The Official: Fideliojet I was wrong thread!

FidelioJet

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Since before he was drafted I loved Zach Wilson as a player.

HIs potential was so intoxicating.  Having one of those elite level QB on the NY Jets was just such exciting thought.

I went all in!

I was wrong.  While I still say many of you knuckleheads never gave the kid a shot -but not only did I defend him, quite often I wasn't nice about it.   For that I apologize to my fellow JetNationers. 

As a vocal fan of his and this teams' I must accept the reality of the situation -  His benching this week, to me, signals the beginning of the end of his time as a NY Jet.

Sad day in Jet land....But let the Mike White era begin!

Kudos for owning it ... you are a good Captain Fid now c'mon I saved you a seat on the life boat.

dead poets society GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

HIs potential was so intoxicating.  Having one of those elite level QB on the NY Jets was just such exciting thought.

I went all in!

I was wrong.  While I still say many of you knuckleheads never gave the kid a shot -but not only did I defend him, quite often I wasn't nice about it.   For that I apologize to my fellow JetNationers. 

As a vocal fan of his and this teams' I must accept the reality of the situation -  His benching this week, to me, signals the beginning of the end of his time as a NY Jet.

You're a good man and I understand where you were coming from also.  When you're a Jets fan you hold onto hope that this QB will finally be the one.  

• Upvote 4

Captain, there are doubts
Regarding
Your ability
To lead them

The men
Lead them
There are doubts in your ability
There's too many blanks in your analogies

Lieutenant there is talk
Pertaining interpretations
The problems
Describe them

Problems
The enemy turns captain

The captain turns civilian
The lieutenant becomes casualty
The enemy turns captain

And the captain turns civilian

There's too many doubts in your ability
There's too many blanks
In your analogies

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

The Zach Wilson era is still not over.

It's a benching of a young player that deserved it. It is probably the best move a coach can make for any young QB and it probably isn't done enough. Instead, QB's get ruined by continuously marching them out there and when they struggle, they don't allow them to reset.

I think this is a brilliant move, takes courage, and Saleh is handling it as he should.

It's about the team first, and then developing the player.

Zach needs to learn from this, just as he needs to develop as a QB, and it doesn't mean we write him off.

That said, Mike White has an opportunity of a life time, and I'm excited to see what he does with it.

I hope you're right.

but I think it would take a  Herculean effort for him succeed here.  Problem is he's not ready - not close really and this fan base has no patience for him.  He very well might figure out somewhere else, but I can't see a path where it happens here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His benching this week, to me, signals the beginning of the end of his time as a NY Jet.

I tend to agree with you only because I think Zach is too broken to be fixed. 

But our opinions simply don't matter. 

Zach is the master of his own destiny and how does he respond... if he own this moment we'll probably see him again. If he believes he's the victim,  we won't see him again. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

Welcome to the dark side 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

From Saleh's presser, it's clear they still see him as the future.  Basically hoping he can hit the reset button and get back on track.  Unless White pulls a Nick Foles, I think Zach will be under center again this season.

They had to say that, had no choice. Anything less would tank Zack's career. Zack is done here for the forseeable future unless Mike White is horrible. A cynical person would say they forsaw this weeks ago when they elevated Mike White to #2. They started to see that Zack was not good enough at least not now and made a pre-emptive move in anticipation of the eventual benching that would happen unless Zack got better. 

He didnt and so Mike got what they were planning for weeks ago. 

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

Thanks for writing my apology letter.  Right there with you on this.

• Haha 1

1. I am rooting for him to succeed and figure things out, and if he doesn't it will be unfortunate with all that arm talent and movement ability but that's life

2. I will be rooting like hell for Mike White (no, i do not think he is the answer to our QB issues)

2. As i've previously said, its with Joe Douglas to figure this sh*t out...to me it means that no matter what next season we need a proven starter to compete for the job

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

Let me tell you something Fidelio I give you 100 % credit for standing firm and keeping a cool head under a lot of scrutiny. You are a class act as a poster and a person. I think we are all sorry Zach is not panning out but you kept up the positive hope and I commend you for it. Our debates were always civil and now we can move on and hope this lights some kind of fire that may come at the right time. I only ask one thing Mike White is starting what amounts to his third game I hope we can all give him that same hope to succeed if he has a few missteps. We already know he can move the offense the question is can he limit some of his mistakes which really only amounted to him being overly aggressive .If he plays within the offense and what it dictates he will be fine. If he makes mistakes he will need to learn from them and I think he will.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hope you're right.

but I think it would take a  Herculean effort for him succeed here.  Problem is he's not ready - not close really and this fan base has no patience for him.  He very well might figure out somewhere else, but I can't see a path where it happens here.

I think if the team stunk and the defense was still struggling people on this forum including myself would be willing to let Zach play out the year and try to improve but this is now a very good football team that has playoff chances including winning the division . Since its been so long a drought and the QB was not performing at all a move had to be made or risk losing the locker room and the fans and thats never good.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Let me tell you something Fidelio I give you 100 % credit for standing firm and keeping a cool head under a lot of scrutiny. You are a class act as a poster and a person. I think we are all sorry Zach is not panning out but you kept up the positive hope and I commend you for it. Our debates were always civil and now we can move on and hope this lights some kind of fire that may come at the right time. I only ask one thing Mike White is starting what amounts to his third game I hope we can all give him that same hope to succeed if he has a few missteps. We already know he can move the offense the question is can he limit some of his mistakes which really only amounted to him being overly aggressive .If he plays within the offense and what it dictates he will be fine. If he makes mistakes he will need to learn from them and I think he will.

I'm with you on Mike White.  Even if he's not the long term answer - let's hope he can help us make a run this year...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-white/32005748-4936-7864-3ac7-015862958e61

Strengths:

• Arm talent is the first thing you notice
  • Former high school pitcher with 90 MPH fastball who can crank up that heat when he needs to
  • Has good drive accuracy
  • Able to push the ball into tight windows
  • Has velocity and accuracy to attack the middle of the field
  • Can alternate between heat and touch
  • Throws catchable deep ball and has ability to drop it over a cornerback's head down the sideline
  • Can be dangerous from the pocket when he's protected
  • Completed 57 percent of his deep throws when protection was better in 2016
  • Resets feet before throwing when he leaves the pocket
  • Asked to make full-field reads at times

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

The Zach Wilson era is still not over.

It's a benching of a young player that deserved it. It is probably the best move a coach can make for any young QB and it probably isn't done enough. Instead, QB's get ruined by continuously marching them out there and when they struggle, they don't allow them to reset.

I think this is a brilliant move, takes courage, and Saleh is handling it as he should.

It's about the team first, and then developing the player.

Zach needs to learn from this, just as he needs to develop as a QB, and it doesn't mean we write him off.

That said, Mike White has an opportunity of a life time, and I'm excited to see what he does with it.

Thank you!

Saleh could see that Wilson was struggling weeks ago and Mike White was elevated to the second string clearly with this in mind!

As I said elsewhere, folks need to wake up and realize we have a great team and a Fantastic HC and this chance at slowing things down for Zach gives him the best chance to be great here!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

You're benched. And don't say "why me?"

But seriously, you went from Zach Wilson is elite, to he's gone for good? I think that's a bit extreme.

Zach will be playing again. Might be in a few games, when Mike White hits a wall, or next year in competition with a decent veteran alternative.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

I have been all in on Zach as well and I am OK with this move.

I thought Zach was the best college QB I have seen and still do. The pro Zach has not resembled that guy in any way. And his performance was NOT just a function of lesser competition. Zach possesses ELITE skills.

Sounds like the coaching staff feels his fundamentals have gone to crap, he is not mature and his handling of the press conference was uber lame. I still believe he can "get it" and be a FQB but who knows if he even gets the chance now. My issue is that I do not think White is the answer. We might go 2-5 with him and miss the playoffs. In many ways Zach was terrible but his ability to avoid the sack won us games alone.

I do have a serious question about Zach. He took Aderall in college. Was he not approved to continue in the NFL?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You're benched. And don't say "why me?"

But seriously, you went from Zach Wilson is elite, to he's gone for good? I think that's a bit extreme.

Zach will be playing again. Might be in a few games, when Mike White hits a wall, or next year in competition with a decent veteran alternative.

I just don't see how he recovers - here, as a NY Jet.  

My concern is he's just still raw and needs time to grow.  This fan base simply doesn't have the patience for him.

I still think he has an opportunity to be a good NFL QB - I just don't see how it happens here.  At least that's my view.