Do you disagree with either of these 2 points?

WhartonJet

1) This team will not seriously compete for a SuperBowl THIS YEAR with any QB currently on the roster.  So, benching Zach Wilson for Mike White or Flacco won't have a big impact on how we fare this year.  I was all for putting Mike White in the game in the 2nd half yesterday just to spark the team, but I don't believe this offense takes the necessary jump we would need to compete for a SuperBowl by inserting White or Flacco.  If you agree with that, the only thing to do is to play Zach Wilson without a limited playbook and use these next 7 games to see if he can grow as a QB.  I don't think he will, but Mike White or Flacco aren't the long term answers at QB anyway.

,2)  The Jets need to bring viable QB competition into camp next year.  That means a legit NFL starter to battle with Wilson in training camp next year.  My preference has always been Jimmy Garoppolo who is still young and I think would be a perfect fit for the offense and can actually be signed in FA with no draft pick compensation.  But, he will cost a considerable amount to a team looking to resign its own players and get better at several other positions.  I fear the draft capital we committed to Zach will blind JD/Saleh and we go into next season trying to roll the dice that Zach will somehow make a jump in Year 3.

This team is ready to win with any type of competent QB play.  

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

1) This team will not seriously compete for a SuperBowl THIS YEAR with any QB currently on the roster.  So, benching Zach Wilson for Mike White or Flacco won't have a big impact on how we fare this year.  I was all for putting Mike White in the game in the 2nd half yesterday just to spark the team, but I don't believe this offense takes the necessary jump we would need to compete for a SuperBowl by inserting White or Flacco.  If you agree with that, the only thing to do is to play Zach Wilson without a limited playbook and use these next 7 games to see if he can grow as a QB.  I don't think he will, but Mike White or Flacco aren't the long term answers at QB anyway.

,2)  The Jets need to bring viable QB competition into camp next year.  That means a legit NFL starter to battle with Wilson in training camp next year.  My preference has always been Jimmy Garoppolo who is still young and I think would be a perfect fit for the offense and can actually be signed in FA with no draft pick compensation.  But, he will cost a considerable amount to a team looking to resign its own players and get better at several other positions.  I fear the draft capital we committed to Zach will blind JD/Saleh and we go into next season trying to roll the dice that Zach will somehow make a jump in Year 3.

JD should be fired for negligence if we go into 2023 without a viable plan B at QB 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I was really hoping after reading the thread title that there would be a picture of two perky boobs somewhere. 

Also, I don't agree with either point. The Jets haven't made the playoffs in over a decade so just making the playoffs is a huge step in the right direction. I think either one of the other QBs could win enough games with this defense to make that happen. Then you never know what happens. 

On the other point I think you can't just bring in competition. I think you have to p bring in a legit veteran starter who comes in as the starter. Someone like Jimmy G, Carr or Rodgers. 

Did you actually read either point?

1) This team will not seriously compete for a SuperBowl THIS YEAR with any QB currently on the roster.  Not talking about steps in the right direction or just making the playoffs.  Let's not pretend "anything can happen" if we make the playoffs.

2) The Jets need to bring viable QB competition into camp next year.  That means a legit NFL starter.  I said exactly that - not just competition, but a legit NFL starter

The Jets D may be championship caliber. 

Therefore, it is negligent to let that squad waste it's post-season chances because you wasted a 2nd overall draft pick on a player who has not earned his playing time.

Everyone else on the team has to earn PT. Why not Zach? 

• Upvote 2

At the beginning of the season I felt that if the Jets were mediocre 8-9, 9-8 that would be a major step in the right direction. 

Things have changed though. The defense has become one of the if not the best defense in the league. Right now I feel they can control if not, outright shutdown any offense in the league and that includes KC.

I mean think about it. If not for the two losses to the Pats, the Jets would be on a 7 game winning streak, 8-2 an battling KC for home field.

