MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why I’m salty is that White has entered a new tier of debate. First was, is he better than Zach! Which, obviously. Second, was he better than both Zach and Flacco? Seems to be the case. Now? It’s is Mike White good enough to be considered the QB of the future to the point that we don’t need to spend on Garoppolo or Carr, etc? The stakes are higher now, and Mike White needs to show more than he did today. He was gutty and, overall, decent, but it wasn’t so good that he should be penciled in as a competitor for QB1 next year. Hopefully, that comes. 

That's fair. He sure is close to hitting that point though. 

• Upvote 1

I am happy with how Mike White played. He made some bad throws and made a few poor decisions but overall from what I saw I was pretty happy. Most of the incompletions I saw were not his fault, and were either dropped or were broken up, but for the most part on the money. I don't know if this was a result of White's decision making or play-calling, but he threw a lot of checkdowns to Ty Johnson. By the I mean a lot. Every 3rd down seemed to be a checkdown to Johnson, and half the time they didn't make it passed the 1st down marker. I don't know who was making that decision every time though. 

I also didn't see either interception, were they both on drops or just the first one?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why I’m salty is that White has entered a new tier of debate. First was, is he better than Zach! Which, obviously. Second, was he better than both Zach and Flacco? Seems to be the case. Now? It’s is Mike White good enough to be considered the QB of the future to the point that we don’t need to spend on Garoppolo or Carr, etc? The stakes are higher now, and Mike White needs to show more than he did today. He was gutty and, overall, decent, but it wasn’t so good that he should be penciled in as a competitor for QB1 next year. Hopefully, that comes. 

This...is a fair take.  +1

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thank you for being fair.  This is a very good assessment and I agree 100% with this.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He has certainly showed enough to be the starter the rest of this season. The throw he made to Davis on 4th and 10 had to be absolutely perfect, and it was. He missed Wilson by a foot on that long throw or that would have been another great throw and play. I’m more convinced now that he has a chance to be a franchise QB than I was after last weeks game. He did what great QBs do today in that he made adjustments to his game on a day when he didn’t have his best stuff. While I agree that another 5mph on his fastball would be preferable I think he can be 2nd tier with what he has. What a lot of people are forgetting is that this was only his 5th start and he will continue to get better reading defenses as he gets more experience.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Mike White is our QB next year we’re doomed. I know fans go bonkers for him but he is who he is his ceiling is not much higher. He’s a very good backup who can perform in spots; a system QB who consistently knows where to go with the ball (I don’t think he made poor decisions today unlike some are saying), but is a see-it throw-it QB who lacks the kind of arm talent/anticipation to get away with it consistently. He’s the kind of guy who can go out and throw 400 yards and 3 TDs one week, and perform the exact same level with good decision-making yet have 200 yards and 3 INTs the following week. Defenses and the players around him dictate his play moreso than he does, which is very similar to Nick Foles. 

I do think he’s enough to get this team to the playoffs if he’s given the opportunity to, but envisioning him as anything but a temporary fix is very very faulty and likely a massive letdown. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

If Mike White is our QB next year we’re doomed. I know fans go bonkers for him but he is who he is his ceiling is not much higher. He’s a very good backup who can perform in spots; a system QB who consistently knows where to go with the ball (I don’t think he made poor decisions today unlike some are saying), but is a see-it throw-it QB who lacks the kind of arm talent/anticipation to get away with it consistently. He’s the kind of guy who can go out and throw 400 yards and 3 TDs one week, and perform the exact same level with good decision-making yet have 200 yards and 3 INTs the following week. Defenses and the players around him dictate his play moreso than he does, which is very similar to Nick Foles. 

I do think he’s enough to get this team to the playoffs if he’s given the opportunity to, but envisioning him as anything but a temporary fix is very very faulty and likely a massive letdown. 

We can beat any team in the NFL with white at QB. What exactly can’t he do that another QB that we can realistically get can? 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why I’m salty is that White has entered a new tier of debate. First was, is he better than Zach? Which, obviously. Second, was he better than both Zach and Flacco? Seems to be the case. Now? It’s is Mike White good enough to be considered the QB of the future to the point that we don’t need to spend on Garoppolo or Carr, etc? The stakes are higher now, and Mike White needs to show more than he did today. He was gutty and, overall, decent, but it wasn’t so good that he should be penciled in as a competitor for QB1 next year. Hopefully, that comes. 

I do not agree.  He has limited experience in his own right, and that inexperience was not on display.  He showed poise in the pocket, a willingness to take a hit, toughness after a big hit (immediately making a huge pass for a first down), and the coaching staff certainly had a significant amount of faith in him with 57 ******* passes (stupid on so many levels).  

