This is a pause

slats

27 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

People don't realize that he is a very good, maybe not great QB....but the key fact is he complied those stats on a bad team that was not supporting him in any way.  In fact that they had to bench him because he was good enough to win games despite the team around him being awful!

Finally, Minshew is a QB that could play in this market and who wouldn't be overwhelmed by the NY/NJ media or the city

Could you imagine Minshew Mania in Ny?  MetLife would be full of handle bar mustaches! 
But I think he’s a great combo of actually being quite good, he won’t break the bank, still young with room to develop, but also won’t come in as the undisputed starter allowing for a competition.

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think we are somewhat on the same page with what we have heard, with one crucial discrepancy (not saying that either one of us is “more right”, just that we have heard different), which is that Zach will not have the keys to the kingdom unchallenged, as he has in years past, and that a move for someone more prominent is on the table if it can be done (which will be, admittedly IMO, incredibly hard given the market will dictate the prices).  If you are interested, I can shoot you a PM with what I have heard to discuss, as I still prefer to keep those discussions there.

No disagreement here. They will always look to acquire talent and want to foster a competitive environment. That’s the organizational MO. But the staff is highly aware that there will be ramifications if they simply “give up” on developing a talent they were all so unanimously bullish of. Absent Zach further regressing in practice and games when (and if) he returns this season, Joe Douglas is not totally giving up on him. And with that, I don’t think Saleh or LaFleur either. I think fans are getting the sense that LaFleur likes Mike White better as an absolute, which is a flawed and inaccurate conclusion. He likes Mike White better right now. He sees things the same way Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Gary Kubiak, Kevin Stefanski, and all the others from that tree have: if you find a QB with raw athletic gifts who is capable of supplementing their playmaking ability with efficient down-to-down play, that player will foster an unstoppable offense. But if the talented guy is not efficient, they will go with the efficient guy in the near-term every time. 

If the team performs extremely well again next year and Zach (or a vet competitor) still holds them back from contending for a championship, I do believe Douglas and Saleh would get a pass and be free to acquire another QB how they see fit in 2024. The sense I have always gotten is that won’t be the case in 2023 though

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

My hope is White plays well enough for a White vs. Wilson vs. round 2-4 pick (hopefully Michael Penix so my fantasy teams next year basically name themselves) competition in camp next year to be a viable option and the Jets simultaneously start compiling high draft picks in future years. Basically if the Jets can do what the Eagles did during the 2021 offseason when they weren’t sure what the deal with Hurts was.

Or just say **** it this roster can compete with competent cheap QB play and trade up for Bryce Young.

Reclamation project is third on the list and I’m not sure who’s especially appealing. Minshew is more give him a chance than reclamation project and I wouldn’t hate that.

Gutting the roster to fit Derek Carr, $40M QB of the 3-7 Raiders despite an elite run game and WR, would be very Jets-y but not very Joe Douglas-y. Garoppolo would make sense in several ways but won’t be cheap, strikes me as more likely than Carr though.

In a world where Douglas decides to go for it and sign one of the free agent QBs, the Jets are pretty well positioned to get away with it in the short term. They already have replacements on the roster for cut candidates Carl Lawson and Corey Davis, and they don’t have any big extensions coming up except for Quinnen Williams. They’re not going to extend Becton or Mims, so they have smooth sailing cap-wise. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Gary Kubiak, Kevin Stefanski, and all the others from that tree

The thing with all of these guys is that they all ended up going back to the unathletic steady hand at QB, no matter how much they flirted with the idea of a young stud with feet.

• Upvote 1

this Zach discussion is a metaphor for alot and it is not over. Not by a long shot. 

Both groups grasp at any evidence to prove their point but neither give ground. So it becomes a war that no one wins. Like Thanksgiving table. 

If this rant has a point it's that let's remember we are all Jets fans and that's a family, folks. A big dysfunctional sociopathic tribe of people who, through some kind of misfortune, chose to be a Jets fans. Being born into it is a choice too as evidenced by my giants fan brother and all the split families. 

we all want what is best for the team.  We all have the tremendous common ground of rooting for this insane franchise. 

Winning solves all these problems, all these differences and despite being 6-4 the bandwagon still has room.

so let's just jet the fk up and enjoy these wins that are on the way. The coin promised. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

Could you imagine Minshew Mania in Ny?  MetLife would be full of handle bar mustaches! 
But I think he’s a great combo of actually being quite good, he won’t break the bank, still young with room to develop, but also won’t come in as the undisputed starter allowing for a competition.

Your point is my point!

Minshew is good on the cheap and could get a lot out of our offense and enough for us to win on a consistent basis while giving Zach a chance if that is what the Jets want to do..

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In a world where Douglas decides to go for it and sign one of the free agent QBs, the Jets are pretty well positioned to get away with it in the short term. They already have replacements on the roster for cut candidates Carl Lawson and Corey Davis, and they don’t have any big extensions coming up except for Quinnen Williams. They’re not going to extend Becton or Mims, so they have smooth sailing cap-wise. 

I think roster wise looking at losing guys like Lawson and Davis, it’s doable but the team is still worse than with them.

Projected $17M in cap space without a full roster, a chunk goes to draft picks, losing Lawson and Davis gets them probably to afford Carr or Garoppolo and a draft class. Need a bargain basement starters to replace McGovern, Quincy Williams, Joyner, and Zuerlein with only the draft and minimum level guys to accomplish that, upgrade the roster elsewhere, develop pipelines for the aging OL and LB groups, etc.

Ultimately I don’t think it’s as simple as it sounds on paper. The bet is that Carr or Garoppolo with a worse team than this year’s is a Super Bowl contender - but this team is worse than SF before it gets even worse to fit Garoppolo and Carr isn’t producing at a high on what’s currently a flawed but talented roster (elite run game, WR, other good pass catchers). I think that bet is almost certain to fail, to the point that it’s not worth trying.

Similar to how I felt about just taking a shot on their favorite QB at #2 on 2021 and playing him immediately on a trash roster with a rookie coaching staff.

I go back to this idea a lot - Super Bowl winning QB’s are effectively rookies, Hall of Famers (Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning) and Stafford. Shy of a HOFer coming available, which Carr is not, I’ll roll the dice on a rookie.

Adding Carr to this roster feels like a recipe to be a worse version of the Rams that doesn’t fully go for it, exits in the wild card, and then gets the hangover anyway.

I realize I’m ragging on him not Garoppolo, but the SF now is better than the Jets now argument seems like enough. He’s either not able to win on a better team or he wins and I doubt they let him go (or he wants to go). Not to mention his injury history.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this Zach discussion is a metaphor for alot and it is not over. Not by a long shot. 

Both groups grasp at any evidence to prove their point but neither give ground. So it becomes a war that no one wins. Like Thanksgiving table. 

If this rant has a point it's that let's remember we are all Jets fans and that's a family, folks. A big dysfunctional sociopathic tribe of people who, through some kind of misfortune, chose to be a Jets fans. Being born into it is a choice too as evidenced by my giants fan brother and all the split families. 

we all want what is best for the team.  We all have the tremendous common ground of rooting for this insane franchise. 

Winning solves all these problems, all these differences and despite being 6-4 the bandwagon still has room.

so let's just jet the fk up and enjoy these wins that are on the way. The coin promised. 

05517A8A-C6CE-4B4D-908D-6403C54CBDFA.jpeg

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The thing with all of these guys is that they all ended up going back to the unathletic steady hand at QB, no matter how much they flirted with the idea of a young stud with feet.

I’m very aware of this. But that’s also where I personally find the inherent flaw in their system and perspective: they want guys who have the traits, but they lack the patience to develop them (or aren’t awarded it). This coaching tree looks at players more like chess pieces and less like human beings. The offense expects its assets to do precisely what they want them to do in a given situation in order to produce a given result. Part of its genius has also been its curse in this respect, but Mike McDaniel appears to be on his way of breaking the trend because he’s more of an “empathetic” coach that is admittedly more keen on finding areas to accommodate the talent rather than forcing the talent to fit than his predecessors. 

