This is a pause

slats

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

In this scenario, where Zach never starts again, Who would be worse?

Ron Faurot. but nobody that high and at his position i think hands down Zach Wilson will be the biggest bust in Jet history.

now is he a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf? hard to tell. different ERAs. the stats were way down for all QBs back then

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t think they would put all their eggs on Wilson, but they’re not going to trade high leverage draft picks or spend $40+ million on veteran QBs who are questionable in their own right. That’s not the Joe Douglas way, and while Woody has a reputation for making the splash move, he’s really bought into Joe and is aligned with his vision. 

Make no mistake, Jimmy is going to command massive noney when he becomes a FA, and someone (HOU, IND, TB, SF, LV, ATL, NO) will consider paying him it on a 2/3 year deal. I don’t think that team is the Jets unless Zach’s ability evaporate away (or something like him getting a serious injury before the end of the season). 

More likely they would bring in a capable veteran

Ummmmmm I think that you are really talking about Gardner Minshew!!

IMO Minshew should have already been on the team with Mike White!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Whatever led to them making the dramatic move to bench Zach Wilson had to have been dire enough that makes you think it isn’t reparable in a few weeks. If it was something that minor, they’d have kept him in there and worked on it during the week. Zach has been a terrible player for a long time now, and he’s apparently become an issue in the locker room. The Jets have been relatively successful despite all of that. Mike White doesn’t have to light it up to keep the job; he simply has to be better than the worst quarterback in football.

Hey, we’ll see. Like I said, I do believe that White can hold onto the job but I also believe they genuinely want to get Zach back in the lineup this year and will do so if/when the they feel the time is right. I don’t think Saleh is lying at the podium when he clearly states that Zach’s career as a Jet is over. The situation looking forward just sucks right now. I’d have no problem with it if they decided that they were gonna cut bait with him entirely but I don’t believe that that’s where they’re at. They have too much invested. 

So If they’re thinking about having Zach compete for the starting job next year, what does that look like? White’s not under contract next season so they can just keep him around, they’ll have to pay him for that privilege. Are they gonna pay him and another, higher end vet? Or do they draft a QB to be in the mix, too? Or do they (potentially) go to the playoffs with White and then let him walk in the offseason? This team is not much more than a QB from away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. My hope this season was to have the decision made one way or the other with Zach, and not playing him the rest of the way would feel like punting that chance away until next year (when I’d really prefer the team not to be any sort of QB limbo). 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So you don't think Carr is a possibility?

I mean, I don't think he's particularly "questionable" he's a top NFL QB.  But yes, he'll probably cost at least 1 and huge contract.  

But he's also the kind of guy that win a Super Bowl.  I get the sense from Joe that he doesn't have a specific mentality but rather does what's right in the moment.

Carr like Jimmy G are just too expensive!

i could be wrong but IMO JD is not going to do that and then be in a position to where he has to let go of these young players he has carefully brought in here. 

Think of the Ravens that is not how they operate and it is not the way the Jets will operate going forward either…

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

i could be wrong but IMO JD is not going to do that and then be in a position to where he has to let go these young players he has brought in here. 

Good QB's are expensive.  If the goal is to win a championship, and the Jets believe that Jimmy G helps do that, then they would pay him the money.  The Jets would have to fork over a lot of moolah if they decided to keep Zach long term.  And Jimmy G doesn't cost them a draft pick!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

If, big if, we’ve seen the last of Wilson, I’d argue he’s their biggest bust, draft position and circumstances of particular draft. He’s probably up there with all time nfl busts all things considered if he doesn’t play again

Second only to JaMarcus Russell, which is about as close as you can get especially when you compare them statistically at the exact same points in their careers; 20 games.446037546_ScreenShot2022-11-23at7_49_37PM.thumb.jpeg.cdeadaab1d505f822d2831bfe94513bd.jpeg

• Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

i could be wrong but IMO JD is not going to do that and then be in a position to where he has to let go of these young players he has carefully brought in here. 

Think of the Ravens that is not how they operate and it is not the way the Jets will operate going forward either…

You see, I this is exactly why he does it.  These young guys are mostly still locked up under their rookie deals.  They have a 3 year window where they can afford to pay a QB big money and keep all the young guys.

If there was ever a time to go all in on a QB it's now.  

