I'm not looking forward to the game today against the Patriots

Alka

If the Jets win, I will be relieved!!!  If the Jets lose, I will be miserable!!
This is what happens when the Jets are good, at least for me.  When you don't expect them to win, or because they suck, you are so happy when they pull a win out.
When the Jets are better than the opposing team, and when the Jets have a habit of getting snake-bitten by teams like the Patriots, then you get all tense and nervous, and anxiety filled, hoping that the Jets don't screw it up and win like they should win.
I think what the Jets have on their side is that they have young players, who have not "bought in" to the Jets woes over the last decade.  These young players don't know any better, and expect to win, without the thought of "What will go wrong now?"
But, as a Jets fan for over 50 years now, that is unfortunately how my mind thinks.  Since Super Bowl III, something has gone wrong every single year since 1969.  The Jets should have beaten Denver in the AFC Championship game to go to the Super Bowl, they should not have lost to Cleveland when they were up by 10, and Gastineau got the personal foul, they should not have lost to these Patriots in the first game, when we ran back a interception, only to be flagged for a personal foul.  We should not have lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game, and we should not have lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs that one year, when Herm Edwards decided to "play it safe" multiple times, and kicked field goals, only to miss the field goals and lose the game.
I can go on and on and on.  
Winning the game today will turn our fortunes around, once and for all.  I hope.
Gotta keep the faith brother.. it's why we are fans ... There is no other point ... Get excited ... It's just fun to follow the kids and hope for the best.

The reality is it's just entertainment... To let it become more than that will lead to unhealthy perspectives and outcomes.

It's fun to see who is and isn't an imposter ... Ala Mike White (jk).

Go Jets .. Stomp the Pats .. oh sh*t my wings are starting to burn.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

he reality is it's just entertainment... To let it become more than that will lead to unhealthy perspectives and outcomes.

Watching a good movie can draw me into the plot and characters.  Going to a great concert can pull you in, and get you excited.  These are forms of entertainment.  As a devout Jets fan, the team does the same thing for me.  I get excited, relieved, happy, sad, and angry.  I feel lucky to have such strong feelings for this team.  Entertainment at it's finest!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

The Jets are supposed to beat teams like the Pats if they are a good team. If they lose today, they are just not good yet but the formula is there. If Hall didn't  get hurt, we win this in a walk. 

At the end of the day, you are 100% correct!!!  If the Jets lose, then they aren't as good as we all hope they would be.

55 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is what happens when the Jets are good, at least for me.  When you don't expect them to win, or because they suck, you are so happy when they pull a win out.

When the Jets are better than the opposing team, and when the Jets have a habit of getting snake-bitten by teams like the Patriots, then you get all tense and nervous, and anxiety filled, hoping that the Jets don't screw it up and win like they should win.

I think what the Jets have on their side is that they have young players, who have not "bought in" to the Jets woes over the last decade.  These young players don't know any better, and expect to win, without the thought of "What will go wrong now?"

But, as a Jets fan for over 50 years now, that is unfortunately how my mind thinks.  Since Super Bowl III, something has gone wrong every single year since 1969.  The Jets should have beaten Denver in the AFC Championship game to go to the Super Bowl, they should not have lost to Cleveland when they were up by 10, and Gastineau got the personal foul, they should not have lost to these Patriots in the first game, when we ran back a interception, only to be flagged for a personal foul.  We should not have lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game, and we should not have lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs that one year, when Herm Edwards decided to "play it safe" multiple times, and kicked field goals, only to miss the field goals and lose the game.

Winning the game today will turn our fortunes around, once and for all.  I hope.

I literally re-watched the 2004 game against the Steelers this morning.  So painful.  I wanted to feel some of that pain though.  Today we need to be dialed in and turn the fortunes of this franchise around for real. 

• Sympathy 1

As a fan for 57 years I think the OP has this ass backwards.   We've played about 100 games against the Pats since he has been a fan.  Maybe 5 to 10 of them were of any real consequence.  Buckle up and enjoy the ride.  Worst thing that happens is we lose and it's on to next week.  Enjoy the ride.  If the Jets are any good over the next few years there will be plenty of meaningful games against the Pats were our kishke's will be in knots until victory formation.  I actually relish that.  It's the entire point of being a fan of a particular team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

As has been said several times this year, this game today is a "SOJ or Something New and Different" moment.

SOJ get embarrassed, again, by NE.

If we're something new, and different, we go into NE and give em' hell and win.

It's a shame we've been so bad the last decade that we have to go through so many of these moments, but it is what it is.

Win today, kill ghosts.  Lose today, enshrine those ghosts yet further.

Simple as that, really.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets are supposed to beat teams like the Pats if they are a good team. If they lose today, they are just not good yet but the formula is there. If Hall didn't  get hurt, we win this in a walk. 

