Jump to content

Herbig


Mdog

Recommended Posts

First time poster but long time reader.    So to start - Wilson is garbage I agree and this post not meant to take away from how horrible he was. 
 

But I have to think  - Herbig as a late scratch seemed like a really big deal that not enough people are talking about.  That guy has been a beast in the run game (amazing work wearing down Buffalo) and it seemed that the line’s performance without him led to MLF effectively giving up on even trying for short yardage first downs on the ground.    I really think it changed the game plan to some extent.  Like  no jets sweeps or anything showcasing the pulling that herbig is a master at. 
 

We can’t expect to win games with the way Wilson played but if we have to see feeney in there I think we have bigger problems. 
 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

If on agugust 5th , you heard that our line was going to be what we put out there today, you’d vomit.

it’s definitely a factor as to why this offense is struggling.  But Zach was putrid and would likely have been with better linemen too 

Yes, Zach sucked. But no running game had a lot to do with that too

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mdog said:

First time poster but long time reader.    So to start - Wilson is garbage I agree and this post not meant to take away from how horrible he was. 
 

But I have to think  - Herbig as a late scratch seemed like a really big deal that not enough people are talking about.  That guy has been a beast in the run game (amazing work wearing down Buffalo) and it seemed that the line’s performance without him led to MLF effectively giving up on even trying for short yardage first downs on the ground.    I really think it changed the game plan to some extent.  Like  no jets sweeps or anything showcasing the pulling that herbig is a master at. 
 

We can’t expect to win games with the way Wilson played but if we have to see feeney in there I think we have bigger problems. 
 

I agree but I'm getting sick of the excuses with Zach.  Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow played in front of horrible OLs and still produced. 

ZW seemed to partially blame the wind today but noodle-armed Mac Jones threw for 246 yards in the same wind.

Unexpected negative things happen all the time in the NFL.  For example, the Pats thought they had their center back this week but he got injured again.  

And I still think that either Mike White or Joe Flacco would've won this game had either been the starter today.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Coaches knew BB would take away the running game before the game started

That’s funny….because the game plan certainly didn’t reflect the CS knowing that. Seemed they still wanted to try and run the ball and keep most plays close to the LOS. 
 

listen, that may have been an ok way to plan going into the game, but when it wasn’t working into the second half have some balls to give something else a shot downfield. 
 

zW was horrible…but he certainly wasn’t helped by the OL or the CS either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Yes, Zach sucked. But no running game had a lot to do with that too

If you are a defensive coach, what do you take away (focus on) when you play the Jets.  

Are you scared of Zach Wilson or do you focus stopping the run?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

The OL is not a strength at this point, too many injuries, too little depth and overall mediocre talent.

I dunno, man. They're playing with 2/5 starters, and those remaining three are third string and/or were signed midseason because of injuries. The depth is actually pretty decent, all things considered. They just need a modicum of consistency. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, the Claw said:

I dunno, man. They're playing with 2/5 starters, and those remaining three are third string and/or were signed midseason because of injuries. The depth is actually pretty decent, all things considered. They just need a modicum of consistency. 

This is it. This roster is stacked with quality depth.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree but I'm getting sick of the excuses with Zach.  Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow played in front of horrible OLs and still produced. 

ZW seemed to partially blame the wind today but noodle-armed Mac Jones threw for 246 yards in the same wind.

Unexpected negative things happen all the time in the NFL.  For example, the Pats thought they had their center back this week but he got injured again.  

And I still think that either Mike White or Joe Flacco would've won this game had either been the starter today.  

I’m certainly not  making any excuses for ZW who was horrible. Just saying that for some reason(s) ZW looked completely different than last week. Maybe Herbig’s absence made it easier to stop our running game. Having watched that for the entire first half when I do not believe a RB had a carry > 3 yds and the 2 longest runs were ZW scrambles maybe they should have tried something else?  BB put a spy on Wilson in the 2nd half and took away his ability to run out of the pocket…an adjustment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...