The Official: Fideliojet I was wrong thread!

FidelioJet

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No.  I am saying that its way to early to deem Zach Wilson a bust.  Kid is 22 years old.  A baby. 

Most NFL insiders i listened to during my 4 hour drive said he was immature and showed no leadership in college.  I give JD a pass here but not sure the kid can recover.  The skeletons saying he is not mature, spoiled etc are very abundant. I applaud the Jets organization for benching him. From Woody to Saleh.  

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Most NFL insiders i listened to during my 4 hour drive said he was immature and showed no leadership in college.  I give JD a pass here but not sure the kid can recover.  The skeletons saying he is not mature, spoiled etc are very abundant. I applaud the Jets organization for benching him. From Woody to Saleh.  

It has to be humbling, b/c he always succeeded before the nfl so he probably figured he could continue to do what he’s always done and it would be fine.  Definitely some denial about how he doesn’t have to work on his mechanics.  All we can do is see.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Not necessarily.  Zach looks lost out there because linebackers and safeties are keying on his sloppy ball handling and feasting on his ducks resulting from poor technique.

Zack is 23.  He is under contract for two more years beyond this one.  This is just hard work, discipline and a willingness to admit that there is a problem.  None of it is insurmountable.  Zack will be back.  He is clean and hard working.  But he was not ready to go after missing preseason.  Nor, to be honest, did I see any evidence that he had worked on these flaws in his game.  Somebody dropped the ball big time for that to be the case imo.  

Chad Pennington could clean up his game.  Zach just has to let him (or another).

The best option for Wilson is to pull a Geno Smith an figure it out in 10 years. 

Darnold, who all scouts admitted Wilson was almost a carbon copy of, also had terrible footwork, bad mechanics, etc. How many coaches has Darnold gone through?

19 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The best option for Wilson is to pull a Geno Smith an figure it out in 10 years. 

Darnold, who all scouts admitted Wilson was almost a carbon copy of, also had terrible footwork, bad mechanics, etc. How many coaches has Darnold gone through?

Ah, but Sam has risen to the top of the pond scum down in Carolina.  He starts this week. 

You may be right about Zach.  I know we will try to fix him.  Do not get me wrong, Zach was putrid.  That second half against NE was the worst.

I saw a stat somebody posted about Geno and Zach.  Evidently Zach has been so bad that if Geno threw his next 150 passes into the stands he would still have a higher QB rating.  That one is hard to absorb imo.

• Doh! 1

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Captain, there are doubts
Regarding
Your ability
To lead them

The men
Lead them
There are doubts in your ability
There's too many blanks in your analogies

Lieutenant there is talk
Pertaining interpretations
The problems
Describe them

Problems
The enemy turns captain

The captain turns civilian
The lieutenant becomes casualty
The enemy turns captain

And the captain turns civilian

There's too many doubts in your ability
There's too many blanks
In your analogies

Weed Cannabis GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Since before he was drafted I loved Zach Wilson as a player.

HIs potential was so intoxicating.  Having one of those elite level QB on the NY Jets was just such exciting thought.

I went all in!

I was wrong.  While I still say many of you knuckleheads never gave the kid a shot -but not only did I defend him, quite often I wasn't nice about it.   For that I apologize to my fellow JetNationers. 

As a vocal fan of his and this teams' I must accept the reality of the situation -  His benching this week, to me, signals the beginning of the end of his time as a NY Jet.

Sad day in Jet land....But let the Mike White era begin!

I was all in on Fields for the draft but Wilson was my #3 and I felt that he would be a good NFL QB. I soon became intoxicated by his quick release and Houdini like escapes and thought, this kid has all of the + stuff and once he masters the simple stuff we will really have something. Sadly, the simple stuff was not so simple. Personally, I think he is done and the Jets are just talking him up to maintain his trade value. Also, while others mention that many in the Jets building felt Mike White was a better option even at the beginning of the season, I feel like while that may likely be true, playing better than Zach Wilson was not a very high bar. I will be rooting for Mike White to tear it up (may even start him on my fantasy team) but I have serious doubts that he is the long term answer. Just like many correctly point out that no QB played as bad as Wilson in his first 2 seasons and then went on to be successful, I do not think the list of long term successful QBs who got their first shot as a 27 year old in their 5th or later season is much longer than Kurt Warner. Here's hoping Mike White adds him name to the list. 

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

HIs potential was so intoxicating.  Having one of those elite level QB on the NY Jets was just such exciting thought.

I went all in!

I was wrong.  While I still say many of you knuckleheads never gave the kid a shot -but not only did I defend him, quite often I wasn't nice about it.   For that I apologize to my fellow JetNationers. 

As a vocal fan of his and this teams' I must accept the reality of the situation -  His benching this week, to me, signals the beginning of the end of his time as a NY Jet.