The reason why it’s such a favorable offense is because it’s easy for someone to step into and be successful once they understand it. It’s built to answer questions for knowledgeable QBs prior to the plays happening. The problem: there’s a ton of nuance to it and a lot of responsibility on the QB mentally, which is typically a lot for a young QB to absorb. I’d argue that if there were more patient with young and talented QBs in this offense—specific case being Jay Cutler—it would produce fireworks more frequently. Instead, we’ve come to see it work with talented QBs who have already learned the nitty gritty about defenses and understand the nuances of the game; all they really needed to learn is the scheme of the offense, which is a much easier and quicker process for a veteran QB than it is a young one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, derp said:

The difference from this coming offseason from previous ones is Carr doesn’t just reduce the team’s ability to add guys, they need to remove guys from the roster to fit him. I guess it’s just a question of how important the guys they’d get rid of are, how they can be replaced, and then what’s the avenue to do stuff like bringing in a cheap center since there isn’t one on the roster next year right now.

I don’t think it’s clear cut, but you’re talking about adding a QB from a roster that was supposed to contend and has a top 5 WR in the league but would be picking fourth in the draft if it was today. I know their OL is bad but   that team isn’t devoid of talent (Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs has been unbelievable) and Carr isn’t exactly tearing it up.

He’s on pace for 4,000 yards, 25td and 7 int.  Top 10 QBR.  

Carr is not the reason for that mess.  
who couldn’t the Jets keep if they signed him?    
You need goos QB play to win championship. Gardner Minschew isn’t the answer.  I would like to try and win a Super Bowl.  Not being satisfied just not to suck.   

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, slats said:

My ideal QB room either has Zach as the clear starter or removed from consideration entirely. If they make a move for a veteran QB, I want it to be a major move. Not a lukewarm place-holder like Minshew or Heinecke. This limbo crap is what I wanted to avoid. 

Like I said last year when Rodgers was having all those issues in GB and was not yet signed the Jets should have tried to make a move. At that point Rodgers knew this team had talent on offense but money wise it was just not attainable for the Jets. My idea in general was to get a guy with 2-3 years left that Zach and White could learn from since neither of them were in the same zip code as QB's .... and right now this team would probably be 8-2 or 9-1 . I don't want to get into the debate as to why it could not happen monetarily but in the grand scheme of things it would have been great for Both QB's to learn from Rodgers especially Zach who seems to have the same physical tools as Rodgers he just lacks the toughness in the pocket and the speed to process that game because no it has not slowed down yet for Zach its just getting faster and faster from what I see

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You need goos QB play to win championship. Gardner Minschew isn’t the answer.  I would like to try and win a Super Bowl.  Or being satisfied just not to suck.   

The stupidity of fans who Bash guys like Carr, Garoppolo, and Cousins never ceases to amaze me. Especially rooting for a team who never had a QB approaching the numbers those guys put up year after year. Carr plays on a garbage team. Cousins was coached by a guy the game passed by and Garoppolo was one completion from a SB victory.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You need goos QB play to win championship. Gardner Minschew isn’t the answer.  I would like to try and win a Super Bowl.  Or being satisfied just not to suck.   

He’s not the reason for the mess, but he’s also not good enough to elevate what’s not a bad roster beyond being 3-7.

He’s making $40M annually, the Jets are $17M under the cap before signing a rookie class. You’re effectively looking at losing something like Lawson, Davis, McGovern, and the ability to upgrade at spots like safety and linebacker instead of signing bargain basement guys.

You need elite QB play or a rookie deal. Not good QB play. Only non HOF veteran starting contract QB to win in the last like 25 years is Stafford. Other than that it’s Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, and teams with a rookie QB. Foles won as a cheap vet on a team with a QB on a rookie deal. But the point remains even with him, loaded roster because of a rookie QB or elite QB play.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I think roster wise looking at losing guys like Lawson and Davis, it’s doable but the team is still worse than with them.

Projected $17M in cap space without a full roster, a chunk goes to draft picks, losing Lawson and Davis gets them probably to afford Carr or Garoppolo and a draft class. Need a bargain basement starters to replace McGovern, Quincy Williams, Joyner, and Zuerlein with only the draft and minimum level guys to accomplish that, upgrade the roster elsewhere, develop pipelines for the aging OL and LB groups, etc.

Ultimately I don’t think it’s as simple as it sounds on paper. The bet is that Carr or Garoppolo with a worse team than this year’s is a Super Bowl contender - but this team is worse than SF before it gets even worse to fit Garoppolo and Carr isn’t producing at a high on what’s currently a flawed but talented roster (elite run game, WR, other good pass catchers). I think that bet is almost certain to fail, to the point that it’s not worth trying.

