MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

And I’m all for that. But I wish fans can just be honest with theirselves and appreciate that Mike White is a really good backup in this scheme and can go out and give the Jets a chance to win. Just don’t make him out to be more than he is for the long-term

You are making him out to be less than he is. And there is zero % chance “everyone is getting fired” because of the QB position next year. 

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

And I’m all for that. But I wish fans can just be honest with theirselves and appreciate that Mike White is a really good backup in this scheme and can go out and give the Jets a chance to win. Just don’t make him out to be more than he is for the long-term

This would carry alot more weight if you weren't still a "Zach is Dreamy" guy.

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Personally I would try to trade for Aaron Rodgers and hold onto Zach

Lol, a $50 million a year over-the-hill we'd have to spend picks to get and a never-will-be bust.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're Joe Douglas.  Who are you looking to acquire in 2023 as the QB1?

Give me Danny Dimes for 20 mil if he hits the market. Over 60% completion percentage every year. Doesn’t throw a bunch of picks. Can run the ball decently well. 

Zach can compete with him as the starter (Jones will likely win) and draft a mid round QB. 

5 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

You are making him out to be less than he is. And there is zero % chance “everyone is getting fired” because of the QB position next year. 

if they start Zach and dont bring in a big name and we lose they could very well be fired.

we all know Zach isnt the guy, if they gamble that he is and bring in nobody there gone cause that is just stupid.

40 minutes ago, hawk said:

I do not agree.  He has limited experience in his own right, and that inexperience was not on display.  He showed poise in the pocket, a willingness to take a hit, toughness after a big hit (immediately making a huge pass for a first down), and the coaching staff certainly had a significant amount of faith in him with 57 ******* passes (stupid on so many levels).  

He has shown all the qualities needed to be a QB1, with limited opportunity.  If he was drafted #2 we would be doing cartwheels, since he wasn't he doesn't get the same luxury?

I would take today's performance everyweek all year, every year and be gitty as ****.

Yeah, I think the case can be made that White is good enough to roll with and see what he can do, but there are absolutely some eye-opening gaps in his skillset that are concerning. That said, I just watched Burrow and Mahomes display some of the same issues I had with White today, so maybe we’re just being a little overly critical. ?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

This would carry alot more weight if you weren't still a "Zach is Dreamy" guy.

Lol, a $50 million a year over-the-hill we'd have to spend picks to get and a never-will-be bust.

If “Zach is dreamy” means realist then yes. If you took Mike’s junk out of your mouth for a second you would realize that what I root for is a sustainable winner. We have the right coaching staff and GM to achieve that, but at the end of the day HCs and GMs are fired if they cannot find and develop talented QBs. It’s an unfair reality. 

We only have one QB on our roster talented enough to develop into a top 15-type player that can keep the band together long-term. You want to go the smoke and mirrors route and convince yourself that a 27-year old backup caliber player is your long-term option then have at it. It would end the same way it did for Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Eagles QB Gardner Minshew lived in a bus outside his local gym this  offseason

Fits the mold for a JD free agent signing. There is zero chance JD brings in Rogers, Carr or jimmy G. JD ain’t paying a veteran on the downside of his career. Minshew is younger than Mike White, has a record of playing QB well and the Jets need Minshew as much as he needs them.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think fans put way too much weight into  #stats. If he was drafted 2nd, I think it would be a similar experience as Cleveland just had with Baker Mayfield. You think you have something because the scheme gives him opportunities to put up big numbers from time to time, but you really don’t have a franchise QB. 

I couldn't careless about stats frankly. He is doing what is asked of him, and he is doing it with intangibles.  Again, if he was a #2 pick, everyone would be pleased.  Since he wasn't, he isn't even a lock to be on the team?  The kid is doing everything right, and we should be focused on that.  Not scheme.  Not stats.  His play on the field and the way he leads this team should be the only consideration, which is far superior to anyone on this roster and several years past, period.

22 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think it comes with time. He's just so inexperienced in NFL terms. He hasn't played much.  He's more than adequate to lead a team to the playoffs.  He just needs playing time, make smarter throws, be safe with the ball. 

Ehhhhhh I think it’s more the receivers need more time with White, hopefully. The Vikings were bodying the Jets receivers and some—particuarly Corey Davis and Tyler Conklin—didn’t respond to it. Maybe they get it together in the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Fits the mold for a JD free agent signing. There is zero chance JD brings in Rogers, Carr or jimmy G. JD ain’t paying a veteran on the downside of his career. Minshew is younger than Mike White, has a record of playing QB well and the Jets need Minshew as much as he needs them.

Yep. He is cheap and played well on a crappy team. Imagine what he could do on the Jets...

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think the case can be made that White is good enough to roll with and see what he can do, but there are absolutely some eye-opening gaps in his skillset that are concerning. That said, I just watched Burrow and Mahomes display some of the same issues I had with White today, so maybe we’re just being a little overly critical. ?

