Schefter: Zach Not Starting Sunday, White to Start

JetsFanatic

In a curious move, Jets promoted Mike White to BU just before Zack's first disastrous outing against NE. No one thought much of it at the time, but it makes more sense now. Perhaps Saleh saw this coming and wanted to be prepared. And he wanted Mike White to take the reins, if and when a move was necessary.

By promoting MW on Oct 30, it started giving him first team reps and more exposure to game plans, that sort of thing. Plus it moved Mike to the sidelines during the games, head set and all. Kind of grooming him for the inevitable. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

Yeah, but Zach wasn't benched for throwing INTs. He was benched for his incompletions and missed opportunities, a total deterioration in passing game basics. The original commentary I am responding to was "but Mike White is an INT machine."

So as I said throwing a couple INTs is not abnormal for an NFL QB. What is abnormal is constantly bouncing and sailing the ball on layups, and those incompletions are what lost the game. 

Vader-go watch the video I just posted Mike White threw two INTs in that Highlight reel, both of them came off the hands and arms of Jets receivers and straight into the arms of the Bengals defenders. The exact opposite of the lucky breaks Wilson got when McCourty dropped an INT that he wouldn't drop again for the rest of his career

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Remember when 80 percent of the fanbase thought Zach was having an awesome season two weeks ago?  Those were good times.

it wasn't even close to 80%. You're making up numbers.  In this forum alone the majority of posts were not saying anything of the sort about Zach.

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Vader-go watch the video I just posted Mike White threw two INTs in that Highlight reel, both of them came off the hands and arms of Jets receivers and straight into the arms of the Bengals defenders. The exact opposite of the lucky breaks Wilson got when McCourty dropped an INT that he wouldn't drop again for the rest of his career

Both of these QBs White and Wilson are INT prone. The point I am making is that Wilson wasn't benched for throwing INTs. He was benched for being a terrible, inaccurate QB that can not complete passes to wide open receivers. INTs can be forgivable (esp with this defense). Completely sh*tting the bed, being unable to complete easy passes that a HS QB can complete is not forgivable. 

• Upvote 2

Thank god.  Its the absolutely right thing to do.  Put the kid on ice till next June and see if instead of jetsetting and milf banging he decides to spend his time working on his footwork.

He will still be given another year to prove himself.

Incidentally might be time to for him fire John beck.

• Haha 1

Some thoughts, many repeats:

• My impression is that the organization did not want to write a big QB check with this roster.  I think that was smart.  They concluded that Zach was the best bet.  I think Mac Jones was.   My understanding is that JD and Woody liked Zach Wilson-Woody said it in the draft room ("I feel like I know Zach better than my own children"-nice comment Dad!).   I heard that Saleh was not as positive on Zach.  I don't think the 49ers were taking Zach if he was there.   So my guess is that Saleh does not wear too much blame for drafting Zach Wilson.
  • JD is learning as he is going.  He needs to pay attention more to what is between the ears as opposed to the run, jump and shuttle.  Becton and Zach are looking at huge squandered opportunities.  The Darron Lee was understandable because there were not many other players there that looked good.  The Jets passed over fantastic players by taking Becton and Wilson.  But JD generally gets a pass because he is learning and this roster is very good now.
  • No one can tell me that the Jets have coached Zach Wilson enough in both quantity and quality.  I don't know what Zach did in the off season other than MILF.  He is not getting better enough fast enough-I think its a team effort.  But if this was a difficult decision, his attitude and press conferences were his death knell.  
  • Mike White can make himself alot of money, and give himself a great opportunity, with a strong showing.  That is the right thing for MW and for the Jets, as it could get the Jets a great comp pick.  It will be hard, but not impossible, to extent White or franchise him.  See next point.
  • The Jets also did not think this roster was good enough to sign a real backup QB, although they do pay Flacco and White combined too much money.   The Jets own ZW in 2023.  Maybe they can trade him in 2024 to save a little cash for a modest dead money cap hit.  Tua did turn it around.  Maybe Zach does.   The Jets have to approach 2023 looking for real QB competition.  I think with the other players on the roster trying for a Jimmy G or Carr is the best bet.  They will need to find a way to push out cap hit to be able to carry Zach as well.  I think ultimately this makes it impossible to keep decent players who help the team but who are overpaid-Corey D, Fant, maybe Tomlinson, Rankins, Lawson, Joyner, others.  
  • I don't know what Jamar Chase or Kyle Pitts was getting you with Sam Darnold throwing.  I do like Darnold's attitude and demeanor more than Zach's.  Many GMs will not pick players from priviledged backgrounds.  This is why. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

MW is notoriously fragile, odds say Zach will see the field again, even IF MW plays well Sunday.

I don't know, this is an odd move to do for a home game. The textbook way to do this is probably give him one more chance against Chicago, especially with Fields day to day and Chicago's defense being so bad, then if he falls again you can handle something like this during a road game when the media and fan nonsense will be diminished. Then if White or the other guy bombs you can come back home and focus on moving on. Hard thing to just throw Wilson back out there given the schedule and stakes. This is probably a week too early but with the history that the Jets have of sticking to their guns with struggling QB's it's probably better to act earlier than later at this point. Jets have a solid core to work with the next 2-3 years and need to know what they have going into the offseason.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Good move to shut up everyone.  Now they just need the O to look close to competent and win a couple of games.  

The defense has been downright dominant in its last few games. If Mike White leads a league average offense this is a playoff team. 

51 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Zach;s reaction to the news shows me he's a lost cause. Why Me?????????

That just flame from Connor Hughes taking Saleh's comments to the extreme.  Highly unprofessional.  Hughes is the most unprofessional Jets reporter since a guy named Mehta. Jets should ban him from facility.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^This.  It's like they have done nothing to improve his pop warner footwork and now they will start to work on it?  Makes no sense.

He has a personal coach qb coach too. What did he do all of this previous offseason?? Is he not fixable???

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know, this is an odd move to do for a home game. The textbook way to do this is probably give him one more chance against Chicago, especially with Fields day to day and Chicago's defense being so bad, then if he falls again you can handle something like this during a road game when the media and fan nonsense will be diminished. Then if White or the other guy bombs you can come back home and focus on moving on. Hard thing to just throw Wilson back out there given the schedule and stakes. This is probably a week too early but with the history that the Jets have of sticking to their guns with struggling QB's it's probably better to act earlier than later at this point. Jets have a solid core to work with the next 2-3 years and need to know what they have going into the offseason.

Ithe locker room has seriously turned on Zach and Saleh continuing to try to crow bar Zach into the starting role just so he could attempt 15 passes this Sunday could have caused serious widespread malcontent and cost us the season

And I don’t think Wilson’s comment about him not letting the defense down is as big a deal as the media says it is but the other players on the team don’t feel that way