Even though Flacco is basically a statue at this point he could at least read a defense, not get confused or frustrated by it and would get the ball to the right guy. We have seen what Zach can do at this point. We know with White that if a defense actually shows up he has no chance and Career CFL backup guy has no chance either.

Again if this was me. I would activate Flacco have him in the wings waiting and would not hesitate to put him there if Zach is performing like he did yesterday.

I still don't the Super Bowl would have been there even if Zach has played well. But at this point in the year it is not about developing a young QB anymore. The playoffs are within reach and you have to do look at the other 52 guys on that roster and do whatever it takes to get them there. If it means pulling Zach a guy who has been there and knows what it takes to get there then you don't hesitate to pull the trigger and get Flacco in there.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I agree a Super Bowl would be a huge long-shot with any of Zach's backup QB's.

I still think you try.

35 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I completely agree we must have legit competition for Zach next year.  Who that competition should be is an open question.    

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Also, I don't agree with either point. The Jets haven't made the playoffs in over a decade so just making the playoffs is a huge step in the right direction. I think either one of the other QBs could win enough games with this defense to make that happen. Then you never know what happens. 

Do you think the Mets season was significantly enhanced by them making the playoffs and then getting blown out at home by the Padres?  I'm not sure making the playoffs as a Wild Card and then getting destroyed by KC is that critical to measuring the success/failure of this season. JMO

19 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

1) This team will not seriously compete for a SuperBowl THIS YEAR with any QB currently on the roster.  Not talking about steps in the right direction or just making the playoffs.  Let's not pretend "anything can happen" if we make the playoffs.

2) The Jets need to bring viable QB competition into camp next year.  That means a legit NFL starter.  I said exactly that - not just competition, but a legit NFL starter

I read the points. I don't think the only goal for a young team is to win the SB. The playoffs would go a lot for changing a lot of things around the Jets. So if there's a chance a QB change will get them to the playoffs then you make the change. You also have a responsibility to the rest of the team to put out the best players that give you the best chance to win. 

The competition part is where I don't agree. If you bring in Jimmy G its HIS job. There is no open for for Wilson to start in that scenario. So it's not a competition, you're bringing in a guy to be the unquestioned starter. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, at the level this D is playing right now, I'm not so sure they couldnt make a serious playoff run.  Yesterday was such an impressive performance.  I dont think I've seen a D so consistently backed against the wall and keep a team to 3 points.  It was incredible.  When the OL gets healthy again, and hopefully the running game comes back alive, idk man, I'm not sure just competent QB isnt enough to be a dominant team. 

• Upvote 1

The luxury that we have that we maybe didn’t a year ago Douglas and saleh are now very secure in the roles and aren’t totally tied to this qb.  There was the thought that if Wilson failed, the whole regime fails too.  That is not the case now given the track record of talent and team progress.  Therefore it makes it very easy to make a change.

I think this weekend is the perfect barometer game.  They lose, it becomes relatively easy and justifiable to make a change.  They win, he stays.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Do you think the Mets season was significantly enhanced by them making the playoffs and then getting blown out at home by the Padres?  I'm not sure making the playoffs as a Wild Card and then getting destroyed by KC is that critical to measuring the success/failure of this season. JMO

This is asinine. The Jets and Mets are two completely different situations. The Mets don't have a salary cap and have an owner worth$14 billion.

The Jets have one of the youngest teams in the league and are just changing the culture and learning to win. The playoffs will have a major impact on and off the field for the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Imagine if the Phillies had this attitude as the 3rd place also ran the NL East who grabbed the last Wild Card.

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I still don't the Super Bowl would have been there even if Zach has played well. But at this point in the year it is not about developing a young QB anymore. The playoffs are within reach and you have to do look at the other 52 guys on that roster and do whatever it takes to get them there. If it means pulling Zach a guy who has been there and knows what it takes to get there then you don't hesitate to pull the trigger and get Flacco in there.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate, what is better for the team?  Benching Zach, going with Flacco or White, winning 10 games and making it as a road wild card that loses to Balt or Tenn, or staying with Zach and knowing with 100% certainty what you have going into 2023?  The kid is 23 and has played 20 games.  20 games.  Are you sure that's enough to sell the farm and go get Lamar?