Today's game may have been the first time in a very long time that I had confidence the offense would go down field on the first effort, which was stopped on 4th down to take the lead.  

We got the ball back with a little over a minute, and had confidence we would drive the again.  

Both times the "offense" drove for an opportunity.  That is not all White, but I do believe White is the center of it, and the TEAM believes in him.

Holes in his game, yes, and as you said some more experience and better guys do as well.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I like this. If we were to get a guy like Jimmy G or Carr I would only want them to be as holdovers/mentors for a prospect we can spend proper time developing. If Mike White is already that, then I'm happy. 

I think he can be / already is that to be honest.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

Today's game may have been the first time in a very long time that I had confidence the offense would go down field on the first effort, which was stopped on 4th down to take the lead.  

We got the ball back with a little over a minute, and had confidence we would drive the again.  

Both times the "offense" drove for an opportunity.  That is not all White, but I do believe White is the center of it, and the TEAM believes in him.

There is no bigger Mike White fan than me, and what you’re saying is true. My fear is that he’s gotta be Superman to hold onto the job, so every miss and mistake is magnified. I just want him to show he has the ability to clean those things up by the end of the year so we don’t even have to have the conversation about the array of scrubs free agent QBs out there or, even worse, burning another year hoping Zach Wilson learns how to play football.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

With only like 5-6 career starts under his belt, I doubt it. 

We don't Mike White to be elite with how this team is structured, we just need him to be better than what Zach Wilson showed. 

It’s a matter of trusting your eyes and the information at hand without focusing on stats. Try to forget the result and focus on the process while charting every throw in his career… if you do that, you’ll know who he is as the Jets do. 4 games vs. 30 won’t change it. If anything, the more games he plays will teach teams how to adjust, and I’m not sure White is capable of adjusting very much. People can go on and on about the narratives that don’t matter in the big picture, like his teammates loving him etc., but it doesn’t change his limitations/ceiling. I think at his very very best he’s possibly prime Matt Schaub with less arm talent. More likely Nick Foles/Case Keenum. That’s plenty enough in the present and could even result in temporary statistical greatness, but it’s not sustainable long-term.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

There is no bigger Mike White fan than me, and what you’re saying is true. My fear is that he’s gotta be Superman to hold onto the job, so every miss and mistake is magnified. I just want him to show he has the ability to clean those things up by the end of the year so we don’t even have to have the conversation about the array of scrubs free agent QBs out there or, even worse, burning another year hoping Zach Wilson learns how to play football.

Sadly, I agree he does.  I think it is bullsh*t, and what will ultimately show what you have in your front office.  You play / pay the guys that perform, and that isn't due to draft status or contract.  You perform, you play.  

I don't think he is the next Kurt Warner, or Tom Brady (yet :) ), but he has proven he can lead this offense on multiple occassions..  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What gaps are you seeing? Honest question.

I think Mike White’s limitation is that he is not able to create off script. Still TBD as I need to see him more.

Within the design of the play, he can attack all parts of the field.

I’m thinking Cousins as his theoretical upside. But things should become clearer over the next few weeks. 

I'm not out on Zach yet.  I hope they keep him and let him sit and learn.  

But I'm all in on White right now.  Offer him 3 year Flacco money right now.  It's enough that he might take it (life changing money for a 5th round draft pick), but doesn't hurt the Jet's ability to build a team around him.  Then if Zach somehow gets it, they still have White making fair backup money. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not back pedaling. We’re making sure he becomes Joe Burrow.

Football Guy has taken a total 180. I am sensing an unfortunate narrative here. Respect you TS but come on with the JB comparisons. Don’t trust a ******* thing when it comes to the Jets and their agenda. 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s a matter of trusting your eyes and the information at hand without focusing on stats. Try to forget the result and focus on the process while charting every throw in his career… if you do that, you’ll know who he is as the Jets do. 4 games vs. 30 won’t change it. If anything, the more games he plays will teach teams how to adjust, and I’m not sure White is capable of adjusting very much. People can go on and on about the narratives that don’t matter in the big picture, like his teammates loving him etc., but it doesn’t change his limitations/ceiling. I think at his very very best he’s possibly prime Matt Schaub with less arm talent. More likely Nick Foles/Case Keenum. That’s plenty enough in the present and could even result in temporary statistical greatness, but it’s not sustainable long-term.

You are right.  Trusting your eyes to see ball placement, poise in the pocket, and above else, he has shown improved accuracy down the field.  No player gets better without repetition, and chemistry.  Is he a dink and dunk passer, thus far, yes, however, he is showing some growth in throwing guys open and accuracy in the intermediate range also.  

The narrative that the team loves him is added bonus, and does add value to quarterback.  I don't care who you are, if you have a kindred relationship with someone, you push just a little harder.  Maybe its is laying out for a pass, or throwing a block, or maybe it is going up high over the middle to grab a ball versus alligator arms, who knows what it means, but it isn't cut and dry to just being a professional.  There is a human element to each player, and those that disregard that human element are the ones that just don't cut it.  

• Upvote 3