Bryce Huff becoming elite? (A pause from Zach threads)

He’s playing his tail off, and will deservedly be looking for a nice new contract somewhere.

The core D-line is mostly under contract next year, but it will be interesting to see which role players they keep (Huff, Rankins, Curry, Thomas, Shepherd) and if they extended Quinnen.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It is things like this that worry me about Saleh and Ulbrich.

I mean they had this kid inactive for the first few weeks.  What did they see that they decided this guy should't even be active?

Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the lights to come on, it could very well be that during practices he was not showing this type of ability consistently and instead of throwing him out there they waited and developed him further until he was ready to take on the challenge that was presented to him as a 3rd down rusher.  

This happens all the time, everyone thinks these guys come out of nowhere, its just a product of your practice habits, sometimes guys dont show enough to get playing time.  There are other guys on the roster, and in some instances they show more effort and better plays in practice than guys that end up being better players.  Doesnt mean the coach was wrong, just means it took some time for that guy to step up and show what he was capable of. 

Edit: Also, generally the depth chart by position is heavily influenced by the position coaches opinions.  Whitecotton would have had him lower on his depth chart and been a big factor in the decision to be inactive. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean they had this kid inactive for the first few weeks.  What did they see that they decided this guy should't even be active?

They had to get rid of that other dude first whom they signed this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m more encouraged that they got him to play at such an elite level as opposed to what happened early in the season. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the lights to come on, it could very well be that during practices he was not showing this type of ability consistently and instead of throwing him out there they waited and developed him further until he was ready to take on the challenge that was presented to him as a 3rd down rusher.  

i agree.

just like with Mims last year. everyone killed them for not playing him and when he did play he was taking bad LOS penalties and drop passes. but now he is not as good as Huff but he looks better than he was. sometimes it takes a while.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This happens all the time, everyone thinks these guys come out of nowhere, its just a product of your practice habits, sometimes guys dont show enough to get playing time.  There are other guys on the roster, and in some instances they show more effort and better plays in practice than guys that end up being better players.  Doesnt mean the coach was wrong, just means it took some time for that guy to step up and show what he was capable of. 

Edit: Also, generally the depth chart by position is heavily influenced by the position coaches opinions.  Whitecotton would have had him lower on his depth chart and been a big factor in the decision to be inactive. 

He was playing at this level last year before he got hurt.  He shouldn't have come out of nowhere.

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Jet fans can spin every single thing into a negative.

it's comical

It's not a negative just an observation.  I'm a big Saleh fan always have been.  These guys aren't going to be perfect.  

It's okay to question something - I mean that's why we're here.  

I know me and others here were shocked he wasn't on the active roster here - He was the best pass rusher on the team before he got hurt last year.

I questioned the thought process then and will still question it now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Elite would be playing all the time.

He does one thing, and he does it extremely well.

He does one thing, and he does it at what’s becoming an elite level.  No different than an elite kicker who is one of the best at his skill.

Doesn’t  mean he is as valuable as an elite full time player or should make the same money, just means he is becoming top 10-15% or so at pressuring AND now getting to the quarterback on third downs.  He is becoming disruptive..

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

They also faced Baltimore, Cleveland, and the Bengals who all can be run-heavy to different degrees coming on the heels of a season where they were awful at it. They probably just prioritized run defenders first and only realized later on that the run defense in totality is strong enough to carry Huff for his elite pass-rushing skillset.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Elite would be playing all the time.

He does one thing, and he does it extremely well.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.

If he was on the field every down the offense would rush at him every play. 

Elite at one thing (an important thing we haven't had since 2005 at that) is very, very useful from a UDFA.  

Better to be elite at one important thing than pretty good at stuff that doesn't move the needle while getting massively overpaid in the process.  @Jamal Adams

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He was playing at this level last year before he got hurt.  He shouldn't have come out of nowhere.

Yea but significant talent was added to the position as well this offseason.  In particular Jacob Martin who was essentially a more NFL proven version of huff at the time.  I think much of Huffs continued emergence during practice is what led to them ultimately dealing Martin to open the door for more playing time for Huff.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yea, there was no development for Huff, he played well enough in 2021 to not be a healthy inactive, it was an inexplicable decision at the time and is even more crazy now.

The bigger issue is what do you pay a player like huff.  If he is a RFA, that really helps us get at least another season out of him, but as good of a pass rusher as he is, I would imagine its tough to have the team and the player on the same page $$$ wise if he only plays 10-12 snaps per game (even if those are at an elite level).

We paid Jacob Martin around $4 per year for 3 years to fill a similar role, but he was 27 at the time with 8 career sacks.  Huff is only 24 with similar sack numbers.  Personally he is really valuable in his role and if he was willing to do 3 year and $14-15 million I would sign up for that any day and use the money from Rankins/Solomon Thomas towards Huff and then draft a DT (or hope that Tanzel Smart can contribute)