From what I've seen of JD he'l recognize this and go for it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, Mogglez said:

I’m not going to step on anyone’s toes here, but I vehemently disagree with the notion that the Jets have made this worse, or that anything QB related for next year is a pipe dream.  There is, also, a very good reason that White was promoted a few weeks ago, and I will leave it at that. The decision to bench Zach was not a rash decision based off of one word said in a post game press conference.

It absolutely was the straw that broke the camels back. There was no hidden meaning behind Mike White’s promotion: Mike LaFleur is a Mike White guy and believes he’s the QB most well equipped to run his offense because can be LaFleur’s “joystick”: he knows what the opposing defense is trying to do, knows how the offense is supposed to work, is most consistently accurate im the short passing game, and has ability to create some with his legs/throw on the move. White allows LaFleur’s offense to be run *potentially* more efficient than Zach or Joe at this point of their careers, given their limitations. Best comparable for it is a weak-man’s version of Kirk Cousins when they also had RG3 and Rex Grossman… Kyle wanted his dad to play Kirk because he felt Kirk was best suited to run their offense the way it was designed to be run. 

Yes, LaFleur has quietly preferred White for the present, but starting him did not become realistic until this week. Robert Saleh selected Joe Flacco as his backup because he trusted him most. That produced mixed results. White was promoted to #2 more because LaFleur’s preference of White > Flacco (and Zach, but that’s not to say that part factored into the move). Any notion that the organization was “preparing” to make White #2 to ultimately supplant Zach if things didn’t go well is not anything Bob Saleh or Joe Douglas were greenlighting prior to this week… it simply got to the point where Robert felt sitting Zach was needed both for the short-term success of the team/long-term success of Zach, had a plan that Joe approved of, and LaFleur feeling White is the best QB for his offense at this point. 

But if you’re insinuating that the Jets think Mike White has a chance to be their QBOTF, or that they’re going to hunt for big fish in the QB market, it’s not even close to being realistic right now. They know White isn’t the future. They think he can be a high end backup/winning game manager on a championship caliber roster. That is not much different from what Jimmy Garoppolo is, and while I’m sure the offensive staff would be all for adding him if Zach doesn’t improve, it’s not something Joe Douglas will rubber-stamp. He’s not paying Jimmy $40 million. I’d be willing to bet there’s a greater chance they  trade for Aaron Rodgers and make Zach his backup than landing Jimmy G, absent Zach faceplanting behind the scenes and in game action (when and if he returns) between now and February… also not realistic. Most likely end-result is that they replace Flacco with someone more well equipped to *potentially* have a career reawakening similar to Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Marcus Mariota, etc.

And to be clear: it’s my opinion the Jets made this worse. The Jets and Zach are eternal optimists who think this is going to work. I feel it created more distractions, more pressure, and it could lead to Zach restricting himself on the field even more. There have been plenty of teams who have dealt with young QBs struggling that found ways to work through their development while remaining competitive. Those teams avoided overwhelming their QBs by constantly coaching their QBs, drilling them on fundamentals, and keeping the offense more simple to allow the QB to play freely.

EDIT: to add to this. Everyone knows Zach is cocky. That has never changed. If he’s playing well he’s got big balls and is an alpha personality. If he’s not it rubs teammates the wrong way. Take a look around the league… this is the case with most starting QBs. The backups are always the guys who are more likeable. Carry on

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

Good QB's are expensive.  If the goal is to win a championship, and the Jets believe that Jimmy G helps do that, then they would pay him the money.  The Jets would have to fork over a lot of moolah if they decided to keep Zach long term.  And Jimmy G doesn't cost them a draft pick!

I actually like Jimmy G and think he would be a good QB but not at 35 Million/year good.  One or two injuries on offense for a QB who cannot stretch the field with his throws is very risky and why the 49ers were looking to move off of Jimmy G despite him getting them to a Super Bowl!

That should tell you something, an offensive "guru" wanted to move off of Jimmy G, despite him leading the team to a SB!

Indeed, the reason why Jimmy G is doing so well this year recently, and even he says it, is RB Christen McCaffery.  Indeed, if Hall gets hurt two weeks prior and McCaffery becomes a Jet I believe Wilson is doing fine and still starting that is how good that dude McCaffery truly is!

So yes bring in a vet aka Minshew whose stats are equal to Jimmy G's in many respects for a fraction of the cost and avoid a win-now or-bust scenario that set the team back for three years if it doesn't work out and get you, JD, fired.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You see, I this is exactly why he does it.  These young guys are mostly still locked up under their rookie deals.  They have a 3 year window where they can afford to pay a QB big money and keep all the young guys.

