Wilson's Bad Footwork (My Theory)

KRL

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

The "yips" isn't an official diagnosis, an actual explanation, nor is it Wilson's only issue, nor would it explain the stupid things he says and does on and off the field. 

I clearly stated it doesn't make him a bad person. He's just not a very smart one. It's not an insult, no more than saying a guy who is 5' 4" isn't tall. Half the population is below average. He's in good company with a world full of idiots.

How did he fake his interviews so well?  Teams all thought he was really smart.  

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

He's had glaring footwork and fundamental problems since college.  Like blatant but everyone excused it away because Chris Simms compared him to Mahomes so everyone fell in love w/ off platform off script rocket arm nonsense.  So this isnt new or just suddenly happened.  This has been his #1 issue since entering the league.  He literally struggles w/ just dropping back properly.  He needed to be broken down and built up on whatever traits you saw in him and he was not ready to play last year.   My biggest issue w/ this regime his how they've handled the QB position and this was all very predictable.

Its funny, Mahomes had some bad fundamental issues in college as well. Andy Reid drafted him, had him sit a year and worked on those fundamentals and never put him in a game until those fundamentals were worked out, and he understood what he was looking at.

Good organizations and good coaches do good things, bad ones do bad things

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I think he does fine under pressure most of the time; he seems (or seemed) to rise to the occasion. I think instead of letting him play to his strengths and getting confidence and a grove, they are focusing on the short pass which is not his strength - he is also so focussed on not throwing INTs (which is good to a point) he is just thinking too much. He looks like Sanchez did in his first 2 years where Rex was ground and pound, don't make mistakes, and great D.

The problem is that ZW isn't that mold. It doesn't mean he can't get there, but it is hard enough to transition to the NFL as a QB without playing with your strengths. If this is the offense they wanted to run, they would have been better off drafting Mac Jones.

Saleh said that the O is plug and play with QBs - ZW and White are completely different QBs - so instead of gearing the O to the strength of the QB he is trying to gear the QB to the offense. Just remember, ZW looked like crap last year too - once he got his QB coach who knew his strengths he was able to clean a lot up.

Not making excuses for ZW and he has to grow the F up. But, this coaching staff isn't doing him any favors.

You think he does fine under pressure???? Have you seen his stats under pressure?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

They would show film and ask him to break it down.   That’s tough to fake.

Again, breaking down film isn't rocket science, especially when it's all you do. It doesn't require critical thinking or innovation, and what you can read in the film room is day and night compared to doing it in real time with Judon coming at you full speed.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Let's remember Wilson's prep for the season, about two weeks into camp in
the first pre-season game (8/12) he injures his knee.  He then loses four
weeks (season started 9/11) of camp reps and technique work as he gets
operated on and rehabs.  Wilson then gets back on the practice field and
starts his first game on 10/2, I believe he focused so much on rehabbing and
playing that he let his footwork go into the toilet.  Even though Saleh said
he wants to get him back onto the field before the season ends, I wonder if
there's enough practice time to correct his flaws

Footwork doesn't get fixed in camp. That is something that gets fixed in the offseason usually with a personal QB coach. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Footwork doesn't get fixed in camp. That is something that gets fixed in the offseason usually with a personal QB coach. 

Correct. It's also something that more often than not, doesn't get fixed at all. If you could easily fix happy feet, we wouldn't have had to give up on Darnold, Smith, Sanchez, Nagle, Tom, Dick, Harry and the rest of the pile of trash we've drafted since Namath.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Again, breaking down film isn't rocket science, especially when it's all you do. It doesn't require critical thinking or innovation, and what you can read in the film room is day and night compared to doing it in real time with Judon coming at you full speed.

That’s different than being unintelligent 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I respectfully disagree, however i have nothing but conjecture to counter your argument with so take it for what its worth. Having worked with some really high end QB coaches before, and coached some D1 talent I can say that very rarely is the situation someone that does not work hard, or believes that their technique is secondary to their raw talent.  When you get guys at that level, they dont get there by accident most of the time.  That has been my experience, you can argue the opposite to be more true, but at least in terms of QB's, I have not found that to be the usual assessment. 

I believe Zach is an extremely hard worker, and places a lot of time and effort into his craft.  HOWEVER, I do believe that currently the game is too much for him to put everything together.  What happens in these situations is that even though the footwork is worked on and fundamentals drilled, His eyes and brain are trying to catch up to the environment around him in game, and with all of that mental aptitude going towards that, there is a trade off in the grounded fundamentals.  He simply cannot currently walk and chew gum at the same time.  This does not mean he will never be able to, I have seen guys in this particular situation before and then finally it all clicks and things work out.  While his footwork needs to be drilled extensively to build a stronger working base, he also has to fix his eyes and understanding of what defenses are doing to him.  Once that is accomplished he will be able to settle himself on every play and play at a level where his mind and body can work as one.  Right now he is too disjointed in this manner. 

I agree with a lot of what you say, however, the guys you described in the bolded part were probably a lot younger than Wilson and didn't have the number of reps he has had.

Mike Tyson famously said, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." I think Wilson just lacks the emotional intelligence to play the position and whenever he is exposed to pressure, he's going to fold. IMO, the ability to keep composure under pressure is something innate, not something that can be learned. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its funny, Mahomes had some bad fundamental issues in college as well. Andy Reid drafted him, had him sit a year and worked on those fundamentals and never put him in a game until those fundamentals were worked out, and he understood what he was looking at.

Good organizations and good coaches do good things, bad ones do bad things

I think Mahomes is just an outlier. 99% of the guys that play his style of ball probably don't work out, he's just a freak and teams need to stop trying to get lucky. It would be like only selecting QBs in the 6th round because of Brady. Process > results. 

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

It's not the footwork, although that's poor, it's that Zach chokes on simple throws. This doesn't go away, some guys just can't perform under pressure.

Ian Rappaport this morning again reported that in the spring people watching ZW thru OTA & mini camp said something was wrong - the belief was that he had the yips - couldn't make the simple throws - couldn't have base mechanics - something was just wrong.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/zach-wilsons-jets-struggles-could-be-case-of-dreaded-yips/

He needs a good QB coach. Someone should call Hackenburg and Ryan Leaf and get them in here to show Zach what NOT TO DO.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

The "yips" isn't an official diagnosis, an actual explanation, nor is it Wilson's only issue, nor would it explain the stupid things he says and does on and off the field. 

I clearly stated it doesn't make him a bad person. He's just not a very smart one. It's not an insult, no more than saying a guy who is 5' 4" isn't tall. Half the population is below average. He's in good company with a world full of idiots, but it does limit his ability to be an effective NFL QB.

The yips renders your point moot, so you deny it exists lol. 

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

It's not the footwork, although that's poor, it's that Zach chokes on simple throws. This doesn't go away, some guys just can't perform under pressure.

Ian Rappaport this morning again reported that in the spring people watching ZW thru OTA & mini camp said something was wrong - the belief was that he had the yips - couldn't make the simple throws - couldn't have base mechanics - something was just wrong.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/zach-wilsons-jets-struggles-could-be-case-of-dreaded-yips/

Whole thing is infuriating because I saw lots of his college tape and he was a machine throwing the ball.  I mean Every pass was on target, not exaggerating in the slightest because the numbers back it up he completed close to 80% of passes.  Not only was Every pass on target but he was getting the ball where it needed to go at varying speeds even so his receiver could pick up the most YAC.  The short stuff, at BYU, he could hit all of that blind folded.

The biggest worry about drafting him was the level of competition he saw in college and I thought that was definitely justified.  To negate that worry was the argument that he can put that ball on his receivers so quickly when he has to ie Cannon arm, it won't even matter because you couple that with his ACCURACY (something we don't know about watching him at the pro level), again it just won't matter, because if you can throw a football like he can and put it right on target playing against 11 Pro-Bowlers shouldn't bother him.  I thought he was definitely worth the risk drafting, some "experts" even thought he was no brainer picking Ahead of the "generational" Trevor Lawrence.

