After season ends how long does it take for JD to give Jimmy G a call

CSNY

Sign Jimmy and keep looking at the draft for your next longterm option. Let's do what KC did. 

I'm a firm believer in drafting a QB until you get it right. It's the best way to find longterm success. However enough of making unprepared rookies week 1 starters. Make them earn it. 

• Upvote 4

There are 7 games left. The Jets have a great shot at making the playoffs and they have committed to Zach for the season.

So it depends. Will the Jets make the playoffs? Will they advance? Make any noise? Will Zach play well or be completely ineffective? 

In general I am not against bringing in better veteran competition than what we have in Flacco/White. I also have nothing against going all in on a high priced QB via FA or trade and rolling the dice on putting together a 'win-now' team. Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Carr, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, (not Tom Brady). etc.  

However, this one game does not tell me much about Zach. Of course, it was a huge game and there is a tsunami of fan overreaction now. But the wind conditions were awful, the Pats D played great and BB has a habit of making young QBs look bad. This was a defensive battle and the Jets special teams ended up giving the game away. 

Zach was ineffective but he also did not turn the ball over. He did not play well, he clearly missed some throws. But nothing that suggests to me its time to cut bait. He did not completely implode. So there is no reason, right now, to think the Jets should move on from Zach (by benching him or cutting/trading him) based on this one game. 

Thinking about signing Jimmy G as soon as FA hits at this point in the season is well and good but is a typical overreaction to a tough Jets loss where our QB does not play well (IMO). 

• Upvote 2

Just now, PepPep said:

There are 7 games left. The Jets have a great shot at making the playoffs and they have committed to Zach for the season.

So it depends. Will the Jets make the playoffs? Will they advance? Make any noise? Will Zach play well or be completely ineffective? 

lol, playoffs.

We're in last place and things are only going to get worse from here on out as long as Wilson is under center.

Playoffs.  Ha.  Ha ha.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Probably before free agency begins. With this defense they can not go the draft route again

They still need to draft a QB for the long run, but they need a vet starter which the kid (ZW or other) can learn, and earn the job from. They also need to be sure MLF is the guy to develop and young QB that comes aboard.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Thinking about signing Jimmy G as soon as FA hits at this point in the season is well and good but is a typical overreaction to a tough Jets loss where our QB does not play well (IMO). 

Not an overreaction but a fair assessment. Zach doesn’t seem to set his feet when he throws the ball causing the ball to sail or is waaaay off target ( I liken it to the baseball term “stepping in the bucket” ) The  times he does step, throw & follows through on the pass he is better but those times are few and very far between. 
This has been taught in peewees football and if he hasn’t learned it by now chances are he won’t ever get it. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, playoffs.

We're in last place and things are only going to get worse from here on out as long as Wilson is under center.

Playoffs.  Ha.  Ha ha.  

Ok. Well, this is clearly an overreaction. So thats fine. lmfao.

Without getting into the details, lets just say that Zach Wilson is 5-2 and if the season ended NOW the Jets would be in the playoffs. So while you make it sound like we have no chance, its far from true. The Jets probably only need 3, maybe 4 wins to get in. 

And there's no reason to think things will get worse. The Pats play the 8-1 Vikings in Minn. next week and we have the 3-8 Bears coming to town. So after next week, its not crazy to think we will jump the Pats in the standings. 

In fact, the Pats have a brutal schedule the rest of the way, while the Jets have 3 teams under .500 (Bears, Jags, Lions) and two division games which (for better or worse) will at least give them an opportunity to win the division (Bills and Fins). 

Yes, this was a tough, gut-wrenching loss. But if the Jets can beat the Bills with Zach, they can certainly beat the Bears, Jags, Lions and Seahawks maybe the Fins, Vikings and Bills in Buffalo with Zach.  Again, they only need 3, maybe 4 of those games. Their defense will keep them in every one of them. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Ok. Well, this is clearly an overreaction. So thats fine. lmfao.

Without getting into the details, lets just say that Zach Wilson is 5-2 and if the season ended NOW the Jets would be in the playoffs. So while you make it sound like we have no chance, its far from true. The Jets probably only need 3, maybe 4 wins to get in. 

And there's no reason to think things will get worse. The Pats play the 8-1 Vikings in Minn. next week and we have the 3-8 Bears coming to town. So after next week, its not crazy to think we will jump the Pats in the standings. 

In fact, the Pats have a brutal schedule the rest of the way, while the Jets have 3 teams under .500 (Bears, Jags, Lions) and two division games which (for better or worse) will at least give them an opportunity to win the division (Bills and Fins). 

Yes, this was a tough, gut-wrenching loss. But if the Jets can beat the Bills with Zach, they can certainly beat the Bears, Jags, Lions and Seahawks maybe the Fins, Vikings and Bills in Buffalo with Zach.  Again, they only need 3, maybe 4 of those games. Their defense will keep them in every one of them. 

Still with the QB W-L record at this point?  lmfao.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Not an overreaction but a fair assessment. Zach doesn’t seem to set his feet when he throws the ball causing the ball to sail or is waaaay off target ( I liken it to the baseball term “stepping in the bucket” ) The  times he does step, throw & follows through on the pass he is better but those times are few and very far between. 
This has been taught in peewees football and if he hasn’t learned it by now chances are he won’t ever get it. 

Ok, and I may be wrong but I just feel like had the Jets won the game on a couple of simple Zach throws in OT, getting them in FG range, along with the rest of his poor play and missed throws, we would not have a million threads calling for his head, talking about signing Jimmy G in FA.

The fact that the Jets lost is triggering and fans are pissed and immediately want to replace Zach. If the trade deadline was not over, we'd be talking about who to trade for. Next bets thing- who do we sign in FA or who do we draft. Next week when we beat the Bears with Zach under center, things will calm down again. 

If the Jets then go to Minn. and beat the Vikings to take them to 8-4 and Zach is underwhelming but doesn't turn the ball over. Will we still be calling for his head? Hoping he gets replaced asap? I wonder. Thats all. 

55 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Derek carr

Im leaning this way as well.  He is 31 which is fine and is fairly mobile and has had success with pay action and seem like he can execute the type of offense that we want to run. I just havent watched him enough to know if the raiders struggles are because of him or not.  

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Still with the QB W-L record at this point?  lmfao.

Well, I think you are making the argument that the Jets can't make the playoffs with Zach. And all I am saying is that the Jets are 6-4, 5-2 with Zach, are facing 3 teams that are under .500 and still have an opportunity to not only get into the playoffs but win the division. 

I Mean Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers