Unfortunately the ridiculousness of NY has crushed Zach

AlexVanDyke

18 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is more infamous that You play to win the game and Sanchez' butt fumble, but congrats Zach, you finally made it into the Jets Hall Of Shame. It wasn't so much his saying it, it was the punk ass way he said it and then walked away like he couldn't care less what the people who have "no idea what they're talking about"how they feel about it because he is so above them all and untouchable. What a punk. Being a punk can be tolerated if you can back it up with something like a London Calling in your resume, but throwing a measly  4 TDs all season is like having Ant Music as your signature song  Somebody unplug the Zach box and do us all a favor

2 ******* drum kits. Amazing.  Love the ants 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

Truthfully, as far as the money and looks, some of you have been just pretty obviously jealous of the guy from the start

Yea you jealous cat you, you're mad because he's better looking than you and he has more money than you and he drives a better car than you, and he has better hair than you. I swear sometimes I wish there was an age listed next to each poster's names so we could put things in a better perspective, because the You're just jealous is an argument that we might have made on the school bus from Garwood to Kenilworth back in 1970 when one side was Jets fans the other, Giants fans, then in baseball season it was one side of the bus was all Mets fans and the other side us sad Yankee fans with our "Oh yea...well we won 21 pennants, how many have YOU won?" You're just jealous!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Who would you have preferred to draft? Everyone and there mother thought Zach would be a nfl quarterback, 

I see the “nobody could have seen this coming” argument has been dusted off…

?

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22378730/hype-and-slander-narratives-and-labels-the-media-driven-in-anity-of

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry, just don't buy it.  Go back to last pre-season even....literally before the kid took an NFL snap and he was being absolutely lambasted for throwing INT's in practice.  It was insane what this kid had to deal with.

Look I'm not making excuses for him at this point - He's done here - that ship has sailed, but if I were a young QB it would be insane to agree to come to the Jets and no agent should ever allow a top 10 QB prospect to come to the NY Jets.

Question.. were you at the preseason practices and fans were yelling and heckling at him directly?

Was there a banner flown I missed? A game where he was booed out of the stadium even? The media has been pretty fair to him up until now, considering his play on the field.

Are you talking about here on JN? How exactly did Zach have to “deal” with that?

1 minute ago, SoFlaJets said:

Yea you jealous cat you, you're mad because he's better looking than you and he has more money than you and he drives a better car than you, and he has better hair than you. I swear sometimes I wish there was an age listed next to each poster's names so we could put things in a better perspective, because the You're just jealous is an argument that we might have made on the school bus from Garwood to Kenilworth back in 1970 when one side was Jets fans the other, Giants fans, then in baseball season it was one side of the bus was all Mets fans and the other side us sad Yankee fans with our "Oh yea...well we won 21 pennants, how many have YOU won?" You're just jealous!

Otherwise, the ridiculous allusions to looks and wealth wouldn’t be brought up, but they constantly are, so it matters to some of you. You can’t get past it. Mike White … working class hero. Bring him on, I guess. 

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Folks gotta remember his historical numbers are also heavily weighted by the previous GM making a mess around him.

HE's been in a bad spot for a while there. His WR killed people, his coach was fired in shame, his GM was terrible. I think the raiders blow it up, mainly because they can't even afford to fire their coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Cannot stress enough how stupid the scrutiny and reaction was after the first NE game.   A second year qb, playing from behind made a couple of bad throws.  The sky. Is falling the sky is falling; let’s crucify him incessantly. Than you wonder on a super windy game with no running game why he was so cautious.  

And now the scrutiny and criticism is on a totally outwordly level. I saw his upbringing is being brought into question.  What a joke.  Sadly I think he’s done.  It’s a shame; under normal human conditions I think he could have been really good.

can’t wait to see who the next guy we eviscerate is…Go Jets! 

This isn't completely off base.

Even going back to last year, there has been immense pressure on the kid...particularly when playing NE.

Add on the fact that there is a sect of beat writers here in NY that thrive on the "gotcha" moments and are very skilled at poking the bear, whether it is directly in one press conference, or over the course of the year, to get those moments.

I still think a lot of the "no" comment was more frustration with who was asking the question since Hughes has been on this kid's ass from day one.  Does Zach really think that he wasn't the problem on Sunday?  I highly doubt that.

Nevertheless, it's still a huge problem. 

The "franchise" QB of a football team has to be able to handle the pressure of beating a bitter rival.

The "franchise" QB of a football team has to be able to handle negative press.

The "franchise" QB of a football team has to be able to control his emotions, especially after a tough loss.

Zach apparently has none of these qualities.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

HE's been in a bad spot for a while there. His WR killed people, his coach was fired in shame, his GM was terrible. I think the raiders blow it up, mainly because they can't even afford to fire their coach.

Yep. It’s gotta be a consideration for us. He can play, so that part is covered. It’s just about giving him a good surrounding situation, which we can do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

He is also 37th in completion %, 39th, dead last in TDs and TD percent, 33rd in yards per attempt, 22nd in yards per completion and 17th in Int %.  He could not make simple throws to open receivers from a claen pocket on Sunday.  