Sucks, his biggest problem is in his head along with there being enough evidence that he doesn't like getting hit (who does, and in the NFL it's pretty much equivalent to getting hit by a car, and that's why I'm all for these guys getting as much money from these je*koff wannabe athlete, used to get stuffed in the gym locker, owners as possible)....and None of that is likely to change.

Hate to say it because I loved the pick and he has All the physical tools to be great but None of the mental ones.  The NFL is not for him.  Kid is a Bust.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Let's remember Wilson's prep for the season, about two weeks into camp in
the first pre-season game (8/12) he injures his knee.  He then loses four
weeks (season started 9/11) of camp reps and technique work as he gets
operated on and rehabs.  Wilson then gets back on the practice field and
starts his first game on 10/2, I believe he focused so much on rehabbing and
playing that he let his footwork go into the toilet.  Even though Saleh said
he wants to get him back onto the field before the season ends, I wonder if
there's enough practice time to correct his flaws

I think his bad footwork is when pressure is coming up the middle. There’s no pocket so he’s unable to to set his feet. 

I also think if his first read isn’t open he’s having a hard time knowing what to do next. Indecision sets in his brain leading to all hell breaking out with his legs. 

50 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Mahomes is just an outlier. 99% of the guys that play his style of ball probably don't work out, he's just a freak and teams need to stop trying to get lucky. It would be like only selecting QBs in the 6th round because of Brady. Process > results. 

Reid knew exactly what he was doing

Whatever it is, clearly it's something that needs his full attention to try and fix. Saleh hit on this in the presser. It's not fair to ask him to try and fix this issue(s) while also asking him to prepare for the next opponent. Not fair to him, not fair to the team. Hopefully it works out; it's in everyone's best interest that it does. 

14 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Whatever it is, clearly it's something that needs his full attention to try and fix. Saleh hit on this in the presser. It's not fair to ask him to try and fix this issue(s) while also asking him to prepare for the next opponent. Not fair to him, not fair to the team. Hopefully it works out; it's in everyone's best interest that it does. 

Well everyone that is a true Jets fan. 

• Upvote 1

Things i notice about zw:

- from draft night videos (nervous) to mid game footage, he gives off confused/scared/overwhelmed look sometimes. 

- the emphasis on zach's "mental" stuff, "110%" ready to play, etc before coming back after injury. There has been a fair amount of comments from ML and RS RE: zach's mentality over the years... we have heard:

- He overthinks stuff... He watches too much tape somehow.... Overthinking details of the entire D on any given play, not the keys/reads for his position... That he wants everything to be "perfect"... etc.   

it all seems like someone with the wrong frame of mind to thrive at QB on the worlds biggest stage. QB in the NFL is hard. I could easily see Zach working out and being REALLY good at some later juncture of his life... but i think that might be VERY unlikely to be for NYJ. If Geno can eventually put it all together, so can ZW. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JiFields said:

He's had glaring footwork and fundamental problems since college.  Like blatant but everyone excused it away because Chris Simms compared him to Mahomes so everyone fell in love w/ off platform off script rocket arm nonsense.  So this isnt new or just suddenly happened.  This has been his #1 issue since entering the league.  He literally struggles w/ just dropping back properly.  He needed to be broken down and built up on whatever traits you saw in him and he was not ready to play last year.   My biggest issue w/ this regime his how they've handled the QB position and this was all very predictable.

