are living in just absolutely hysterical times. The plot was lost like 8 seasons ago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Twitter isn’t going anywhere… it’s just the anti Elon crowd thinking it was going to shut down last night lol… still up and running fine this morning 

Betamax is fine it is the superior product to VHS, it ain't going anywhere!

Google?  Snort!  Webcrawler and Ask Jeeves are way better!

The Titanic is unsinkable!

?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

There isn’t a good alternative to what Twitter does which provides space for people to react to news. Mastadon has seen a sharp increase in user profiles. But that app is clunky.

My expectation is  that Twitter will continue to lose users but, until a good alternative is available, it’ll survive. Revenge of the fired employee. Hmm. Part II of the Saga. 

You can still stand on a crate in Times Square and yell at people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Listen, there's nothing I enjoy more than people on both sides of the spectrum having an absolutely, complete meltdown over things they effectively don't pay a nickel to operate or make possible. 

As long as both sides of the spectrum continue to lose sleep over the most trivial of things that people wondering where their next meal is coming from don't have time to worry about, us people in the middle and of sound reason win. 

VIVA JETS NATION!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Listen, there's nothing I enjoy more than people on both sides of the spectrum having an absolutely, complete meltdown over things they effectively don't pay a nickel to operate or make possible. 

As long as both sides of the spectrum continue to lose sleep over the most trivial of things that people wondering where their next meal is coming from don't have time to worry about, us people in the middle and of sound reason win. 

VIVA JETS NATION!!!

^^Seriously smart take that the screaming mimi's will never have the bandwidth to accept. 

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do people realize that the richest man on the planet can lose $45 billion dollars and STILL be the richest man on the planet?

Do people realize that Elon Musk is having the time of his life owning the fourth most visited site on the planet? This is a pet project that may or may not turn a profit, but based on how much attention he is getting, he is winning this either way. 

True.  But Elon probably didn't have $45 billion dollars liquid, so if Twitter fails, how much of that purchase price was collateralized with Tesla stock?  Curious the ripple affect this could all have.

The reality is that today, there isn't a viable alternative to Twitter. But in a year or two? Quite possibly there will be. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

There's a difference between consequence free and equal voice. The consequence should not be disagreeing with the ruling hand and being silenced.

My house my rules.  You don't like it, buy or build your own house.  Or in this case, the people who don't like how Twitter is run, can either build their own (which many are working on) or find a new alternative (which many people are).

Twitter, Facebook, JetNation, et al...  the guys who put up the capital and take the risks make the rules.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do people realize that the richest man on the planet can lose $45 billion dollars and STILL be the richest man on the planet?

Do people realize that Elon Musk is having the time of his life owning the fourth most visited site on the planet? This is a pet project that may or may not turn a profit, but based on how much attention he is getting, he is winning this either way. 

I actually think the reason he bought it was because he recognized the dangers to humanity with the direction Twitter was going, which you referred to in an earlier post. If Covid didnt prove that to people, I don't know what will.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

For all the people worried about freedom of speech, Musk just announced the following and that Kathie Griffin, Jordan Peterson and Babylon Bee have been reinstated, and decision on Trump is pending. Granted, trying to define negative/hate tweets is in part what caused this whole thing. 

New Twitter policy is freedom of speech, but not freedom of reach. Negative/hate tweets will be max deboosted & demonetized, so no ads or other revenue to Twitter. You won’t find the tweet unless you specifically seek it out, which is no different from rest of Internet.

This is pretty fascinating to follow. They'll be using this as a case study in business classes before long, for better or worse.