How the hell is Saleh getting a free pass for this?

The buck stops with Saleh, period.

This guy sees everything going on, knows the game plan, watches everything. If everything was ZW's fault, which everyone here is convinced of, to the point where we basically were hoping to play for a tie becuase ZW was so bad, how the hell does he not make a switch at QB in the most important game of the year??

How does Saleh get a pass for that?

How do we punt in bounds and allow a punt return for a TD with seconds left on the clock?

I get its easier to put the sole blame on the 22 year old QB, but damn, as bad as ZW was, and he was awful, how the hell does Saleh get a pass for this debacle??

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Post of the Week 4
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Benching Zach is a decision that occurs above the pay grade of the HC it's that simple. Saleh cannot bench Zach it is a JD or even a Woodrow decision. 

Then it’s Saleh who has been “neutered” 

If that’s the case, Joe Douglas needs to check his ego and let Saleh do his job 

3 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

the only viable backup he has was inactive.

If Flacco is not active this week then I will have a problem. There is absolutely no reason career CFL backup guy needs to be active.

Strev can’t catch a break here. Balled out every time he was on the field. Generated more excitement than anyone, but all you hear is “playing against future shelf-stockers at Hinky Dinky” etc. All I know is, dude can run and his passes were on the money. And he isn’t pretty or rich, which checks a lot of your boxes in here. Play him.  

• Upvote 2

Saleh hasn’t gotten a pass. He’s done a good job and literally told reporters everything is on the table. He’s not a micro manager, but, right now, he will be micro managing the offense.

Just because it hasnt worked out doesnt mean he hasn't made good decisions. He’s been right to defend Zach and, it’s a good idea to let the offensive coaches coach. It hasn’t worked out and he is adjusting accordingly.

Now if he sticks with Zach and he continues to bomb, Saleh will be scrutinized further. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's not that uncommon for qb1 to be a franchise level decision. Unless you're like Andy Reid or BB most HC can't bench the highly drafted qb on their own 

If it was up to Saleh, they would have never started Zach in the first place. Who wants to waste their career developing a rookie? 

5 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

Strev can’t catch a break here. Balled out every time he was on the field. Generated more excitement than anyone, but all you hear is “playing against future shelf-stockers at Hinky Dinky” etc. All I know is, dude can run and his passes were on the money. And he isn’t pretty or rich, which checks a lot of your boxes in here. Play him.  

I don't understand it either. You must be a top flight prospect to be a successful nfl qb even for a game or two.

I mean it is equivalent to dreaming that a journey QB who actually ended up working in a supermarket to make ends meet wins a super bowl and goes into the hall of fame.

Guess I saw that in a hallmark movie.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

In the press conference seem to me that the decision will come down to Saleh with input from the rest of the coaches and Joe Douglas. 

37 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This guy sees everything going on, knows the game plan, watches everything. If everything was ZW's fault, which everyone here is convinced of, to the point where we basically were hoping to play for a tie becuase ZW was so bad, how the hell does he not make a switch at QB in the most important game of the year??

How do we punt in bounds and allow a punt return for a TD with seconds left on the clock?

I get its easier to put the sole blame on the 22 year old QB, but damn, as bad as ZW was, and he was awful, how the hell does Saleh get a pass for this debacle??

I couldn't  understand why Zach was still out there either by mid 3rd qrt. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This narrative that White was bad in preseason seems kind of farfetched.  65% 2TD 0INT and 358 yards.  How much did he play?  A game and a half?  If so, that would be 240 ypg.  You'd be screaming that we weren't going to be able to afford Wilson's next deal if he put up those numbers.

They should play him. Definitely before Flacco. If nothing else than to calm the relentless rage of the McQuite faction.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saleh doesn't get a pass, but the only decision to be made is benching Wilson.  There's no fixing him.  

I don't understand why we never go into a season with any reasonable plan B's at QB but that's a problem for another day, and one I expect to be fixed this offseason.

If Saleh starts Zach against Chicago, there are going to be a lot of hostile fans at the stadium.  He might actually get booed coming onto the field. It's  not easy to get Jet fans to hate one of their players, but Zach may have accomplished  just that. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This

But when you hire an inexperienced HC with an inexperienced OC, DC AND and then throw in inexperienced QB, you must accept the growing pains.

Still, big picture wise, we're ascending!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Benching Zach is a decision that occurs above the pay grade of the HC it's that simple. Saleh cannot bench Zach it is a JD or even a Woodrow decision. 

This is absolutely the case, and most likely why Saleh was late to the press conference by an hour.  I'd bet there was some serious pleading to be able to bench Zac.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Not true. It very often takes an unplanned three hour meeting for a coach to unilaterally decide to bench the statistically worst QB in football. 

I assume what happened there is that Saleh and Douglas were sitting in Saleh's office for 2 hours trying to get Woody on the phone (who would need to clear a decision like this), and Woody was at lunch at Mar-a-Lago.

• Haha 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Not true. It very often takes an unplanned three hour meeting for a coach to unilaterally decide to bench the statistically worst QB in football. 

Haha and yet They did not bench anyone. This was a verbal warning. 

Zach is going to get about 20 more starts is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All jokes aside, Saleh has the right to make the call with JD's blessing. They will use the " team decision" approach for PR sakes.

I don't think the Johnsons are involved. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Real simple questions for you, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

How many times has Zach played lousy and yet the Jets still won?

How many times has Zach played lights out and the Jets still lost?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I couldn't  understand why Zach was still out there either by mid 3rd qrt. 

Saleh backs his players. Look how he handled the Mims and Moore situation.

If he benches Zach, Saleh won’t dog him. He believes in him. And he believes in developing young players. He talked a lot about this last year. But like Moore, doesn't mean guys wont get benched. 

48 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Sometimes the coaches tell the players what to do and the players don't do it.  Braden Mann is an NFL punter.  He was told to punt it toward the sideline/out of bounds.  He didn't.  It cost them the game.

When the OC goes over the offense with the quarterback, I'm assuming he explains that the plan is to throw the ball in a spot where the wide open receivers can catch it.  The quarterback failed to do that many times over. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I agree, and while I would be guessing, I believe that meeting yesterday was about how they are going to handle the Zach situation. I'm sure JD expressed there is no going back if Saleh benches Zach. That if Saleh does this, there will be skin in the game. Not seeing a marketable improvement in the offense or a playoff appearance could cost someone their job, and possibly their career. Saleh should be safe. MiLF and/or Calabrese probably not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I agree, and while I would be guessing, I believe that meeting yesterday was about how they are going to handle the Zach situation. I'm sure JD expressed there is no going back if Saleh benches Zach. That if Saleh does this, there will be skin in the game. Not seeing a marketable improvement in the offense or a playoff appearance could cost someone their job, and possibly their career. Saleh should be safe. MiLF and/or Calabrese probably not.

I agree with this take but also wonder why Zach can't handle being benched. He's such a delicate person? Then he shouldn't be starting at all 

• Upvote 1