JetNation Forums will always be there for you, Twitter may not

Maxman

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know all the ins and outs of what they're doing.

Exactly. But if Twitter could have ran the business with that little overhead I'm pretty sure they would have done it.  There's always dead weight in business, but what we're seeing is comical. Let's see how it plays out.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, rillo said:

Exactly. But if Twitter could have ran the business with that little overhead I'm pretty sure they would have done it.  There's always dead weight in business, but what we're seeing is comical. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm not concerned about the guy who runs the company who builds better rocket ships for NASA being able to run a website. That's all.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I pulled up next to a Tesla last year and I took him off the line. Only because he didn't realize I was going to floor it and I got out in front.

Unfortunately we both ended up next to each other at the next light. Damn, what happened there wasn't pretty. That guys Tesla was a rocket ship off the line.

Don’t worry, he probably blew half his battery charge on that street race ?

If you were both heading to Md. you would have passed him at a rest stop in NJ waiting for a charging station for a 4 hour charge. 

12 hours ago, undertow said:

Because like everything else these days people inject their politics into everything and because Musk wants an open platform he's viewed as a threat to democracy or allowing "hate speech" by the freakazoids.....he's the new Trump for the sh*tlibs. 

He banned people for criticizing him.  He's way to thin skined to have an open platform.  "Open Platform" was always a scam.  Most countries that are supposedly democracies are in fact Republics where the tyrany of the minority is engrained in the cutlure.  Hard to know if free speech is either an aid or an enemy to real democracy.  There are so few of them.

An open platform would exclude advertising and pay to play.  Free speech unihibited by the friction of social mores can't be monetized.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He banned people for criticizing him.  He's way to thin skined to have an open platform.  "Open Platform" was always a scam.  Most countries that are supposedly democracies are in fact Republics where the tyrany of the minority is engrained in the cutlure.  Hard to know if free speech is either an aid or an enemy to real democracy.  There are so few of them.

An open platform would exclude advertising and pay to play.  Free speech unihibited by the friction of social mores can't be monetized.  

Who did he ban for criticizing him?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Xtina said:

No, that is what YOU think. You are not upset that thousands of people have lost their jobs to make a point. If the remaining employees are now required to work 80 he weeks, clearly the firees weren’t dead weight. YOU believe there was utter bias which has now been removed. You are projecting your own beliefs onto 100% of the population as if your beliefs represent everyone else’s. 

200.gif

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Xtina said:

No, that is what YOU think. You are not upset that thousands of people have lost their jobs to make a point. If the remaining employees are now required to work 80 he weeks, clearly the firees weren’t dead weight. YOU believe there was utter bias which has now been removed. You are projecting your own beliefs onto 100% of the population as if your beliefs represent everyone else’s. 

I honestly don't even know what you are rambling about, there was utter bias, this has nothing to do with my beliefs, as you have no idea what my beliefs are. It doesnt take beliefs to recognize the absuridty of what was going on at Twitter, it only took like a quarter of a brain

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

You speak in 100% terms. I couldn't care less about politics. I am an Elon Musk fan. I am upset with his lack of human compassion. A lot of people feel the same way.

Understand and I believe in compassion as well when its warranted. My point is that a lot of the people who are painting Musk as some awful human for some of this are ignoring important parts of the context. In addition, most very successful people are willing to forego compassion for buisness. I don't necessarily agree with it, but look at Steve Jobs. That said, I am sure there were plenty of good people caught in the layoffs that just wanted a job, and for those people I am sorry and feel bad. The execs and the ones revolting because of political views, sorry, but you just can't do that.

For those upset how Musk layed off workers at Twitter, those workers got 3 months paid notice.  Not bad from a prick.

Were you equally upset when Disney layed off and off shored their entire IT department with no notice, and FORCED them to train their replacements or they got no severance?

Do you still subscribe to Disney+, go to Disney World, buy Disney merch?

