This is a pause

slats

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wilson isn't due for an extension anytime soon, if ever.

Also, are FLASHES the random wow-throw he makes, or the hot flashes his bedmates have? (Which incidentally can cut down on heating bills in the winter; fun fact).

Uh, when did I - of all posters - suggest that the Jets should extend Zach Wilson?    The excuse bingo sheet is just a handy way of saying show me some facts.  Zach is the factless prospect.  We know almost nothing about him.  His RAS sheet is empty. 

I do think he has value though.  We will trade him.  Hey Sperm?  Is Hal correct that the Jets take a $20 million salary cap hit if we trade him in the off season?  I thought not.

14 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Uh, when did I - of all posters - suggest that the Jets should extend Zach Wilson?    The excuse bingo sheet is just a handy way of saying show me some facts.  Zach is the factless prospect.  We know almost nothing about him.  His RAS sheet is empty. 

I do think he has value though.  We will trade him.  Hey Sperm?  Is Hal correct that the Jets take a $20 million salary cap hit if we trade him in the off season?  I thought not.

I meant in comparison of a White extension that was also being discussed (maybe I got the wrong thread lol).

Also no Hal's not correct, if that's what he said about trading Wilson. That'd only be right - and only sort of - if he was released, since (as a #2 overall pick) his salaries are fully guaranteed. They'd only take an accelerated hit on money already paid to him by the Jets; if they trade with someone, then that other team will be assuming those guaranteed future-payment obligations of ~$9MM. 

Also even aying the Jets take a cap hit of what's left - $11.5MM - is itself a loaded way of putting it. They take that hit whether they trade him or whether they don't; they certainly don't take a larger hit if he's traded than if he's kept, like some sort of penalty. Half that $11.5MM was already going to hit next year no matter what (and the rest of it the following season in 2024). It is not avoidable whether keeping, cutting, trading, massaging, blowing, or doing anything to him; they already paid him that money, and only half of it's come off the cap so far, so the other half must come off as well.

The only thing that might change is whether both halves of that $11.5MM hit in '23 or whether they're spread over 2 seasons instead; and then in either case whether the Jets pay his upcoming salaries or someone else pays them.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I meant in comparison of a White extension that was also being discussed (maybe I got the wrong thread lol).

Also no Hal's not correct, if that's what he said about trading Wilson. That'd only be right - and only sort of - if he was released, since (as a #2 overall pick) his salaries are fully guaranteed. They'd only take an accelerated hit on money already paid to him by the Jets; if they trade with someone, then that other team will be assuming those guaranteed future-payment obligations of ~$9MM. 

Also even aying the Jets take a cap hit of what's left - $11.5MM - is itself a loaded way of putting it. They take that hit whether they trade him or whether they don't; they certainly don't take a larger hit if he's traded than if he's kept, like some sort of penalty. Half that $11.5MM was already going to hit next year no matter what (and the rest of it the following season in 2024). It is not avoidable whether keeping, cutting, trading, massaging, blowing, or doing anything to him; they already paid him that money, and only half of it's come off the cap so far, so the other half must come off as well.

The only thing that might change is whether both halves of that $11.5MM hit in '23 or whether they're spread over 2 seasons instead; and then in either case whether the Jets pay his upcoming salaries or someone else pays them.

Shooting Star GIF

That doesn’t sound too cost prohibitive if it’s only 11.5 million and they get picks back. 

I’d guess they want to see him in camp no matter what - unless they already made up their mind.

34 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Shooting Star GIF

That doesn’t sound too cost prohibitive if it’s only 11.5 million and they get picks back. 

I’d guess they want to see him in camp no matter what - unless they already made up their mind.

The point is more that it doesn't "cost" $11.5MM. That $ is already spent. 

The "would you rather" is more along the lines of what isn't a sunk cost:

a - Wilson for another $9MM (truly dirt cheap for a starting QB) over the upcoming 2 seasons

vs.

b - Someone else pays that $9MM, Jets put that $ towards White or someone else, and also get whatever pick(s) he yields in trade.