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Since 2009, there have been 39 QBs who have started at least 20 games in their first two seasons.  After 20 games, Zach ranks 37th in passer rating, ahead of Blaine Gabbert and Geno Smith and behind guys like Brandon Weeden, Blake Bortles and Josh Freeman.

He is also 37th in completion %, 39th, dead last in TDs and TD percent, 33rd in yards per attempt, 22nd in yards per completion and 17th in Int %.  He could not make simple throws to open receivers from a claen pocket on Sunday.  He was just bad, and somehow it is out fault as fans for expecting competent play from the 2nd overall pick.

This seems bad

4 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

You completely and utter missed the point, holly hell, but carry on with your nosnsense

Eli Manning; https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm 2007 23 TDs, 20 INTs, over 3300 +yards passing, 209 yard per game, 60% completion. Also, son of an almost HoFer, brother of perhaps one of the best 2 or 3 guys to ever play NFL QB;played college in the SEC. The Giants' braintrust had a good idea this kid knew what he was doing.His dad and brother were running the biggest QB prep camp in the country.   Ints are a bit high but that was so his entire career. Also, 6'5". 

Zach Wilson: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsZa00.htm 4 TD, 5 INTs, 1200 yards in 7 games, 55% completion, 182 yards per game,  completion %  has been consistently that rate both of his seasons.Listed at 6"2", which must be in these shoesimage.png.bc1779e057112eee8516e4793139efa4.png

In short, by every measure, HORRIBLE. His experience, backgorund and pedigree-insert laughter here. 

In short, these 2 QBs and their seasons as cited by you, and really their entire careers have NOTHING in common but exit 16W. 

"The fan base"; who cares? If Giants fans didn't like him, they weren't burning down the stadium. Manning was Coughlin's QB. Who were they gonna play; the fat kid from Kentucky?  Sometimes we think this board matters. It doesn't. It's entertaining and fun. Nobody is making decisions based on psots here. media guys getting ideas, totally different, and that does happen. 

Derek Carr; not crazy to think that with this defense, a replacement level QB with a decent Breece Hall running game can make noise . Nicke Foles did it. 

Yeah, brah, I missed your point. Because ...there....isn't....one....? 

7 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Cannot stress enough how stupid the scrutiny and reaction was after the first NE game.   A second year qb, playing from behind made a couple of bad throws.  The sky. Is falling the sky is falling; let’s crucify him incessantly. Than you wonder on a super windy game with no running game why he was so cautious.  

And now the scrutiny and criticism is on a totally outwordly level. I saw his upbringing is being brought into question.  What a joke.  Sadly I think he’s done.  It’s a shame; under normal human conditions I think he could have been really good.

New York destroys the weak

• Upvote 1

Completely blown out of proportion though.  What he was trying to do was not show weakness and portray confidence.  What if behind closed doors and said to the team I have to be better….is that ok?  Again I understand that in public people like accountability. But did he throw anyone under the bus?  No.  To me that would be the inexcusable sin.  Not what he said.
it’s kind of like the ghosts comment.  It was a stupid figure of speech that literally haunted and destroyed Sam Darnold.  Cimini literally printed that word every day for two months.  It’s ridiculous. If you think this franchise is snake bitten only because of bad luck or so many bad people, you are crazy.  This franchise gets eaten from the outside first and than from within…on ridiculous levels.

I have no idea if ZW will work out or not, but I hope so for the future of the team. That said, I agree with your take on the comment and to be fair I believe he said “ I have to be better” just prior to Hughes’ question about letting the defense down. He abruptly answered and looked away. I don’t know that it was that big of a deal really. Of course he let the defense down, and the offense, and the CS, and the owner, and the fans and so on…. That’s what he signed up for when he took the job. It’s All on his shoulders whether he likes it or not. Especially in NY and in this day and age. His lousy play, now that’s a big deal. Still hope he wakes up and grows up fast so that he can harness some of his talent.
  • Upvote 1

Yup. Insane but this is what it’s like to be the QB of the Jets. This is probably the worst place in the NFL to play QB. The media will absolutely crush you here. Zach gets chippy with them for a week and now he is a dead man walking. It’s not a coincidence, that’s the way it works.

Yes, Zach has been bad and cost the Jets 2 wins this year - this is not a defense of him. Yes, I would have my son pull an Eli if he was ready to get drafted by the Jets or any other NY franchise.

57 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Look up the career stats between them  besides fields rushing they are not too far apart 

Oh yeah just cut out the rushing stuff.  Even though the majority of QB's in the league run.  A lot.  

You can't cut data out of the equation like that.  Running for 1st downs and TDs helps your team win just as much as passing for a 1st down or TD.

1 hour ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Look up the career stats between them  besides fields rushing they are not too far apart 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh yeah just cut out the rushing stuff.  Even though the majority of QB's in the league run.  A lot.  