Mike White probably isn't the guy of the future, but that's no reason to throw the season away by stubbornly playing Zach Wilson, because the latter empathically isn't.

If the CS and FO need to see more of Zach Wilson airmailing screen passes, and completely missing wide open receivers, then they have no business evaluating QBs. Hell, even if they think he can be salvaged, I don't see how you can't at least sit him and let him reset. Dude is f*cking drowning out there. Throw him a mercy life-raft benching ffs.

This whole "the only thing that matters is evaluating Zach Wilson" thing went out the window as soon as the rest of the team showed they are a playoff contender. Who cares if we don't have a Super Bowl caliber QB on the team right now? It's not about him. It's about the rest of the team, and they deserve the best chance to compete in the playoffs, and that is not Zach Wilson.

If this was an aging team filled with vets that was a stone's throw away from a rebuild, I'd understand the futility of playing for playoffs without a proper QB, but this team is filled with young talent on both sides of the ball that are going to be the core of this team. Any playoff experience will be good for them, whether we have the QB of the future on the team right now or not.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I don't really agree with either point. Zach was abysmal yesterday but LaFleur was as bad or worse. LaFleur, maybe at the behest of Saleh went right back to calling the "offense in a phone booth" which Zach does NOT thrive in at all. I get that our OL is pretty much tattoos over band aids at this point but the tight splits and bunch alignments with almost all routes focused between the numbers does not fit Zach. Look at almost any other competent offense and they use the full field, wider separation on the OL and lots of different formations to create SPACE. LaFleur did literally none of that and insisted on attacking the run up the middle over and over. The playcalling was insanely predictable and unimaginative. On first we either ran up the middle or tried a quick slant and when that failed we ran on 2nd like 100% of the time. Leaving Zach with unmanageable 3rd downs and no chance to get in a rhythm.

Yesterdays game was not the "average" game for Zach though everyone wants to think it was. 

Our defense is so good we will be in every game. In addition the Jets have faced a complete murderer's row of all the top defenses week after week. We do not face top defenses the rest of the way. Zach just beat Buffalo last week. He can rebound but of course the fans and media want to lynch him and never hear from him again. 

Our defense is so good because Saleh and Ulbrich basically ditched their "system" and tailored it to the players we have. Yes we still "rush 4" but our entire LB and secondary philosophy is entirely different. We are an attacking defense, not a "keep everything in front of you" defense.

I though LaFleur had started to do that with the offense last week but he didn't. Look at how Balt handled Jackson. LaFleur needs to tailor the offense to Zach. And part of that is letting him play and even make mistakes.

QB "competitions" are idiotic. Stay with Zach or move on. No half measure 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It sounds insane but I legitimately believe Chris Streveler is the most dynamic qb on the roster. Build a little kk rpo ravens / cards ripoff offense.

let him run it and win some ugly games. The titans did this with Malik Willis when Tanny was hurt. They don't need to do much just have a functioning offense. 

Mike white and Joe Flacco are both better than Zach by default... But the league has a problem defending running qbs right now 

because contract dictates Playing time the strev seeing reps is a fever dream. But it's my favorite daydream of late 

That doesn't sound insane at all.

I'd be all for elevating him to at least QB2. Zach should probably sit for the rest of the season, and they are clearly done with Flacco.

A QB tandem of White/Streveler, no matter how you order it, probably gives us the best chance to win and either would be exciting to me.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is asinine. The Jets and Mets are two completely different situations. The Mets don't have a salary cap and have an owner worth$14 billion.

The Jets have one of the youngest teams in the league and are just changing the culture and learning to win. The playoffs will have a major impact on and off the field for the Jets. 

You made the point that just making the playoffs is some sort of culture changer.  I don't think the culture changed for the Mets making the playoffs at all, regardless of ownership or salary cap.  If you want to call that asinine, that's your business...

