Jump to content

Zach Wilson’s future if the Jets move on after the season?


Hansen

Recommended Posts

Do you think the Jets can recoup a draft value for him? Bridgewater coming off a serious injury netted a 3. Possibly a 3rd round/conditional 2 is most likely. 

Potential teams?

Bucs?

Colts?

Redskins?

All teams without a long term QB and too good to be in position to draft one of the top guys.

Or do you think the boy decides to take his money and call it quits? He can probably go back to Utah and cover BYU football and bang hot chicks. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hansen said:

Do you think the Jets can recoup a draft value for him? Bridgewater coming off a serious injury netted a 3. Possibly a 3rd round/conditional 2 is most likely. 

Potential teams?

Bucs?

Colts?

Redskins?

All teams without a long term QB and too good to be in position to draft one of the top guys.

Or do you the boy decides to take his money and call it quits? He can probably go back to Utah and cover BYU football and bang hot chicks. 

Someone will think they reclaim him. Happened with Sanchez, Geno, and Sam. High draft picks will garner that type of thought process, point in case Josh Rosen.

I'd imagine in a trade it would have to be a conditional pick. He's been too bad to justify a 2nd round pick straight up IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets arent moving on from Wilson.  They absolutely love him.  Saleh always preaches players get 3 years to try and figure it out.

Wilson looks awful right now and needs to be benched.  Wilson also has tons of talent and can develop into a great qb.

Zach isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Talent isn't the issue. The issue is his on field low IQ and his on field slow processing time. I'm not sure that's going to ever change, it surely didn't for Darnold and he was a much better on field QB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JetPotato said:

What talent are you seeing? I'm genuinely curious.

I see a kid who, even if he proved remotely capable of reads, CAN'T THROW. His feet are always, without fail, in the wrong position. Doesn't use his body, just his arm. So what is it? 

Zach can throw the ball and has some mobility.  Other than that I don’t understand how he’s being assessed as ubertalented.  The 2021 draft class should have a lot of people wondering how so many pundits could be so wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think that has to be lip service to a point.

I have to believe, come February, JD and Saleh have to sit in a room and say that they have a defense that can win it all, they have young talent on offense, Breece, G. Wilson, Moore, Davis, Berrios, Carter, Robinson, Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert, that is young and cheap.  They'll get a health AVT back.  There is no way they sit here and say lets run it back with Zach. Because if they do that, and he still dos what hes doing now, Saleh is likely out of a job and JD is in question.

We can't go back to the Sanchez years where you have a team that can win it all and is held back by the QB.  You need to take steps to win it while you have this window of a cheap and talented team. Zach isn't it, and if we can  see it, you have to think (HOPE) that a football guy like JD can as well.

Especially when Tom frickin Brady is UFA

  • Ugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless it gets really really ugly I don't think the Jets will move on from him after this season. I'm not saying I wouldn't, but I don't think the Jets will.

There's 3 games left on the Jets schedule that they can win with Zach Wilson at QB. Bears, Jaguars, and Lions. Hypothetically, even if they hide Zach and win those games on defense and by being able to run the football (which is becoming harder now with Hall out and the injuries to the O-Line) I think they'll talk about how they went from 4 wins to 9 and how year 3 is the big year for players, including Zach.

I think the best we can hope for as fans, is that the Jets bring in someone like Jimmy G in the off season to compete with him next year. I don't think Carr is likely unless the Jets are just done with Zach after the year. They'd have to trade for him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets arent moving on from Wilson.  They absolutely love him.  Saleh always preaches players get 3 years to try and figure it out.

Wilson looks awful right now and needs to be benched.  Wilson also has tons of talent and can develop into a great qb.

Zach isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't know about that.  Saleh looked different after yesterday's loss.  It wasn't fun, all gas no brakes, or positive vibes.  I think the lightbulb went off.  I'm the HC of an NFL football team and I have to figure out how to win games.  They have protected Zach and tried to lift him and it's not working for the team.  He's the HC of the team.   He's got a lot of players besides the QB to consider.   They thought Zach was ready to break out.  Instead the Pats may have broken him.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I don't know about that.  Saleh looked different after yesterday's loss.  It wasn't fun, all gas no brakes, or positive vibes.  I think the lightbulb went off.  I'm the HC of an NFL football team and I have to figure out how to win games.  They have protected Zach and tried to lift him and it's not working for the team.  He's the HC of the team.   He's got a lot of players besides the QB to consider.   They thought Zach was ready to break out.  Instead the Pats may have broken him.  

Then onto that potential fire, throw the gas of Wilson's presser plus what certainly seems to be the players' reactions to it. I don't remember now, but I think Saleh went out there first, no?

In terms of the locker room, I think Wilson may have done himself more damage in his postgame presser than he did on the field before it, though he did himself plenty of damage on it.

A QB can act play the part of douchebag when he's playing like Rodgers, Brady, or any number of other stuck-up tools (George, Cutler, Rivers, etc.). Not when he'd just played like Rodgers instead trying his luck at throwing with his left hand the whole game just for sh**s and giggles. 

