MIKE WHITE

T0mShane

1 minute ago, The Engineer said:

Reading this thread. Regardless if youre right or wrong, you come off like a completely entitled "look at me" meatball. The presentation is honestly embarassing 

I don’t even know how we got here. If anything I defended Mike White despite a so-so performance yet everyone lost their mind because I’m acknowledging that he does not have the potential to be a franchise QB, a feeling that is shared by virtually everyone associated with the Jets.

Don’t get me wrong I can be insufferable but I do not understand how we went from there to here 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wtf is wrong with you

I’m beyond tired being attacked for no apparent reason. You’ll never see me shelling out personal attacks first, and while I don’t like resorting to insults, sometimes that’s the only thing at my disposal to get people off my back. This counter-punch seemingly worked. 

I’d like to get back to Mike White now please and thank you.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wtf is wrong with you

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m beyond tired being attacked for no apparent reason. You’ll never see me shelling out personal attacks first, and while I don’t like resorting to insults, sometimes that’s the only thing at my disposal to get people off my back. This counter-punch seemingly worked. 

I’d like to get back to Mike White now please and thank you.

This has already been covered. Move on please.

52 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Mike White gets the rest of the year. The only way Zach gets another start is if White gets hurt.

My thoughts are:

• White's arm is strong enough to play in this league
  • He was slightly off today accuracy wise, but he has amazing ball placement (hey now). He hits those screen passes better than we have seen here, perfectly in stride
  • His pocket presence is good. Steps up, side steps. Good in the pocket
  • He can stretch the field a bit so I don't have worries there. And we are seeing that he is getting passes in tight windows down the field

My only concern is how damn slow he seems. Not sure if that will come back to bite him. But I want his offseason to be like a Rocky movie so he comes back next year and can take the easy 5 yards when it is in front of him.

Prediction: He leads the Jets to a playoff berth and they win their first game.

He comes back next year with a new contract as the starting QB.

@T0mShane give me a serious reply to this, curious what you think?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I agree with most of this, but White has to be better than he was today—not because he was bad, but because he’s so close to being very, very good. I still think his arm is weaker than it should be, and it’d be nice if he mixed in a few scrambles, but at least the mental part of the game is on point. I’m nervous about the Bills game, if only because the “White can’t play” narrative will be strong for that one if he doesn’t win. Ultimately, I was bummed because today was a missed opportunity. One more TD at the end there and Mike White would have become legend.

Well you said it, if Berrios hangs on the talk this week would have been insane.  I am nervous about the Bills game, they have that one circled. Hopefully Michael Carter is back and the Jets can run the ball a bunch.

He gets a nice stretch after the Bills game. They put White in at a tough time. Should have pulled Zach against the Pats and let White win that one. Would have given the team more breathing room.

Regardless of what happens against the Bills he has to hang on for the Lions and Jaguars in a short week, back to back at home. That will be a lot of fun.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, football guy said:

By no means do I think he is unable to improve. Players are always improving. My point is that he is limited.  Put it this way: if someone told me Mike White were to have a 4500 yard, 40 TD season I wouldn’t be shocked. I also wouldn’t be shocked if he were benched the following year. He can only go as far as the offense and scheme allow him to, and if it breaks down even a little bit so will he. I don’t root for that I just know and accept it… if he could be the second coming of Tom Brady by all means I would run with that. I just know he’s not. You cannot teach talent and upside… which is why l still think the best hope for a sustainable winner in New York is by developing Zach into a good QB OR finding a guy in the draft. I don’t think the latter is impossible either… a guy like Hendon Hooker will probably fall due to injury and age, but I think he has the kind of ability to be a star QB in the right system.

Re: teammates loving him. These narratives exist for every team’s backup QBs for those paying attention. It’s the most humble position on the roster. Taylor Heinicke is a perfect example of it… that doesn’t make him a long-term answer to their QB position. Nor did it make Ryan Fitzpatrick the answer for the 18 teams he was on. 

Talent only gets you so far.  Yes, Wilson has a great arm and can throw off platform. Jeff George had as good of an arm I have ever seen. There is more to QB than arm talent.  Wilson has shown no pocket presence at all in 20 starts.  He doesn't set his feet to throw. He doesn't appear to have the ability to read defenses.  He won't stay in the pocket and take a hit to throw a pass. The Jets offense looks terrible when he plays.  And his accuracy is awful.  So where does the "talent" get the Jets?  Nowhere.  

White may not have Wilson's arm, but in a small sample size - 5 games - he has transformed the Jets into a high performing NFL offense.  He hits open receivers. He hangs in the pocket to make throws. He threads the needle.  He throws receivers open.  Yes he missed some throws today, but so does every QB in the NFL.   The difference in this team with Wilson vs White is night and day.  White has already earned the right to start the remaining 5 games and likely the right to be signed for the next 3-4 years and to be considered for the starting job in 2023.  What are the options?  I don't see how the Jets go back to Wilson. Wilson should remain rostered and, if an injury gives him another opportunity, let him play.  Forget the old guys. NFW on Brady and Rodgers. Each would be a deal with the devil and destroy the franchise for years and alienate the fans.  Garappolo can't stay healthy and is flawed. Carr is like a yo-yo p- up and down his entire career.  Right now, to me, White looks like the best option.  

I do not believe in QB competitions.  There are not enough padded practices in preseason to split reps.  And there are not enough reps to tell who is better.  The best lab is regular season games.  

• Upvote 3

There’s a lot to like about White . He is clearly the best QB on this roster, and the team loves him .  I am getting get some “ Linsanity “ vibes though , with the Bills playing the role of the Miami Heat….man I would love to be wrong . This week is going to be show us all a lot . 

11 hours ago, football guy said:

This year* from what I understand 

We would be the laughingstock of the NFL if we did that. We are just climbing out of that whole, why kick us right back down. If that happens fan base will revolt. Should pass that on to the FO. Would counter everything they have said about changing culture, would also make the JetBlue conspiracy seem probable. SOJ

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Mike White gets the rest of the year. The only way Zach gets another start is if White gets hurt.

My thoughts are:

• White's arm is strong enough to play in this league
  • He was slightly off today accuracy wise, but he has amazing ball placement (hey now). He hits those screen passes better than we have seen here, perfectly in stride
  • His pocket presence is good. Steps up, side steps. Good in the pocket
  • He can stretch the field a bit so I don't have worries there. And we are seeing that he is getting passes in tight windows down the field

My only concern is how damn slow he seems. Not sure if that will come back to bite him. But I want his offseason to be like a Rocky movie so he comes back next year and can take the easy 5 yards when it is in front of him.

Prediction: He leads the Jets to a playoff berth and they win their first game.

He comes back next year with a new contract as the starting QB.

Hold on, your plan for Mike White in the offseason is the following video? I don't know man, I'm skeptical.