Jump to content

No one thinks ZW is getting benched


PorP

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You are probably correct…and I would’ve agreed with you. But that post-game press response still sticks in my craw, and I bet it does to Saleh too. Saleh’s all about team and that could be a deciding factor …but I have no idea what may transpire inside 1 Jets Drive this week. Maybe Zach offers a mea culpa. Who knows. 

Saleh works for JD. If Zach fails jd gets fired and the new gm will want his own coach. 

They need this Zach thing to work, all of them. The other option is to find a Kurt Warner somewhere miracle. Most direct way everyone keeps their job is ride Zach forever and hope he simply gets better 

Zach is right to be cocky he's the Immovable object. 

This has been the plan since Zach was drafted and they do not have any alternatives. Or maybe they do in white or Streveler but they lack the stones to make that move 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Cimini said today on his pod that his original belief was that Zach wouldn’t get benched, but information he’s gained since then leads him to believe it’s very possible. According to Rich, Zach’s “attitude” has been an issue inside the building for multiple weeks now. 

A Zach/Elijah cage match would be spicy...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just listened to the Move the Sticks podcast to get a scouts perspective.

Cliff Notes on Zach Wilson

DJ:

1) 1st Half Grade was a B. 2nd Half Grade was an F

2) Zach played hesitant. He questioned the influence of Zach likely being told to protect the ball. A QB can’t play hesitant. I read this part more of a knock on the coaching staff handcuffing Zach.

3) Bashed his post game response on accountability

4) Would not bench him after this game because it’s BB. If he plays bad against the Bears, fine.

 

Bucky:

- He didn’t add much as DJ was leading the conversation. But he did emphasis the issue of him not taking responsibility and questioned his leadership. This came after DJ said he would not bench him. Read into that what you want

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saleh works for JD. If Zach fails jd gets fired and the new gm will want his own coach. 

 

This has been the plan since Zach was drafted and they do not have any alternatives. Or maybe they do in white or Streveler but they lack the stones to make that move 

With all the other successful moves and DPs JD has made if Woody fires JD for the ZW ‘miss’ that would be the most Jetsiest thing ever.   I would wager JD has more political capital than that.  
 

there may not be any good alternatives now, but at least Saleh can sell to the vets on the team that Flacco has been here before and has playoff experience to boot. White is another stab in the dark, just like a new DP. 
 

Young Small town kid from a small college program expected to come in and light it up in NY right away…what could possibly go wrong?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

White kinda sucks.  No sense starting him.

Flacco could be good if he had an all pro oline in front of him.  Sooo....  nope.

It's Strev or Zach.

Have no idea where you're coming from!!!

Mike White sucks worse than what we're starting???

Or Flacco???

Would highly recommend you look at the stats and let facts rule instead of emotion. 

Edit.... let me add. The whopping 4 games MW was able to establish those stats.... who was he playing with??? Our QB is so fricken bad... we literally have nothing to lose.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's going to start for sure.  But this is Saleh putting him on notice.  No more kid gloves and if you continue to play like trash, we're going to let you watch from the sidelines for a little bit.  It's a big step in the right direction.  First time Zach is going to have to perform to keep his job.  Tip of the cap to Saleh.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vader said:

benching him isn't walking away. the all-or-nothing take is the fallacy.

ZW clearly needs to be coached as he's still a project. He was raw coming out and he's still raw esp with the injuries to him and the entire Offense. But if done right you keep him around until he develops into the guy that can come in off the bench, this year, next year, the year after...

the concept of sunk cost (and any competitive window) for all phases of the game -- O, D, ST, CS -- versus just for ZW is the reason the organization right now is thinking of putting the brakes on the ZW experiment.

There's too much invested and too much success over the entire team to justify any sunk-cost Zach Wilson homerism from the front office. 

Exactly right - just wish we had a vet like Fitzpatrick to come in while we sit Zach the rest of the year.  Until this season Tua was dead man walking - until the light came on.  The league is paying the price of starting QBs in their rookie season - it eats QBs who could and should develop (See Smith, Geno).  Instead we break them and toss them aside and only a few make it through a trial by fire.  THAT is why QB play sucks across the league, and why guys like Taylor Heineke can be successful.  Anyone think Chad would have lit it up his rookie season?  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PorP said:

Have no idea where you're coming from!!!

Mike White sucks worse than what we're starting???

Or Flacco???

Would highly recommend you look at the stats and let facts rule instead of emotion. 

Flacco sucks the most.  He's a statue and can't play without a red shirt on.  Doesn't matter if he can read the D and throw better.

Zach, White or Strev with their arms cut off and a basket on their chest to catch snaps would be better than Flacco.

There's 0 chance of any future with White, so starting him is a waste. Plus we saw him last year, and yeah, he sucked.

Strev would be fun.  Maybe even good enough to keep around for a while as the "change of pace" QB.

Zach?  Yup, he's a little brat.  In way over his head.  Horrible footwork n accuracy.  But mobile and gets wins vs non-Belichick defenses.

I'd likely start Zach, if he can't throw a pass to the flat, bench him for Strev.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, PorP said:

Come on man,  not even you can believe what you wrote there...

JD and Saleh are super safe so long as they correct offense. 

D is elite,  ST is great and that all happened under JD and Saleh. They are good for the next year or 2 based on that alone. 

Now they need to fix the offense and ZW is a major problem... maybe the entire problem save injury. 

Do you really think JD or Saleh care about the name of thier QB? Do you think JD cares if ZW busts? 

From what I have seen NO! They care about winning... because they want to win... because they know winning is job security... because they know fans only care about the names helping win. 

