This team handled Zach Wilson wrong

ZachStepdad

48 minutes ago, ZachStepdad said:

I support whoever puts on our jersey and plays for us thru the good and bad…. Supported Sanchez , geno , darnold even though it ended with them eventually leaving …. I’m going to support zach and believe he can turn it around. I believe what truly screwed him is playing and learning on the job in todays nfl … mahomes sat 15 games straight his first year , Rodgers sat few years. We sent Zach to war he doesn’t know what to do but he for sure can do the job we seen some glimpses. I’m gonna support even though he’s trash atm. The best for this team is him being the guy we need him to be

Honestly,  I am tired of people saying Zach was ruined because he didn't  sit like Mahomes and Rogers. We didn't  have Alex Smith here and we certainly didn't  have Brett Favre for Zach to learn from. If Zach washes out and we draft another QB, he will also start in his first season. It is how it is here. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets set Zach up with a playoff team around him. Darnold excuses held some weight, but Zach has absolutely zero excuses. He has been set up for success and thus far, been the reason for 2 of the Jets 4 losses after 10 games 

Let me introduce you to our current OL

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly,  I am tired of people saying Zach was ruined because he didn't  sit like Mahomes and Rogers. We didn't  have Alex Smith here and we certainly didn't  have Brett Favre for Zach to learn from. If Zach washes out and we draft another QB, he will also start in his first season. It is how it is here. 

... and so my dear friends ... when all is said and done ... this sad dark tale of doom continues ... as it always has ... and always will .. for what is bound to fate cannot be altered ... and as such ... do not expect to capture the Unicorn, for it will evade the most ardent  hunter ... the hunter in us all.  ... keep calm and carry on.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, ZachStepdad said:

I support whoever puts on our jersey and plays for us thru the good and bad…. Supported Sanchez , geno , darnold even though it ended with them eventually leaving …. I’m going to support zach and believe he can turn it around. I believe what truly screwed him is playing and learning on the job in todays nfl … mahomes sat 15 games straight his first year , Rodgers sat few years. We sent Zach to war he doesn’t know what to do but he for sure can do the job we seen some glimpses. I’m gonna support even though he’s trash atm. The best for this team is him being the guy we need him to be

This is absolutely true, but I also think Team Wilson wanted him to start from Day One. Saleh effectively locked him in to the starting job at his Pro Day, so whatever deals were made at that point ended up screwing everybody.

• Upvote 3

Bullsh*t.  I think Zach has a problem with the speed of the game even after 20 games played.  How is he ever going to get acclimated sitting on the bench?  

The whole notion of you need to sit I think is overrated.  You learn more and should develop more by playing and learning on the job.  

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

... and so my dear friends ... when all is said and done ... this sad dark tale of doom continues ... as it always has ... and always will .. for what is bound to fate cannot be altered ... and as such ... do not expect to capture the Unicorn, for it will evade the most ardent  hunter ... the hunter in us all.  ... keep calm and carry on.

Sorry, I'm in no mood to read poetic responses to the reality that most teams figure out how to handle but the Jets simply can't  or it appears they because we draft bad QBs

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry, I'm in no mood to read poetic responses to the reality that most teams figure out how to handle but the Jets simply can't  or it appears they because we draft bad QBs

I think the former though ..really ... the team just does not know how to bring along QBs ... period.  They could strike gold with an Elway or a Marino .... and they would screw the kid up.

Edited by Dunnie

22 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Pennington sat and he succeeded. The one's who were handed starting jobs did not succeed. Although Sanchez had success while surrounded by a great O line with a great run game and WRs in his first 2 seasons, once he lost them, he was toast because he was not prepared to carry a team. The other 2 flat out failed with the Jets.

Completely valid observation. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Pennington sat and he succeeded. The one's who were handed starting jobs did not succeed. Although Sanchez had success while surrounded by a great O line with a great run game and WRs in his first 2 seasons, once he lost them, he was toast because he was not prepared to carry a team. The other 2 flat out failed with the Jets.

Sitting for a while isn't what teaches you how to throw the ball near your receivers

• Upvote 1

Not saying Mills will be or won't be good, but he should have been the pick in the 3rd round. We weren't ready just yet for Zach to start at the beginning of his 1st season. JD should have thought this out just a bit better. He also should have brought someone in other than Flacco to compete for the job. So in hindsight, he should have never taken Zach with the 2nd pick. He could have traded down for a few more draft picks that could have turned out much better than Zach has progressed. He scored 100 on the 2022 draft, and I think he got a 80 on 2021, but that could have also been 100 if he had traded down.

3 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

He shouldve sat last year with a bum roster and no QB coach

the Jets are a CIRCUS

Sat for what?  For who?  Why is he such a bitch that he can't play and try to grow?  They had a QB coach.  Calabrese was there all year.  They lost Knapp but added Cavanaugh who was a QB coach.  Later they added Beck his personal QB guru.  We are blaming him sucking in 2022 on 2021?  He is under contract for 4 years with an option if he doesn't suck.  You want to sit him at least a quarter of that time because? 

It isn't the Jets job to maximize Zach Wilson's career.  It's the Jets job to get the most out of Zach Wilson that they can for their investment.  The two things are not identical.

Also, this "CIRCUS" is 6-4 and that is after being decimated with injuries on the Oline, losing the presumptive rookie of the year, and with QB play that has been an abomination.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ZachStepdad said:

I am 100% on most rookie QBs sitting a year.   The pro game is a whole different level than college.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sat for what?  For who?  Why is he such a bitch that he can't play and try to grow?  They had a QB coach.  Calabrese was there all year.  They lost Knapp but added Cavanaugh who was a QB coach.  Later they added Beck his personal QB guru.  We are blaming him sucking in 2022 on 2021?  He is under contract for 4 years with an option if he doesn't suck.  You want to sit him at least a quarter of that time because? 

It isn't the Jets job to maximize Zach Wilson's career.  It's the Jets job to get the most out of Zach Wilson that they can for their investment.  The two things are not identical.

Yes, and crushing a 21 year old QB isn't getting the most out of him, it's wasting a huge amount of draft capital.

Didn't the 49ers offer some huge deal to come up and get him?  If you aren't taking that, you have to protect the young QB