And Disney is not the only company to do this. Happens all the time in the IT world. (Off shoring is usually a disaster, btw)

As per industry standards, Twitter employees were treated pretty good by Musk.  Especially for a workforce that wanted to sabotage him.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm not concerned about the guy who runs the company who builds better rocket ships for NASA being able to run a website. That's all.a

Keep in mind that the only reason Musk builds better rocket ships for NASA is that he hired virtually his whole team from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Cal Tech, which was created and funded by.... NASA. So basically NASA is building rocket ships for Musk. But they do a good job. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Lol @ George Clooney as your celebrity A lister who’s word will move mountains and stir souls to change in human nature by validating a social media platform.  Lol. Good one. 

I just don’t think it’s hold as much cachet if it was Kid Rock(?) sending that DM. He’s more of a regional celeb.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Understand and I believe in compassion as well when its warranted. My point is that a lot of the people who are painting Musk as some awful human for some of this are ignoring important parts of the context. In addition, most very successful people are willing to forego compassion for buisness. I don't necessarily agree with it, but look at Steve Jobs. That said, I am sure there were plenty of good people caught in the layoffs that just wanted a job, and for those people I am sorry and feel bad. The execs and the ones revolting because of political views, sorry, but you just can't do that.

I think what's missing here is that the execs are not just revolting because of supposed "political" views but because they know perfectly well that Twitter survives on its income from sponsors such as Apple and Pfizer and those sponsors have fairly strict rules about what they will support in the interests of their own brand marketing. Musk bloviates about free speech, but he has learned very quickly that Twitter will collapse under its own weight if he runs against the companies who keep Twitter in business. And thus why he quickly pivoted around "free" speech and declared he wouldn't allow hate speech etc. to appease said sponsors. Musk is over his head, despite the naive adoration of his groupies. He didn't want Twitter, was forced into the purchase, then acted out of spite, then panicked and dumped staff precipitously without understanding the mechanics of the company, then pivoted again when that got out of control and he lost another 1200 or so employees he desperately needed, and is now reframing all the threats he made into compromising offers that aren't working to lure people back. It's a total sh*tshow. Really.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I think what's missing here is that the execs are not just revolting because of supposed "political" views but because they know perfectly well that Twitter survives on its income from sponsors such as Apple and Pfizer and those sponsors have fairly strict rules about what they will support in the interests of their own brand marketing. Musk bloviates about free speech, but he has learned very quickly that Twitter will collapse under its own weight if he runs against the companies who keep Twitter in business. And thus why he quickly pivoted around "free" speech and declared he wouldn't allow hate speech etc. to appease said sponsors. Musk is over his head, despite the naive adoration of his groupies. He didn't want Twitter, was forced into the purchase, then acted out of spite, then panicked and dumped staff precipitously without understanding the mechanics of the company, then pivoted again when that got out of control and he lost another 1200 or so employees he desperately needed, and is now reframing all the threats he made into compromising offers that aren't working to lure people back. It's a total sh*tshow. Really.

This doesn't change my stance one iota! If Pfizer is a huge revenue source, and they were claiming anything that went against the vaccine was misinformation, and the execs were ok with that, they were even worse than doing it for political reasons, which I actually think was probably both cases rather than one, and as I said, F them they are human trash.

Just wait until the cancer rates start jumping up to unheard of levels, and all of this for a vaccine that was not tested for transmission, per Pfizer by the way. They literally muted good doctors and good scientist with real opinions and valid views, that all turned out to be true. so I hope they enjoy their blood money, because that is exactly what it is

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

For those upset how Musk layed off workers at Twitter, those workers got 3 months paid notice.  Not bad from a prick.

Were you equally upset when Disney layed off and off shored their entire IT department with no notice, and FORCED them to train their replacements or they got no severance?

Do you still subscribe to Disney+, go to Disney World, buy Disney merch?

And Disney is not the only company to do this. Happens all the time in the IT world. (Off shoring is usually a disaster, btw)

As per industry standards, Twitter employees were treated pretty good by Musk.  Especially for a workforce that wanted to sabotage him.  

