Saleh on switching to White: "Furthest thing on my mind"

Bronx

Of course he has thought about it, probably all night. However making that change stops the Zach Wilson experience forever on its tracks in New York. Is that the right thing to do? Maybe, maybe not. I am sure communication with Wilson changed after the whole injury issue at the beggining of the year, in which the Wilson camp said one thing and the Jets said another. So Saleh knows if he pulls the trigger in changing Wilson now, it is over. He will not get anything positivie out of Wilson again. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the vibe I get. 

• Upvote 1

I think Saleh knows if he wavers in any way about ZW's status that it will open up a HUGE can of worms.  So unless he's starting to really give up on ZW, he's not going to go down that road. 

I think it's the right approach.

If he believes ZW is salvageable then you have to do what you can to keep his confidence level up.   If the organization loses confidence in him though, you can bet they'll bench him if this crap keeps up.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

You know that’s just coach speak. Of course he was thinks about it. What I don’t get, in the nfl in general, is why is it taboo to make a call to the bullpen? Why can’t you pull your guy if he just doesn’t have it but still go back to him the next week? What is that such a mortal sin?

Oh I agree and we have seen it from HOF QB's just this season.  Both BB and Tomlin gave their young QB's a breather in a game and neither of those dudes were playing as bad as Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

You know that’s just coach speak. Of course he was thinks about it. What I don’t get, in the nfl in general, is why is it taboo to make a call to the bullpen? Why can’t you pull your guy if he just doesn’t have it but still go back to him the next week? What is that such a mortal sin?

Depends on your QB.

Tua was benched as was Jones.  Each situation is different and it is clear that the Jets feel as if benching Zach might. Be a mortal blow and quite frankly it isn’t a good sign. 

Simple, Mike White was elevated for a reason a few weeks back and it wasn’t so he wouldn’t be bumped up if need be. 

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

Organizations entire focus is developing Wilson.  Right or wrong that’s what it is 

You pivot when:

1) it becomes obvious that it will never happen.

2) the entire rest of the roster is ready to compete now

When both occur at the same time and you still won't, you're a stubborn moron and you don't deserve to have the job.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Of course he has thought about it, probably all night. However making that change stops the Zach Wilson experience forever on its tracks in New York. Is that the right thing to do? Maybe, maybe not. I am sure communication with Wilson changed after the whole injury issue at the beggining of the year, in which the Wilson camp said one thing and the Jets said another. So Saleh knows if he pulls the trigger in changing Wilson now, it is over. He will not get anything positivie out of Wilson again. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the vibe I get. 

i agree. 

imagine he knows he has a better QB that can win games but cant play him cause he doesnt want to end Zachs Jet career in just a year and a half. 

it sucks man

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmmm Jets fans this is obvious coach speak. I am amazed people don’t see it yet.  

Saleh is not going to throw publicly any player under the bus especially when as here a player plays poorly after a game. He is not going to do it!

However Saleh has already shown himself to being an excellent HC and his teams so far are always prepared.   Always at least from a strategic standpoint.  So…..

Trust me, Saleh is prepared to sit Zach Wilson down, if need be, he just won’t say it to you or me until he has to. 

i agree but i remember an interview he had with Michael Kay a few weeks ago where Kay asked him in general not about Zach but why dont you see more young QBs get benched for a half and he said he believes it hurts their confidence. 

lets hope that was just BS.

• Upvote 1

Tough spot for Saleh.

Either his second year QB is terrible.

Or his buddy's little brother of a OC is terrible.

Or more likely again, they are both terrible and he's stuck with a roster and a coaching staff, that might have tasted success 15 years ago, but is now outdated in todays modern NFL. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Tough spot for Saleh.

Or more likely again, they are both terrible and he's stuck with a roster and a coaching staff, that might have tasted success 15 years ago, but is now outdated in todays modern NFL. 

well he could settle it if he had balls to bench Zach and try another QB. like last year it was night and day difference when White, Johnson and Flacco played. remember how we joked that ML only called the good plays for them and not Zach.

even Flacco was better this year. 