You can't cut data out of the equation like that.  Running for 1st downs and TDs helps your team win just as much as passing for a 1st down or TD.

In any case I've been told for years here that the rookie year is a wash, so let's just do a comparison of Fields and Wilson (passing stats only) in the 2022 season, eh?

Completion %

• Fields:  59.6 (30th)
  • Wilson:  55.6 (35th)

TD %

• Fields:  5.7 (6th)
  • Wilson:  2.1 (34th)

INT %

• Fields:  3.5 (34th)
  • Wilson:  2.6 (23rd)  

YPA

• Fields:  7.2 (15th)
  • Wilson:  6.8 (24th)

QB Rating

• Fields:  86.2 (24th)
  • Wilson:  72.6 (34th)

QBR

• Fields:  54.8 (16th)
  • Wilson:  45.1 (26th)

Completed Air Yards per Pass Attempt

• Fields:  3.6 (18th)
  • Wilson:  3.1 (30th)

YAC per Completion

• Fields:  6.0 (29th)
  • Wilson:  6.5 (33rd)

Bad Throw %

• Fields:  21.0 (32nd)
  • Wilson:  23.8 (35th)

On Target %

• Fields:  68.5 (32nd)
  • Wilson:  69.8 (31st)

So Wilson only has Fields beat in 2 categories:  INT % and On Target %.

In every other category, Fields wins.  And in TD %, YPA, QB Rating, QBR, and Completed Air Yards per Pass Attempt, he has him beat by at least 9 ranking spots.

Factor back in Fields' rushing ability, and it really isn't close.  Fields is balling out.

As an old timer who watched Broadway Joe back in 1968 take us to and win us our one and only Super Bowl, I just have to laugh at posts that talk about how tough it is to be a Jets QB today.

If you were a QB back in the 1960’s back when Broadway Joe got his nickname, you faced defensive players who didn’t want to just sack you . . . but literally wanted to hurt you and end your career. It was said about Dick Butkus that “every time he hit you, he tried to put you in the cemetery, not the hospital.” Remember you were actually allowed to chop block back then! Watch any interview from a 1960’s QB who had to face any of these guys and you will know what it really means to have it tough as a QB.

Dick Butkus
Ray Nitschke
Ben Davidson
Ted Hendricks
Deacon Jones
Buck Buchanan
Carl Eller
Alan Page

Bed Davidson of the Oakland Raiders hitting Namath so hard in the head he knocked his helmet off

Having just to play in NY market is not enough to qualify for being a reason why you can’t complete a screen pass, can’t get the ball anywhere close to wide open receivers, or why you get intercepted because you can not throw a ball out of bounds successfully.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Eviscerate? Like, 9 completions and 10 punts. Macc completed 23 of 27. So clearly winds wasn't an issue for him. This sh*t Zach was overthrowing passes at the LOS. And he doesn’t want accountability. So f*ck this dude. 

9 hours ago, undertow said:

The mistake was letting a project QB from BYU start day 1 and learn on the job....in all honesty he probably shouldn't even be on the field yet.   This relatively new phiosophy that every QB taken needs to start right away or be forced on the field is a poor one.   You can't blame NY or fans for a QB playing the position at a all time bad level.... this isn't just bad QB play this is comically bad QB play.

Ummmmmmmmm some of us SAID THIS!!!!!

That is why we wanted Gardner Minshew in as a placeholder for two years so that a YOUNG RAW QB could be developed but again we were told that you MUST start Zach cause, that is what you do!

It is a JOKE!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

My thoughts on Zach:
I haven’t given up on Zach. The big issue is that the Jets unexpectedly got much better this year. It was anticipated that Zach and the Jets would improve gradually. Because of the leap the Jets took, a young QB like Zach is now holding them back because of his struggles. IMO, there is no sugarcoating his poor performance against the Patriots which cost us a very important game. He then compounded his poor performance with a disastrous press conference that turned the team against him. It put Saleh in the position where he had to put a scare into Zach about losing his job. I wouldn’t be surprised if Zach starts Sunday, but he has to take accountability and the Jets do not want him to cost them the playoffs. If he does start he will be in a short leash because the Jets must win this game.

I agree with everything you wrote.  

Here's what I don't understand.  This last loss was a road game so it's not like he heard a bunch of crap from the home fans.  People talk on forums like this one but I'm pretty sure the players are far too busy to read that type of stuff.

So where is the negativity that's supposedly destroying ZW coming from?

Sports radio and TV personalities?  Plenty of those people are cover the NFL on a national level.  And many of those same people were comparing Zach to guys like Mahomes, Rodgers and Marino before he even threw a pass.  Maybe it put too much pressure on him?

What is the theory here? 

I don’t his problems can be corrected this year. If they can even be fixed, it will take an entire offseason.

Either way, I say sit him the rest of the way and sign a legit vet to start next year.

Can’t assume Zack will turn it around because he’s never been good.

Now if we happens to, great and we have a good vet as his backup next year.