He has shown all the qualities needed to be a QB1, with limited opportunity.  If he was drafted #2 we would be doing cartwheels, since he wasn't he doesn't get the same luxury?

I would take today's performance everyweek all year, every year and be gitty as ****.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

We can beat any team in the NFL with white at QB. What exactly can’t he do that another QB that we can realistically get can? 

He is not an anticipation passer and lacks the kind of arm talent required to be a see-it, throw-it QB. 

He is accurate in a sense that he makes good decisions and consistently knows where to go with the ball, but he’s not a naturally accurate thrower in terms of ball placement. Against good defenses these are PDs or turnovers. Against bad defenses it’s wide open and goes for a big play. 

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

I do not agree.  He has limited experience in his own right, and that inexperience was not on display.  He showed poise in the pocket, a willingness to take a hit, toughness after a big hit (immediately making a huge pass for a first down), and the coaching staff certainly had a significant amount of faith in him with 57 ******* passes (stupid on so many levels).  

He has shown all the qualities needed to be a QB1, with limited opportunity.  If he was drafted #2 we would be doing cartwheels, since he wasn't he doesn't get the same luxury?

I would take today's performance everyweek all year, every year and be gitty as ****.

I think fans put way too much weight into  #stats. If he was drafted 2nd, I think it would be a similar experience as Cleveland just had with Baker Mayfield. You think you have something because the scheme gives him opportunities to put up big numbers from time to time, but you really don’t have a franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

I think white played good today. Not great. But good. 350+ yards. He did have 2 ints but the first one is on Davis. It should have been caught. If berrios catches that 4th down pass in the EZ mike white would be considered a god. 

I see no reason why he can’t be the future here in nyc. 1 thing I know for sure is that Zach ain’t it. I’m Excited to see MW play out the rest of the year. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe I’m missing something but to me Mike white has shown all the characteristics to be a really excellent QB.  Sure I’d like it if he was about faster or more athletic but the more I see of him the more I see Curt Warner, grocery boy turned HOF.   Wanna bring in some completion fine but imo he can lead us to a championship.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t think any of this is certain just yet. He’s looked a lot better than Wilson. A temporary fix works fine for me. He needs to make better decisions in the red zone though. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think the calculation at the end of the year will come down to whether or not Douglas thinks Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo are $25 million dollars better than Mike White plus the chance that Zach turns it around. Even with Zach outright sucking and the small sample we have of White, I think I’d still rather roll with White plus $25 mil for 2023 and, if need be, jump back into the draft-a-QB lottery in 24 when the class is projected to be much better. 

I’m becoming more pessimistic by the day. From everyone I’ve spoken with there are no real plans to add a big name QB. More likely than not it will be Zach Wilson, Mike White, and a mid-round pick. 

We need to hope and pray that Zach figures it out or the mid round pick becomes Russell Wilson (seahawks version) otherwise it’s extremely possible everyone is fired Jan 2024. And that would suck ass because we have a great GM and HC. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think any of this is certain just yet. He’s looked a lot better than Wilson. A temporary fix works fine for me. He needs to make better decisions in the red zone though. 

There’s no doubt he’s been better than Wilson. Difference is the upside. I wish we can take Mike White’s brain and put it in Zach Wilson’s body—that would be a top 5 QB—but we cannot.

I get the Mike White love. I really do. But he is Nick Foles. Nothing less and nothing more 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

There’s no doubt he’s been better than Wilson. Difference is the upside. I wish we can take Mike White’s brain and put it in Zach Wilson’s body—that would be a top 5 QB—but we cannot.

I get the Mike White love. I really do. But he is Nick Foles. Nothing less and nothing more 

Nick foles won a Super Bowl. Just sayin 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Instead of wasting top picks on qbs, top picks to trade up for top picks for qbs, imagine we had used the darnold pick on a OL, and maybe the 3 2nd rounders we wasted trading up for him ? And we could have had another star with Zach Wilson pick. Know we are missing our best lineman, but if we beef up the OL instead of wasting picks yr in yr out on bad qbs, we can be very good with white and/vet. This team is similar to 09/10 team. But much better OL/running  game. With nothing special rbs. White is by far and away better than mark sanchez was. Look how far we got with him. obviously everyone is the world is better than Zach Wilson. 

51 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Sign this dude for 2023 & 2024.

• Draft a QB this year or next to sit and learn

I like this. If we were to get a guy like Jimmy G or Carr I would only want them to be as holdovers/mentors for a prospect we can spend proper time developing. If Mike White is already that, then I'm happy. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty devastated, but only because I think White can be so good. Yes, he threw for a lot of yards and was pretty clutch, but it’s hard not to notice that he’s missing that 5 MPH on his fastball, and that cost him a bunch of completions and *probably* the TD to Berrios. He has to stick it in there on those in-breaking routes or his receivers have to fight it out for everything they get on those patterns. 

