MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

The more I think about it the more I wonder if they did the right thing at the wrong time.  

Getting Fant back and potentially Herbig and Davis, weak pass defenses coming up. 

kinda sets the stage to get locked into a mid QB at the expense of the bimbo with a golden arm. 

obviously it would be nice if Zach wasn’t a bimbo but there definitely a jetsy possibility here  

With that said let’s go MW !

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Rather than resurrect the thread, I will just post it here.  Hooray for Robert Saleh and the NY Jets.  This is the right move.  Mike White is a perfect system QB for the Shanahan offense.  It is why he is here.  Why were kept him last season and tendered him this year. 

From September 8 2022.

"Fellas, sooner or later you will get onboard the train.  All Aboard.

I just wanted to chime in my support for starting Mike White for the four game stretch.  This is not a dump Zach Wilson thread.  Zach was born with the thunderbolt and we have to try to make it work.   He is our #1.  Further, I realize the Jets are too chicken.  So I will not troll the board.  Nevertheless, I argue we should do this for four reasons plus Zach can learn a few things while he sits.   

First, I think Mike White gives us a better chance to win the majority of those games.  White adds a powerful screen and play action element to the Jets offense that Flacco does not.  Flacco must hit downfield passes early or we will get whupped.  He is a statute back there.  Mike White eats clock and moves the chains.  This is not cheerleading.  It is obvious that Mike is more elusive and adept at run substitutes like screens, draws and the play action fake than either Zach or Flacco.   

Second, it will allow us to find out whether or not White is a viable long term backup.  We do need to find this out.  It's both good management of our scarce resources (players) and good business (cap money).  If White comes off the bench later this year and does it again we will lose him.  And I WARN the board, White showed signs of that magic in the preseason.  I watched those games a second time.  It was not just the Strev (I loved it but the chaos play does not work in the NFL).   We need to find out if White is the guy and this is a perfect opportunity.   He has such a clean game.   

Third, it will permit our injured #1 - Zach is our #1 - to watch and learn:

A.   How to handle a football in the backfield - exactly the same every single time.  With Zach, every snap is different.  He has got to clean this up and not just when he throws.  Taking the ball under center is part of the game.  Being good at it, an advantage.  

B.   That the secret to White's screen game lies in his footwork.    Zach has the worst screen pass footwork I have ever seen.  Footwork can be coached. 

C.   The play action fake is not something that is called by the coaching staff.  It is the weapon that is available at all times to QBs who handle the ball properly and use proper footwork (see A & B above).  You cannot fool them any other way.  There is a how. 

D.   That you must set your feet in the pocket before you throw.  There is a reason the pitching rubber in baseball is sideways.  It is how you set your back foot.  In the pocket you must step forward into the direction you are throwing.  The flat foot stuff from the pocket must go.  He has got to clean up the footwork.  This does not mean we must tame him.  He throws great on the run.  But it is no excuse for bad form in the pocket.  White's form is virtually flawless.  He has had success with it too.  Zach can learn from him.

Fourth, IT WILL BE FUN.  A ROLLICKING RIDE WITH AN UNCERTAIN DESTINATION.  I feel like Flacco will lead us to a dignified 0-4 record.  White scares people.  White inspires people.  Instead of the Dropkick Murphys we play a dark march.   C'mon.  Let's make some noise. 

I am sour about it because this is just work and repetition.  Perspiration.  Effort.   Watching yourself on film while a coach works with you until you develop consistent technique.   Zack must master this sh*t and it is NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.   Sam Darnold lived in the shotgun and we all saw it.  Why did he not progress?  Is it going to happen again?  Geno and Sanchez came into the league with better skills.  Chad and Klecko should be our QB coaches.  Chad can teach and Joe can administer discipline. 

Mike White brings the storm.  He has a disciplined screen game that complements our zone scheme.  He has the best ballhandling in the backfield since Chad.  He is a master of the play action fake (you know a guy is good when he fools you and the cameraman).  Best of all, he brings enough to the table that he adds to what the rest of the team offers.  As Bill Parcells used to put it, he drives the bus.  And he is fun.  Moreover, he has convinced me that he has worked his ass off.  I can see the polish.  I can see the effort.  

I fear Zack is hurt worse than the Jets are letting on.  Lets play Mike White.  So it will not be this week.  How about next week?  How about halftime?   Release the Kracken."

THE KRACKEN IS LOOSE!  LONG LIVE THE KRACKEN! 

• Post of the Week 3

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Why are you all of a sudden rooting against the Jets? 

And you see why it's wise to scroll through each page to see whose posts you're going to read? I always read yours, I always read Shane, Smash, Max, and NJ all the guys who've been around JetNation for years through the thick and thin

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Mike White...so what!  Being named the starting QB of the NYJ has its drawbacks.  

With this defense and a guy who can play well in this system Bill, there's a chance that unless you end up lost in the Everglades or the jungles of Vietnam(again)you may actually have a chance to SEE a Super Bowl played by these Jets before we join Savage 69 in that big Jets bar in the sky

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

And you see why it's wise to scroll through each page to see whose posts you're going to read? I always read yours, I always read Shane, Smash, Max, and NJ all the guys who've been around JetNation for years through the thick and thin

My job is to read the naughty one ones. I envy you friend, 

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

You can mark this down Mike White is going to be a damn good QB in this league and I think he's going to take over this job and never give it up. Its time for us to have one of these success stories and finally we have the team to do it. MW does not have to throw 50 TD's and he does not have to play scared he just has to move this offense like we saw him do when he played before. 

Mike Romo ! I’m in!!! 

28 minutes ago, Larz said:

The more I think about it the more I wonder if they did the right thing at the wrong time.  

Getting Fant back and potentially Herbig and Davis, weak pass defenses coming up. 

kinda sets the stage to get locked into a mid QB at the expense of the bimbo with a golden arm. 

obviously it would be nice if Zach wasn’t a bimbo but there definitely a jetsy possibility here  

With that said let’s go MW !

I'd agree if Zach's problems were the results facing tough defenses  instead of the inability to run the playbook, see the field, or throw an accurate forward pass. That will be the same no matter who's lining up against him.

• Upvote 1