Lefleur press conference

k-met57

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

didnt see it posted https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/oc-mike-lafleur-press-conference-11-23-week-12

he called out Zach's bottom half as the problem, which is what Warner was saying as well. Its mind blowing that a guy gets picked second and you are now trying to fix his footwork in year 2. is it possible that got much worse? i doubt it.

Oof. LaFleur’s answers were loaded with contempt for Wilson. Three takeaways

1. LaFleur’s explanation (11:00 minute mark) of the third and one reveals the frustrations of an offensive coordinator dealing with a bad QB. He says they flooded the field with options for Zach on a basic passing concept and he basically missed them all. 

2. Interesting that Zach will be working with the scout team, which makes you think he’s QB3. Also compared Zach’s role to that of the practice squad players who have to develop while getting ready even if they aren’t playing.

3. the last question where he talks about Zach dealing with the pocket, and how hard that is to simulate in practice is brutal. It seems like he implies Zach isn’t comfortable in the pocket because of the contact (saying they can simulate pocket pressure in practice, but he knows he can’t be hit so it’s not the same). 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You can’t say it’s ‘never’ been solid. At best you can say it’s inconsistent. 

after the NE debacle I went back and looked at the tape of the BUF game, and for grins the 4th qtr of the PIT game. His footwork is just fine in those instances. I don’t understand why he’s so inconsistent with his footwork from week to week. Kinda seems like when things don’t go well, he presses and loses focus?  Like I said, IMO, it’s just weird. 

It shoukd just be instincts by now he has to set before he throws. Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes can throw like that because they have SB rings but when you are a 2nd uear starter at the bottom of every QB metric there is, you need to be on top of this stuff. 

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The Jets are actually Stacked now on Offense and that’s with an All Pro Guard/Tackle or whatever he wants to be in AVT, a probable Pro Bowl RB in Breece Hall out for the year.

I was one of the biggest Wilson supporters on here, but it was all based on his arm talent and potential.  Right at this juncture, this Kid is f**ked up beyond belief in the mental part of the game, even reverting to throwing ground balls and air mailing passes 20 feet over a guys head who is only 20 feet from where he’s throwing.  It also is affecting his footwork to the point it’s the worst in the league.  How is that even possible?  They have to do mirror drills, it’s the pros.  But whatever he’s thinking just throws everything off.

White, Flacco and even their 3rd String last year Josh Johnson were ripping off 300+ yard games last year in ML’s Offense like it was nothing.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with most of the Jets Offense personnel, and it’ll only get better.

Interestingly my wife is yelling at me the White sucks like against Buffalo last year but I am interested to see with his second chance starting and a top D(that was last in the league last year) what he does. He may not have the strongest arm but if he maintains his accuracy with short passing we saw previously that may be all this team needs to win most games.

41 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

You can’t say it’s ‘never’ been solid. At best you can say it’s inconsistent. 

after the NE debacle I went back and looked at the tape of the BUF game, and for grins the 4th qtr of the PIT game. His footwork is just fine in those instances. I don’t understand why he’s so inconsistent with his footwork from week to week. Kinda seems like when things don’t go well, he presses and loses focus?  Like I said, IMO, it’s just weird. 

Pats.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oof. LaFleur’s answers were loaded with contempt for Wilson. Three takeaways

1. LaFleur’s explanation (11:00 minute mark) of the third and one reveals the frustrations of an offensive coordinator dealing with a bad QB. He says they flooded the field with options for Zach on a basic passing concept and he basically missed them all. 

2. Interesting that Zach will be working with the scout team, which makes you think he’s QB3. Also compared Zach’s role to that of the practice squad players who have to develop while getting ready even if they aren’t playing.

3. the last question where he talks about Zach dealing with the pocket, and how hard that is to simulate in practice is brutal. It seems like he implies Zach isn’t comfortable in the pocket because of the contact (saying they can simulate pocket pressure in practice, but he knows he can’t be hit so it’s not the same). 

I didn't get contempt at all.  From everything I can tell he likes Zach and appreciates him as a competitor.

With that said your third point is really worrisome.  I think just about all of his problems come down to his inability to stand in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and step into his throws without fear of taking the hit.

I believe it all stems from that - the footwork, the lack of accuracy and even his ability to read defenses.