Similar to how I felt about just taking a shot on their favorite QB at #2 on 2021 and playing him immediately on a trash roster with a rookie coaching staff.

I go back to this idea a lot - Super Bowl winning QB’s are effectively rookies, Hall of Famers (Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning) and Stafford. Shy of a HOFer coming available, which Carr is not, I’ll roll the dice on a rookie.

Adding Carr to this roster feels like a recipe to be a worse version of the Rams that doesn’t fully go for it, exits in the wild card, and then gets the hangover anyway.

I realize I’m ragging on him not Garoppolo, but the SF now is better than the Jets now argument seems like enough. He’s either not able to win on a better team or he wins and I doubt they let him go (or he wants to go). Not to mention his injury history.

@FidelioJet I got lazy because I didn’t want to retype this but here a more flushed out version of what I was just saying in response to you.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Hard to make the case for Carr over Minshew in terms of costs. Carr would cost high draft picks and has $113M -albeit not guaranteed- coming over the next three years. I’m not gonna speculate on Minshew’s next contract (except to say it’ll be a lot less than that), but he’s played pretty well for some pretty poor teams. I’m not sure he’d be any worse than Carr straight up. Have to be pretty damn certain to justify that cost differential. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Hard to make the case for Carr over Minshew in terms of costs. Carr would cost high draft picks and has $113M -albeit not guaranteed- coming over the next three years. I’m not gonna speculate on Minshew’s next contract (except to say it’ll be a lot less than that), but he’s played pretty well for some pretty poor teams. I’m not sure he’d be any worse than Carr straight up. Have to be pretty damn certain to justify that cost differential. 

This is my point!

IMO if Carr is better than Minshew, he isn’t 25 Million or more better than Minshew. 

16 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'd rather get Mariota over Minshew or JG. Ones overrated and the other is an injury prone geezer. Mariota is dangerous, still fairly young, has class, and could benefit from a great running game next ear of Hall/Carter/ Robinson.

Dangerous hasn’t been a word used to describe Mariota in nearly a decade. 

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Minschew can't even find a starting job in a QB starved league, while Carr has consistently been a top 10/4,000 yards guy.

If we're making the assumption that Zach isn't the guy and the Jets are bringing in a starter not Zach competition (and for the purpose of this discussion let's just make it - even if it might not be the case)

There is a big talent gap between the Carr and Mindschew.  

I do get what you guys are saying and I think it's a reasonable and fair assessment - I get what it's going to cost, it's why missing on Zach sucks so badly.

But that is the situation we're faced with.  We have, what might be, an elite level defense.  We have weapons on O - and we have an OL that can be dominant when/if healthy.

Take that and add top 10 QB and you have a legit shot at winning a Super Bowl.  Surely it might fail, but I would rather roll the dice and go for it - than settle for a Mindscew who will keep the team playing meaningful games in December for the next few years - but never really gives us a shot to win a Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, derp said:

My new plan is to play Mike White this year and next, trade Zach, then try for Caleb Williams in 04. Let it be written

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

If Zach Wilson never starts another game for the Jets, he’s in the conversation for the biggest draft bust in Jets franchise history and ……. that would be quite an accomplishment.

2nd overall picks in Jet history.  Lam Jones, Blair Thomas and Zach Wilson.  I would have to give it some thought as to biggest bust, but it likely would be a lively debate.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

People don't realize that he is a very good, maybe not great QB....but the key fact is he complied those stats on a bad team that was not supporting him in any way.  In fact that they had to bench him because he was good enough to win games despite the team around him being awful!

Finally, Minshew is a QB that could play in this market and who wouldn't be overwhelmed by the NY/NJ media or the city

So...basically what you're saying is that Jacksonville benched Minshew to garner a better draft choice. And then, even though he is so freaking awesome that he had to be benched, trade him to Philadelphia for a 6th round DP while settling for CJ Bethard as back up.

Got it.  Doesn't make a lick of sense, but....got it.

Meanwhile, our savior, Mike White couldn't get a team to sign him for a 5th rd tender this past off-season.  Got it.