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't really agree with either point. Zach was abysmal yesterday but LaFleur was as bad or worse. LaFleur, maybe at the behest of Saleh went right back to calling the "offense in a phone booth" which Zach does NOT thrive in at all. I get that our OL is pretty much tattoos over band aids at this point but the tight splits and bunch alignments with almost all routes focused between the numbers does not fit Zach. Look at almost any other competent offense and they use the full field, wider separation on the OL and lots of different formations to create SPACE. LaFleur did literally none of that and insisted on attacking the run up the middle over and over. The playcalling was insanely predictable and unimaginative. On first we either ran up the middle or tried a quick slant and when that failed we ran on 2nd like 100% of the time. Leaving Zach with unmanageable 3rd downs and no chance to get in a rhythm.

Yesterdays game was not the "average" game for Zach though everyone wants to think it was. 

Our defense is so good we will be in every game. In addition the Jets have faced a complete murderer's row of all the top defenses week after week. We do not face top defenses the rest of the way. Zach just beat Buffalo last week. He can rebound but of course the fans and media want to lynch him and never hear from him again. 

Our defense is so good because Saleh and Ulbrich basically ditched their "system" and tailored it to the players we have. Yes we still "rush 4" but our entire LB and secondary philosophy is entirely different. We are an attacking defense, not a "keep everything in front of you" defense.

I though LaFleur had started to do that with the offense last week but he didn't. Look at how Balt handled Jackson. LaFleur needs to tailor the offense to Zach. And part of that is letting him play and even make mistakes.

QB "competitions" are idiotic. Stay with Zach or move on. No half measure 

Are you saying you think we can win a Superbowl with Zach Wilson this year because our defense is so good?

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Imagine if the Phillies had this attitude as the 3rd place also ran the NL East who grabbed the last Wild Card.

Don't misread what I'm saying.  I'm not saying you don't try to win and make the playoffs.  It's sports.  Anything can happen.  I'm just saying I don't agree that making the playoffs is some kind of culture changing barometer.

#1 is stupid.

It's not about whether you can win a Super Bowl with White or Streveler.

It's about continuing to build a culture of accountability. No one, not even the QB, should be immune from losing playing time. Zachenburg should have been benched for his performance during the game, and he should be benched indefinitely for his attitude after it. The rest of the team simply isn't going to be able to sustain their level of play if they don't have any faith in the QB or the coaching staff for keeping him in there.

If you are one of the few that think Zach has a future in this league, he needs to be out of the lineup, where he is being mentally shattered week after week, and start over from scratch (starting with a complete overhaul of his footwork/throwing motion). He's also at such a rudimentary level of reading the field, he really should only be getting practice reps at this point.

#2, definitely agree. If Zach wants to be the starter in 2023, he needs to do it by beating out a Jimmy G type in training camp next summer.

• Upvote 1

JD has a lot to think about... I'm sure it's not just at the QB position, however that and OL should be his main focus next offseason as well as the draft. I'm not that in love with any QB coming out next year, so my thought process is to get a VET, not named Joe Flacco, in here to compete with ZW. I want as many draft picks in 2024 as possible to move up for 6'5" Maye from UNC. I believe that kid is going to be good, although there still is 2023 to see him play another season. If he declares for the 2024 draft, and he's one of the top prospects, then JD needs to be all in on him. There is no way in hell I pick up Zach's option year unless something miraculous happens in the last half of this season, and next year as a whole. There may not even be a reason to pick it up if he gets beat out by any VET pickup. I'd go after Minshew hard this offseason just to hold the fort until 2024.

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well #2 should have been in place last year and the year before and the year before and the year before.

But that’s not the jet way. They have never wanted a capable backup so the young qb’s feelings wouldn’t feel the pressure, or have media and fans calling for replacement when young qb does back. Just look at all the backups jets have had since, at least sanchez..

