Poll: Who do you think will be (not "should be" but "will be") our starter against the Bears?

Poll: Who do you think will be (not "should be" but "will be") our starter against the Bears?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Who do you think will be (not "should be" but "will be") our starter against the Bears?

• Zach Wilson
    • Mike White
    • Joe Flacco
    • "Anyone But Zach" (other than The Strev, who belongs in the CFL)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/2022 at 05:59 PM

I don't think White or Flacco are going to show anything that convinces the CS to make a change. Zach's on a short rope but the fact that he was the unquestioned starter when healthy since being drafted makes me think it's going to take looking really good to take over for Zach. Still possible but not likely, IMO. He doesn't deserve the start though.

Zach needs a rest. It's now or never. Give him a time out, to regroup. I think things are more volatile in that locker room than we know about. Everybody needs to cool off. It's not like this team has never won a football game since he got drafted and didn't play. This is all part of the natural growth process for an NFL QB. If he pouts, we know he's too immature. Then we deal with that. But if he takes it like a man, humbles himself, it just might be the thing that saves his career. 

You're not going to get a better week than right now. 

• Upvote 3

It’s going to be Zach, certain about it. I think what Saleh did today was to send a message and open the door for a future change. Last time Zach had a bad game against New England, he beat Buffalo. Might as well see if he can get it going against a bottom of the league defense before sending him to the bench

Fellas, I think it is obvious that the change was made with the answer to the first question. 

If Saleh had told us which QB would replace Zach, I have no doubt that many of us would have complained about the failure to keep the information from the Bears.  Instead Saleh is milking everything from the change.

Personally, I think it will be Mike White.  He is better at the run substitutes that LaFleur likes to run.  Flacco could work if the OL was healthy but it is not.  Strev is not suited to run the offense but he was with us in training camp so who knows. 

Great day for the Jets.  And to Garrett Wilson.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Coquito said:

If Zach starts, and sh*ts the bed, Saleh signed his own death warrant.

I wish we were playing a tough D again next week. Sink or swim. But playing the bad bears Zach can easily skirt by to hang on for a another week. Then we are right back here when he does run into a good D again..

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It’s going to be Zach, certain about it. I think what Saleh did today was to send a message and open the door for a future change. Last time Zach had a bad game against New England, he beat Buffalo. Might as well see if he can get it going against a bottom of the league defense before sending him to the bench

“ he beat Buffalo “ lol. “ He “ was not terribly, and the Jets did beat Buffalo ?

Saleh said he still needs to review the tape to make a decision on the QB.

We saw enough of the tape to know he will “not” conclude Zach should be the starter v the Bears.  I mean ..what “we” saw..was really bad. 

I’d still want Zach to start, but with a short leash.  I’d want White ready to step in. Flacco is too immobile to play QB behind our depleted/banged up offensive line.

I prefer to see white start but I don’t think the coaching staff will make that move yet. The caveat is we are not privy to how Zack and white are looking in practice. Garrett made a comment about players not practicing well, I see that as a shot at Zack. If white is killing it in practice then he will be the starter. Flacco has been demoted to 3rd string and is in mothballs. No way is he starting.

• Upvote 1

Just now, carlito1171 said:

Zach on a short leash

This is why none of this gets resolved. Let's see another QB execute the gameplan. If they don't, then yeah, ok, I'm leaning towards the people who keep blaming Zach's FAILURE  On the coaches. This is where we were before the (1-2) last three games. This is where we were when the Jets went 4-0. ENOUGH.

I'm sick of the bickering, bantering back and forth. "Zach on a shortleash" "No, let Zach air it out!" blah blah blah

It's all bullcrap, man. 

This guy can't even do basic NFL QB 101 stuff. 

Do the people blaming the OC, Mike LeFleur, even grasp the basic concept of a gameplan?  Do they think that the plays are called arbitrary, willy nilly? Each play called is predicated on the results of the previous play. If it's first and ten? The play is PREDICATED ON THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 MORE PLAYS TO ACQUIRE TEN YARDS AND THUS GET A NEW SET OF DOWNS. You call a play on first and ten with a set of priorities, and based on the result, you call your next play. THE GAMEPLAN ALREADY HAS YOUR NEXT PLAY WRITTEN, AND IT'S BASED ON THE RESULTS OF THE PREVIOUS PLAY. There are a limited number of potential outcomes on any first and ten play. THEY ARE ALL WRITTEN DOWN. THEY ARE SCRIPTED. You already have a play WRITTEN down based on down on distance. If the potential outcome of a first and ten play is bad, then the next play called is a result of that. This is how a gameplan, works. LOL. It's not rocket science. Occasionally, you have to go off script. That's why teams are alotted timeouts. LOL. To reassess the situation. But out of all the potential outcomes, the ideal outcome on each down and distance play that is called always leads to efficiently moving the chains, eventually exploiting a weakness or breakdown in the opposing defense, Scoring either a FG or a TD. 