There is no such thing as the Mike White Era.  He's a journeyman.  Unfortunately, he is also the only option the Jets CS has right now.  Flacco despite his experience and cannon arm, is not suited to run LeFleur's offence due to his lack of mobility.  They could not continue with Wilson as the team was in near revolt.  More importantly, letting Wilson continue to start was not in any way a reasonable direction to take with any hope of saving his career.  Due to his reported attitude and demonstrably awful play, letting him continue as the starter was akin to letting a kid with a belly ache stay in the candy store.  A "reset" is just about the only direction that can have some hope of saving Wilson from himself.  Not only is this move good for the moment and the season, it is the only move that gives Wilson a chance to play again for the Jets.  If this does not compel him to absorb the facts and act constructively as called for by realities, then nothing will.

They needed to drop a piano on his head and did.   This may very well save his career.  I doubt it, but at least the CS saw the situation and the only reasonable way to go forward with the season and with Wilson's future if there is any.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Like it or not.  It starts Sunday.

How long it lasts is a big question.  But Mike White is now the starter for the NY Jets.

When a back-up comes in for a starter, it is not what would be defined as an "era" unless you are a fan suffering from chronic MFW syndrome. 

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I went all in!

Honestly, I always found you to be fair and level-headed. Sure, we (the anti-Zach dicks) pushed your buttons and it would get emotional at times, but by and large you handled yourself well and with dignity. Some others were absolute assholes, but not you, FidelioJet. You fought the good fight. Cheers to you.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

As someone who didn’t want to draft Wilson, I think he still has a chance at being a player. His fundamentals are bad. I’m glad Saleh in his presser is finally admitting this.

fix the footwork. Fix the progression. Fix pocket presence. Fix timing. Fix the decision making. He should’ve never been allowed to just assume the starting job without showing improvement in these areas and if he doesn’t sulk and actually uses this as an opportunity to save his career then great. If he does sulk then he kick rocks and do it somewhere else. 

I trusted JD's evaluation.  And though I would've been happy to build around Darnold, it was a ton of fun having a shiny new toy at QB, especially with the rave reviews we were hearing.   I think it's kind of funny that people have fully made up their mind on him at this point.  While he hasn't given us much to be optimistic about, he still has a great arm and does one heck of a pirouette!  I haven't given up on him.  I don't think Saleh has either (and he basically said as much).  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

2. It’s time to stop overrating arm strength and off platform throws as signs of a good QB prospect. You need a baseline level of arm strength to make all the throws, but you don’t need a Josh Allen arm to succeed. Handle pressure in the pocket well, go through your progressions quickly, make good decisions and deliver accurate throws. Wilson was always atrocious at the first 2.

519504241_MikeWhiteFingers.gif.d3ef11c322a901e56457ecf7a847d905.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

A lot of pundits have lost credibility on Zach Wilson.  Obviously Chris Simms is the most glaring example of someone being completely wrong about Wilson to the point you wonder if he was watching a different player in college.

Either you can make presnap reads or you can’t.  It’s not really correctable after a couple years.  Wilson has had 18 months to learn a NFL playbook and gotten a ton of reps and he’s a one read guy who even looks hesitant on that designed one read 

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Bryce Petty and Christian Hackeberg ruined a lot of jets fans ability to evaluate the qb position.  Both guys were big strong athletes- both were disasters 

a lot of jets fans decided to go the opposite route preferring smaller qbs who were supposedly brainy

Watch this video on Christian Hackenberg's ability to do pre-snap reads.

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

The fan base has no patience for anyone.  I think if the coaching staff has patience he'll get another chance.  I just don't think Mike White has enough talent to hold down the job.  That said, Zach's stats don't lie, he's last in so many categories the odds are not great for a rebirth.  I do think he'll get  another chance, though  if not this year, in training camp next year.  He has arm talent and mobility and they won't give up on him until year three is over, when they have to decide on his 5th year option.  I still haven't given up hope that he can show the improvement necessary, and I think he'll get at least one more chance here.  Now, though, is the time to try and win games and get in the playoffs.

I'm willing to wait another 5 years...

638341823_ArchManning2.JPG.78d2a344292a6984ce6591768394c713.JPG

• Haha 1

I saw this clip on an insta meme account and it triggered arguments I had on this board with you Fido, so I took screenshots and now have to post it :D

C70BE9D7-BB96-427E-B8EB-C17354A37AFC.thumb.jpeg.02a1200542ca8e9152e96e767bd610fd.jpeg4BBA49F6-DA41-4D02-A253-61008EDB716B.thumb.jpeg.66322a3768b3073e7faa1cffe4c013b3.jpeg

It’s all good man. We’ve all been wrong. For instance, after the final 4 games of Darnold’s rookie year, I thought he was it. The chosen one. Clearly that’s not the case, and maybe it’s true  that Darnold got a dealt a sh*t hand here and it ruined his fundamentals and confidence and completely changed his career trajectory and led him to bust. Either way, I was 100% for moving on and drafting Fields after the first few weeks of year 3.

Hopefully Zach is behind us, and White can at least provide a high floor to allow the rest of the offense to develop, and we try again this offseason.

• Upvote 1