If there was ever a time to go all in on a QB it's now.  

From what I've seen of JD he'l recognize this and go for it. 

Hmmmm perhaps but neither the Ravens nor the Eagles obtained their starting QB that way and I don't that JD will break the mold on what he has been conditioned to do. 

Now if say a Minshew-type level move failed along with not being able to resurrect Wilson then I see that kind of move you suggest being in play but not for next year.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don’t think they would put all their eggs on Wilson, but they’re not going to trade high leverage draft picks or spend $40+ million on veteran QBs who are questionable in their own right. That’s not the Joe Douglas way, and while Woody has a reputation for making the splash move, he’s really bought into Joe and is aligned with his vision. 

Make no mistake, Jimmy is going to command massive noney when he becomes a FA, and someone (HOU, IND, TB, SF, LV, ATL, NO) will consider paying him it on a 2/3 year deal. I don’t think that team is the Jets unless Zach’s ability evaporate away (or something like him getting a serious injury before the end of the season). 

More likely they would bring in a capable veteran

Agree to disagree. Despite what they're saying publicly this feels like the beginning of the end of the Zach era to me. He'll be on the roster next year but there will be a starting caliber QB brought into fight him and likely win the job -- the question is just whether or not they essentially move on from Zach by going to the top of the market or keep him in a real competition in the middle of the market.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmm perhaps but neither the Ravens nor the Eagles obtained their starting QB that way and I don't that JD will break the mold on what he has been conditioned to do. 

Now if say a Minshew-type level move failed along with not being able to resurrect Wilson then I see that kind of move you suggest being in play but not for next year.

I mean, what does Minschew do for you?  

I get what you're saying - but the idea is to win a championship.  Gardner Minschew isn't winning a Super Bowl. IMO, Derek Carr can.

Either way it should be an interesting off-season for the QB position.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree to disagree. Despite what they're saying publicly this feels like the beginning of the end of the Zach era to me. He'll be on the roster next year but there will be a starting caliber QB brought into fight him and likely win the job -- the question is just whether or not they essentially move on from Zach by going to the top of the market or keep him in a real competition in the middle of the market.

I would tend to agree with you, but what they’re saying publically is what they’re saying privately—at least from the people I’ve spoken to in both camps

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2022 at 9:11 AM, slats said:

My gut feeling is that with seven games left, Zach will make his way back on the field, as much as the fan base may be done with him. They just have too much invested in him. In the meantime, though, I will be rooting for Mike White to make that move as difficult as possible. 

I agree, but I haven't seen much from White either. Chris Streveler was the best QB on the Jets in preseason and I would like to see him get a shot. This guy is no rookie - he won a Grey Cup in Canada - and it is a passing league. He looked head and shoulders better than all the other QB's.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

I would tend to agree with you, but what they’re saying publically is what they’re saying privately—at least from the people I’ve spoken to in both camps

I think so too. I never liked this kid from day one. I looked at his stats from BYU and I didn't - and still don't - know what JD saw in him. People in the know called him rich and entitled and he always had the yips when rushed. I think Zach Wilson is a bust.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get what you're saying - but the idea is to win a championship.  Gardner Minschew isn't winning a Super Bowl. IMO, Derek Carr can.

The appeal to Minshew over Carr is in part the appeal of a QB on a rookie deal - the roster you can build around him. All else equal Carr is probably a better quarterback than Minshew - the question is more Carr versus Minshew plus the extra $30-$35M you have to build the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, derp said:

The appeal to Minshew over Carr is in part the appeal of a QB on a rookie deal - the roster you can build around him. All else equal Carr is probably a better quarterback than Minshew - the question is more Carr versus Minshew plus the extra $30-$35M you have to build the roster.

Yes, totally get it.

But - the point I'm making is - this roster is already built.  This roster is ready to win now - this roster has all the talent it needs to win.  And this talent is young enough to keep these players together AND pay a big time QB for 3 or 4 years.

From what I can tell - the only thing missing from being championship caliber is high level QB play.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, slats said:

Hey, we’ll see. Like I said, I do believe that White can hold onto the job but I also believe they genuinely want to get Zach back in the lineup this year and will do so if/when the they feel the time is right. I don’t think Saleh is lying at the podium when he clearly states that Zach’s career as a Jet is over. The situation looking forward just sucks right now. I’d have no problem with it if they decided that they were gonna cut bait with him entirely but I don’t believe that that’s where they’re at. They have too much invested. 

