One can be a good person yet bad at NFL Football - they are not one in the same

11 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I am tired of the media and fans dumping on a player as an evil, bad, selfish person because they are not a very good player and made a simple mistake at a press conference.  They are and can be mutually exclusive.  Did Zach muff the post game interview - yes.  But Jeeesh he is a very young player and was obviously  was pumping full of emotion after the loss (which to me shows passion to win).

I do not think he is a good player (right now) but I do think he's a decent kid (yes he's a kid to me).

With that being said, I don't think Zach is the answer and not a good fit for NY fans and/or media.  But come on can we stop dumping on him like he's a horrible person. 

He gets paid 35 million for 4 years to be profesional athlete. He is a big boy. He can return the money if he doesnt want to take the heat in the kitchen 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

He gets paid 35 million for 4 years to be profesional athlete. He is a big boy. He can return the money if he doesnt want to take the heat in the kitchen 

He gets paid what the market dictates he gets paid, just like you and I do for what we do.  IMO, the amount of money he (or anyone) makes at your job doesn't mean it's ok for the media to slander character. 

10 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

He gets paid what the market dictates he gets paid, just like you and I do for what we do.  IMO, the amount of money he (or anyone) makes at your job doesn't mean it's ok for the media to slander character. 

Way things are going, he can go back to Utah and count his money;  Vaya con Dios. . Want to be an well-paid NFL QB, this scrutiny is part of it.

As a fan base, have no patience for whiny nonsense. Yes, life isn't fair; tough sh!t. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I am tired of the media and fans dumping on a player as an evil, bad, selfish person because they are not a very good player and made a simple mistake at a press conference.  They are and can be mutually exclusive.  Did Zach muff the post game interview - yes.  But Jeeesh he is a very young player and was obviously  was pumping full of emotion after the loss (which to me shows passion to win).

I do not think he is a good player (right now) but I do think he's a decent kid (yes he's a kid to me).

With that being said, I don't think Zach is the answer and not a good fit for NY fans and/or media.  But come on can we stop dumping on him like he's a horrible person. 

Exhibit B

Nice to see good guy Sam Darnold getting another shot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35086481/panthers-name-sam-darnold-starter-vs-broncos

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Agree 100%.  Everyone acts so offended by his attitude.  I agree it sucks, and I agree that he sucks (even more), but if he didn't suck (the most), most people wouldn't give a sh*t about his attitude. 

• Upvote 1

Zach showed poor character.  He is getting called out on it.  No issue.

The bigger issues,  as a fan, are his lack of production as a QB, lack of accountability, and lack of improvement.  All of which makes him a fair target for harsh fan criticism  - much like every other player that plays like dog sh!t.  

Given Zach's position and draft status, he has been treated with more patience, respect, and support than the typical athlete.  He is being paid more than most NFL athletes that get crapped on by fans, and has been given more chances as a QB. 

Having said all that, current sports culture dehumanizes athletes... it is what it is.  It's is generally accepted fan behavior at this point unfortunately.

Very little sympathy for Zach due to his attitude coupled with no improvement or accountability.  I will continue to root for Zach's success since he is a Jet.  But it's hard to have any hope, and I'm holding my nose while rooting for him.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Was this not part of the narrative at BYU as well? He was not considered a leader, and had shown a lot of those traits? I may be mis-remembering, but I seem to remember there was a birthday and non of his team wanted to attend...?

12 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So, just to be clear, we as a society send men age 18 off to War, to die for our freedoms and national interests, to make life or death decisions on the spot, often risking their own and their mates lives on those decisions.

But a "kid" 4+ years older than those boys defending and dying for us, that "kid" cannot POSSIBLY be expected not to be a selfish prick at a press conference, nor can he be expected to take responsibility for his poor play, despite being a team captain?

I think perhaps you and I define "kid" differently.  A 10 year old is a "kid".  A 22 year old a god damn grown ass man.

P.S.  -- Every time someone says Kid at JN defending a bad QB, we drink.  It's the Zach "Kid" Wilson drinking game (formerly known as the Sam "He's Very Young, Just a Kid" Darnold drinking game).

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Back up dude. Remember Zach saying after his first horrible game vs pats coming off very arrogant with “ no one in the building knows what they are talking about “ he said it again before this game. And by all accounts the players have said he has acted like he isn’t the problem for weeks. So let’s not pretend it was a simple press conference. We have seen him be the worst qb in league for yr and half, and I don’t recall ever hearing him take any responsibility. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So, just to be clear, we as a society send men age 18 off to War, to die for our freedoms and national interests, to make life or death decisions on the spot, often risking their own and their mates lives on those decisions.

But a "kid" 4+ years older than those boys defending and dying for us, that "kid" cannot POSSIBLY be expected not to be a selfish prick at a press conference, nor can he be expected to take responsibility for his poor play, despite being a team captain?

I think perhaps you and I define "kid" differently.  A 10 year old is a "kid".  A 22 year old a god damn grown ass man.

P.S.  -- Every time someone says Kid at JN defending a bad QB, we drink.  It's the Zach "Kid" Wilson drinking game (formerly known as the Sam "He's Very Young, Just a Kid" Darnold drinking game).

18 yr olds sent off to war are men, because they went through a extremely tough boot camp to make them men. Zach Wilson was just given the keys to city without earning it, without getting his ass kicked in a boot camp. He is still a scared kid when he gets the ball.. Maybe he will be a scared man too ha. Let’s hope not.. 

I don't know if Zach Wilson is a 'good' person or not, but the way he acts in the public and the hints the players give about him suggest his attitude is not something to be desired. 

I bashed people for comparing him to Josh Rosen, because he sucked on and off the field, but now I'm starting to wonder if they were right.