If Minshew is 'all that', why didn't someone WOW the Eagles with a trade proposal for him this trade window?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My new plan is to play Mike White this year and next, trade Zach, then try for Caleb Williams in 04. Let it be written

I think this is part of why White is a thing right now. It’s almost needs to be Wilson, vet, draft pick next TC. If the vet can be a guy who’s been on the roster, knows the system, is liked in the locker room, and played well to close 2022 - awesome. Moreover, I joke about the Foles thing, but this roster is loaded and Foles got hot and won the Super Bowl on a loaded roster with a #2 overall pick at QB who rubbed people the wrong way. All that to say, let’s listen to the magnet on my fridge - **** around and find out.

And kind of like I was getting at earlier, this situation can be like the Eagles with Hurts in 2021. Just load up on future draft capital. Need a QB? You’ve got ammo. Don’t? You’ve got assets to put around your QB.

This is a nice class with a bunch of seniors who’ve ended their career well, won some games, presumably will play at the Senior Bowl, and will go in the round 2-4 range. Great year to shoot a shot at one of those guys and see if you get lucky with a Prescott, Wilson, or Hurts in the middle of the draft. And if not and they’ve got extra capital for 2024, the rule of QB’s is that next year’s class is always better - but between Williams and Maye there are definitely interesting guys.

At the end of the day this current roster is 6-4 with bottom of the league QB play and given a choice I’d rather see if I can find a rookie contract guy who will give say middle of the league QB play or more on a good roster than reshape to fit a middle of the league level QB and see how he does on a roster that’s worse than this one. Feels like a better risk-reward. Worst case we’re back where we started with bottom of the league level play, reasonable case you get five years of middle of the road QB play cheap, long shot you get a Mahomes/Allen/Herbert (two of whom were traded up for and none of whom went top five).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tyler Huntley, the Ravens backup.  

Will be a FA next year and the Ravens have to lay out the big dollars for Lamar.

Only 24 yeas old.

Imo would be a good tier two QB alternative.  The guy can run and has looked good the times I've seen him play.

I wish someone would explain to me, at this point, why they like players like Huntley and ignore Streveler.  Really?

Huntley has tooth pick legs and isn't any faster than Streveler.  They've both looked good in limited NFL play so far.

I have NO issues with giving Huntley a look, but jeez...before you look at someone like Huntley, would love to see them close the book on someone like Strevelr.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

I wish someone would explain to me, at this point, why they like players like Huntley and ignore Streveler.  Really?

Huntley has tooth pick legs and isn't any faster than Streveler.  They've both looked good in limited NFL play so far.

I have NO issues with giving Huntley a look, but jeez...before you look at someone like Huntley, would love to see them close the book on someone like Strevelr.

Being Canadian I've seen strevler play a lot.  He cannot throw well enough over time.  Huntley is a far better passer.  But that is just my eval.

There are other QBs out there but if we keep wilson and white we need another viable guy strevler despite is great preason play is not that if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Being Canadian I've seen strevler play a lot.  He cannot throw well enough over time.  Huntley is a far better passer.  But that is just my eval.

There are other QBs out there but if we keep wilson and white we need another viable guy strevler despite is great preason play is not that if you ask me.

Excellent response, and much appreciated.

Doubt White can throw well enough over time either to get you the next level....Huntley too.  And I'd wager Streveler is a much better runner than either.

Not looking for Streveler to be the starter of course, but IMO he's just as capable or even moreso of being an adequate back up just due to his ability to run and stretch the field.  He can handle the short stuff passing while the downfield stuff may be lacking I agree.

Just think they should evaluate him before the end of the season...then either keep him or move on.  He's just an athlete who people seem to rally around.

40 minutes ago, Lith said:

2nd overall picks in Jet history.  Lam Jones, Blair Thomas and Zach Wilson.  I would have to give it some thought as to biggest bust, but it likely would be a lively debate.

Lam Jones will be hard to beat as the worst. but im not sure many people even remember him. i dont and i became a Jet fan around 81 when i was 8. then again he didnt do anything that i would remember him. 

Zach though plays the most important position and is fresh in everyones mind so he would win a poll. probably to early to have one as i see a bunch of people have not given up on him.