So If they’re thinking about having Zach compete for the starting job next year, what does that look like? White’s not under contract next season so they can just keep him around, they’ll have to pay him for that privilege. Are they gonna pay him and another, higher end vet? Or do they draft a QB to be in the mix, too? Or do they (potentially) go to the playoffs with White and then let him walk in the offseason? This team is not much more than a QB from away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. My hope this season was to have the decision made one way or the other with Zach, and not playing him the rest of the way would feel like punting that chance away until next year (when I’d really prefer the team not to be any sort of QB limbo). 

I think I’d be more inclined to agree with you if Zach was simply bumped down to #2 and was getting a share of the snaps in practice, but he’s been exiled to the scout team and LaFleur was comparing his existence to that of a practice squad player. It’s my opinion that they’d like to see Zach earn his way back into playing this year, but they’re acting like that’d either be a bonus for them, or the result of catastrophe with White and Flacco. I think Wilson’s future is getting dangled as a trade chip in the offseason and hoping some egomaniac coach bites on it. I think Carr is the Jets QB1 next year

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Any notion that the organization was “preparing” to make White #2 to ultimately supplant Zach if things didn’t go well is not anything Bob Saleh or Joe Douglas were greenlighting prior to this week… it simply got to the point where Robert felt sitting Zach was needed both for the short-term success of the team/long-term success of Zach, had a plan that Joe approved of, and LaFleur feeling White is the best QB for his offense at this point. 

This part is not accurate/Incorrect 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, derp said:

I always thought Minshew was a good qb that got elevated more due to his cult hero status.  Upon further review, in 28 games (22 starts) he’s a 63% completion and a 41-12 td-int ratio.  I was shocked at that, 41-12 is pretty freakin good!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think that @UntouchableCrew has good post in this thread on why you might not go for the very top free-agent QB in the pool. 

I think Minshew fits the bill because I am not sold on the fact that the Jets are moving away from Zach Wilson yet.  They think that Wilson is someone who the Jets believe is a tremendous talent and want to get a chance to bring it out of Wilson.

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, totally get it.

But - the point I'm making is - this roster is already built.  This roster is ready to win now - this roster has all the talent it needs to win.  And this talent is young enough to keep these players together AND pay a big time QB for 3 or 4 years.

From what I can tell - the only thing missing from being championship caliber is high level QB play.

The difference from this coming offseason from previous ones is Carr doesn’t just reduce the team’s ability to add guys, they need to remove guys from the roster to fit him. I guess it’s just a question of how important the guys they’d get rid of are, how they can be replaced, and then what’s the avenue to do stuff like bringing in a cheap center since there isn’t one on the roster next year right now.

I don’t think it’s clear cut, but you’re talking about adding a QB from a roster that was supposed to contend and has a top 5 WR in the league but would be picking fourth in the draft if it was today. I know their OL is bad but   that team isn’t devoid of talent (Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs has been unbelievable) and Carr isn’t exactly tearing it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

I always thought Minshew was a good qb that got elevated more due to his cult hero status.  Upon further review, in 28 games (22 starts) he’s a 63% completion and a 41-12 td-int ratio.  I was shocked at that, 41-12 is pretty freakin good!

People don't realize that he is a very good, maybe not great QB....but the key fact is he complied those stats on a bad team that was not supporting him in any way.  In fact that they had to bench him because he was good enough to win games despite the team around him being awful!

Finally, Minshew is a QB that could play in this market and who wouldn't be overwhelmed by the NY/NJ media or the city

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I’d be more inclined to agree with you if Zach was simply bumped down to #2 and was getting a share of the snaps in practice, but he’s been exiled to the scout team and LaFleur was comparing his existence to that of a practice squad player. It’s my opinion that they’d like to see Zach earn his way back into playing this year, but they’re acting like that’d either be a bonus for them, or the result of catastrophe with White and Flacco. I think Wilson’s future is getting dangled as a trade chip in the offseason and hoping some egomaniac coach bites on it. I think Carr is the Jets QB1 next year

My hope is White plays well enough for a White vs. Wilson vs. round 2-4 pick (hopefully Michael Penix so my fantasy teams next year basically name themselves) competition in camp next year to be a viable option and the Jets simultaneously start compiling high draft picks in future years. Basically if the Jets can do what the Eagles did during the 2021 offseason when they weren’t sure what the deal with Hurts was.