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

I don't really agree with point 1. No, I don't think the team is ready to play in the SB but after yesterday, after the QB took no responsibility by saying he didn't think he let the defense down, the Jets must show players like GW, MC, AVT, Hall, And the entire defense that they are committed to winning football and not having a lab experiment at QB. If that means Zach sitting the rest of the season so be it. The guy has played poorly all season except 1 qrt. and pretty sure everyone on the Jets knows it. 

45 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Even if we don’t think they can win a championship this year, what message does it send to the rest of your team if you ride it out with Zach and he continues to tank?

That’s where coaches lose the locker room and the their jobs. This isn’t just about Zach. A coach can only keep the kid gloves on for so long.

21 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Don't misread what I'm saying.  I'm not saying you don't try to win and make the playoffs.  It's sports.  Anything can happen.  I'm just saying I don't agree that making the playoffs is some kind of culture changing barometer.

Getting this young talented roster playoff experience would be important not just to the players here today but to FAs we want to get into the building next year. Especially if that FA is a QB we want.

• Upvote 1

No I don't think I agree with the first point. I think if the Jets even had very mediocre QB play they are in the serious contender conversation. 

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Playing a bit of devil's advocate, what is better for the team?  Benching Zach, going with Flacco or White, winning 10 games and making it as a road wild card that loses to Balt or Tenn, or staying with Zach and knowing with 100% certainty what you have going into 2023?  The kid is 23 and has played 20 games.  20 games.  Are you sure that's enough to sell the farm and go get Lamar?

I think what is best for the team is to stay with Zach but have Flacco in the wings if things start going sideways. Yesterday was a perfect example when you are struggling to figure out the Pats are doing defensively and you are in a 3-3 games and first place in the on the line in the division putting in a guy who has been in this spot many times, succeeded many times and can figure out what they are doing and get to the ball to the right guy it would have been a no-brainer to me midway 3rd qtr early 4th to go and pull the trigger. Doesn't mean Zach's career is over. I saw Al Groh pull Vinny for a series against Tampa in 2000 for Ray Lucas just so Vinny can get his bearings back. I think the fact that Flacco is not even active because of some career CFL backup guy absolutely drives me nuts. 

I think if you get to the post season you roll the dice. I believe this defense could control if not flat out shutdown any offense in this league right now they way the are playing. You have to get there first though and for the first time since 2015 the Jets are in the hunt and they should be using any available resource to get there.

As far as Lamar is concerned. I have always liked the guy. If he is going to be FA after this season I would go all in on him before dumping a few years of high picks on guys like Carr, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Goff, whoever. To me spend the money, lock him up for a number of years and let's go. He would be perfect working with guys like G.Wilson, Moore,  Berrios, and Davis and having him as potential RPO guy with Hall, and Carter ? Holy crap, watch out.

• Upvote 2

Totally agree with opening the playbook and asking ZW to air it out 40+ times a game. After losing Breece, it's all about next year.

Even Saleh said Zack needs reps. Lots of them.

Well, then give him lots of reps. We really need to know what the kid can do, and we won't find out by keeping the gloves on while throwing for 100 yards a game. Let Z play backyard ball....we have the TEs and WRs to feed off that.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the Jets need a veteran QB to come in here.

I will say, though, that I believe Joe Douglas' philosophy is to have all the other pieces in place, and then to make a run with a young, ascending QB on his rookie deal, preferably on a first rounder where there is still control for a fifth year.

For the Jets, Zach Wilson came along a couple years too early. I think they saw an opportunity and felt they had to jump. But it wasn't the ideal timeline. His first contract season was wasted. Plus, well...he hasn't exactly shown much of anything.

The question is whether the franchise gives him a third year to try to develop before either picking up his fifth year option or pulling the cord, or if they make a move on a QB in this year's draft, since the other pieces are mostly in place.

42 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Are you saying you think we can win a Superbowl with Zach Wilson this year because our defense is so good?

Yes. Our defense is better than the Rex defenses and Zach can play at least as well as Sanchez at times and we went to 2 consecutive AFC title games.