Boom!!

29 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This doesn't change my stance one iota! If Pfizer is a huge revenue source, and they were claiming anything that went against the vaccine was misinformation, and the execs were ok with that, they were even worse than doing it for political reasons, which I actually think was probably both cases rather than one, and as I said, F them they are human trash.

Just wait until the cancer rates start jumping up to unheard of levels, and all of this for a vaccine that was not tested for transmission, per Pfizer by the way. They literally muted good doctors and good scientist with real opinions and valid views, that all turned out to be true. so I hope they enjoy their blood money, because that is exactly what it is

My point was about musk, not Pfizer, but don't let that stop your obviously unbiased political diatribe.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Keep in mind that the only reason Musk builds better rocket ships for NASA is that he hired virtually his whole team from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Cal Tech, which was created and funded by.... NASA. So basically NASA is building rocket ships for Musk. But they do a good job. 

So he is a smart businessman.  I concur.

Same difference. He can hire whoever he needs to. When it comes to software dev more developers does not equal more productivity. He also runs that other company, what's it called, Tesla? Pretty sophisticated software dev going on there.

The tech side of this will be easy for him. Twitter isn't going down because a bunch of people left. 100% of the staff could leave tomorrow and the site would still be there running.

I don't know about managing the publicity.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

He definitely has big plans for it, he hasn't been secretive about any of that.  I am a huge fan of the guy but if you want to make Twitter the American WeChat he isn't off to a good start. Advertisers pausing ads, it isn't really inspiring confidence which is needed if Twitter is going to be a payment gateway.

I own a digital marketing company and our social media people manage budgets for a bunch of companies. I always thought Twitter was insane for not following Google's money model. You have $50 to spend? Sure, we will take it.  Google Ads dominated because anyone could get a return on investment on a $200 ad.

Twitter's pricing structure was crazy. I spoke to YES Network years ago and they showed me a quote that Twitter gave them. They out priced themselves by a wide margin for a leading sports network.  I would fix twitter with small subscription stuff and improved tweet boosting.

The $20 a month plan for Twitter Blue went out the window when people balked and it became $8 a month. They promised more engagement, priority placement. And all these developers leaving are without a doubt impacting that. I am a stat nerd, we bought the Twitter Blue check for @JetNation because the old Twitter wouldn't verify us. So far there is absolutely no benefit.

He should have fired half the staff in a less dramatic way. Then lead the rest and have a $20 a month Twitter Blue launch that actually did what they promised.

He is botching this.

My guess when they peeled back the onion there was some funny business going on with the funding prior to Elon taking over. It definitely wasn’t operating on just advertising dollars.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

13CE2767-1D0F-44E9-9CFB-30E38BE70AC7.jpeg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-07/twitter-to-ban-impersonation-if-not-labeled-parody-musk-says?sref=wFhoL57Q

Several users who had impersonated Musk’s Twitter handle, including comedian Kathy Griffin and former NFL player Chris Kluwe, have since had their accounts suspended. Musk later tweeted that Griffin can have her account back for $8, which is the monthly cost of a Twitter Blue subscription.

Thin skinned with an army of dolts following him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

This is why you can't monetize free speech.  If Musk wasn't a phony he could pay off his creditors and set up a trust to fund the operation of an open source twitter with no advertising or revenue sources.  He's trying to monetize it as a profitible business.  He can't do that without twitter adhering to basic societal mores.  Brands simply won't want to be seen next to a turd in a sewer.  

Apple and Google may take it off their apps for the same reason.  

Richest guy in the world who believes in free speach can put his money where his mouth is.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

My point was about musk, not Pfizer, but don't let that stop your obviously unbiased political diatribe.

The sweet, sweet irony of me literally not saying one thing about politics, yet you calling it political diatribe. You can't make this stuff up. I hope you are well compensated for your loyalty, soldier