This is a game of potential outcomes. The OC's play call is predicated on down and distance. the defense, more or less is the same. But sometimes the Defense shows something different, not what you expected or not what they usually do. So you call a timeout and come up with a different play. 

None of this HINDERS THE QB'S ABILITY OR PERFORMANCE. 

Indeed, the QB, more than anyone else on the field, has the advantage. Every play. Every down and distance. BECAUSE ONLY HE KNOWS WHERE THE BALL IS ACTUALLY GOING. Defenders can only guess. 

The only situation where a QB loses that advantage? 

Well just watch Zach. Go watch that Kurt Warner breakdown. 

Go watch how vulnerable the defense is on almost always those plays where Zach sh*ts the bed. I get it, it's just for a second (that's true for every QB in the NFL).  But Zach misses the opportunity more often than not. This is beyond ridiculous we have to argue this.

• Upvote 1

Streveler is the only one who remotely moves the needle for me.  Flacco is beyond done and White never was or will be.  All I saw out of Streveler was MOXIE and WINS.  Next year sign a vet, draft somebody when it makes sense (not #1), now ZW and them can all fight for it over the summer.  Go with the best player for the team, done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

This is why none of this gets resolved. Let's see another QB execute the gameplan. If they don't, then yeah, ok, I'm leaning towards the people who keep blaming Zach's FAILURE  On the coaches. This is where we were before the (1-2) last three games. This is where we were when the Jets went 4-0. ENOUGH.

I'm sick of the bickering, bantering back and forth. "Zach on a shortleash" "No, let Zach air it out!" blah blah blah

It's all bullcrap, man. 

This guy can't even do basic NFL QB 101 stuff. 

Do the people blaming the OC, Mike LeFleur, even grasp the basic concept of a gameplan?  Do they think that the plays are called arbitrary, willy nilly? Each play called is predicated on the results of the previous play. If it's first and ten? The play is PREDICATED ON THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 MORE PLAYS TO ACQUIRE TEN YARDS AND THUS GET A NEW SET OF DOWNS. You call a play on first and ten with a set of priorities, and based on the result, you call your next play. THE GAMEPLAN ALREADY HAS YOUR NEXT PLAY WRITTEN, AND IT'S BASED ON THE RESULTS OF THE PREVIOUS PLAY. There are a limited number of potential outcomes on any first and ten play. THEY ARE ALL WRITTEN DOWN. THEY ARE SCRIPTED. You already have a play WRITTEN down based on down on distance. If the potential outcome of a first and ten play is bad, then the next play called is a result of that. This is how a gameplan, works. LOL. It's not rocket science. Occasionally, you have to go off script. That's why teams are alotted timeouts. LOL. To reassess the situation. But out of all the potential outcomes, the ideal outcome on each down and distance play that is called always leads to efficiently moving the chains, eventually exploiting a weakness or breakdown in the opposing defense, Scoring either a FG or a TD. 

This is a game of potential outcomes. The OC's play call is predicated on down and distance. the defense, more or less is the same. But sometimes the Defense shows something different, not what you expected or not what they usually do. So you call a timeout and come up with a different play. 

None of this HINDERS THE QB'S ABILITY OR PERFORMANCE. 

Indeed, the QB, more than anyone else on the field, has the advantage. Every play. Every down and distance. BECAUSE ONLY HE KNOWS WHERE THE BALL IS ACTUALLY GOING. Defenders can only guess. 

The only situation where a QB loses that advantage? 

Well just watch Zach. Go watch that Kurt Warner breakdown. 

Go watch how vulnerable the defense is on almost always those plays where Zach sh*ts the bed. I get it, it's just for a second (that's true for every QB in the NFL).  But Zach misses the opportunity more often than not. This is beyond ridiculous we have to argue this.

I hope that rant made you feel better and you were able to let ALLLLLLL your feelings out ???‍♂️

Yeah I've come round to the idea that it will be Flacco - I think with a gun to their head they probably think higher. Certainly MLF was calling completely different games with him at QB, even at times to the detriment of the team. 

I'd prefer White - I'm not anti-Flacco at all though. We were able to move the ball with him earlier in the year - I think people may be onto something when they say the staff was just testing White as a backup to Zach without ever intending to go to him - It also makes sense of Flacco's weird comments when he was demoted. I don't think it was a case of the staff suddenly preferring White. Saleh's "all options" quote seems to suggest that the currently assigned backup may not be the guy. 

Most of all I just want to see Wilson, Moore, Carter etc. with a competent QB who can get them the ball when they're wide open. I don't think any of them are good, certainly none are the answer but they cannot possibly be much worse than Zach.