Honestly, that can't be taught either - I don't even think it's a toughness issue, at least not a conscious one.  You're either built to stand in the pocket and take that hit or you're not.  It's very well possibly he's just not.  Surely I can be wrong and certainly hope I am - but this is a serious concern.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The Jets are actually Stacked now on Offense and that’s with an All Pro Guard/Tackle or whatever he wants to be in AVT, a probable Pro Bowl RB in Breece Hall out for the year.

I was one of the biggest Wilson supporters on here, but it was all based on his arm talent and potential.  Right at this juncture, this Kid is f**ked up beyond belief in the mental part of the game, even reverting to throwing ground balls and air mailing passes 20 feet over a guys head who is only 20 feet from where he’s throwing.  It also is affecting his footwork to the point it’s the worst in the league.  How is that even possible?  They have to do mirror drills, it’s the pros.  But whatever he’s thinking just throws everything off.

White, Flacco and even their 3rd String last year Josh Johnson were ripping off 300+ yard games last year in ML’s Offense like it was nothing.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with most of the Jets Offense personnel, and it’ll only get better.

We will see a completely different offense on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

The thing that bothers me the most about MiLF, is the Jets drafted 7 offensive players 5 skilled, 2 OL with high picks and only one of them is a contributor to this team as of today. Granted AVT and Breece are pretty good, but will they be the same when they come back from injury. Time will tell. It didn't for Becton. Becton will have to compete for a job and was in MiLF's doghouse, Mims asked for a trade also in MiLF's sh*t list, and the same for Moore with Saleh lying about what occurred. Zach is a mess now. That's quite a bit of resources towards the offense to see minimal return. The only person worth a damn is Garrett. Some is just dumb luck. But I see Mims being released next year, and there is a good chance Moore will be traded. Becton has one more year but 2 years removed from playing and Zach could be traded or cut. And MiLF will probably survive. Just blows my mind, I guess it is about who you know.

So you downgrade the talent of two players in AVT and Hall because they were injured?  

They will be just fine...

The drafted players are still developing and already showing promise.

Zach Wilson is still very much the future until he's not, and while he bombed on Sunday, he's also had multiple games where he played great.

Everybody needs to slow down and relax on the prospects of our young players.

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

didnt see it posted https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/oc-mike-lafleur-press-conference-11-23-week-12

he called out Zach's bottom half as the problem, which is what Warner was saying as well. Its mind blowing that a guy gets picked second and you are now trying to fix his footwork in year 2. is it possible that got much worse? i doubt it.

That's not what his Mom's best friend says...

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn't get contempt at all.  From everything I can tell he likes Zach and appreciates him as a competitor.

With that said your third point is really worrisome.  I think just about all of his problems come down to his inability to stand in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and step into his throws without fear of taking the hit.

I believe it all stems from that - the footwork, the lack of accuracy and even his ability to read defenses.

Honestly, that can't be taught either - I don't even think it's a toughness issue, at least not a conscious one.  You're either built to stand in the pocket and take that hit or you're not.  It's very well possibly he's just not.  Surely I can be wrong and certainly hope I am - but this is a serious concern.

Yeah, I think it’s such a massive accusation to say that any football player is afraid of contact, especially a QB considering how terrifying hanging in the pocket would be for any normal human. I think there’s a distinction to make between being “afraid of contact” and simply having a poor feel for the rush, which I think is Zach’s deal. He wants to play in space, which isn’t always possible, but I don’t think he’s a coward or anything like that. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

It’s mind blowing that these issues weren’t fixed last year/this off season and that they started him this year knowing that the issues were t fixed. They also didn’t get a legit backup knowing all of this. This is a complete organizational botch job 

It’s not Zach’s fault at all that his issues haven’t been corrected?

I mean seriously 

He has to put in the work 

I’ve never heard him acknowledge once that his footwork sucks 

he said “no….no” he didn’t let the defense down 

ZW walks around like he thinks he’s Patrick Mahomes

it’s embarrassing 

Based on film analysis, it looks like ZW doesn’t even know the playbook 

By your logic, it must also be the Raiders’ fault that Jamarcus Russel sucked azz

no offense but with every post you make, it makes it harder to take you seriously 

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s not Zach’s fault at all that his issues haven’t been corrected?

I mean seriously 

He has to put in the work 

I’ve never heard him acknowledge once that his footwork sucks 

Based on film analysis, it looks like ZW doesn’t even know the playbook 

By your logic, it must also be the Raiders’ fault that Jamarcus Russel sucked azz

no offense but with every post you make, it makes it harder to take you seriously 

You are missing the point entirely. The team should see those things and a) have a good backup b) pulled him vs ne