I think Saleh was right not to speak last night.  He needs to look at the film and make several decisions.  Zach might never be the guy but if he is he might have to sit for awhile to be the guy.  LeFleur might not be the guy and if he isn't what's plan B.  

Zach was absolutely a turd yesterday.  He was also our leading rusher 3 for 26.  Our other running backs had a combined 20 rushes for 59 yards.  Carter was 8 for 19 and he had a long of 8 yards.  James Robinson was 7 for 10 yards with a long of 5 yards.  That's a lot of offensive plays with no gain or negative yards.

NE made a very small adjustment in the 2nd half.  They started spotting Zach and leaving that spotter in the middle so he could no longer run.  We had absolutely no answer for it.

Garrett Wilsons comments were an indictment of the teams preperation on O coming out of the bye.  Besides the preperation the half time adjustments on O weren't exactly noticable.  It looked like a give up by the play caller.  Now that is a lot Zach but it's also a lot Lefleur.  He surrendered to BB masterfully designed D.  It was really hard to watch.

I couldn't believe on the road we actually played for a punt on our last possession to go to overtime.  Why not just wave the white flag. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Saleh was never going to announce a change of QB on a Sunday night after a loss.

If it happens, it's more likely to be announced  during the week, after the coaches look at the tape and have  the slight advantage of give the opposing team less time to prepare.

There was a reason why White was elevated from third string to back up qb a few weeks back. He needed more reps. It will be an interesting week.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, doitny said:

well he could settle it if he had balls to bench Zach and try another QB. like last year it was night and day difference when White, Johnson and Flacco played. remember how we joked that ML only called the good plays for them and not Zach.

even Flacco was better this year. 

Flacco was terrible in two of the three games he played this year. 

If you're feeling generous, the offense has been serviceable in 50% of the non-Zach games. 

MLF is batting .500 regardless of the QB. He's mediocre. 

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

This has to be a Joe Douglas mandate. Saleh is being puppet mastered and the staff is taking a chance of losing the locker room with the love affair towards Wilson.

In fairness,  watching the presser, the question was asked if he thought about switching to White during the game and that was the response he gave. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Tough spot for Saleh.

Well it cant exactly be the last one. 15 years ago LaFleur was heading to junior prom, not experiencing success in the NFL :) 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmmm Jets fans this is obvious coach speak. I am amazed people don’t see it yet.  

Saleh is not going to throw publicly any player under the bus especially when as here a player plays poorly after a game. He is not going to do it!

However Saleh has already shown himself to being an excellent HC and his teams so far are always prepared.   Always at least from a strategic standpoint.  So…..

Trust me, Saleh is prepared to sit Zach Wilson down, if need be, he just won’t say it to you or me until he has to. 

This.

I fully agree, he’s pulling the attention and scrutiny towards himself. Unfortunately, I think this tactic is great for most personality types… but Zach not taking accountability might necessitate a different tact by the coach.

I dunno. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The amount of people who just believe everything they hear and can't read between the lines is astonishing. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Tough spot for Saleh.

we still have a winning record, he's doig something right

Expect Douglas and Saleh are taking today to think this all through. Saleh was not going to announce his starter vs. the Bears from the podium in Foxobough last night. 

Keeps coming back to Willie Colon's point; are they running this team as a team, or is it for the benfit of Zach Wilson? There's a playoff berth to be had, and while this is not a Super Bowl team, that's not a small thing. Haven't been in the playoffs in over a decade. You have 50+ other guys that have fought and toiled since minicamp to have this shot. It's the height of wrong to not chase that if White gives you a better chance to win. Jets don't need White to be Joe Montana, merely average. 

If they keep going down this road with Wilson, defense and th WRs are not gonna take it very well. Can't have one player crap the bed like this and not have a serious issue. 

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

Could you imagine your QB being so bad, that a swing pass or a screen pass has a 40% chance of being completed and you a$$hole clinches the second the play is called and you're like, nah, never thought about how this would be different with a QB that could complete the simplest ask at the position.

40% seems high 

• Haha 2