What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?

Maxman

What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?

• Bench him
    • Start him but he gets a short rope
    • Nothing, he gets the full year no matter what

i say bench him. if you start him and then bench him Zach would have to play really bad and the backup is coming into a bad situation. then if he plays bad there going to say that we gave another guy a shot and he sucks too. 

to be fair we should give White or Flacco a full game. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Decision time...

I bench him.

I start White, with ~5-10 plays designed for Streveler (mostly runs) to keep the D on their toes.  

Too bad Saleh has (I believe) already made it very clear he's not making any changes.  Probably won't the rest of this year, tbqh.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine this poll's results will fall along party lines.   

Right now on Twitter the majority are torn between starting him with a short rope and benching him all together.  28.5% say he gets the year no matter what. Bench him sentiment is running higher here in the forums.

• Upvote 1

Not much of a decision IMO. 

if you have a short term view, and think this is a potential playoff team only being held back by ZW, you could bench him. But there is no long-term potential answer as a future starting QB on the roster other than ZW. If your over riding look is at this season, that’s a consideration.  Or, if you’re convinced ZW is a future lost cause, you could also pull the plug.

taking a long term view, to see potential needed plans in the off-season you an give ZW the rest of the season and hope the Patriot games were the aberrations and the BUF game was a plus for a 2nd yr QB.  Get the OL healthier, run the ball and design a game plan to get the kid in rhythm like the BUF game.

In a way, the Jets are victims of their own success this season right now …few thought they’d be 6-4 and in playoff contention  

so….do you bench the teams QB with the most potential on the roster thinking about this season first rather than long term implications?

it will be interesting to see what the Jets do here to say the least.  They are playing with house money right now .

personally, and right now I know it’s not a popular opinion, I’d try and get the OL healthier and CD back at WR and get Wilson out of the ‘first make no mistakes’ mentality  let him sink or swim.  But I understand the call for a different QB…I do…but I’m more of a long term planning guy lol

• Upvote 2

Just now, carlito1171 said:

I voted for Starting him but short leash....

Let him live with the fact that he lost a game he only needed one positive drive to win. The bears defense can't stop a nosebleed. If he can't perform against them I would bench him at halftime and go to Mike White. We're at the point where he just can't be handed the job anymore. He needs to learn that there's consequences for poor play and costing the team victories....

Bears passing defense is middle of the pack. Basically you let Zach sink or swim. But they need to have him on a short leash. Win the game and if Zach gets you there so be it. But he can't lose them more games, the playoffs are on the line.

• Upvote 3

I said short rope. I think it’s a big 180 from everything they’ve said to straight up bench him, but there also needs to be accountability. Really worried about them losing the locker room. When losses fall on one position it has to grate on everyone. And I think a positive culture is key in sports. Don’t want to lose that right as they seem to be getting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Right now on Twitter the majority are torn between starting him with a short rope and benching him all together.  28.5% say he gets the year no matter what. Bench him sentiment is running higher here in the forums.

Must be a bunch of Bears fans infiltrating the poll on Twitter, lol.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

He crumbled terribly against a team he has historically done worse against, and the Bears aren't as good of a defense. He shouldn't have played that badly against the 85 bears, let alone the 2022 Patriots. That said, I think he should get another shot and if he struggles against a crappy bears defense then pull him.

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

Saleh has an opportunity to hold his players accountable.  No better way to send that message then to bench your high profile pretty boy qb who has deserves to ride the pine.

We are going to be in this exact kind of spot a year from now

Saleh will be at the mic after another brutal loss with his “Rome wasn’t built in a day” type of shtick on ZW

“He’s the future of the organization”

it’s absolutely insane, but it’s clearly the company line

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bears passing defense is middle of the pack. Basically you let Zach sink or swim. But they need to have him on a short leash. Win the game and if Zach gets you there so be it. But he can't lose them more games, the playoffs are on the line.

They've traded away quite a few of their best defensive players, I doubt they're really that good. Today was the first game since their Patriots blowout that they have allowed less than 30 points. They play in high-scoring games now because their offense have some life but their defense isn't middle of the pack anymore. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If your long term planning involves more "seeing what we got" in Zach Wilson in 2023, I fear you're in for some serious disappointment.

Sam Darnold was a 10x better QB than Zach Wilson.  Let that sink in for a while.  

I get it…..everyone is pissed. 

but if you don’t see there are other factors potentially at play here, I can’t make you I suppose. ZW had a f*cktastic game. I agree. 

but the OL sucked today with 3rd string RG/RT, and MLF called an atrocious game too. There was no running game whatsoever and few plays downfield. 

yes, in all lilkelihood ZW fizzles out…but MW and JF are not long term solutions. I’d rather they play Streveler if they go in another direction. 

but drafting a QB is a big deal draft capital wise, and so is signing someone else’s ‘failure’ for big bucks. ZW has the physical ability, and age/contract to be a FQB and is on the roster. If he fails it’s only draft capital and not salary cap hell.  

Are you looking to maximaize this season? Or looking a few years down the road.  Like I said, if you’re convinced ZW is an ultimate fail, bench him…but if you’re not sure, he’s the only QB on the roster right now who can solve long term QB issues…possibly if they can get him right. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

what scares me is we win which is a good possibility if Fields is out but its the run game and defense that wins it. and Zach is Zach. 55% 18-22 atts no TDs and no INTs and everybody is back on the Zach train. then the Vikings beat us but Zach gets the Buffalo game cause how well he played last time and he gets killed there too. were 7-6 and lose the tiebreakers with the Bengals and Pats and with 4 games left Saleh rides him for the rest of the year. 

the Bears game is our last chance to bench Zach. 

i feel like this is deja vu. its Mark Sanchez all over again. he sucks but were winning so dont do anything about it.

• Post of the Week 1