Or just say **** it this roster can compete with competent cheap QB play and trade up for Bryce Young.

Reclamation project is third on the list and I’m not sure who’s especially appealing. Minshew is more give him a chance than reclamation project and I wouldn’t hate that.

Gutting the roster to fit Derek Carr, $40M QB of the 3-7 Raiders despite an elite run game and WR, would be very Jets-y but not very Joe Douglas-y. Garoppolo would make sense in several ways but won’t be cheap, strikes me as more likely than Carr though.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, derp said:

The difference from this coming offseason from previous ones is Carr doesn’t just reduce the team’s ability to add guys, they need to remove guys from the roster to fit him. I guess it’s just a question of how important the guys they’d get rid of are, how they can be replaced, and then what’s the avenue to do stuff like bringing in a cheap center since there isn’t one on the roster next year right now.

I don’t think it’s clear cut, but you’re talking about adding a QB from a roster that was supposed to contend and has a top 5 WR in the league but would be picking fourth in the draft if it was today. I know their OL is bad but   that team isn’t devoid of talent (Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs has been unbelievable) and Carr isn’t exactly tearing it up.

You are 100% right here.

I'll say it again JD is following the model of the Ravens and Eagles, neither of which team used the blueprint of getting a big-name free agent in to win games.  Indeed, the Eagles won an SB with their backup QB, Nick Foles!

Why, in the world would you do anything to disrupt the young team's chemistry by potentially bringing in a guy that might force you to cut some folks?

Finally, despite what people think, the Jets have NOT given up on Zach Wilson yet and they are going to want to see him get a chance to turn this situation around.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You are 100% right here.

I'll say it again JD is following the model of the Ravens and Eagles, neither of which team used the blueprint of getting a big-name free agent in to win games.  Indeed, the Eagles won an SB with their backup QB, Nick Foles!

Why, in the world would you do anything to disrupt the young team's chemistry by potentially bringing in a guy that might force you to cut some folks?

Finally, despite what people think, the Jets have NOT given up on Zach Wilson yet and they are going to want to see him get a chance to turn this situation around.

We'll see if you also agree with my third post on the topic just above haha. 

I think the Jets obviously want Wilson to turn things around - he's cost controlled for three more years if he does. However, I think prior to this point his opportunities have been given more than they've been earned, and I think he needs to earn them now. Clean up the footwork, study, make good decisions, be a good teammate, tear it up in practice, climb the depth chart, force the team to give him play time, etc.

I'd also add that as you said both the Ravens and Eagles have won Super Bowls recently with QB's on rookie deals. Best way to build a loaded roster. I'd think Douglas goes back to the rookie well before the veteran well.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

We'll see if you also agree with my third post on the topic just above haha. 

I think the Jets obviously want Wilson to turn things around - he's cost controlled for three more years if he does. However, I think prior to this point his opportunities have been given more than they've been earned, and I think he needs to earn them now. Clean up the footwork, study, make good decisions, be a good teammate, tear it up in practice, climb the depth chart, force the team to give him play time, etc.

derp, my friend, we are 100% in agreement here!

The key is the Jets are not going to mortgage their future who might work out here, especially when they want to see Zach Wilson turn it around!

If Breece Hall doesn't get hurt Jets would be in 1st place right now and Zach would still be QB right or wrong.  That is the formula we need Breece or another Breece with good defense.

Question is who gets to play with Breece when he gets back assuming he gets back to way he was.

I think MLF has been in over his head and I really hope he starts getting better because all we have seen for 2 years is a guy doing on the job training and during his pressers saying how he needs to be better (yeah well no sh*t).  Breece literally breathed fire into his offense by himself even on blown plays making every 3rd down short yardage.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

If jets are winning, and in playoff hunt. I don’t see how they go back to Wilson this yr. That would be a huge risk. He has to earn his way back to backup from 3rd spot now.

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, Mogglez said:

I’m not going to step on anyone’s toes here, but I vehemently disagree with the notion that the Jets have made this worse, or that anything QB related for next year is a pipe dream.  There is, also, a very good reason that White was promoted a few weeks ago, and I will leave it at that. The decision to bench Zach was not a rash decision based off of one word said in a post game press conference.

Well he is going to need to be way better than he was last year if we want to win any games. Turnover machine and not very mobile.