The best defender QW is a Mac pick. The special teams are kind of suspicious they just lost a game on a punt return. Braden Mann another waste of draft pick. 

Joe Douglas has some hits and many misses (Becton). his very job comes down to the Zach pick. 

We are kissing their rings right now but this is a 6 win team in free fall. The coaches have been hiding Zach. If they finish below . 500 ownership won't be happy. And if they need to replace Zach with another high pick what has jd really done to earn that? 

Being able to pick luxury players like sauce is not the same skill as being able to scout qbs 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The best defender QW is a Mac pick. The special teams are kind of suspicious they just lost a game on a punt return. Braden Mann another waste of draft pick. 

Joe Douglas has some hits and many misses (Becton). his very job comes down to the Zach pick. 

We are kissing their rings right now but this is a 6 win team in free fall. The coaches have been hiding Zach. If they finish below . 500 ownership won't be happy. And if they need to replace Zach with another high pick what has jd really done to earn that? 

Being able to pick luxury players like sauce is not the same skill as being able to scout qbs 

Becton isn't a true miss yet (although, he probably is). Special teams has been solid aside from that fluke play (can argue the refs also missed an illegal block in the back).  

Overall, JD deserves another crack at a QB. He's built this roster up to the point where nobody would condemn him for the Wilson pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

With all the other successful moves and DPs JD has made if Woody fires JD for the ZW ‘miss’ that would be the most Jetsiest thing ever.   I would wager JD has more political capital than that.  
 

there may not be any good alternatives now, but at least Saleh can sell to the vets on the team that Flacco has been here before and has playoff experience to boot. White is another stab in the dark, just like a new DP. 
 

Young Small town kid from a small college program expected to come in and light it up in NY right away…what could possibly go wrong?

 

Joe Douglas is in year 4 of his 6 year deal. 2 more to go and most general managers don't exist on 1 year lame duck deals.

The question isn't really will woody fire him but will woody extend him? If year 6 rolls around and the Jets are picking high again and Zach is a bust there's a very real chance woody lets someone else make that draft pick. Other than Zach being good, the only scenario that jd earns an extension is if he finds a franchise qb somewhere else before year 6 ends 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Overall, JD deserves another crack at a QB. He's built this roster up to the point where nobody would condemn him for the Wilson pick. 

I'm not sure the roster is all that sweet. They are playing over their heads. His best picks like avt and hall are hurt. Again they are 6-4 if that turns into 7-10 no one is going to say what a good genius jd is 

It all comes down to Zach. Joe Douglas pushed all in with Wilson they live and die in this town together 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The best defender QW is a Mac pick. The special teams are kind of suspicious they just lost a game on a punt return. Braden Mann another waste of draft pick. 

Joe Douglas has some hits and many misses (Becton). his very job comes down to the Zach pick. 

We are kissing their rings right now but this is a 6 win team in free fall. The coaches have been hiding Zach. If they finish below . 500 ownership won't be happy. And if they need to replace Zach with another high pick what has jd really done to earn that? 

Being able to pick luxury players like sauce is not the same skill as being able to scout qbs 

Disagree on ST, 1 play doesn't define you.  

I think you judge Becton to early,  I think their are circumstances there that we should honor. 

I would say rookie sauce, dj, mc2, Hall, gw, avt, Clemons,  Mitchell,  Conklin,  mc, Whitehead,  Lawson,  jfm, brown,  herby,  and so on all have something to say about JD's abilities

They are in no danger because of ZW lol

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Zach will absolutely start. Monday was a warning shot. The Jets are pretty well favored on Sunday - if Zach stinks against the 30th ranked defense 3-8 Bears, he will get yanked.

I highly doubt that will happen. The Jets will win handily and then we can revisit the topic during the Vikings game, which is a much more likely place to get sat at halftime.

Hope your right. We best beat the bad bears. Wilson better not act like he just won the Super Bowl if he does not F-up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

Disagree on ST, 1 play doesn't define you.  

I think you judge Becton to early,  I think their are circumstances there that we should honor. 

I would say rookie sauce, dj, mc2, Hall, gw, avt, Clemons,  Mitchell,  Conklin,  mc, Whitehead,  Lawson,  jfm, brown,  herby,  and so on all have something to say about JD's abilities

They are in no danger because of ZW lol

When a general manager drafts a punter that dude needs to be excellent. Mann has been average to poor from the start.

Half those guys on the list are overrated. Carl Lawson for example missed a year. Herbig is a jag. Max Mitchell we are not really sure is a starter (and hurt). Breece hall is a stud who got hurt. Alot of jd picks and signings get hurt in fact. Zach wilson included. When Zach isn't sucking he's hurt 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Flacco sucks the most.  He's a statue and can't play without a red shirt on.  Doesn't matter if he can read the D and throw better.

Zach, White or Strev with their arms cut off and a basket on their chest to catch snaps would be better than Flacco.

There's 0 chance of any future with White, so starting him is a waste. Plus we saw him last year, and yeah, he sucked.

Strev would be fun.  Maybe even good enough to keep around for a while as the "change of pace" QB.

Zach?  Yup, he's a little brat.  In way over his head.  Horrible footwork n accuracy.  But mobile and gets wins vs non-Belichick defenses.

I'd likely start Zach, if he can't throw a pass to the flat, bench him for Strev.

Look at the stats,  you replied with emotion rather than fact.....

Here are a few facts....  MW with 1/2 the team we have right now was throwing 250ypg, 67% completion,  7.2 yards  per attempt and over 75 rating...

Maybe look at how that compares to the league this year....  and what we are actually starting. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...