Failing, and then absolving oneself of any/all blame, goes over like a lead balloon. Had he taken a different stance the team might've circled the wagons to support him, even if they were initially very bitter (as most are after a tough loss). 

Truth be told, with is failure of a presser he may have inadvertently made it easier for Saleh to pull him that much quicker. We'll see, but it was a bad look for him no matter how it ends up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Out of the league. He can’t play.

He has negative value right now. You’re getting nothing.

As of today, this is correct.

Sam Darnold still had an air of uncertainty about him when he was moved.  There was (to some degree valid) thoughts that the horrible rosters he played with were a major cause of his failure in NY, along with Crazy Eyes Gase at the end.  That was why we were able to get something for him.

Zach, today, would be nothing more than a very low odds lottery ticket.  Why would (as OP suggests) the Washington Commanders take a risk on Zach Wilson?  Their own backup guy, Heinicke, is better and more productive than Wilson has been, and himself is now 4-1 as a starter despite his own limited and meh level of play.

Someone would have to love Wilson deeply as a prospect to want to pay something for a guy we will almost inevitably cut loose for nothing.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wilson also has tons of talent and can develop into a great qb.

Lol.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then onto that potential fire, throw the gas of Wilson's presser plus what certainly seems to be the players' reactions to it. I don't remember now, but I think Saleh went out there first, no?

In terms of the locker room, I think Wilson may have done himself more damage in his postgame presser than he did on the field before it, though he did himself plenty of damage on it.

A QB can act play the part of douchebag when he's playing like Rodgers, Brady, or any number of other stuck-up tools (George, Cutler, Rivers, etc.). Not when he'd just played like Rodgers instead trying his luck at throwing with his left hand the whole game just for sh**s and giggles. 

Failing, and then absolving oneself of any/all blame, goes over like a lead balloon. Had he taken a different stance the team might've circled the wagons to support him, even if they were initially very bitter (as most are after a tough loss). 

Truth be told, with is failure of a presser he may have inadvertently made it easier for Saleh to pull him that much quicker. We'll see, but it was a bad look for him no matter how it ends up.

It will play out.  Hope it doesn’t train wreck the season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It will play out.  Hope it doesn’t train wreck the season.  

I hope so, too. I don't have an anti-Wilson agenda. I wasn't pounding the table for the Jets to draft Fields instead (rather, admitting freely that I'm not the one to rate these guys). The Jets did draft him so I want him to do well. I could - and can - get past growing pains. That presser didn't sit well with the team. There's surely a way for him to fix it, by humbling himself before the locker room & saying it didn't come out the way he wanted & such. We'll see if he does it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who wouldn’t want this QB?

Let’s break things down:

Leadership? LOL

Efficiency?  No

Accuracy?  No

Clutch?  Not exactly 

decision making?  No

Sound Mechanics?  No

Thrives in pocket?  No

Sees field well?  No

Short passes?  No

Middle of field passes?  No

Rhythm and timing throws?  No

anticipation throws? No

Athleticism?  Yes

Mobility?  Yes

deep passing?  Sometimes

throwing on the move?  Only if it’s a deep throw rolling right and the guy is wide the freak open

”off-platform” ability?  Yes

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, it depends.  If New England has his number and he shows like the Buffalo game from here, he should be brought back to battle a legitimate #1 alternative.  The offensive coordinator is to blame too.  Ran same plays over and over hoping for better success.

Issue with Zach is he loses all sanity when under pressure.  When he is clean, he plays better.  Problem is the offensive line has lost so many players, including Herbig this week.  Difficult, when they play a strong defensive line, to give Zach time.  They didn't open any holes for the running game either.

Unless he fixes his lousy footwork, he will continue to throw off balance and miss wide open receivers.  Someone should smack him in the head and tell him to stop making excuses in post game interviews.  Want to see a clubhouse mutiny?  Let your QB, singlehandedly, submarine the team and make it sound like it's everyone's problem.

If he repeats these mistakes again, he's  a total bust and worthless.  Maybe a desperate team will take a flyer.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hansen said:

Do you think the Jets can recoup a draft value for him? Bridgewater coming off a serious injury netted a 3. Possibly a 3rd round/conditional 2 is most likely. 

Potential teams?

Bucs?

Colts?

Redskins?

All teams without a long term QB and too good to be in position to draft one of the top guys.

Or do you think the boy decides to take his money and call it quits? He can probably go back to Utah and cover BYU football and bang hot chicks. 

no value. Maybe he winds up in CFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in the "Keep trying" camp with ZW. He's too young and raw to give up on this quick.

But....one solution MAY be to bring in a QB in his twilight years, like a Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers type. The year we brought Brett Favre in from retirement would be a perfect scenario. Let ZW sit/play BU a full season, maybe two, while we have competent QB play to go along with the rest of our team.

Then, in a year (or two at the most), re-evaluate where ZW is with his maturity and development, and go from there.

Best of both worlds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...