This all day. ZW was an easy to spot trainwreck imo but regardless at this point - he needs to be completely debased and made to earn everything/anything moving forward. He has to want it bad enough to transform/mature at the position.

no BS competition next TC with a journeyman like Brisset or Keenum. Someone who is a legit starter who he has to beat if he wants to start. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Wasn’t hackenberg excellent at breaking down film? Gruden was absolutely in love with him 

There is no reason to lose practice time due to an injury,  with the availability of motor imagery as a practice technique, and now with the advent of VR this must be even easier. It’s said the brain can’t distinguish between visualizing moves in your mind vs actual physical moves. They must use this in football, every other sport does. You see skiers skiing their run at the top of the mountain with their eyes closed. For heaven’s sake, I visualize riding my jump course and my dressage test over and over, the day before and day of the show. 

“Motor imagery is a mental process by which an individual rehearses or simulates a given action. It is widely used in sport training as mental practice of action, neurological rehabilitation, and has also been employed as a research paradigm in cognitive neuroscienceand cognitive psychology to investigate the content and the structure of covert processes (i.e., unconscious) that precede the execution of action.[1][2] In some medical, musical, and athletic contexts, when paired with physical rehearsal, mental rehearsal can be as effective as pure physical rehearsal (practice) of an action.[3]”

4 minutes ago, Xtina said:

There is no reason to lose practice time due to an injury,  with the availability of motor imagery as a practice technique, and now with the advent of VR this must be even easier. It’s said the brain can’t distinguish between visualizing moves in your mind vs actual physical moves. They must use this in football, every other sport does. You see skiers skiing their run at the top of the mountain with their eyes closed. For heaven’s sake, I visualize riding my jump course and my dressage test over and over, the day before and day of the show. 

“Motor imagery is a mental process by which an individual rehearses or simulates a given action. It is widely used in sport training as mental practice of action, neurological rehabilitation, and has also been employed as a research paradigm in cognitive neuroscienceand cognitive psychology to investigate the content and the structure of covert processes (i.e., unconscious) that precede the execution of action.[1][2] In some medical, musical, and athletic contexts, when paired with physical rehearsal, mental rehearsal can be as effective as pure physical rehearsal (practice) of an action.[3]”

IBID?????

He needs a ton of time to re work it. It needs to be drilled into him and be muscle memory. That’s not happening in just a couple of weeks with practice. 

Then after that he needs confidence against a pass rush. Otherwise he’ll just keep playing 100mph, footwork all over the place and never slow down. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t buy that he has yips or has lost something he once had. His college tape said it all and it’s just poorly translating to the NFL like a lot of the draft guys on this board thought 

Footwork is 100% coachable and 100% a muscle memory rep thing. When under pressure if his form breaks it’s because good habits weren’t drilled hard enough. He clearly has not drilled this hard enough with a concerted effort long enough. Him being as accurate as he is on sidearm throws and throws with upper body only should be the exception, but he defaults to it when he doesn’t need to and his form breaks down. 

It’s also more than just stepping into throws with proper balance and foot placement. His drops are incongrous to play design at times with way too high of regularity. That’s also a coachable thing that he hasn’t mastered yet. He may work hard, but he’s not working smart enough at the things he’s deficient in. 

I do think his work ethic means something. The question is whether he’s going to work on improving himself in the right areas and whether he’s going to have enough time to get all that done by the time his opportunity here is over. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

30 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I don’t buy that he has yips or has lost something he once had. His college tape said it all and it’s just poorly translating to the NFL like a lot of the draft guys on this board thought 

Footwork is 100% coachable and 100% a muscle memory rep thing. When under pressure if his form breaks it’s because good habits weren’t drilled hard enough. He clearly has not drilled this hard enough with a concerted effort long enough. Him being as accurate as he is on sidearm throws and throws with upper body only should be the exception, but he defaults to it when he doesn’t need to and his form breaks down. 

It’s also more than just stepping into throws with proper balance and foot placement. His drops are incongrous to play design at times with way too high of regularity. That’s also a coachable thing that he hasn’t mastered yet. He may work hard, but he’s not working smart enough at the things he’s deficient in. 

I do think his work ethic means something. The question is whether he’s going to work on improving himself in the right areas and whether he’s going to have enough time to get all that done by the time his opportunity here is over. 

Apropos to your username, this is the best take I've read on here about the topic. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1