In sum, Mike White is good, but if he wants to be a QB1, he needs to get stronger and bigger to find that extra juice. He’s 85% of the way there, but there’s work to do. 

I think it comes with time. He's just so inexperienced in NFL terms. He hasn't played much.  He's more than adequate to lead a team to the playoffs.  He just needs playing time, make smarter throws, be safe with the ball. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Nick foles won a Super Bowl. Just sayin 

And I’m all for that. But I wish fans can just be honest with theirselves and appreciate that Mike White is a really good backup in this scheme and can go out and give the Jets a chance to win. Just don’t make him out to be more than he is for the long-term

• Upvote 1

And I’m all for that. But I wish fans can just be honest with theirselves and appreciate that Mike White is a really good backup in this scheme and can go out and give the Jets a chance to win. Just don’t make him out to be more than he is for the long-term

You're Joe Douglas.  Who are you looking to acquire in 2023 as the QB1?

We have no idea what he is yet. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m becoming more pessimistic by the day. From everyone I’ve spoken with there are no real plans to add a big name QB. More likely than not it will be Zach Wilson, Mike White, and a mid-round pick. 

We need to hope and pray that Zach figures it out or the mid round pick becomes Russell Wilson (seahawks version) otherwise it’s extremely possible everyone is fired Jan 2024. And that would suck ass because we have a great GM and HC. 

if they sit back and keep Zach, White and a 3rd round pick instead of signing a big name QB and it fails well then they deserve it for not bringing in a big name QB.

i love Saleh and JD but thats just stupid to keep Zach and not bring in anyone else.

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Instead of wasting top picks on qbs, top picks to trade up for top picks for qbs, imagine we had used the darnold pick on a OL, and maybe the 3 2nd rounders we wasted trading up for him ? And we could have had another star with Zach Wilson pick. Know we are missing our best lineman, but if we beef up the OL instead of wasting picks yr in yr out on bad qbs, we can be very good with white and/vet. This team is similar to 09/10 team. But much better OL/running  game. With nothing special rbs. White is by far and away better than mark sanchez was. Look how far we got with him. obviously everyone is the world is better than Zach Wilson. 

The 09/10 teams fell apart and cost us an entire decade of losing football. When the team got older and slower, Mark Sanchez was not good enough to lift the team up when we needed him to, which is why it all fell apart. 

You need a good QB in order to be a sustainable winner. It’s unrealistic to expect your defense and run game to be elite every year, and you’re not going to be able to keep every good player. Mike White is a good backup and solid spot-starter. The difference between him, Mark Sanchez, and Zach Wilson is talent. The goal is to teach Zach Wilson to play like Mike White 80% of the time and allow him to be a playmaker 20% of the time. That would be elite QBing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're Joe Douglas.  Who are you looking to acquire in 2023 as the QB1?

Personally I would try to trade for Aaron Rodgers and hold onto Zach. Treat ZW the way SF treated Steve Young when he was Montana’s backup, hope Rodgers wins us a couple Super Bowls while allowing yourself the time and patience to develop Zach into the elite QB he’s capable of being 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

The 09/10 teams fell apart and cost us an entire decade of losing football. When the team got older and slower, Mark Sanchez was not good enough to lift the team up when we needed him to, which is why it all fell apart. 

You need a good QB in order to be a sustainable winner. It’s unrealistic to expect your defense and run game to be elite every year, and you’re not going to be able to keep every good player. Mike White is a good backup and solid spot-starter. The difference between him, Mark Sanchez, and Zach Wilson is talent. The goal is to teach Zach Wilson to play like Mike White 80% of the time and allow him to be a playmaker 20% of the time. That would be elite QBing.

Zach Wilson is a bust. His ceiling of hope is what Mike white is. That is reality. He never should have been picked in 1st round, let alone 2nd overall. There is not a franchise in league that has more first round, 2nd round busts than ny jets. Becton and few other non qbs, but mostly chasing bad qbs too early. I don’t even want to compile the list. Those picks are where you can get your near can’t miss 10 yr stars. Dbrick, mangold, revis, sauce, G Wilson . etc. Look how many we wasted.. And yet we are still pretty good this yr.. Probably 9-3 right now if Zach didn’t touch the field. And if he was never drafted, along with Darnold and the 3 2nd round picks we wasted ? Would have crazy talent still in rookie deals.. 

• Maxman locked this topic
  • Maxman unlocked this topic