That's not true. We would still be 6-4 and have shown we can recover from a loss and would still have an excellent chance at the playoffs. A win and the division title becomes a real possibility. NE BUF and MIAMI play each other 5 times still.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

In the NFL good teams lose games they should win every week.  NFL games generally turn on a small percentage of plays and often penalties are a factor.   The league has very few if any “good teams” that win all the games where the matchups appear on paper to favor them.   

There seems to also be belief around the league that the Jets are a good team and the Pats will still beat them.   TBD…

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That's not true. We would still be 6-4 and have shown we can recover from a loss and would still have an excellent chance at the playoffs. A win and the division title becomes a real possibility. NE BUF and MIAMI play each other 5 times still.

If we lose to the Pats, we can't win in the playoffs. The Chios are onbthe tabke for this one. First place and tie breaker. 

I just don't want to see our team get out-coached by Belichick yet again. To me that has been the biggest difference. It's time to stop making excuses and figure out a way to beat this guy because he is the reason we continue to lose, even when we have more talent.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

In the NFL good teams lose games they should win every week.  NFL games generally turn on a small percentage of plays and often penalties are a factor.   The league has very few if any “good teams” that win all the games where the matchups appear on paper to favor them.   

There seems to also be belief around the league that the Jets are a good team and the Pats will still beat them.   TBD…

The Pats are not a good team, they are a bad team. We should beat them. No excuse for losing.

A win would be massive, but a loss would depend on the circumstances.  Something "noncompetitive" would be worrisome.  I hate BB, but the guy does know how to scheme against the Jets and young QBs.

However, a reasonable loss is okay.  This team already has 4 road wins, which is kind of amazing.  They're sort of playing with house money on the road right now....I hope they continue to do so.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

So you hate when the Jets are good?

It seems to me we are a good team now, but anytime we see the NE Uniforms, we get stupid. It reminds me of the 1980's whenever we played the Seahawks when they were in the ACFW. If you check the history, the Jets were a top defense and a good team back then, but played like sheep whenever they saw the Seattle uniforms lol. Todays game should be a win, go out, run the football, play good and win the GD game. Tired of hearing about Bellid*ck already. They are an average to below average football team and talent wise, we are better. Win the GD game.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Not sure you could have stated this any better. I'm trying to buy into this exact thought as well! lets go have a day

Jets deserved to lose today.  New England outplayed them.  The Jets offense is missing Hall and Corey Davis in a big way, as well as a couple of our offensive linemen.  

I think what this game tells me, is that the Jets need to focus on 3 positions in free agency and the draft.  We need another top flight wide receiver (Mims and Elijah Moore both need to go IMO).  We need a top flight linebacker, and not one that weighs 215 pounds.  We need to draft another offensive lineman. (I'm not sure at what position yet)

As far as I'm concerned, Zach Wilson = Mark Sanchez.  Zach is a game manager, and he needs the rest of the team to carry him.  For the Jets to draft Zach at #2, is a major problem.  He isn't good enough, and I hope that the Jets will bring in a real player to challenge Zach, and hopefully replace him.

8 hours ago, Alka said:

The rug has been pulled from under us again, this is what being a Jets fan for along time does to you, you already know it’s happening. 

3 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The rug has been pulled from under us again, this is what being a Jets fan for along time does to you, you already know it’s happening. 

I knew the Jets would lose today.  As much as i wanted to believe otherwise, this is why I really wasn't looking forward to the game today, as is indicated in my title of this thread.  I think the Jets will need to bring in serious competition to compete for the starting QB job next season.  Zach will have to beat a real player to get the QB job next season.  As for this season, as hard as it is to believe, the Jets with their defense still have a real shot at making the playoffs.  I think that Elijah Moore and Mims deserve to be  inactivated, because I think that Mims seems to drop half the passes thrown his way, and Moore doesn't seem to be able to be the same player he was from last season.  OBJ would be a great pickup, but no way would he come to the Jets.  Even if the Jets make the playoffs, they would surely lose in some horrific fashion early on.  What a shame that we lost Hall and AVT this year.  Both players were the highlight of this team on offense. But, we are talking about the Jets.  Things like this continue to happen.  

5 hours ago, Alka said:

Jets deserved to lose today.  New England outplayed them.  The Jets offense is missing Hall and Corey Davis in a big way, as well as a couple of our offensive linemen.  

I think what this game tells me, is that the Jets need to focus on 3 positions in free agency and the draft.  We need another top flight wide receiver (Mims and Elijah Moore both need to go IMO).  We need a top flight linebacker, and not one that weighs 215 pounds.  We need to draft another offensive lineman. (I'm not sure at what position yet)

As far as I'm concerned, Zach Wilson = Mark Sanchez.  Zach is a game manager, and he needs the rest of the team to carry him.  For the Jets to draft Zach at #2, is a major problem.  He isn't good enough, and I hope that the Jets will bring in a real player to challenge Zach, and hopefully replace him.

Sanchez was infinitely better… and not good.